This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

No vaccine, no show

36 minutes ago, volcanohunter said:

. . . only 1% of Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra ticket holders have asked for refunds as a result. That would suggest that requiring proof of vaccination isn't resulting in an exodus of patrons.

When the Denver Center for the Performing Arts (home of Colorado Ballet, Opera Colorado, touring Broadway, live theater, Colorado Symphony) announced their policy of proof of vaccination + indoor masking on Facebook and elsewhere, I saw a few comments complaining that they will never attend under those circumstances. But most were like me: this is the ONLY way I'll attend anything at DCPA. At actual performances of the Ballet, I didn't pick up any resistance at all. Ushers were reminding people to wear masks properly and leave it on during the performance and nobody made a fuss. This is all anecdotal/unscientific; I haven't seen any official data on resistance or refund requests. But these audiences have more in common with Lincoln Center audiences than, say, Grand Old Opry (no offense intended!).

Details are on the Met site:

Beginning January 17, 2022, the Met will require proof of a Covid booster shot for all those eligible to receive it. Those not yet eligible will be able to continue to enter provided they are two weeks past their second dose in a two-dose vaccine series or two weeks after receiving a single-dose vaccine. Those not yet eligible will be able to continue to enter but must receive the booster shot shortly after they become eligible.

For those who are not eligible for a booster until after January 17, 2022, the Met will allow a two-week grace period to schedule and receive the booster upon becoming eligible. After the two weeks have passed, entry will not be allowed until the booster has been received. Recipients of the Pfizer (age 16+) or Moderna (age 18+) vaccines become eligible for a booster six months after their second dose, and recipients of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine become eligible two months after their single dose.

Also:

Vaccines are now available for children ages 5–11, and fully vaccinated children are welcome at the Met two weeks after they have received their final dose. Photo ID for children under 12 will not be required as long as they are accompanied by parents/guardians with valid photo ID.

https://www.metopera.org/information/our-commitment-to-our-audiences/

The Vienna State Opera is going a step further than the Met and is requiring a booster and a negative PCR test taken no more than 48 hours before a performance.

The rules are quite complex, but in a nutshell, patrons require 3 doses of vaccine (2 doses if the first dose was J&J) plus a PCR test, or proof of recovery from Covid in the last six months plus double vaccination plus a PCR test.

People medically exempt from vaccination must present a certificate of exemption and a negative PCR test.

Children under 12 require a negative test.

https://www.wiener-staatsoper.at/en/service/ticket-sales/covid-19-information-from-december-27/

13 minutes ago, cubanmiamiboy said:

Out of curiosity....are there any theaters that you guys know of that might be accepting religious exemptions for the non vaccinated...?

The Denver Center for the Performing Arts does allow a religious exemption, but those persons must show a negative PCR test and wear a mask. No exemptions for masks.

https://www.denvercenter.org/reopening/#toggle-id-4

https://storage.googleapis.com/dcpa/pdf/CB-CSA-DCPA-OC Accommodation Form 9-13-21.pdf

I'm not crazy about that loophole, given that the Pope himself is vaccinated and urged his followers to do the same.  

9 hours ago, California said:

The Denver Center for the Performing Arts does allow a religious exemption, but those persons must show a negative PCR test and wear a mask. No exemptions for masks.

https://storage.googleapis.com/dcpa/pdf/CB-CSA-DCPA-OC Accommodation Form 9-13-21.pdf

I'm not crazy about that loophole, given that the Pope himself is vaccinated and urged his followers to do the same.  

Oh....the Pope....

15 hours ago, California said:

Protestants don't listen to the Pope.

Edited by Balletwannabe

Vaccine requirements for individual theaters often do not matter if you are traveling, because traveling into certain countries requires vaccination.

This is the UK requirement:

To qualify under the fully vaccinated rules for travel to England, you must have proof of full vaccination with a full course of an approved vaccine.

You must have had your final dose of the vaccine at least 14 days before you arrive in England. The day you had your final dose does not count as one of the 14 days.

The proof of vaccination must have been issued by either:

the UK vaccination programme

the United Nations vaccine programme for staff and volunteers

an overseas vaccination programme with an approved proof of vaccination for travel to the UK

•  
Edited by canbelto

On 12/26/2021 at 4:57 AM, cubanmiamiboy said:

Out of curiosity....are there any theaters that you guys know of that might be accepting religious exemptions for the non vaccinated...?

The City of Los Angeles has a vaccine mandate for many indoor venues with a medical and a religious exemption (the latter being "an exemption due to a sincerely held religious belief").  The patron would just have to attest (verbally? in written form?) that they have a sincerely held religious belief to enter without vaccination, but they then have to have proof of a negative test. 

Interestingly, the Dolby Theater in Hollywood (within city limits) where Los Angeles Ballet performs has 2 different policies listed on their website - one for "concerts & events" (that state either vaccination or negative test is required) and one for their "Broadway in Hollywood" events (where vaccination is required, unless you have a medical or religious exemption in which case a negative test is required).  I'm not sure why the non-Broadway events don't seem to follow the City's mandate.  I assume the Broadway musicals do follow the vaccination mandate for uniformity (or more uniformity?) with NYC mandates?  Does NYC allow for religious or medical exemptions?

