This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT 2019 Met Season

3 hours ago, nysusan said:

I agree with you 100%! I did renew my subscription so I will be going, but it was quite a challenge to find performances I wanted to go to. Almost everything was a compromise - a ballet I wasn't crazy about to see a specific dancer, one dancer I loved paired with another I dislike.  And there is way too much Ratmansky. I like him but come on - Ratmansky trio, his Harlequinade, Whipped Cream and  Sleeping Beauty. Four programs in an 8 week season? Its just too much.

And as to exciting debuts in Swan Lake - I haven't seen Shevchenko yet (hoping to see her this season, another compromise since she's dancing with Whiteside) but I would definitely not consider Teuscher's O/O exciting. I thought she showed a lot of promise in her debut but last year with Stearns she was just awful. Her Odette had a stiff back, low arabesques, unstretched and unheld positions and was boring, boring, boring!

I was going to weigh in similarly, nysusan, but you saved me the trouble, as I agree with everything you wrote, down to the final exclamation points.

Casting has been posted for some of the Tharp Trio:

In the Upper Room

Thursday/Friday/Saturday night - Devon Teuscher, Cassandra Trenary, Skylar Brandt, Aran Bell, Herman Cornejo, Blaine Hoven, Isabella Boylston, Joo Won Ahn

Saturday matinee/Monday - Stephanie Williams, Catherine Hurlin, Wanyue Qiao, Calvin Royal III, Cory Stearns, Duncan Lyle, Christine Shevchenko, Thomas Forster

Deuce Coupe

Thursday/Friday/Saturday night - Christine Shevchenko, Isabella Boylston, Misty Copeland, Stella Abrera, James Whiteside, Calvin Royal III

Saturday matinee/Monday - TBA

Brahms/Haydn variations

TBA (all performances)

On Sarah Lane’s Instagram story, she posted a shot of counts for the Jane Eyre “wedding scene”. What part could she be playing at the wedding? I can only imagine some sort of corps part since none of the other major female characters in the book were at Jane’s wedding. 

5 minutes ago, Fleurfairy said:

On Sarah Lane’s Instagram story, she posted a shot of counts for the Jane Eyre “wedding scene”. What part could she be playing at the wedding? I can only imagine some sort of corps part since none of the other major female characters in the book were at Jane’s wedding. 

Perhaps, against all odds, she is learning the role of Jane? Either as an understudy, or sometime down the road?

2 hours ago, angelica said:

Perhaps, against all odds, she is learning the role of Jane? Either as an understudy, or sometime down the road?

Or, she's learning whatever role Cassandra Trenary (I believe, I could be wrong) plays in the trailer-- she appears briefly through the doorway: 

11 hours ago, Fleurfairy said:

As we know from other book-to-ballets, an epic book would require the condensing of many events into fewer, larger scenes and it is possible that Adele, Mrs Fairfax, Grace, Bertha, Blanche, among others appear at the wedding. We also have no idea at this point the choreographic weight the choreographer has prescribed to anyone in the novel. 

It seems quite strange to assume that a principal could only be doing a corps role based on the little information we have about the ballet. 

If you are looking forward to the upcoming Lane/Cornejo performances of "Sleeping Beauty" this spring as much as I am, hurry over to Sarah Lane's Instagram stories, where she has posted some rehearsal footage of her Rose adagio (footage should disappear sometime Sunday pm).  If she remains as relaxed and technically strong in July, we will be treated to two more performances of her amazing and gorgeous Aurora. 

On 4/26/2019 at 8:07 PM, Fleurfairy said:

Lane posted her schedule on FB and IG. She's playing Mrs. Fairfax.

It's been a while since I read the book. She's Rochester's housekeeper, right?

I received an e-mail from ABT with discount codes for certain performances.  Details below:

Give Mom the Gift of Dance this Mother’s Day

For a limited time only, purchase Orchestra tickets at 25% off the regular price for select performances.

