This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT 2019 Met Season

12 minutes ago, bingham said:

So, Is Smirnova still coming as a guest? Just curious.

I don’t see an announcement on ABT’s site about any guest artists so I don’t think we know yet. Either the Met made a crazy error or let the cat out of the bag.

In addition to Murphy not dancing this Met season (though for a very happy reason!), Lendorf has been replaced in Harlequinade by corps dancer Carlos Gonzalez. Good for Gonzalez though. He’s also scheduled for a debut in Corsaire, so he’s a new one to watch. Lendorf isn’t scheduled for anything else during the Met, so is he leaving? Right now he’s still doing the winter tour.

Also just noticed that Trenary and K Williams will be making their debuts as Gulnare (replacing Murphy and Teuscher, respectively) and Teuscher is now debuting Medora.

I’m sure there are other changes (Manon, mentioned on another thread) but that’s all i see right his second. Happy for the additional debuts.

Edited by ABT Fan

Well, that's disappointing. I thought he was also supposed to dance SB on July 1, but now the ABT site is showing Whiteside dancing instead. I wonder what's going on with Lendorf.

And this is all adding up to a lot of dancing for Whiteside, no? I enjoy his dancing (I realize that may be a minority opinion here) and I really hope all of this doesn't end with him injuring himself because the ranks of ABT men are stretched so thin. Then again, I've never been a dancer myself—maybe the load is manageable? It just looks like he's taking on a lot.

I am looking forward to Gonzalez in Corsaire, though!

Edited by vendangeuse

When buying a subscription I get “Early access to additional single tickets”.  I’ve always resisted, as I prefer to select my own seats.  However I’m thinking about ordering single tickets for a couple of performances.  Has anyone had recent experience ordering early access tickets, and does the MET charge the usual online per ticket fees as they do during the season?   If so, I may be better off just adding a “create your own series” as I’ve often done in the past.  Thanks!

2 hours ago, NinaFan said:

When buying a subscription I get “Early access to additional single tickets”.  I’ve always resisted, as I prefer to select my own seats.  However I’m thinking about ordering single tickets for a couple of performances.  Has anyone had recent experience ordering early access tickets, and does the MET charge the usual online per ticket fees as they do during the season?   If so, I may be better off just adding a “create your own series” as I’ve often done in the past.  Thanks!

Last year I ordered a pair of single tickets and I paid no fees. (I checked my email to verify this.)

This year I’m holding out for the “create-your-own” subscription though, so I don’t know if the fee policy is still the same. 

Guest artist news:

BROOKLYN MACK TO DEBUT WITH
AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE AS GUEST ARTIST

FOR 2019 SPRING SEASON AT
THE METROPOLITAN OPERA HOUSE

MACK SCHEDULED TO DANCE THREE PERFORMANCES OF

LE CORSAIRE, JUNE 12 MATINEE,
JUNE 13 EVENING AND JUNE 15 EVENING

Brooklyn Mack, a former member of The Washington Ballet and ABT Studio
Company, will join American Ballet Theatre as Guest Artist during the Company’s 2019
Spring season at the Metropolitan Opera House. It was announced today by Artistic
Director Kevin McKenzie.
Mack will dance the role of Ali in Le Corsaire at the matinee on Wednesday,
June 12 and the role of Conrad on the evenings of Thursday, June 13 and Saturday, June 15.
Mack began his ballet training at age 12 at the Pavlovich Dance School in Elgin,
South Carolina. At age 15, he received a full scholarship to study at The Kirov Academy
of Ballet in Washington, D.C. Mack joined the Joffrey Ballet in Chicago as an apprentice
in 2004 and began training with ABT Studio Company in 2005. He joined Orlando
Ballet in 2006 and The Washington Ballet in 2009. His numerous awards include a silver
medal at the 2006 USA International Ballet Competition in Jackson, Mississippi, the
2007 Princess Grace Awards fellowship, the silver prize at the 2009 Helsinki
International Ballet Competition, the Grand Prix at the 2012 Istanbul International Ballet
Competition and the Gold Medal at the 2012 Varna International Ballet Competition.
The 2019 Spring performances are Mack’s first appearances with American Ballet
Theatre.

