Jump to content
This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT 2019 Met Season


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, ABT Fan said:

I think they're holding those TBA's (or at least one) at the Met for Shayer, who is still out injured. I think Klein was cast on tour because Shayer has still not recovered (Shayer was paired up w/ Trenary in prior W.C.'s).

Per ABT's Instagram, Klein just recovered himself from a shoulder injury, so it's good to see him back. He's another corps dancer who seems to have a lot of potential and needs to be utilized more. 

Also, Luciana Paris is debuting Princess Praline in Iowa and Chicago, replacing Copeland (I have no idea why Copeland was replaced).

 

I hope Klein gets at least one of the Met dates, since he had to bow out of his Met date last year (if I'm remembering correctly). Somewhat off-topic, but wow, that snippet of the Strauss score sounds ravishing in the piano transcription. I feel like it's been ages since I've seen Luciana Paris in a tutu role, so I'm glad to hear she's getting that opportunity now that she's back from maternity leave.

Link to post

I received the latest Met brochure today (that has a newer, nicer format with some really gorgeous photos), and interestingly some of the TBA's are filled in along with other casting changes that aren't on the website. It's always the other way around. Since it seems like all of these changes are debuts, I think it will be less likely they'll change again, but who am I kidding, they probably will!

According to the brochure:

On the Dnieper is now Forster, Seo, Hurlin, Hammoudi and then Stearns, Teuscher, Shevchenko, Whiteside. Very disappointing because I wanted to see Shevchenko along with the first cast (she was originally cast as Natalia, Seo's role, but is now doing Olga). 

Le Corsaire's two Lankendem TBA's now go to Hoven, which will be a debut. Happy I should get to see that. The one Ali TBA on the 15th is still there.

Manon's Lescaut TBA's go to Simkin (with the Lane cast).

Whipped Cream's The Boy TBA's are still there.

And, according to their Instagram's, corps dancers Alexandra Basmagy and Lauren Post are pregnant so they will miss the season along with Murphy.

Link to post
On 3/7/2019 at 11:01 AM, ABT Fan said:

 

Also, Luciana Paris is debuting Princess Praline in Iowa and Chicago, replacing Copeland (I have no idea why Copeland was replaced).

 

My guess is Copeland was having a hard time keeping up with the demands of the choreography. 

Link to post
18 minutes ago, Fleurfairy said:

My guess is Copeland was having a hard time keeping up with the demands of the choreography. 

Well, Copeland is still scheduled to dance this at the Met, like she did last year.

Link to post

Her hyperextension is quite pronounced. Something interesting the coach said in the comments:

" Misty wears pointe shoes mainly to keep the skin on her feet conditioned, because she doesn’t take company class, or any other classes. "

So, is she taking a solo class with him instead of company class at ABT? Interesting. Well, if it helps her technique then good for her. He also says he's preparing her for SL and Manon. I can't make it to NYC this year, but hopefully some of you guys can check out her SL and report any progress you see.

Back to Whipped Cream, good for Luciana Paris. I'm glad she gets to do a principal role.

Link to post
2 hours ago, fondoffouettes said:

Is she working through an injury? Why is she having so much trouble lifting her legs, particularly her left leg?

It is painful to watch her. Her face looks like someone is holding a gun to her head. Something is very, very wrong here. I've never seen a principal dancer with such poor form. 

Link to post
13 hours ago, LadyBubbles said:

So, is she taking a solo class with him instead of company class at ABT? Interesting. Well, if it helps her technique then good for her. He also says he's preparing her for SL and Manon. I can't make it to NYC this year, but hopefully some of you guys can check out her SL and report any progress you see.

1

It does appear she is going back to basics with him and may be working on revamping her technique. This could explain the apparent strain in lifting her legs in that other video, if she's indeed approaching things in an entirely new way. 

 In this other video, he basically recommends that Copeland embrace her hyperextension, rather try to hide it, in order to perform fouettés. 

Edited by fondoffouettes
Link to post

A lot of the ABT dancers judging from their instagrams seem to take private classes or coaching sessions from people outside the company. Skylar Brandt seems to get most of her coaching from Irina Dvorovenko.

Link to post
18 minutes ago, canbelto said:

A lot of the ABT dancers judging from their instagrams seem to take private classes or coaching sessions from people outside the company. Skylar Brandt seems to get most of her coaching from Irina Dvorovenko.

