This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

"Good Morning America" anchor laughs at boys who do ballet

4 hours ago, Balletwannabe said:

I guess it's just a matter of opinion.  I don't think adding comedy to ballet necessarily = mockery.  This is one of my fav's:

It is definitely a matter of opinion the obiquitous mockery-(well, I call it mockery anyways, although it might be perceived as mere "comedy" by others, as you state)- of ballet when it wants to be presented for larger audiences as a more "popular" or "approachable" thing. Which is why I have never been to Les Trocks. It really displeases me.

On 8/26/2019 at 10:20 AM, California said:

I just watched the segment on Good Morning America (a show I ordinarily never watch). The interview was okay, but I was disappointed that the only clip they showed was Gene Kelly in Dancing in the Rain. Stephanopolous mentioned the class in Time Square, but they didn't show anything. If you follow Wall on Instagram he has lots of good clips showing the class. Nice that Robbie Fairchild participated in the interview and the class, as he might be a little better known than others, because of his work on Broadway.

I thought Robbie Fairchild, Travis Wall, and the dancer from the Joffrey all spoke well. It was all done with an eye towards education and empathy. They are true class acts. 

I also appreciated Lara Spencer's apology. She has more sense than she showed in the original segment.

I, too, wish they'd shown the outdoor class and how many people showed up. GMA is on air 10 hours/week, they could do more.

Edited by BalanchineFan

There's certainly a harmful side to TV shows always presenting ballet segments in a stereotypical, mocking style. If things had carried on in the manner of Dance in America and the Canadian Broadcast System ballet programs, we would now be seeing excerpts from pieces like Ratmanksy's Shostakovich Trilogy, Odessa, or even Whipped Cream; Peck's Rodeo, In the Countenance of Kings, Decalogue; the latest William Forsythe/Pite/McGregor/Marston/Wheeldon works; a selection from Sara Mearns at Jacob's Pillow, etc. The possibilities are seemingly endless. Jimmy Kimmel in a tutu doesn't quite suffice.

I guess we're back to a resolute need to steer clear of anything 'serious' or artistically involved with any TV ballet presentations. And yet, every night, the evening talk shows have music acts that come from various genres of popular music (some of them seeming quite 'edgy' and bizarre to the older audience), and those acts are not preceded by explanation or apology of any sort. The musicians appear and play and that's it. The show hosts don't feel pressured to interpret anything for the benefit of the audience. The music is simply  accepted (or you can just turn the channel). Imagine if The Tonight Show ended with a ballet excerpt from Pam Tanowitz’s Four Quartets

Russia and the Soviet Union have histories of respect towards ballet as a lauded profession for men, and when people poke fun at things they love, it might not be to everyone's taste, but it has a different meaning than when it's used for ridicule, however borderline, like once a year when football players and cheerleaders switch costumes for a revue, har, har.  "I was just kidding" is a stock excuse of bullies.

4 hours ago, pherank said:

There's certainly a harmful side to TV shows always presenting ballet segments in a stereotypical, mocking style. If things had carried on in the manner of Dance in America and the Canadian Broadcast System ballet programs, we would now be seeing excerpts from pieces like Ratmanksy's Shostakovich Trilogy, Odessa, or even Whipped Cream; Peck's Rodeo, In the Countenance of Kings, Decalogue; the latest William Forsythe/Pite/McGregor/Marston/Wheeldon works; a selection from Sara Mearns at Jacob's Pillow, etc. The possibilities are seemingly endless. Jimmy Kimmel in a tutu doesn't quite suffice.

I guess we're back to a resolute need to steer clear of anything 'serious' or artistically involved with any TV ballet presentations. And yet, every night, the evening talk shows have music acts that come from various genres of popular music (some of them seeming quite 'edgy' and bizarre to the older audience), and those acts are not preceded by explanation or apology of any sort. The musicians appear and play and that's it. The show hosts don't feel pressured to interpret anything for the benefit of the audience. The music is simply  accepted (or you can just turn the channel). Imagine if The Tonight Show ended with a ballet excerpt from Pam Tanowitz’s Four Quartets

I agree in that it is harmful TV always take a (best case) humorous, (usual case) mocking tone when it comes to dance-focused segments. 

Very, very surprisingly, the best dance scene I can recall the past year is from — of all places! — the FXX show ‘It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia.’ It’s not classical ballet, but for five whole minutes there are no men in children’s tutus, the actor (not a dancer) appears rehearsed, and nobody insults a six-year-old boy. As Helene has noted earlier on this thread, the standard is underwater, but still, I liked this.

More on-topic: Stephen Colbert featured Robbie Fairchild and Leanne Cope in a pas from ‘An American in Paris’ that, again, somehow managed to entertain the audience without any harmful troupes! 

1 hour ago, Syzygy said:

I agree in that it is harmful TV always take a (best case) humorous, (usual case) mocking tone when it comes to dance-focused segments. 

Very, very surprisingly, the best dance scene I can recall the past year is from — of all places! — the FXX show ‘It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia.’ It’s not classical ballet, but for five whole minutes there are no men in children’s tutus, the actor (not a dancer) appears rehearsed, and nobody insults a six-year-old boy. As Helene has noted earlier on this thread, the standard is underwater, but still, I liked this.

More on-topic: Stephen Colbert featured Robbie Fairchild and Leanne Cope in a pas from ‘An American in Paris’ that, again, somehow managed to entertain the audience without any harmful troupes!

Nice examples, Syzygy - it's just a shame that the Late Show stage doesn't provide the appropriate backdrop/ambience for An American in Paris. Such is life. But Colbert's show is making an effort so kudos to them.

