This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Boston Ballet 2019-20 season

California

The Boston Ballet's 2019-20 season has been announced on their web site: https://www.bostonballet.org/Home/Tickets-Performances/Performances/Season-Announcement.aspx

Giselle

Sep 19–29, 2019

Staging

Larissa Ponomarenko

The Nutcracker

Nov 29–Dec 29, 2019

Choreography

Mikko Nissinen

rEVOLUTION

Feb 27–Mar 8, 2020

Agon

George Balanchine

In the Middle, Somewhat Elevated

William Forsythe

Glass Pieces

Jerome Robbins

Carmen

Mar 12–22, 2020

Serenade

George Balanchine

Tsukiyo

Helen Pickett

Petal

Helen Pickett

Carmen

Jorma Elo

Swan Lake

May 1–31, 2020

Choreography

Mikko Nissinen

Off The Charts

May 8-29, 2020

Dance Part 3 (World Premiere)

Stephen Galloway

Bella Figura

Jiří Kylián

Artifact Suite

William Forsythe

As I heard Lee Soo-bin (winner of Vaganova Prix and silver of moscow ballet competition) joined the company recently, I really want to watch her performance in Giselle.

I asked about the casting 5 minutes ago, then I found it for recent Coppelia: https://www.bostonballet.org/Home/The-Company/Dancers/2018-2019-Season-Casting/coppelia-Casting

Other repertoire's casting can also be found by changing the link title.

Edited by Xiaoyi

Yes, you can see some of the departures on the other thread about Kuranaga leaving.  She is going to San Fran.  Combs is going to be Executive Director at Providence Ballet in Rhode Island.  Buriassi and Doble are both going to Les Grands.  Chalendard is leaving, but not sure where she is going.  Parrondo and Gill are both retiring.  There are other departures, but I am not sure where everyone is heading.  They have already updated the website, taking down the departures, but have not updated for promotions.  

37 minutes ago, its the mom said:

Yes, you can see some of the departures on the other thread about Kuranaga leaving.  She is going to San Fran.  Combs is going to be Executive Director at Providence Ballet in Rhode Island.  Buriassi and Doble are both going to Les Grands.  Chalendard is leaving, but not sure where she is going.  Parrondo and Gill are both retiring.  There are other departures, but I am not sure where everyone is heading.  They have already updated the website, taking down the departures, but have not updated for promotions.  

Just a note that Combs will be at *Festival*Ballet Providence.  There is an entirely different school/company with the name Providence Ballet.  Both in Providence RI, so the confusion is understandable!

On 6/7/2019 at 3:42 PM, balletforme said:

Noticing a number of departures in Boston Ballet Misa, Kathleen Breen Combs,. . .. are there others? 

I'm very sorry to hear of these two departures as Kuranaga and Breene Combs were the dancers who most attracted me to BB.  Cornejo and Conti were two others I really liked.  I look forward to seeing the Giselle.

1 hour ago, ClaraFan said:

@Marta That I don't know. I'd be guessing corps. I know she has had a few injuries, IIUC. 

I looked on the BB site but don't see her yet.  There's been a noticeable exodus from the company.  Kuranaga went to San Francisco Ballet; Breen Combes retired and also Chalendard.  Of the soloists, Burassi is going to Canada and it looks as though a few other soloists left too.  I don't yet see any new principals or soloists.  I would love to know if there's a specific reason for the drain.

I'm genuinely curious to see how this corps contract at BB suits Joy Womack in comparison to her previous positions. Polarizing personality aside, she's talented and I wish her all the best. But what I'd give to understand the reasoning... 

I am excited to see Joy Womack state-side!  I've only seen videos of her, but she seems like a lovely dancer with nice epaulement.  

I don't get the impression she's done a lot of contemporary rep which BB has (so I'm very curious how she'll do with a totally different rep than what a lot of Russian companies do), and the Artist position is probably going to limit the types of roles she had (esp compared to Universal Ballet and the Kremlin Ballet).  

Nevertheless, I'll be excited to have more opportunities to see her perform in the US.

3 hours ago, Syzygy said:

I'm genuinely curious to see how this corps contract at BB suits Joy Womack in comparison to her previous positions. Polarizing personality aside, she's talented and I wish her all the best. But what I'd give to understand the reasoning... 

I completely agree.  Although she didn't realize her dream to be in Bolshoi, she did dance with secondary companies in Russia. Even if  she isn't really suited to a corps position, I assume it  must have been a "take it or leave it" offer.

Just about every company contract in ballet is a "take it or leave it" contract.   

I don't think she's unsuited to a corps position, given the high level of the corps at Boston Ballet, and the chances they've been given in soloist and principal roles.  Because she was considered unsuited for corps roles in Russia -- she didn't have the same training  -- she never had a chance truly to be part of the social animal that is the corps.  This will be her chance to see if it is what she wants.  

She's 25 years old, and there have been plenty of dancers with mostly classical training who have joined companies at that age and have risen to the challenges of new repertory, and they have joined at every level of a ballet company.   There are also dancers who did their training in the US, went straight to dance abroad, and had no experience dancing in a US company until they returned.

We'll see how she adapts as time goes on.

22 hours ago, naomikage said:

Good to see Waski has landed there 😊 I see first up for their season is Giselle, and that’s something she has done well based on her YouTube performance with Xiomara Reyes, plus wasn’t she slated to dance Myrtha last Met Season? A loss for ABT maybe a nice gain for Boston. Best of wishes to her and all the new hires.