This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

No vaccine, no show

Segerstrom Center for the Arts has just announced their policy: proof of vaccination + mask. Looks like this is becoming the standard. Works for me! 

Safety & Health Update  |  View in browser

Vaccination and Mask Requirements

As Segerstrom Center for the Arts prepares to fully reopen our indoor venues and begin an exciting season of incredible performances, we want you to know that your safety is our top priority. With that in mind, we have updated our safety procedures and requirements to ensure the health of our ticket holders, artists, and staff. We want to provide the safest space to enjoy live entertainment once again, and with that comes the responsibility of limiting the spread of COVID-19 to the best of our abilities.

Our new mandate will require all ticket holders of indoor performances at Segerstrom Center for the Arts to show proof of full vaccination to attend. Masks are required for all ticket holders regardless of vaccination status. Guests who are under age 12, those that cannot provide proof of vaccination, or those who need a reasonable accommodation for medical reasons or sincerely held religious beliefs that prevent them from being vaccinated must provide proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR test taken within 72 hours prior to entering the theatre.

We are asking you to do your part to help stop the spread of COVID-19; here are some of the steps we’re taking to enhance our facility:

• Improving Air Quality: We exceed the CDC recommended filtration recommendations with our MERV-14 filters. Our state-of-the-art air handling systems are operating to full design capabilities in order to maximize the number of air exchanges per hour.
  • Creating a Contact-Free Experience: All restrooms have touchless fixtures including touchless flush valves and faucets. All tickets are digital and scanned for safe and efficient entry.
  • Enhancing Cleaning Procedures: We have implemented rigorous cleaning procedures that follow CDC guidelines for cleaning. We pay special attention to high traffic areas, frequently touched surfaces, like doorknobs, railings, elevator buttons, and restrooms, which are sanitized with increased frequency. We have also placed hand sanitizers throughout the campus including the Julianne and George Argyros Plaza. 
  • Seeking Expert Advice: Our health and safety protocols have been informed by Infectious Disease experts at the University of California, Irvine to ensure adherence to the principles for cleaning, disinfection, and infectious disease prevention. We’ve partnered with the industrial hygiene firm TRC to review our protocols and campus cleaning service provider ABM, who are administering Enhanced Clean™ in all our buildings. 

We will continue to review our policies on an ongoing basis to evolve with best practices around health and safety. We will also work to communicate with you every step of the way as we prepare to open, and to provide details about your in-theater experience in your pre-performance reminders.

We are so grateful for the ability to keep the arts alive at the Center after the past 18 months deeply impacted the livelihood of this industry. It is our greatest hope that we can continue to welcome you back, provide joy, and once again see our patrons that we have missed so much.

For more information on our updated policies, please visit the Know Before You Go page on our website.

If you have any questions, our Guest Services team is available to help. Call us at (714) 556-2787 on Monday from 10 am–2 pm or Tuesday–Friday from 12–5 pm.

The health and safety of our guests, team members and communities is a priority at Segerstrom Center for the Arts. That's why we've implemented these enhanced safety measures.

Proof of vaccination required - Mask required at all times - Wash/Sanitize hands frequently - Do not enter if you are sick - Enhanced cleaning protocols in place

Twitter Facebook YouTube Instagram

Unsubscribe  |  Forward  |  View in browser

To ensure our emails reach your inbox, please add boxoffice@SCFTA.org to your address book.

Segerstrom Center for the Arts
600 Town Center Drive, Costa Mesa, CA 92626
SCFTA.org  |  Box Office (714) 556-2787  |  Group Sales (714) 755-0236
CONTACT US  |  PRIVACY POLICY

Segerstrom Center applauds the following for their support:

black-united-3p-h-k-r-lockup-150x41.jpg

It will be interesting to see how all these play out and how carefully this stuff is checked as time goes on. I've probably attended my last performance in the US  (unless this stuff gets rolled back if things ever calm down). Very sad, but have come to terms with it. Interested to see how BB handles this given that their mayor isn't supportive of this sort of thing. I think those making these decisions are between a rock and a hard place- they will lose some patrons either way, and they have to try to lose the least amount, and, right now, they are banking on losing less with this policy.  Interesting to see if ticket prices go up or not. It seems like most folks here see this as being a positive direction to go in, and while I don't, am glad that it seems most people want this stuff- which hopefully means they will ultimately lose fewer ticket holders than they would, had they been more relaxed. Ultimately, I just want the art form to go on, even if I choose to view live  productions in Russia only from now on. (The US does not seem to acknowledge proof of  "recovery" as we do in Europe, which makes it a bit easier). Great to see that by and large all are moving forward with seasons!

