This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

No vaccine, no show

On 9/7/2021 at 10:31 PM, canbelto said:

I'm a little confused by this. There are several prominent Russian dancers who clearly wear masks not onstage but in life, judging from their social media.

Quite a few. It seems masks are used in life (and, if I understand correctly) in the Mariinsky when not actively dancing/rehearsing, etc. at least in some areas. No idea how or if it's enforced at all, or if they've moved past it. But sure, the dancers follow the rules just like anywhere else. They are a bit more relaxed about the whole mask thing in Russia and Eastern Europe, but people still wear them. Plus, Mariinsky also has several dancers from countries where masks are more common. I didn't mean to imply they weren't wearing masks at all- just not using them in the studio or stage.

Sarasota Ballet has the unfortunate reality of being in Florida. They have come up with a policy that admittance requires EITHER a negative test or proof of vaccine. Masks required for all. That might be the best they can do, given their governor. 

Updates to The Sarasota Ballet's
COVID-19 Safety Protocol

Dear Sarasota Ballet Family,

As we prepare to reopen for our 2021 - 2022 Season, the performing arts are once again facing challenges. In light of the recent COVID-19 Delta variant-based resurgence, many patrons have requested stronger COVID protocols be established as a prerequisite for attending performances.

We have communicated with other major performing arts organizations in the Sarasota community, and have collectively agreed upon several protective measures in order to uphold vigilant health and safety protocols for the well-being of our dancers, staff, and patrons.

Effective September 26th, 2021, we will uniformly implement the following policy:
  • all patrons aged 12 and older must show either:
    • a negative PCR COVID-19 test administered by a medical provider or official testing center no earlier than 72 hours before the time of our performance, or
    • a negative rapid antigen COVID-19 test administered by a medical professional or official testing center no earlier than 24 hours prior to the time of our performance. Home testing kit results will not be accepted for entry.
  • If patrons prefer, CDC or an other official vaccination record showing patrons are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (at least 14 days since the final dose) may be voluntarily presented at the door as an acceptable alternative to negative COVID-19 test results.
  • Both physical and electronic presentation of documents will be accepted. Photo identification must accompany the presentation of all documents.
  • All patrons over age 5, regardless of vaccination or testing status, must wear masks over their nose and mouth at all times while inside the venue
Details may be revised based on CDC guidance and the evolving circumstances of the pandemic.
Click Here for the Full Joint Statement
With this policy established, we are happy to announce that single tickets to our 2021 - 2022 Season will be available for purchase shortly; when this occurs, we will distribute another communication to remind you.

We appreciate your patience and understanding as we continue to address the COVID-19 pandemic.

Many thanks,
The Sarasota Ballet

There was an Executive Order #225 in NYCity that requires proof of vaccination for all those entering restaurants, indoor entertainment, fitness and dance studios beginning August 18, 2021. No exceptions for NYC residents for religious or medical reasons, (i.e. you don't have to be vaccinated but you still can't come in, at least where I work). I teach in a dance studio and I've had to check all my students' vaccination cards. For those concerned about people forging them, forgery is a crime (at least here in NYC) resulting in penalties up to $5000 and jail time up to 15 years. I heard the Mayor speaking about it on TV and looked it up. The Executive Order has exemptions for visiting non-resident performing  artists, non-resident sports teams, repair people and similar short term occupants, who are there to work but not for NY residents, employees, patrons or tourists.

I'm sure the idea is to safely get Broadway, Off-Broadway, Lincoln Center and the related 14.7 billion dollar performing arts industry back up on its feet.  Personally, I'm glad they've taken this step and I've spent quite a bit of money recently on tickets to dance and theater and can now drag my vaccinated bones out as much as I like.

Megan Fairchild said on her Instagram that at NYCB they were rehearsing in the studios in masks, but would do stage rehearsals and performances maskless. I guess the theater is much larger and has better ventilation. My guess is that's the protocol everywhere people are performing in NYC.

Also, @canbeltoregarding Laura osnes, it was a one night concert performance and she says she quit quietly, with no drama.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/08/17/broadway-star-mn-native-laura-osnes-says-wasnt-fired-for-vaccine-refusal-she-quit/

Edited by BalanchineFan

On 9/20/2021 at 8:52 AM, volcanohunter said:

As of November, the U.S. will require foreigners travelling to the U.S. to be fully vaccinated. No indication yet on which vaccines will be accepted: the three authorized by the FDA, the six authorized by the WHO or a broader list.