Use the promo code ABTMoms to receive 25% off. This offer expires May 13.
Visit the Metropolitan Opera House Opera Box Office or call 212-362-6000 to order. *Tickets are subject to availability

ABT Mother’s Day Discount Performances:

HARLEQUINADE
Tuesday, May 14
Wednesday, May 15
Thursday, May 16
Friday, May 17
Saturday, May 18

WHIPPED CREAM
Friday, May 24
Saturday, May 25 matinee
Monday, May 27
Tuesday, May 28
Wednesday, May 29

THE SLEEPING BEAUTY
Monday, July 1
Tuesday, July 2
Wednesday, July 3
Thursday, July 4 matinee
Friday, July 5
Saturday, July 6

Question about Met seating:

In an attempt to change up where I usually sit and to save some money, I'm thinking about grabbing a Grand Tier box seat for a performance or two. Not the partial view ones, but one of the seats in the first row (i.e. Box 34-2 or Box 34-3) which according to the seating chart should be full view. Has anyone ever sat here for a ballet? What is the view like? Is it actually full view? Will I still be able to see facial expressions without opera glasses or is this too high and on the side? I would choose this seat for something like Tharp Trio or the Ratmansky Trio, not one my must-see's (i.e. Lane's Manon).

Any advice would be appreciated!

Edited by ABT Fan

Even though the Met lists some Grand Tier box seats as full view, they are in my experience all partial view seats.  I used to sit in the Grand tier box furthest from the stage, in the front row of the box. I stopped sitting there because  I got tired of people leaning  their heads and  torsos over the sides of the box  to improve their view.  I also couldn't stand people in the box  moving their chairs around in the box so that they were practically sitting in my lap in order to jockey for a better view.  Just my personal opinion, but I would never sit in those boxes again for ballet.  For opera, where the visual details aren't so important, the boxes are less problematic.

Just my two cents.

Edited by abatt

I agree with abatt about the boxes.  Not only do people move their chairs around which affects everyone else in the box, but you'll probably wind up with a stiff neck trying to see around people who move their chairs around or crane their necks.  That's been my experience. They are awful seats, and I would only consider them if they were the only seats available for a sold out ballet.

And no, you will not be able to see facial expressions from that distance without opera glasses.

Edited by NinaFan

We have discussed seating at the Met repeatedly. Some of it is personal preference. I like the Grand Tier, as you have an unobstructed view and the rows are steeply laddered, so you don't have a head-in-front problem. But you're so far away - yuk. 

I hate the orchestra -- the only thing I consider is side orchestra on the aisle, which gives you an unobstructed view without heads, even pretty far back. But they're hard to come by. Everything else in orchestra is at high-risk of heads blocking views, especially if you're on the short side.

I actually like the parterre boxes near the stage when I'm seeing a lot of performances in other seating of the same ballet/cast. You have an obstructed view of the back corner, so you have to be careful about which side (the balcony for R&J, the grave for Giselle, etc.). The  second row is unacceptable in all circumstances. It's fun to see them up close and even a little into the wings, but you have to know what you're losing and putting up with when you pick those tickets.

I agree with California that the regular rows in Grand Tier are great for their unobstructed views, however they are further away from the stage than I like.  I usually sit in the Orchestra, but since I'm short I have to contend with heads in my way as California noted.   If only the MET had the Koch sight lines! 

From the company:

CASTING ANNOUNCED FOR FIRST TWO WEEKS OF AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE’S 2019 SPRING SEASON AT METROPOLITAN OPERA HOUSE

World Premiere of Alexei Ratmansky’s The SeasonsScheduled for Spring Gala, Monday, May 20 at 6:30 P.M.

Casting for the first two weeks of American Ballet Theatre’s 2019 Spring Season at the Metropolitan Opera House was announced today by Artistic Director Kevin McKenzie.

The season will begin with eight performances of Alexei Ratmansky’sHarlequinade, beginning Monday, May 13, with Isabella Boylston, James Whiteside, Stella Abrera and Thomas Forster in the leading roles. The performance on Tuesday, May 14, will feature New York debuts by Carlos Gonzalez (Harlequin), Devon Teuscher (Pierrette) and Calvin Royal III (Pierrot). Tyler Maloney will dance the role of Harlequin for the first time in New York at the matinee on Wednesday, May 15. This production ofHarlequinade received its World Premiere by American Ballet Theatre on June 4, 2018, led by Isabella Boylston (Columbine), James Whiteside (Harlequin), Gillian Murphy (Pierrette) and Thomas Forster (Pierrot). A comic ballet in two acts, Harlequinade is set to music by Riccardo Drigo and first premiered in 1900 in St. Petersburg, Russia. Ratmansky’s Harlequinade features sets and costumes by Robert Perdziola and lighting by Brad Fields.