Edited by GretchenStar

Whim W'him, the contemporary dance group that former PNB Principal Dancer Olivier Wevers founded, announced two things today:

1. Full vacinnation is required, for the upcoming performances at Cornish Playhouse, which will have 50% max seating capacity.

2. The company has created a Pre-check form, where you can let them know what performance you're seeing and can upload images of your card and photo ID in advance. You then can go to the Pre-check ticket scanning line.

Vienna State Opera has maybe the most stringent vaccination requirements of all:

• A valid admission ticket, personalised in your name.
    • »Booster proof« for all over the age of 15 years (3x vaccinated, also with Johnson & Johnson, or recovered and 2x vaccinated)
      You will find all details below - please read the instruction carefully
    • A negative PCR test, not older than 48 hours. The date and time of the test and the end of the presentation are valid.
    • An official photo ID
    • An FFP2 mask

I had to provide all that for Salzburg last year with the exception of proof of booster as they weren't available then.  I turned up wearing an N95 but was told to remove it and was given an FFP2.   We weren't allowed to sit together, everyone in the audience had an empty seat on each side and front and back.  However none of the performers wore masks as in Rome.

3 hours ago, Mashinka said:

I had to provide all that for Salzburg last year with the exception of proof of booster as they weren't available then.  I turned up wearing an N95 but was told to remove it and was given an FFP2.   We weren't allowed to sit together, everyone in the audience had an empty seat on each side and front and back.  However none of the performers wore masks as in Rome.

N95 is an American designation/rating, but the N95 masks aren’t certified for medical use in the EU (every country and region has its own standards). I believe the FFP2 and N95 rated masks offer basically the same amount of protection though. So in public, you should be safe to use either. At the performance venues the local protocols are going to be strictly enforced. At least they gave you a mask to wear rather than send you home - that was nice.

San Francisco Ballet is upgrading its requirements: booster for all who are eligible and KN95 or N95 masks. And if you don't have one, they'll give you one. 

This just went out to ticket-holders:

We look forward to welcoming you back to the War Memorial Opera House (and its new seats!) this season.

If you have had your booster shot, you don't need to review the rest of this note. Simply make your way to the Opera House for your performance, and we will provide you with a free KN95 mask at the door if you're not already wearing one.

If you have not received your booster shot, please read this email carefully to ensure that you are allowed to enter the venue to enjoy the performance.

UPDATED BOOSTER REQUIREMENT
Beginning February 1, 2022, we will require up-to-date vaccination, including booster shot when eligible, for all attendees ages 12 and up.

Ages 12 and older:
You must be fully vaccinated and, if eligible, have received a booster shot at least seven (7) days prior to the performance you are attending.

You are eligible for a booster shot five (5) months after a full course of the two-dose Pfizer or Moderna vaccine or two (2) months after the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.

You will be denied entry if you are eligible for a booster but did not receive it.

For more details on up-to-date vaccination status and COVID policies for children under 12, visit sfballet.org/safety.

UPDATED MASK POLICY
Based on health and safety recommendations from the City and County of San Francisco and due to the transmissibility of the Omicron variant, effective immediately, SF Ballet requires all patrons to wear a N95, KN95, or KF94 face mask to enter the venue. We will supply a free KN95 or equivalent mask upon entry if you do not have one. You will be denied entry if you do not wear a N95, KN95, or KF94 face mask.

Masks are required indoors, regardless of age. Masks must be well-fitted and cover the nose, mouth, and chin. Studies have shown that N95, KN95, and KF94 masks are the most effective at protecting against COVID-19 transmission.

Masks must be worn at all times, except when actively eating or drinking in the lobbies and designated areas. Food and drinks are not allowed in the auditorium to ensure masks are worn during the performance.

Due to SFDPH's frequently updated health and safety mandates, we strongly recommend that you visit sfballet.org/safety close to your performance for the latest on SF Ballet's COVID policies.

15 hours ago, California said:

San Francisco Ballet is upgrading its requirements: booster for all who are eligible and KN95 or N95 masks. And if you don't have one, they'll give you one. 

This just went out to ticket-holders:

We look forward to welcoming you back to the War Memorial Opera House (and its new seats!) this season.

If you have had your booster shot, you don't need to review the rest of this note. Simply make your way to the Opera House for your performance, and we will provide you with a free KN95 mask at the door if you're not already wearing one.

If you have not received your booster shot, please read this email carefully to ensure that you are allowed to enter the venue to enjoy the performance.

UPDATED BOOSTER REQUIREMENT
Beginning February 1, 2022, we will require up-to-date vaccination, including booster shot when eligible, for all attendees ages 12 and up.

Ages 12 and older:
You must be fully vaccinated and, if eligible, have received a booster shot at least seven (7) days prior to the performance you are attending.

You are eligible for a booster shot five (5) months after a full course of the two-dose Pfizer or Moderna vaccine or two (2) months after the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.