The CDC website on the COVID vaccines in general states that "Only people who have received all recommended doses of an FDA-approved, FDA-authorized, or WHO-listed COVID-19 vaccine are considered fully vaccinated for the purpose of public health guidance."  So I expect the US will accept the vaccines on the WHO list (at a minimum) and not just limit it to the 3 authorized or approved by the FDA.  It looks like most US universities (for example) that have vaccine mandates are using the WHO list.  I can't imagine they'd exclude AstraZeneca, given the large number of people around the world that have received the AZ vaccine, and if you allow AZ (on the basis that it's on the WHO list), there may not be a good reason to not allow the other 2 on the WHO list.  

Yes, many American opera houses and concert halls have also adopted the WHO list. If the U.S. accepts the WHO listings, it would be difficult to say no to Sinopharm or Sinovac, although there is undeniably a vaccine pecking order. AstraZeneca has also been vetted by drug regulators in the UK, EU, Canada, Japan and Australia. Sinopharm and Sinovac have not. (I'm at a loss to understand why AZ hasn't submitted its vaccine for FDA approval.)

As for people worried about the fate of the Mariinsky's US tour, there's still the matter of the three Russian vaccines. The WHO and European Medicines Agency reviews of Sputnik-V have been stalled for months. The other two are still in phase 3 trials, but already being administered, and some dancers have received them.

The San Francisco Ballet is adopting the same policies we're seeing in New York: proof of vaccination + masking: https://www.sfballet.org/tickets/plan-your-visit/safety/

As a visitor to NYC this week, I love the rules for entry to theaters, museums, and restaurants. Nobody is perfectly safe, but all these measures do encourage tourism. 

On a side note: I have gotten phone calls this week from two convention bureaus in Florida looking for business from a small professional society I am affiliated with. I lectured them on the difference between NYC and what I see in the news about Florida and COVID and urged them to talk with their legislators and the Governor's office. Florida just named a Surgeon General who is an anti-vaxxer/anti-masker! Yes, all these new rules are a nuisance, but I think this is what it takes to bring back tourists with money to spend.

EDITED TO ADD: Colorado Ballet has announced the same policies: https://coloradoballet.org/covidpolicy

HEALTH & SAFETY POLICIES

Updated 9/22: To attend a performance or event at the War Memorial Opera H

ouse, all patrons aged 12 and over must present proof of full vaccination status alongside a matching photo ID. Children under 12 years of age who are not yet eligible for vaccination must present a negative COVID-19 test result (either PCR or antigen test) taken within 72 hours of the start time of the performance they are attending. Masks are required for everyone at all times, regardless of vaccination status, while inside the War Memorial Opera House.

Edited by California

https://www.royalalberthall.com/plan-your-visit-essential-safety-information/visiting-during-covid-health-and-safety-faqs/

https://www.roh.org.uk/visit-us/attending-a-performance-safely

Tourism depends on so many factors- obviously many people want restrictions, but there are others that aren't interested in returning until the theatrical experience is normalized. Going to the ballet or any theatrical event is should always be enjoyable, and if it's not, people won't spend money on the experience. Seems London, despite having  gone through one of the most restrictive lockdowns in the world, is working with a different approach.

For those who attend ballet using standing room, something to keep in mind.  I just checked with San Francisco Ballet ticket services, and they will NOT be selling standing room tickets for any Nutcracker performances.  Decisions about the 2022 season will be made at a later date, and may change according to circumstances during the season.  Likely other companies are taking similar steps, so be sure to check first.

On 9/24/2021 at 1:15 PM, Lauren said:

https://www.royalalberthall.com/plan-your-visit-essential-safety-information/visiting-during-covid-health-and-safety-faqs/

https://www.roh.org.uk/visit-us/attending-a-performance-safely

Tourism depends on so many factors- obviously many people want restrictions, but there are others that aren't interested in returning until the theatrical experience is normalized. Going to the ballet or any theatrical event is should always be enjoyable, and if it's not, people won't spend money on the experience. Seems London, despite having  gone through one of the most restrictive lockdowns in the world, is working with a different approach.

Countries are also limited by their government's policies and laws. Contact tracing in the UK and in Europe seems much more robust than what large cities can put into effect in the US. 

It's hard to find exactly comparable measurements, but compare the new Covid cases and deaths, New York City vs London (from Google). London is somewhat more populous.

