This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

No vaccine, no show

13 hours ago, abatt said:

I have to wonder about why Aladdin closed but there have been no other closures based on breakthrough Covid.  I think Disney took a more proactive role in testing even though everyone was vaccinated.  I'm guessing that most organizations are assuming that since everyone is vaccinated, they are not engaging in any additional testing for Covid.  Don't ask don't tell.  If you don't feel well stay home until you feel better, but we are not requiring you to go get a Covid test or to tell us the results of any such test.

The Broadway requirement (per Actors Equity and the Broadway League) is a minimum of once a week testing for vaccinated cast and crew.  That's the minimum and it's up to the production if they want to do more (which is what Disney is/was doing).  I think reports were that Aladdin (and I presume all the Disney productions) were testing every day, and I think in the wake of the positive test at re-opening, they were testing twice a day.  Other productions are doing 2-3 tests a week.

There is DEFINITELY no "Don't ask. Don't tell."  Live theatre, and especially anything requiring singing is considered very high-risk for COVID, and a number of productions had outbreaks in February/March 2020, some with very serious consequences.  Nobody wants to go back to a situation where Broadway has to shut down again, so better to nip any outbreaks in the bud quickly.

7 hours ago, canbelto said:

Well it's never going to end if people are selfish and don't get vaccinated ...

I'm talking about what history has taught us about pandemics...Half of adults don't get the flu vaccine.  Can't force people.   

7 hours ago, nanushka said:

Yes, and “always” is an unwise word to use, I think, when considering world-historical events — especially those that get highly polarized by partisan politics.

Again...just looking at the history of pandemics.  I'm sticking with the word always.  

2 hours ago, Balletwannabe said:

Again...just looking at the history of pandemics.  I'm sticking with the word always.  

I am not a historian, but my understanding of the history of pandemics is that pandemics change history.

Pandemics are central to global history. They have global impact and create anchor points in time. They also interrogate the foundations of society, the sustainability of its material basis, the role of expertise, our social codes, and behavioural norms. Historians of medicine have long engaged with pandemics, examining how they both hinge upon and redefine connections between people and societies in ways that other global phenomena may not. The current COVID-19 pandemic is bound to establish a major anchor point in the twenty-first century.

58 minutes ago, nanushka said:

I am not a historian, but my understanding of the history of pandemics is that pandemics change history.

I don't want to take this too far afield, but I would highly recommend Barbara Tuchmann's A Distant Mirror The Calamitous Fourteenth Century

https://www.amazon.com/A-Distant-Mirror-audiobook/dp/B000EBGCL6/

She discusses the bubonic plague and the impact on class and society. Serfs who survived found themselves in a seller's market, able to demand better wages and working conditions, leading to the emergence of a more comfortable middle class. I'm reminded of that now as I hear of workers in entry-level jobs able to demand better wages and working conditions. 

PS. Bubonic plague is still around, especially in desert rodents, but now we know how to treat it. It was never wiped out entirely.

Edited by California

4 hours ago, Balletwannabe said:

Half of adults don't get the flu vaccine.  Can't force people.   

Sure you can.

The state of Mississippi requires all children entering Mississippi schools from pre-kindergarten to 12th grade to receive the following vaccines:

Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis (DTaP)
Polio (IPV)
Hepatitis B
Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR)
Chickenpox (Varicella)

(Mississippi Dept. of Health)

A  doctor may request a medical exemption if vaccination would endanger a child's health, but there are no exemptions for religious or personal beliefs. 

4 hours ago, Balletwannabe said:

I'm talking about what history has taught us about pandemics...Half of adults don't get the flu vaccine.  Can't force people.   

Actually, you can. All NYCB dancers either got vaccinated or faced dismissal. My workplace has a mandated vaccine too -- those who didn't got taken off payroll immediately.

@cubanmiamiboy, there were striking differences in my most recent theater outings. In New York theaters were at capacity, but everyone was vaccinated, and everyone wore masks. It seemed to me that everyone was wearing them properly, and there lots of KF94s and KN95s in use.