The 2019 Spring Gala on Monday, May 20 at 6:30 P.M., paying tribute to the 10thAnniversary year of Alexei Ratmansky as ABT Artist in Residence, will feature the choreographer’s 2016 work Serenade after Plato’s Symposium and this Spring’s World Premiere of The Seasons. Serenade after Plato’s Symposium is set to music by Leonard Bernstein and features scenery and costumes by Jérôme Kaplan and lighting by Brad Fields. The ballet will be danced by Herman Cornejo, Alexandre Hammoudi, Thomas Forster, Calvin Royal III, Gabe Stone Shayer, Daniil Simkin, Joseph Gorak and Devon Teuscher.

The World Premiere of The Seasons will be led by Aran Bell, Hee Seo, Katherine Williams, Catherine Hurlin, Luciana Paris, James Whiteside, Sarah Lane, Skylar Brandt, Isabella Boylston, Blaine Hoven, Arron Scott, Tyler Maloney, Cassandra Trenary and Calvin Royal III. Set to the score by Alexander Glazunov, The Seasons features sets and costumes designed by Robert Perdziola and lighting by Mark Stanley.

The second week of the Spring season will continue with four performances of an all-Ratmansky program of repertory works, May 21–23. In addition to The Seasons, the Ratmansky Trio will include Songs of Bukovina (2017) and On the Dnieper (2009).

Joo Won Ahn, Devon Teuscher, Zhong-Jing Fang, April Giangeruso, Betsy McBride, Thomas Forster, Stella Abrera, Herman Cornejo, Gabe Stone Shayer, Jonathan Klein, Catherine Hurlin and Blaine Hoven will debut in The Seasons on Tuesday, May 21.Songs of Bukovina, with Isabella Boylston and Blaine Hoven leading the opening night cast, is set to music by Leonid Desyatnikov and features costumes by Moritz Junge and lighting by Brad Fields. The ballet was given its World Premiere on October 18, 2017 at the David H. Koch Theater in New York, performed by Christine Shevchenko and Calvin Royal III, as well as April Giangeruso, Lauren Post, Katherine Williams, Stephanie Williams, Marshall Whiteley, Joo Won Ahn, Duncan Lyle and Patrick Frenette.

The May 21 cast of On the Dnieper will be led by Hee Seo as Natalia with debuts by Cory Stearns as Sergei, Christine Shevchenko as Olga and James Whiteside as Olga’s Fiancé. The matinee on Wednesday, May 22 will feature debuts by Thomas Forster (Sergei), Devon Teuscher (Natalia) and Catherine Hurlin (Olga). On the Dnieper, set to a score of the same name by Sergei Prokofiev, has scenery by Simon Pastukh, costumes by Galina Solovyeva, lighting by Brad Fields and projections by Wendall K. Harrington. Ratmansky’s production of On the Dnieper received its World Premiere on June 1, 2009 at the Metropolitan Opera House, performed by Veronika Part (Natalia), Marcelo Gomes (Sergei), Paloma Herrera (Olga) and David Hallberg (Olga’s Fiancé). Prokofiev’s score for On the Dnieper was originally commissioned by the Paris Opera, and the ballet received its World Premiere in 1932 by the Paris Opera Ballet. On the Dnieper was last performed by ABT in 2010.

The second week will conclude with three performances of Whipped Cream, beginning Friday, May 24, led by Daniil Simkin as The Boy, Stella Abrera as Princess Tea Flower, Calvin Royal III as Prince Coffee and Sarah Lane as Princess Praline. Tyler Maloney will make his New York debut as The Boy at the matinee on Saturday, May 25. Choreographed by Alexei Ratmansky, the ballet features scenery and costumes by artist Mark Ryden and lighting by Brad Fields. Whipped Cream, with a libretto and score by Richard Strauss, is based on the two-act ballet originally created as Schlagobers, which premiered at the Vienna State Opera in 1924. Ratmansky’s production received its World Premiere by ABT on March 15, 2017 at Segerstrom Center for the Arts in Costa Mesa, California danced by Daniil Simkin (The Boy), Stella Abrera (Princess Tea Flower), David Hallberg (Prince Coffee) and Sarah Lane (Princess Praline).

Tickets for American Ballet Theatre’s 2019 Metropolitan Opera House season, beginning at $25, are available online, at the Met box office or by phone at 212-362-6000. The Metropolitan Opera House is located on Broadway between 64th and 65th streets in New York City. For more information, visit ABT’s website at www.abt.org.

Complete casting follows.

Leadership support for Harlequinade, part of The Ratmansky Project, has been generously provided by the Blavatnik Family Foundation and The Marjorie S. Isaac/Irving H. Isaac Fund.