NYC: 0 new cases, 1787 is the 7 day average, as of Sept 25, 2021 

London: 2494 new cases, on Sept 24, 2021.  16,529 positives during the week ending Sept 18, 2021

https://www.google.com/search?q=covid+cases+in+new+york+city&oq=covid+cases+in+new+york+city&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i20i263i512j0i512l2j0i22i30l4j0i390l2.7183j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

https://www.london.gov.uk/updates/news-feed

Meanwhile, back in Seattle, where PNB opened on Friday night for a single weekend of Rep 1, an All-Cerrudo rep, Moira Macdonald wrote in The Seattle Times:

Attending “Singularly Cerrudo,” of course, felt different from The Before Time. Those attending — subscribers only; individual tickets aren’t available for this or the November rep — had to present ID and vaccine proof before crossing McCaw’s doorway, and masks were worn throughout the evening. (Unfortunately, a few PNB patrons needed to be reminded that a mask must cover both mouth and nose. When you consider that PNB’s dancers took daily class and spent grueling hours of rehearsal in masks, it doesn’t seem that much of a hardship to wear one for a seated 90 minutes.)

The National Ballet of Canada has announced rules about vaccination, masking and capacity limits:

In adherence with the Province of Ontario’s implementation of a mandatory vaccination policy for theatres and concert halls, and to ensure the safety of our audiences, artists and staff, all patrons will be required to show proof of vaccination along with government issued ID when they enter the Four Seasons Centre to attend a performance by The National Ballet of Canada

All audience members are required to wear a mask at all times, except when eating or drinking

All children under the age of 12 will be required to provide proof of a negative rapid antigen or PCR COVID-19 test – Note: Children’s tickets will be discounted to offset the cost of the test

In adherence with policies for indoor venues in Step Three of the Province of Ontario’s roadmap to recovery, the theatre will be operating at 50% capacity

The company will set up a tent outside the theater entrance for checking vaccination records, and people are being encouraged to arrive up to an hour and a half before curtain.

Full safety protocols:
https://national.ballet.ca/Tickets/Box-Office/Safety-Protocols-and-Procedures

No children under 12 will be performing in The Nutcracker this season. Normally the company's production includes celebrity cameos in battle scene, but not this time around.

Lyric Opera of Chicago just sent out its rules to subscribers:  all patrons must be fully vacinnated by the CDC definition.  No negative COVID tests will be accepted for admission, and no children under 12 while they are, as a group, ineligible to be vaccinated.  Masks without valves are required over noses and mouths.  No gaiters or bandanas.

I don't know if this will apply to any other events in the venue or in other Chicago venues.

They are offering streaming to subscribers who don't feel comfortable being in the theater. You can fill out a form in advance, or if your tickets aren't scanned, they'll send a link when the stream is available.  :yahoo:.  (I do hope to be in the theater in April for Fire Shut Up in My Bones.)

On 9/29/2021 at 4:50 AM, volcanohunter said:

The National Ballet of Canada has announced rules about vaccination, masking and capacity limits:

The company will set up a tent outside the theater entrance for checking vaccination records, and people are being encouraged to arrive up to an hour and a half before curtain.

Full safety protocols:
https://national.ballet.ca/Tickets/Box-Office/Safety-Protocols-and-Procedures

No children under 12 will be performing in The Nutcracker this season. Normally the company's production includes celebrity cameos in battle scene, but not this time around.

Ontario has lifted capacity limits on concert venues. It's up to the National Ballet of Canada to decide whether to keep the 50% limit or open up all the seats. (And what happens if capacity restrictions return?)

https://news.ontario.ca/en/release/1000947/ontario-cautiously-lifting-capacity-limits-in-select-settings

On 9/20/2021 at 6:52 PM, volcanohunter said:

As of November, the U.S. will require foreigners travelling to the U.S. to be fully vaccinated. No indication yet on which vaccines will be accepted: the three authorized by the FDA, the six authorized by the WHO or a broader list.

The U.S. will be accepting the six vaccines listed by the WHO: Pfizer, Moderna, J&J, AstraZeneca, Sinopharm and Sinovac (CoronaVac). That means that in November vaccinated travellers from the UK and EU will once again be able to visit the U.S.

It also means that Russian vaccines are excluded. (Little wonder that some Russians are engaging in vaccine tourism to Serbia and a few other neighboring countries.)

