This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT 2019 Met Season

1 hour ago, Olga said:

There are discrepancies between the Met and ABT cast lists for the Ratmansky Trio. Has anyone contact ABT about this? Is there a definitive answer? Shall I assume ABT list to be most accurarate? 

I think the ABT site is probably more accurate. Several dancers have posted their performances schedules to social media, and as far as I can tell, those dates coincide with the casting on the ABT site. 

On 5/12/2019 at 3:14 PM, uptowner said:

apologies for probably asking a real newbie question, but I have just gotten at TDF membership, what are the seats usually like for ABT? In the past two years I have had really good luck with rush tickets getting quite decent seats day of (and you can see what seats they are before you pay for them)-- for those who have used both, are they similar in terms of seating? 

The few times I've used TDF at ABT, I've been on the far sides of the orchestra. But both times there were plenty of open seats still in the orchestra sides, but much further center, so I (and everyone else around me) moved closer in.

A lot of casting updates/additions.

Casting for Brahms-Haydn Variations has finally been posted, plus changes for the other two Tharp ballets.

Also, Young Jane in Jane Eyre is now listed - Brandt, Hurlin and young corps dancer Breanne Granlund alternate (Granlund is also listed for principal casting in Ratmansky's The Seasons. This is the first time she's being featured).

Ahn has been the given the last TBA for Ali on 6/15. Birbanto's are now listed.

https://www.abt.org/performances/master-calendar/

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 11:16 PM, annaewgn said:

I think Brandt and Lane will perform their respective roles in every show. Perhaps Alexei only wanted Lane and Brandt for Spring, at least for this round of performances. 

ABT website casting now indicates a different pair of female soloists for The Seasons-Spring:  Trenary & Granlund. It won't be Lane & Brandt at every performance.

https://www.abt.org/event_dates/ratmansky-trio-5-21-19-730pm/

Edited by Roberta

To the person who was asking about TDF seats - last season I had decent luck with TDF (Orch row N, P, etc), but this season I'm striking out with the far back orchestra - last night I was row CC, and it was hard to see the stage.  I'm going to try rushing and see if I have better luck!  And I went ahead and shelled out for tickets to the Lane/Cornejo Manon and Corsaire.  I don't want to risk having crappy seats for those!

1 minute ago, Balletwannabe said:

Does anyone else feel like this was a marketing ploy just to sell tickets...never heard of a dancer not showing up for work unless they were deathly ill or injured.  

No.

It would be an idiotic ploy because now you have a bunch of angry people who are less likely to buy tickets in the future.

30 minutes ago, Barbara said:

Quite a number of very unhappy parents traveling from away to bring their children to see Misty in Whipped Cream have commented on her post.

Unfortunately, this seems to have become a regular occurrence with Misty.  It's called bait and switch.  She is not injured, so she should be dancing as scheduled.  Her fans have every right to be angry. 

29 minutes ago, Balletwannabe said:

Does anyone else feel like this was a marketing ploy just to sell tickets...never heard of a dancer not showing up for work unless they were deathly ill or injured.  

Yes, that's exactly what it is. A little game to sell extra tickets even though ABT knows very well that Copeland will not appear.

1 minute ago, abatt said:

Unfortunately, this seems to have become a regular occurrence with Misty.  It's called bait and switch.  She is not injured, so she should be dancing as scheduled.  Her fans have every right to be angry. 

I confess that when I first saw this information, I guessed that she just couldn't get the choreography and bailed. "Schedule conflict" is a more face-saving way to explain that than technical inability to do the steps (especially after the fouette embarrassment last year). Much of Ratmansky's choreography is fiendishly difficult -- the long series of hops on pointe, e.g. -- and a year or two ago, many on this board noted how much difficulty she was having with the steps. I doubt Ratmansky would have been happy letting her change/simplify his work. 

1 minute ago, California said:

I confess that when I first saw this information, I guessed that she just couldn't get the choreography and bailed. "Schedule conflict" is a more face-saving way to explain that than technical inability to do the steps (especially after the fouette embarrassment last year). Much of Ratmansky's choreography is fiendishly difficult -- the long series of hops on pointe, e.g. -- and a year or two ago, many on this board noted how much difficulty she was having with the steps. I doubt Ratmansky would have been happy letting her change/simplify his work. 