The Baltimore Symphony announced a vaccinated-only policy today with no exceptions. They have cancelled/postponed most of their "family" concerts since they are not admitting anyone under 12. Even with an all-vaccinated audience, they will stick require masks and there will be no food or beverage sales.

Colorado Ballet has just announced their admittance policies, consistently with the entire Denver Performing Arts Complex: 

https://coloradoballet.org/covidpolicy?_ga=2.92057821.673715495.1629835848-1891441774.1625956535

Denver has been doing really well with vaccination rates, but Colorado attracts a lot of summer tourists who have been bringing Delta with them, alas. 

This strikes me as very appropriate. It will be in effect for their Giselle performances in October. 

I'm hoping they let the dancers perform without masks! 

To protect audiences and the community from illness and to slow transmission of COVID-19, Colorado Ballet
has joined the resident companies of the Denver Performing Arts Complex in implementing the following health
and safety policies:

• All patrons 12+ must be fully vaccinated before attending performances. “Fully vaccinated” means two weeks after
    a person’s second dose in a two-dose series and two weeks after a single-dose vaccine.

• All audience members 2+ must wear masks unless enjoying refreshments in designated areas. Food and beverages will not be permitted inside the theater.

• Children under the age of 12 must instead provide proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR test taken within 72 hours
    of the performance start time, or a negative COVID-19 antigen test taken within six hours of the performance
    start time.

This policy goes into effect October 1 and is in place until further notice. Additional details on the vaccine
verification and entry process are under development and will be communicated to our patrons in advance
of your performance date. No exceptions to the above requirements will be made.

Ticket holders who do not comply with this policy will not be admitted. We will offer full refunds and on account credits for patrons who are unable to adhere to these policies. Please contact Colorado Ballet Patron Services to discuss your ticketing options – (303) 837-8888 ext. 2, open Monday - Friday from 10am to 4pm.

We're all in this together. We can't thank you enough for your support as we continue to ensure the healthy and safety of our dancers, staff and patrons.

19 hours ago, California said:

Washington Ballet has just announced their COVID policies - very similar to what we're seeing elsewhere. Proof of vaccination AND masks for everybody.

https://www.washingtonballet.org/covid-19-updates-information/

Thank you. I am very fine with masking up and being vaccinated. However, I am wondering if the dancers will be performing with masks? Maybe I am in the minority but I would not want to pay to see a ballet in which one of the most beautiful features of a human being is covered. Who wants to go into the Louvre Museum to see a masked Mona Lisa painting or Venus de Milo sculpture?

During the height of the pandemic, it was a bit shocking to see some companies performing with masks on, such as Tulsa Ballet's livestreams. Yeah, I was grateful to experience a livestreamed show but, in all honesty, was not thrilled about having paid $35 or so to see three ballets with masked dancers and not having been told ahead of time. Maybe I just missed the warning that dancers would be masked.

In sum, I'll wait until I know that dancers will not be masked during performances, before shelling out $$$.

Edited by Roberta
clarity

2 hours ago, Roberta said:

In sum, I'll wait until I know that dancers will not be masked during performances, before shelling out $$$.

Have NYCB or ABT said anything about masking the dancers? ABT had performances at City Center without masking a few months ago. This seems to be a function of testing, vaccination, isolation, etc. When the Denver Performing Arts Center announced their rules for the audience, a local news reporter said performers will NOT be masked.  But I haven't seen/heard announcements for theaters this fall elsewhere. 

Companies could do mandatory testing on a regular basis before performances, in addition to proof of vaccination and I would hope that's enough.

6 hours ago, Roberta said:

I'm assuming the dancers will NOT be masked, for upcoming NYCB and ABT seasons. Surely they would have said if otherwise. Roberta, you are not in the minority at all, I think very few people would want to see masked dancing. 

I'll be asking for a refund if I show up to NYCB and the dancers are masked.  Not kidding.  I have to travel and pay a lot to go, I'm not paying to watch masked dancers.  I also think it's unfair and somewhat dangerous to the dancers.  They get extremely out of breath as it is.

I can't imagine any company allowing dancers to chose for themselves whether to mask during a performance, and having some masked and some not- the world hasn't changed quite that much. It won't be the wishes of the dancers; it will be decided for them and dictated. I imagine the option is not to be cast/perform would be given if they are truly afraid.  I agree- would not pay a cent to watch dancers in masks- especially given all of the other mitigation strategies that are being used. Singers and Broadway performers aren't masking, nor are they used in the other types of returning professional theater, and so hopefully that trend will die out fast.... though it seems it may continue with young people and youth dance groups. I think there's a difference, (even for those who believe very, very strongly in masks) from wearing one in day to day life vs. wearing it while performing. It entirely destroys the fourth wall and  any sense of magic and theatricality, and for some of us, is just uncomfortable and unpleasant to watch, even on a screen, much less in real life. I really admire the dancers that are continuing to push through with all this. It's got to be very difficult and so good to see that they are at least pushing forward with more normal seasons.