Subscriptions for American Ballet Theatre’s 2019 Spring Season at the
Metropolitan Opera House are available by phone at 212-362-6000, or online at ABT’s
website www.abt.org. Individual tickets, starting at $22, go on sale beginning Sunday,
March 24 at 12:00 Noon. The Metropolitan Opera House is located on Broadway
between 64th and 65th streets in New York City.

21 minutes ago, Dale said:

Guest artist news:

BROOKLYN MACK TO DEBUT WITH
AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE AS GUEST ARTIST

FOR 2019 SPRING SEASON AT
THE METROPOLITAN OPERA HOUSE

MACK SCHEDULED TO DANCE THREE PERFORMANCES OF

LE CORSAIRE, JUNE 12 MATINEE,
JUNE 13 EVENING AND JUNE 15 EVENING

Brooklyn Mack, a former member of The Washington Ballet and ABT Studio
Company, will join American Ballet Theatre as Guest Artist during the Company’s 2019
Spring season at the Metropolitan Opera House. It was announced today by Artistic
Director Kevin McKenzie.
Mack will dance the role of Ali in Le Corsaire at the matinee on Wednesday,
June 12 and the role of Conrad on the evenings of Thursday, June 13 and Saturday, June 15.
Mack began his ballet training at age 12 at the Pavlovich Dance School in Elgin,
South Carolina. At age 15, he received a full scholarship to study at The Kirov Academy
of Ballet in Washington, D.C. Mack joined the Joffrey Ballet in Chicago as an apprentice
in 2004 and began training with ABT Studio Company in 2005. He joined Orlando
Ballet in 2006 and The Washington Ballet in 2009. His numerous awards include a silver
medal at the 2006 USA International Ballet Competition in Jackson, Mississippi, the
2007 Princess Grace Awards fellowship, the silver prize at the 2009 Helsinki
International Ballet Competition, the Grand Prix at the 2012 Istanbul International Ballet
Competition and the Gold Medal at the 2012 Varna International Ballet Competition.
The 2019 Spring performances are Mack’s first appearances with American Ballet
Theatre.

Subscriptions for American Ballet Theatre’s 2019 Spring Season at the
Metropolitan Opera House are available by phone at 212-362-6000, or online at ABT’s
website www.abt.org. Individual tickets, starting at $22, go on sale beginning Sunday,
March 24 at 12:00 Noon. The Metropolitan Opera House is located on Broadway
between 64th and 65th streets in New York City.

This is a slap in the face to male dancers at ABT who can dance these roles. To bring in a dancer who formerly danced with regional companies...

3 minutes ago, fondoffouettes said:

This is a slap in the face to male dancers at ABT who can dance these roles. To bring in a dancer who formerly danced with regional companies...

I kind of thought this as well, but three corps dancers are getting shots at some of the principal roles (Ahn is a repeat). The only other ABT dancer who could do Ali who hasn't already been cast, IMO, is Shayer, who will hopefully get the other TBA once he recovers from his injury (in addition to Lankendem, which he's done before). 

Mack has also become an international star, guesting with big companies. Otherwise, I'd agree about the regional company comment. 

I wonder if they're considering hiring him and this is a try-out. We all know they need tall, male stars.

9 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

I kind of thought this as well, but three corps dancers are getting shots at some of the principal roles (Ahn is a repeat). The only other ABT dancer who could do Ali who hasn't already been cast, IMO, is Shayer, who will hopefully get the other TBA once he recovers from his injury (in addition to Lankendem, which he's done before). 

Mack has also become an international star, guesting with big companies. Otherwise, I'd agree about the regional company comment. 

I wonder if they're considering hiring him and this is a try-out. We all know they need tall, male stars.

I was hoping that Bell would be doing Conrad TBAs. 