On the Dnieper is generously sponsored by Leila and Mickey Straus and through an endowed gift from The Toni and Martin Sosnoff New Works Fund.

Leadership support for The Ratmansky Project has been provided by Avery and Andrew F. Barth, the Blavatnik Family Foundation, Mr. and Mrs. Hamilton E. James, and The Ted and Mary Jo Shen Charitable Gift Fund. Additional support has been provided by Dr. Joan Taub Ades, Linda Allard, Sarah Arison, Steven Backes, Lisa and Dick Cashin, Mark Casey and Carrie Gaiser Casey, The Susan and Leonard Feinstein Foundation, Linda and Martin Fell, Vicki Netter Fitzgerald, William J. Gillespie, Brian J. Heidtke, The Marjorie S. Isaac/Irving H. Isaac Fund, Howard S. Paley, Pearl T. Maxim Trust, Lloyd E. Rigler – Lawrence E. Deutsch Foundation, Bernard L. Schwartz, John Leland Sills and Elizabeth Papadopoulos-Sills, Melissa A. Smith, The H. Russell Smith Foundation/Stewart R. Smith and Robin A. Ferracone, The Toni and Martin Sosnoff Foundation, Sutton Stracke, and Sedgwick Ward. Leadership support for Whipped Cream, part of The Ratmansky Project, has been generously provided by the Blavatnik Family Foundation and the Lloyd E. Rigler - Lawrence A. Deutsch Foundation.

American Airlines is the Official Airline of American Ballet Theatre.

ABT is supported, in part, with public funds from the National Endowment for the Arts; the New York State Council on the Arts with the support of Governor Andrew Cuomo and the New York State Legislature; and the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs, in partnership with the City Council.

Follow American Ballet Theatre on Twitter at https://twitter.com/ABTBalleton Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/AmericanBalletTheatre
on Youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/ABTBalletTheatre
or on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/abtofficial/?hl=en

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 5:52 PM, RUKen said:

Casting has been posted for some of the Tharp Trio:

In the Upper Room

Thursday/Friday/Saturday night - Devon Teuscher, Cassandra Trenary, Skylar Brandt, Aran Bell, Herman Cornejo, Blaine Hoven, Isabella Boylston, Joo Won Ahn

Saturday matinee/Monday - Stephanie Williams, Catherine Hurlin, Wanyue Qiao, Calvin Royal III, Cory Stearns, Duncan Lyle, Christine Shevchenko, Thomas Forster

Deuce Coupe

Thursday/Friday/Saturday night - Christine Shevchenko, Isabella Boylston, Misty Copeland, Stella Abrera, James Whiteside, Calvin Royal III

Saturday matinee/Monday - TBA

Brahms/Haydn variations

TBA (all performances)

The Deuce Coupe cast for the Saturday matinee and Monday evening performances has now been posted:

Katherine Williams, Cassandra Trenary, Luciana Paris, Stella Abrera, James Whiteside, Calvin Royal III

There are still no casts posted for Brahms/Haydn variations.

1 hour ago, vagansmom said:

I just see Copeland listed once, on May 25 in Whipped Cream. Is she injured? guesting elsewhere?

That's not her only listed performance, nor even her only listed performance in Whipped Cream (the other is on May 29). She has two Swan Lake performances as usual, for instance — among others.

ETA:  Her full schedule is listed here.

Edited by nanushka

apologies for probably asking a real newbie question, but I have just gotten at TDF membership, what are the seats usually like for ABT? In the past two years I have had really good luck with rush tickets getting quite decent seats day of (and you can see what seats they are before you pay for them)-- for those who have used both, are they similar in terms of seating? 

There are discrepancies between the Met and ABT cast lists for the Ratmansky Trio. Has anyone contact ABT about this? Is there a definitive answer? Shall I assume ABT list to be most accurarate? 

53 minutes ago, Olga said:

There are discrepancies between the Met and ABT cast lists for the Ratmansky Trio. Has anyone contact ABT about this? Is there a definitive answer? Shall I assume ABT list to be most accurarate? 

Last year I had a similar situation and ABT's website was more up to date than the Met's website.  I had even asked box office staff and they said ABT's website was probably more up to date, and in that particular case they were right.   That being said, a couple of years ago, the Met website was more up to date than ABT's website.  So if you still haven't bought your tickets, and need to be sure before buying them, I'd call ABT.  Of course casting changes all the time, and could still change again.

Edited by NinaFan