I doubt any companies will be dancing masked in performance unless a work calls for it deliberately (something I have seen in video of new work created during the pandemic).

(I hope dancers are being encouraged to use extra caution about not coming to the theater if they suspect they might be ill. I imagine dancers who are eager not to lose opportunities are used to dancing through what they think of as minor illnesses--that was never a great recipe for health and now....😟)

I wrote to a couple of venues for which I purchased tickets -

The Kennedy Center answered my email inquiring about any plans for masking dancers; partial quote:

"...The plan at the moment is that the adult dancers will not be masked, since they will have followed all of the Kennedy Center’s vaccine mandates.  The children dancing in the Miami Ballet’s The Nutcracker, however, will wear masks..."

Sincerely,

Linda Beers

Ticket Services

Miami's Nutcracker is the first subscription offering, to be followed by ABT in early April, as NBChina's own Nutcracker in January was cancelled. If the Mariinsky performs in late April, I hope that the Kennedy Canter accepts the Russian Sputnik vaccine as ok to allow dancing without masks.

The Joffrey Ballet of Chicago has not yet answered my email. The city is under strict mandate for all persons entering buildings but no decision yet on performers. I'd love to attend their first program in mid-October, including an Arpino rarity, but don't want to see it with masked dancers...not to mention paying airfare & hotel for the experience.

2 hours ago, Roberta said:

If the Mariinsky performs in late April, I hope that the Kennedy Canter accepts the Russian Sputnik vaccine as ok to allow dancing without masks.

I wonder about the Russian vaccine. For trips to Canada this fall, it's not accepted:

o   Accepted

• Pfizer-BioNTech (Comirnaty, tozinameran, BNT162b2)
      • Moderna (mRNA-1273)
      • AstraZeneca/COVISHIELD (ChAdOx1-S, Vaxzevria, AZD1222)
      • Janssen/Johnson & Johnson (Ad26.COV2.S)

o   Not accepted

• Bharat Biotech (Covaxin, BBV152 A, B, C)
      • Cansino (Convidecia, Ad5-nCoV)
      • Gamalaya (Sputnik V, Gam-Covid-Vac)
      • Sinopharm (BBIBP-CorV, Sinopharm-Wuhan)
      • Sinovac (CoronaVac, PiCoVacc)
      • Vector Institute (EpiVacCorona)
  •  
  • I wonder if the Mariinsky might work something out with regular testing and mandatory quarantines.

The situation with Russian vaccines has been further complicated now that two others are being administered, even though Phase 3 trials have not yet been completed. EpiVacCorona is already controversial and is meeting with a fair degree of resistance locally. The other day a Russian dancer posted that two months after receiving the third vaccine, CoviVac, lab tests showed it had not induced an antibody response in her body.

Many high-art venues have stated that they will accept WHO-approved vaccines, which goes past the FDA list to include AstraZeneca, Sinopharm and Sinovac. The first has been administered to millions of Britons in particular. At the moment it is nearly impossible for tourists from the UK and EU to enter the United States, but no doubt theaters are hoping to see a return of European visitors sooner rather than later.

Edited by volcanohunter

Assuming that, by April 2022, the situation is such that the Kennedy Center is still requiring vaccines from all performers and the Russian vaccines are not accepted, I am wondering:

Would the Mariinsky agree to perform masked (if that were an option)?

Would we want to see it with the faces masked?  I would not, sorry. Even if the ghosts of Pavlova, Karsavina and Nijinsky would be guests.

40 minutes ago, Roberta said:

Assuming that, by April 2022, the situation is such that the Kennedy Center is still requiring vaccines from all performers and the Russian vaccines are not accepted, I am wondering:

Would the Mariinsky agree to perform masked (if that were an option)?

Would we want to see it with the faces masked?  I would not, sorry. Even if the ghosts of Pavlova, Karsavina and Nijinsky would be guests.

I am still planning to go to D.C. to see Jewels assuming the Covid numbers are on their way down and there is no new  surge--say, a new "Epsilon" variant or some such--and I plan to go whether they dance masked or not.  (It's Jewels not Giselle.) But I'd be willing to bet a substantial amount that  the Mariinsky would sooner cancel than dance masked. I really doubt this is going to be an issue.

(I know you are making a rhetorical point, but if the ghosts of Pavlova, Karsavina, and Nijinsky really were guesting I would travel to D.C. to watch them dance with paper bags over their heads.)