I had always assumed that was supplementary, not a substitute for at least fairly regular company class — but I don't know that I had any particular basis for that assumption.

Link to post

She just looks so far off her leg, especially on the right; I imagine doing this in class and getting nailed for it. I can't imagine that leaning into the hyperextension is helpful for alignment, or weight transfer, etc. when actually dancing. I am skeptical but whatever--maybe it will help her in some way.

Link to post
3 hours ago, nanushka said:

I had always assumed that was supplementary, not a substitute for at least fairly regular company class — but I don't know that I had any particular basis for that assumption.

That is correct. Brandt, Lane, Boylston, and most likely others have sought private coaching, mainly to learn and/or improve on certain roles. Irina Kolpakova can only work so many hours with each dancer, so some dancer see private coaching as the way to go. I commend these dancers for being so proactive and investing in their careers, even though it should be ABT's job to sure that their dancers are as prepared as they can be for a role.

Link to post
1 hour ago, ksk04 said:

She just looks so far off her leg, especially on the right; I imagine doing this in class and getting nailed for it. I can't imagine that leaning into the hyperextension is helpful for alignment, or weight transfer, etc. when actually dancing. I am skeptical but whatever--maybe it will help her in some way.

He discusses this topic in detail in many of his videos on his YouTube channel.  He has a whole video dedicated to critisizing Copeland's placement as the reason for her bad turns.  I give her a lot of credit for taking that criticisim and seeking his help instead of just being offended.

Edited by Balletwannabe
Link to post
54 minutes ago, lmspear said:

His name is Eric Conrad.  I think he was mentioned under another topic on this board a few years ago

 

Thank you, Imspear. I've never heard of him. Was he associated with a ballet company during a stage career, or has he made alignment the focus of his coaching?

Link to post

The program for the opening night gala is now listed on the website.  They will  perform Ratmansky's Serenade after Plato's Symposium and Ratmansky's new work, The Seasons.  No casting info is available.

Link to post

Spring Gala Casting is up: 

SERENADE AFTER PLATO'S SYMPOSIUM: Cornejo, Hammoudi, Forster, Royal, Shayer, Simkin, Gorak, Teuscher 

*SEASONS: Winter (Bell, Seo, Williams, Hurlin, Paris) Spring (Whiteside, Lane, Brandt) Summer (Boylston, Hoven, Scott, Maloney) Fall (Trenary, Royal) 

 

The other cast for "Seasons" is: 

May 21st & 22nd: Winter (Ahn, Teuscher, Fang, Giangeruso, McBride) Spring (Forster, Lane, Brandt) Summer (Abrera, Cornejo, Shayer, Klein) Fall (Hurlin, Hoven) 

 

*This is also the casting for the May 23rd performances of "Seasons" in the Ratmansky Trio. 

Link to post
48 minutes ago, annaewgn said:

Spring Gala Casting is up: 

SERENADE AFTER PLATO'S SYMPOSIUM: Cornejo, Hammoudi, Forster, Royal, Shayer, Simkin, Gorak, Teuscher 

*SEASONS: Winter (Bell, Seo, Williams, Hurlin, Paris) Spring (Whiteside, Lane, Brandt) Summer (Boylston, Hoven, Scott, Maloney) Fall (Trenary, Royal) 

 

The other cast for "Seasons" is: 

May 21st & 22nd: Winter (Ahn, Teuscher, Fang, Giangeruso, McBride) Spring (Forster, Lane, Brandt) Summer (Abrera, Cornejo, Shayer, Klein) Fall (Hurlin, Hoven) 

 

*This is also the casting for the May 23rd performances of "Seasons" in the Ratmansky Trio. 

I'm very pleased Ratmansky decided to choreograph to the Glazunov score . . . and would love to see this! (Won't unfortunately--at least not this season.) Both casts look appealing--I am wondering about "Spring" though--there must be alternates for the two women listed (Lane and Brandt)...or perhaps it is supposed to be the two women alternating? 

Link to post
45 minutes ago, Drew said:

I'm very pleased Ratmansky decided to choreograph to the Glazunov score . . . and would love to see this! (Won't unfortunately--at least not this season.) Both casts look appealing--I am wondering about "Spring" though--there must be alternates for the two women listed (Lane and Brandt)...or perhaps it is supposed to be the two women alternating? 

I think Brandt and Lane will perform their respective roles in every show. Perhaps Alexei only wanted Lane and Brandt for Spring, at least for this round of performances. 

Link to post
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...