My feeling as well.

I don't know whether it's a case of bait and switch, but the announcement certainly could have been made sooner. LadyBubbles noted upthread on May 14 that Copeland had been removed from those performances and replaced by Luciana Paris.

Didn't Luciana Paris fill in for Copeland in this role when they were on tour earlier this year? And didn't Brandt do the same at some point? I agree with others that the role may simply not be a congenial fit for Copeland. Trenary describes the variation as a real killer, particularly noting how difficult it is to pull of the fouettes at the end:

Yes, Brandt replaced Misty in Whipped Cream last season, I believe.  (I ran to the box office to buy a ticket when I saw that Brandt would appear instead of Copeland.)  Yes, Paris replaced Copeland on the tour.  Copeland also skipped the Kennedy Center Whipped Cream engagement.  So it was pretty clear to us balletomanes that Copeland would not dance Whipped Cream at the Met this season.  Nevertheless, if you look up thread, as late as May 7 McKenzie was sending out a casting press release which still listed Copeland for Whipped Cream.  He was hoping to dupe as many of her fans for as long as possible before he changed the casting. 

I agree with everyone  who has concluded that "schedule conflict" is code for Misty is not capable of dancing the role.  What does it say about ABT that Paris, who I believe is the same age or older than Copeland, is able to do the work?    What does it say about ABT that they pull this stunt on a regular basis?  What does it say about Copeland and her management team that they go along with the sham to help ABT sell tickets?

In fairness, it's possible this is a schedule conflict -- but if it were something like a family emergency or funeral, why not say that? The pattern from the past year certainly provides grounds for serious suspicion! That clip from Paris and her comments -- wow -- quite a variation!

On 5/19/2019 at 9:43 AM, lostatthemet said:

To the person who was asking about TDF seats - last season I had decent luck with TDF (Orch row N, P, etc), but this season I'm striking out with the far back orchestra - last night I was row CC, and it was hard to see the stage.  I'm going to try rushing and see if I have better luck!  And I went ahead and shelled out for tickets to the Lane/Cornejo Manon and Corsaire.  I don't want to risk having crappy seats for those!

I had row O orchestra, seat 31 so quite far over but full view, last night. It was just fine. Just bought on TDF for the Tharp program. 

Tonight NYCB. May is glory month for NY ballet fans. What happens next year with ABT changed schedule? 

2 minutes ago, California said:

A "schedule conflict" is face-saving to some people, but clearly not to her fans and others who know full well that a scheduling conflict, if it is indeed that, is completely avoidable. Her posting this on her Instagram only two days before her originally scheduled show is disrespectful to her legions of fans, and clearly many of her fans don't check, or know to check, ABT's website for casting changes. As mentioned upthread, this recasting happened by May 14 at the latest. Sure, they still couldn't have gotten their money back for their tickets, but a week and half's notice is MUCH better than two days, allowing for people to at least change their travel plans for a long, holiday weekend (and maybe get a refund/credit for that).

I don't think I believe this was some marketing ploy by ABT, but they should have re-cast it sooner if it was decided the role was too much for her with everything else on her plate. As noted above, Princess Praline's choreography (like much of Ratmansky) is very difficult. Is it any wonder why she isn't appearing in any of his works this season, including his premiere? 

5 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

As noted above, Princess Praline's choreography (like much of Ratmansky) is very difficult. Is it any wonder why she isn't appearing in any of his works this season, including his premiere? 

Bingo.  You hit the nail on the head.  Ratmansky is powerful, and he does not permit his choreography  to be altered.

1 minute ago, abatt said:

Bingo.  You hit the nail on the head.  Ratmansky is powerful, and he does not permit his choreography  to be altered.

Which begs the question, why wasn't she re-cast sooner? Or better yet, why was she cast at all? She's appearing in enough already for "ticket sales", however, with the exception of  Swan Lake, none of her other shows sell out anyway (or are even close to as of right now), so that's why I doubt the purposeful bait and switch. It doesn't make sense.