6 minutes ago, pherank said:

Nice examples, Syzygy - it's just a shame that the Late Show stage doesn't provide the appropriate backdrop/ambience for An American in Paris. Such is life. But Colbert's show is making an effort so kudos to them.

Yeah, I remember cringing the first time I watched the Colbert spot each time they got close to interview stage. But I've seen plenty of beautiful music numbers who adjust their choreography to NY studios (not ballet but hip hop or k-pop, etc.) so, yes, such is life.  

6 hours ago, Helene said:

...but it has a different meaning than when it's used for ridicule, however borderline...

Yep.  EXTREMELY borderline, imo...

And yes...it is definitely cultural. Ballet is also taken ultra seriously in my birthplace, so I never quite got comfortable with the whole laughing business...

Edited by cubanmiamiboy
19 hours ago, BalanchineFan said:

I thought Robbie Fairchild, Travis Wall, and the dancer from the Joffrey all spoke well. It was all done with an eye towards education and empathy. They are true class acts. 

I also appreciated Lara Spencer's apology. She has more sense than she showed in the original segment.

I, too, wish they'd shown the outdoor class and how many people showed up. GMA is on air 10 hours/week, they could do more.

So happy to see this!

14 hours ago, Helene said:

Russia and the Soviet Union have histories of respect towards ballet as a lauded profession for men, and when people poke fun at things they love, it might not be to everyone's taste, but it has a different meaning than when it's used for ridicule, however borderline, like once a year when football players and cheerleaders switch costumes for a revue, har, har.  "I was just kidding" is a stock excuse of bullies.

In interviews over the years, Russian dancers sometimes express surprise (shock?) at the way the US treats male dancers. To hear them tell it, in Russia, male dancers have the stature of football stars here. Our stigmas just don't exist there. Baryshnikov has a great quote from various interviews: "I'm not the first straight dancer and I won't be the last." There was dialogue along those lines in "The Turning Point" from Tom Skerritt's character. It's so disappointing to see how little progress we've made as a culture 40+ years later.

There's certainly a harmful side to TV shows always presenting ballet segments in a stereotypical, mocking style.

Late night shows are supposed to make you laugh, theoretically anyway. The Kimmel bit, for example, was actually pretty good, and it was obviously well intentioned.

Baryshnikov has a great quote from various interviews: "I'm not the first straight dancer and I won't be the last."

Personally I don't care whether the guys are straight or not. It's actually kind of a plus for ballet that it 's one place where straight white guys like MB aren't privileged just because.........oh, wait.

On 8/25/2019 at 12:31 PM, Syzygy said:

I’m paraphrasing his Instagram story for those without accounts: Lara Spencer called him to apologize, many ballet/broadway dancers plan to take class outside of GMA next week, she apparently sounded very sorry. 

Hmmm…

Thanks for the report -- I am insta-free.

On 8/25/2019 at 7:12 AM, BalanchineFan said:

If GMA doesn't do a follow up on: 

1. the rigors of ballet,

2. how hard men in ballet work (from childhood to mature artist)

3. the detrimental effects of bullying,

4. the many benefits of ballet and dance in general,

5. the brilliance of leading male ballet dancers today, (and I could go on)

What was that woman thinking?

All good points, but I'm especially interested in 3 and 4.  Those of us who are parents (and probably everyone else) are familiar with the term "teachable moment" -- this is one of those.   As a dance writer, I would want to see this show highlight all kinds of dance, and all levels of engagement, from highly skilled professionals in all styles to avocational, once a week participants.  I won't indulge in my full soapbox speech here, but we all know how significant this art form is, and how shallow her comments were.  Alongside my distress as a part of the dance community, I was astonished at her willingness to make such cruel comments in order to curry favor with her viewers.  That sticks in my throat fully as much as her nitwittery about dance.

If this child was excited about a math class, would she have quipped that "we all know how long that will last"?

And as far as your own query -- she wasn't thinking.  That's the problem.

One thing about humor -- if we see something that satirizes a topic, that means it's assumed that we know the topic.  I'm not trying to imply that all crappy "guy in a tutu" sketches are signs of cultural literacy, but if we didn't have a baseline recognition for ballet, comics wouldn't be using it for material.  So our challenge is to change the stereotype.

2 hours ago, canbelto said:

The Trocks is NOT mockery of ballet. Those dancers take their craft very seriously and their pointe work technique is remarkable. What they do is a tribute to ballet, and I don't know how anyone could view otherwise.

(OT)

Barocco! 😍😍😍 

One of the best examples of Balanchine's lovely "Ballet is Woman" quote 🤗.

Back to topic now....

I hope this is a trend. Colorado Ballet Academy just announced that boys can get one week free of training to see if it's for them:

Here at Colorado Ballet Academy we support and welcome any student who wishes to dance. In light of the recent focus on #boysdancetoo, we are inviting all young men with an interest or passion for dance, a free trial week at #coloradoballetacademy. 
For more information, call our Academy at (303)-339-1623! @ Colorado Ballet

Image may contain: 4 people, people standing, shoes and child
Image may contain: 2 people, people standing, shoes and ocean

On 8/28/2019 at 6:43 PM, California said:

In interviews over the years, Russian dancers sometimes express surprise (shock?) at the way the US treats male dancers. To hear them tell it, in Russia, male dancers have the stature of football stars here. Our stigmas just don't exist there.

I'm not so sure about that. The same Gediminas Taranda mentioned above admitted that as an adolescent he didn't want to study ballet because it was for "boys in pantyhose."