Although masks are legally required indoors, in Moscow I'd guess that about 30% of spectators actually wore them in the auditorium, and there was no telling how many people were vaccinated, but only about a third of the population has been fully vaccinated. Furthermore, the Bolshoi has a creative interpretation of 50% capacity, closing off the rear rows of the side rings so that a larger proportion of top-price orchestra seats can remain open, and people didn't hesitate to move to a blocked-off seat. (In Saint Petersburg there are no capacity limits even though its infection rate is twice that of Moscow.) I relied on my American vaccine and Korean mask to protect me, and they did their job, but I felt a whole lot safer in New York. 

This thread has been of great interest.  We had seating restrictions in the summer, but that's all over now.  No masks, no tests, no proof of vaccination required at ROH, though they do provide hand sanitizer.  Some of us do wear masks.  By us I mean the older audience members only.

Meanwhile infections and hospitalizations are on the rise.  Morocco has today banned all flights from the UK.  I expect other countries to follow suit.

In Israel, Green Pass (proof of vaccination or negative antigen test for everyone over 3) and masks (for over 6, I think) are required for all indoor activities, including cinema, museums and theatre.

It's a pain if you have children over 3 who aren't old enough to be vaccinated, although their tests are free.

1 hour ago, Mashinka said:

This thread has been of great interest.  We had seating restrictions in the summer, but that's all over now.  No masks, no tests, no proof of vaccination required at ROH, though they do provide hand sanitizer.  Some of us do wear masks.  By us I mean the older audience members only.

Meanwhile infections and hospitalizations are on the rise.  Morocco has today banned all flights from the UK.  I expect other countries to follow suit.

A few weeks ago I read about a Plan B of additional restrictions. Is it likely to be introduced? 

I just realized that if the kid vaccine is approved soon, 5 weeks is still early December (two shots three weeks apart plus two weeks after second shot)... Perhaps NYCB and other venues will be able to open their Nutcracker to vaccinated kids.  That would certainly help ticket sales!

Edited by Balletwannabe

On 10/20/2021 at 4:12 PM, Balletwannabe said:

I just realized that if the kid vaccine is approved soon, 5 weeks is still early December (two shots three weeks apart plus two weeks after second shot)... Perhaps NYCB and other venues will be able to open their Nutcracker to vaccinated kids.  That would certainly help ticket sales!

Younger audience members are allowed in with a negative PCR test:

New York City Ballet announced Thursday it would limit its cast to performers 12 and older as part of safety protocols for its 47-show run of “George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker,” which opens the day after Thanksgiving and ends in January. Children under 12 will still be allowed in the audience, though they will have to provide negative virus test results.

On 10/20/2021 at 1:09 PM, canbelto said:

Masks and vaccines are required for MCB too ...

I have gone to a couple of performances-( chamber music)- and only a health questionnaire was required. It will be interesting to see, though, how many of the non vaccinated patrons will be so eager to attend performances as to get a nasal swap each time.

On 10/20/2021 at 4:35 PM, Mashinka said:

👏👏👏

23 minutes ago, Balletwannabe said:

I got the vaccine just to attend NYCB performances, that's actually the only reason.  Had a pretty bad reaction, ended up in the hospital.  Really hoping boosters aren't required in the future to attend because I don't want to experience that again.  

I actually know of people who got vaccinated just to attend a one-off concert so you're not alone.

12 hours ago, canbelto said:

Vaccine mandates are causing some orchestra members to be fired

Strictly speaking, it appears no one has been fired yet. Where a mandatory vaccination policy exists, those who refuse have been placed on leave--paid for now.

The interesting thing for me is the nugget on audience reaction to vaccine requirements and the fact that only 1% of Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra ticket holders have asked for refunds as a result. That would suggest that requiring proof of vaccination isn't resulting in an exodus of patrons.