I haven't seen Trenary's Aurora but have heard wonderful things. I saw Seo's Aurora in DC; Marcelo was her prince. Marcelo stole the show. Oftentimes, when Seo was dancing in front of the corps, I forgot she was dancing and watched the corps instead. She was pretty but bland.

"Pretty but bland" - thats a good description of Seo in pretty much all of her roles.

I saw Trenary's Aurora. It was awhile ago and I don't remember details but I remember thinking that she was wonderful. I also think the prince is a better role for Gorak than for Bell. I think Bell has the potential to be a great dancer and I'm looking forward to seeing several of his debuts this season but I'm skipping this one. In Ratmansky's version most of the prince's dancing is petite allegro and I think that usually looks better on a shorter dancer. I'm planning to go to Lane/Cornejo and Trenary/Gorak.

Edited by nysusan
5 hours ago, ABT Fan said:

Completely disagree. Scott, Klein, Pogossian, Maloney, Whitely, Han, Frenette and McCune are all perfectly capable of Ali given what they’ve shown either on stage or on Instagram. 

I think a huge disadvantage that ABT has is their lack of a substantial Nutcracker season, with a substantial Nutcracker (one where there are lots of small but meaty roles that need to be filled) where dancers get the chance to really develop and evolve in the management’s eye, and get noticed by the audience. 

It is difficult to give an untested dancer, or a dancer without a big fan base a big chance for the Met which is really ABT’s only substantial season.

6 hours ago, Emma said:

Mack is a stunning dancer—he has charisma and technique to spare. I remember seeing him in Washington years ago wondering why he wasn't dancing with a major company.

Absolutely agree with this. He has technique and charisma, and he actually has guested a lot in major companies and in Russia so he is already a star. 

I have seen him guest in English National Ballet's Le Corsaire both as Conrad and Lankedem as well as Ali in numerous galas, and his virtuosity was amazing, bravura technique and elegance as well. It is sad that people look down on someone saying a regional company dancer... 

22 hours ago, fondoffouettes said:

Mack spent a year in the ABT Studio Company and I'd be willing to categorize his guest performances as a homecoming for a performer who got away.  In addition to the technical chops and charisma noted by BA'ers above, the man is an excellent partner.  I've enjoyed be every performance of his I've been lucky enough to see.  He is a star.

Edited by lmspear
Typo.
On 1/7/2019 at 6:03 PM, BLalo said:

Completely disagree. Scott, Klein, Pogossian, Maloney, Whitely, Han, Frenette and McCune are all perfectly capable of Ali given what they’ve shown either on stage or on Instagram. 

I think a huge disadvantage that ABT has is their lack of a substantial Nutcracker season, with a substantial Nutcracker (one where there are lots of small but meaty roles that need to be filled) where dancers get the chance to really develop and evolve in the management’s eye, and get noticed by the audience. 

It is difficult to give an untested dancer, or a dancer without a big fan base a big chance for the Met which is really ABT’s only substantial season.

But Mack is only dancing one Ali (a Wednesday matinee).  I think it's obvious they are bringing him to the Met to dance Conrad with Schevchenko.  Do Scott, Klein, Maloney, or the others you mentioned have the size or the technique to pull off that partnering assignment?  I don't think they'd want to try!

One doesn't need a big fan base to get a chance on the Met stage in one of these big roles.  I saw Cory Stearns debut as Conrad with Dvorovenko when he was a 22 year old corps member who most of the audience was unfamiliar with.  He had been practicing the role with Veronika Part and Dvorovenko since Gomes was injured that season, yet some of the partnering was still sketchy.  Bell has had a lot of opportunities come his way since Gomes resigned, and think it has a lot more to do with his size and skill as a partner than any fan base.

Mack has proven himself as a partner in big roles, and has danced Conrad with the English National Ballet.  I'm actually with KM on this one. Excited to see Mack, Shevchenko, Trenary, and Simkin in Corsaire on 6/15!