Edited by Drew

I'm mixed on the masked dancing issue. Some companies have made or bought masks that actually look quite striking with the costumes---Clara, swans, etc---but I have seen instances where the masks partially or completely fall off, which is distracting for the viewer (well, me, anyway) and potentially dangerous to be trying to dodge as you dance.

I can't imagine there is any chance Mariinsky will mask for performances. Ever. This company performed during air raids during the war, and shivered in tiny tutus and white sweaters when the theater was unheated during the Revolution. Art is always going to come first, safety and fear second. They never have mask forced in the studio (though required it other places, like all business) and I think, never will, no matter what happens. A few dancers have mentioned trying it and finding horrible and impossible- I won't give names as it's from their social media. . The company doesn't train or rehearse in them, and never have (some dancers, but very few) do use them in the studios but are often from other countries. My guess is either it would be cancelled or they'd accept the Russian vaccine, and place tighter controls on not letting them out and about. 

Has anyone without a paywall seen what is being done with the SAB kiddos in terms of Nutcracker? I know there was something in NY Times but couldn't read it. Add a little extra element "who will be Marie"! 

38 minutes ago, Lauren said:

Has anyone without a paywall seen what is being done with the SAB kiddos in terms of Nutcracker? I know there was something in NY Times but couldn't read it. Add a little extra element "who will be Marie"! 

New York City Ballet announced Thursday it would limit its cast to performers 12 and older as part of safety protocols for its 47-show run of “George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker,” which opens the day after Thanksgiving and ends in January. Children under 12 will still be allowed in the audience, though they will have to provide negative virus test results.

40 minutes ago, Lauren said:

I can't imagine there is any chance Mariinsky will mask for performances. Ever.

I don't doubt this at all. The bigger issue is how they will be admitted to the US in the first place if they don't have acceptable vaccination -- which does not include the Russian or Chinese ones.

It's interesting that Segerstrom and LA Music Center haven't announced anything past September. Both typically host many Russian and European countries and I'm guessing they are struggling with these issues. They have announced admission for audiences but how do the foreign companies even get into the US? 

https://www.musiccenter.org/tickets/events-by-the-music-center/glorya-kaufman-dance/

46 minutes ago, Lauren said:

I can't imagine there is any chance Mariinsky will mask for performances. Ever. This company performed during air raids during the war, and shivered in tiny tutus and white sweaters when the theater was unheated during the Revolution. Art is always going to come first, safety and fear second. They never have mask forced in the studio (though required it other places, like all business) and I think, never will, no matter what happens. A few dancers have mentioned trying it and finding horrible and impossible- I won't give names as it's from their social media. . The company doesn't train or rehearse in them, and never have (some dancers, but very few) do use them in the studios but are often from other countries. My guess is either it would be cancelled or they'd accept the Russian vaccine, and place tighter controls on not letting them out and about. 

I'm a little confused by this. There are several prominent Russian dancers who clearly wear masks not onstage but in life, judging from their social media.

On 9/7/2021 at 2:31 PM, California said:

The bigger issue is how they will be admitted to the US in the first place if they don't have acceptable vaccination -- which does not include the Russian or Chinese ones.

The United States has not yet implemented any vaccine requirements for entry into the country, although there has been some talk about introducing them. On the contrary, in the spring New York City was actively encouraging tourists to visit in order to get vaccinated - only proof of age was required; any passport and hotel address would do. (A tourist was bound to spend more money in the city than the cost of the vaccine offered free of charge.) At present, only a negative test is required to board a plane for the U.S., although on the ground vaccination is increasingly a requirement to access entertainment, and many venues are requiring them of all employees.

Instead, entry is pretty much banned for any non-citizen/permanent resident who has been in the UK, Ireland, the Schengen area, Brazil, South Africa, Iran, India or China in the preceding 14 days. This may be the primary problem facing Chinese and European companies. A potential visitor could theoretically spend two weeks in a third country and then enter, but few have the time and resources. (I think it's absurd. Many of the permitted countries have far higher rates of infection and far lower rates of vaccination than, say, Denmark.)

For the Mariinsky a bigger problem may be obtaining visas. When Russia required the U.S. to dismiss all local staff from its embassy and consulates, the U.S. pretty much suspended visa services. It was suggested at the time that Russians would have to travel to other countries to obtain visas.

On 9/7/2021 at 2:31 PM, canbelto said:

There are several prominent Russian dancers who clearly wear masks not onstage but in life, judging from their social media.

Absolutely. It is exceedingly difficult to engage in strenuous physical activity in a mask, but outside the rehearsal studio, the masks often go back on. At this point, though, many have already contracted the disease and recovered, so some may feel impervious.

Edited by volcanohunter