You will be denied entry if you are eligible for a booster but did not receive it.

For more details on up-to-date vaccination status and COVID policies for children under 12, visit sfballet.org/safety.

UPDATED MASK POLICY
Based on health and safety recommendations from the City and County of San Francisco and due to the transmissibility of the Omicron variant, effective immediately, SF Ballet requires all patrons to wear a N95, KN95, or KF94 face mask to enter the venue. We will supply a free KN95 or equivalent mask upon entry if you do not have one. You will be denied entry if you do not wear a N95, KN95, or KF94 face mask.

Masks are required indoors, regardless of age. Masks must be well-fitted and cover the nose, mouth, and chin. Studies have shown that N95, KN95, and KF94 masks are the most effective at protecting against COVID-19 transmission.

Masks must be worn at all times, except when actively eating or drinking in the lobbies and designated areas. Food and drinks are not allowed in the auditorium to ensure masks are worn during the performance.

Due to SFDPH's frequently updated health and safety mandates, we strongly recommend that you visit sfballet.org/safety close to your performance for the latest on SF Ballet's COVID policies.

I certainly hope the Opera House has a good supply of N95s on hand for distribution.   After two unsuccessful attempts to find them at Home Depot, I finally managed to snag one of two remaining boxes.  Also have some on order from Amazon, but they won’t be here for another three-four weeks.  I hope others have an easier time of it.

19 minutes ago, PeggyR said:

I certainly hope the Opera House has a good supply of N95s on hand for distribution.   After two unsuccessful attempts to find them at Home Depot, I finally managed to snag one of two remaining boxes.  Also have some on order from Amazon, but they won’t be here for another three-four weeks.  I hope others have an easier time of it.

I assume there are massive supply chain issues. CDC recommends this BYD mask as do some other evaluation sites. I got two boxes from Amazon in recent days via Prime. Now they say 4-5 days.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DPTHMS4?

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/topics/respirators/disp_part/N95list1-b.html

Here's another rating site (recommended by Consumer Reports, NBC): https://www.projectn95.org/ There are lots of counterfeits.

I use these in all high-risk areas -- theaters, airplanes, etc. I still have a lot of the blue medical masks, but they're not very good against omicron.

Edited by California

On 1/22/2022 at 8:26 AM, PeggyR said:

On 1/22/2022 at 8:38 AM, California said:

I assume there are massive supply chain issues. CDC recommends this BYD mask as do some other evaluation sites. I got two boxes from Amazon in recent days via Prime. Now they say 4-5 days.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DPTHMS4?

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/topics/respirators/disp_part/N95list1-b.html

Here's another rating site (recommended by Consumer Reports, NBC): https://www.projectn95.org/ There are lots of counterfeits.

I use these in all high-risk areas -- theaters, airplanes, etc. I still have a lot of the blue medical masks, but they're not very good against omicron.

For KN95 masks I can recommend  the FDA approved Powecom brand sold only through this US distributor:

https://bonafidemasks.com/Powecom-kn-95/?ranMID=46357&ranEAID=2116208&ranSiteID=TnL5HPStwNw-uWEvD537mcDq_keNemJHLA&utm_source=Rakuten&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=[publisher_value]

And a good American company to know about would be Armbrust - they've been making Level 3 surgical masks for a while, offering 3rd-party N95 masks as well, but are now about to offer their own N95 mask:

https://www.armbrustusa.com/products/product-reservations?variant=39657723035781

Armbrust is known for posting endless mask test videos on YouTube - at one point they had tested every available mask on Amazon to find out their actual capabilities. They offer a  mask sampler for anyone wanting to know what the various types feel like. Though currently out of stock, I also recommend the "Armbrust Ear Savers" - they keep the KN95 and surgical mask straps from making your ears sore.

Video: Armbrust Surgical Mask Vs Armbrust N95 Mask
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEZRgqHK878

Edited by pherank

On 12/27/2021 at 11:23 PM, GretchenStar said:

Does NYC allow for religious or medical exemptions?

It looks like someone can request a medical or religious exemption in advance to go to the Koch (State) theater https://www.davidhkochtheater.com/plan-your-visit/your-safety/ but I wouldn’t assume this is generally granted. In NY medical exemptions are allowed but religious exemptions are not permitted in many settings (for example in 2019 religious exemption was removed from school vaccine requirements following a measles outbreak, and hospital employees cannot have religious exemptions to vaccines including against Covid.) 

On 1/21/2022 at 5:44 PM, California said:

SF Ballet requires all patrons to wear a N95, KN95, or KF94 face mask to enter the venue. We will supply a free KN95 or equivalent mask upon entry if you do not have one. You will be denied entry if you do not wear a N95, KN95, or KF94 face mask.

I am glad this list includes the KF94, which is my preferred mask, and which has served me very well. Last year a Canadian consumer protection program lab tested a number of KN95 and KF94 masks sold by major retailers, and many KN95s flunked, some with filtration rates as low as 20%, while the KF94s exceeded their advertised filtration efficiency.