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-will-accept-who-approved-covid-19-vaccines-international-visitors-2021-10-08/

Edited by volcanohunter

10 hours ago, volcanohunter said:

The U.S. will be accepting the six vaccines listed by the WHO: Pfizer, Moderna, J&J, AstraZeneca, Sinopharm and Sinovac (CoronaVac). That means that in November vaccinated travellers from the UK and EU will once again be able to visit the U.S.

It also means that Russian vaccines are excluded. (Little wonder that some Russians are engaging in vaccine tourism to Serbia and a few other neighboring countries.)

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-will-accept-who-approved-covid-19-vaccines-international-visitors-2021-10-08/

I find myself wondering if Mariinsky visit to D.C. will have to be cancelled then?

Edited by Drew

The AP story on vaccine tourism mentions some of the issues holding up the Sputnik V review.

"But the WHO has said global approval is still under review after citing issues at a production plant a few months ago.

On Friday, a top World Health Organization official said legal issues holding up the review of Sputnik V were 'about to be sorted out,' a step that could relaunch the process toward emergency use authorization.

Other hurdles remain for the Russian application, including a lack of full scientific information and inspections of manufacturing sites, said Dr. Mariangela Simao, a WHO assistant director-general."

That's why another person quoted in the article says approval probably won't come until next year. By April? Who knows? It turns out it may not have been necessary for the National Ballet of China to cancel its tour, since the U.S. will accept two of the Chinese vaccines. There's no way, though, that the other two Russian vaccines will be listed by spring, so dancers who received those may be out of luck.

On 7/16/2021 at 4:15 PM, canbelto said:

The Metropolitan Opera and Carnegie Hall have both announced this policy:

https://operawire.com/metropolitan-opera-announces-mandatory-audience-vaccination/

https://operawire.com/carnegie-hall-to-require-proof-of-vaccination/

I think moving forward this will become the policy.

Ok....so I guess no NYC for me for a while. This is not the best time to return anyhow....

I'll wait.

19 hours ago, California said:

As we all need these shots to go to performances, we're not TOO far off topic!

...I found out my response to the 0.5 dose was normal -- fatigue for a day, then fine.

Koch is no under 12 and NYCB had no closures.  Could Nutcracker have impacts based on audience composition?  Compare Broadway runs - Aladdin closures to no Springsteen closures.  Jujamcyn allows under 12 with negative tests.  Springsteen on Broadway FAQs | Jujamcyn Theaters  Breakthrough COVID Cases Temporarily Close Curtains on Broadway’s Aladdin | Vanity Fai

Edited by maps

41 minutes ago, maps said:

Koch is no under 12 and NYCB had no closures.  Could Nutcracker have impacts based on audience composition?  Compare Broadway runs - Aladdin closures to no Springsteen closures.  Jujamcyn allows under 12 with negative tests.  Springsteen on Broadway FAQs | Jujamcyn Theaters  Breakthrough COVID Cases Temporarily Close Curtains on Broadway’s Aladdin | Vanity Fair

I have to wonder about why Aladdin closed but there have been no other closures based on breakthrough Covid.  I think Disney took a more proactive role in testing even though everyone was vaccinated.  I'm guessing that most organizations are assuming that since everyone is vaccinated, they are not engaging in any additional testing for Covid.  Don't ask don't tell.  If you don't feel well stay home until you feel better, but we are not requiring you to go get a Covid test or to tell us the results of any such test.

2 hours ago, abatt said:

I have to wonder about why Aladdin closed but there have been no other closures based on breakthrough Covid.  I think Disney took a more proactive role in testing even though everyone was vaccinated.  I'm guessing that most organizations are assuming that since everyone is vaccinated, they are not engaging in any additional testing for Covid.  Don't ask don't tell.  If you don't feel well stay home until you feel better, but we are not requiring you to go get a Covid test or to tell us the results of any such test.

Aladdin had to close because they didn’t have the cast members to fill in. There are only so many understudies available!

I doubt the booster will become a requirement to attend, some people got their vaccines later in the summer and 8 months out wouldn't be til Spring.  At some point, the pandemic does actually have to end (all the "pre-cautions" cost businesses money).  Things always go back to normal eventually, even when viruses continue to circulate (and it will).  I expect the 2022-23 season to be normal.  We'll see.  

6 minutes ago, canbelto said:

Well it's never going to end if people are selfish and don't get vaccinated ...

Yes, and “always” is an unwise word to use, I think, when considering world-historical events — especially those that get highly polarized by partisan politics.