ABT Fan

ABT 2019 Met Season

3 minutes ago, CTballetfan said:

Thank you to all the posters on this forum for your reviews and impressions of the spring 2019 season. I followed you all. I was not planning to see any ABT performances this season, despite having been a past subscriber for many years (I do subscribe to NYCB) but I felt impelled to see Lane and Cornejo in Manon and SB and I was not disappointed. Their chemistry in Manon and Lane’s Rose Adagio and  Cornejo’s solo in SB were worth the effort of getting there.

What are you hoping/expecting to see in spring 2020? Is it time for Giselle or Don Q or R&J? Will there be any ballets not often performed? Will Gillian be back to dazzle us with her technical mastery? Any clues to any of this?

Wishing you all a good summer. 

They are doing SL, Giselle and Bayadere on tour in 2020 so we will definitely see those three at the Met. Also, Ratmansky is doing a new full length which we’ve discussed on another thread. Besides those four, I’m also curious what we’ll see. R&J would be great, if Lane will finally get her debut (and be cast with Cornejo). 

Murphy had said she’d be back for the fall, but she wasn’t listed in the fall announcement. Maybe they’re doing a wait and see approach. If not the fall, I imagine next summer if not sooner (Nutcracker, tours, etc).

Thank you, ABT Fan, for this update. I too would love to see Lane in R&J. I also have my eye on Catherine Hurlin, hopefully for some big roles, and Aran Bell too, whom I have not seen. 

17 minutes ago, CTballetfan said:

Thank you, ABT Fan, for this update. I too would love to see Lane in R&J. I also have my eye on Catherine Hurlin, hopefully for some big roles, and Aran Bell too, whom I have not seen. 

Since Bell has already done Romeo, Siegried and Prince Desire, I suspect he’ll debut Solor and/or Albrecht next year. Bayadere he’d be paired with Teuscher I imagine. Hmm...for Giselle, could we see a double debut with Trenary? Or, would he be paired with Seo? Regarding Hurlin and the other female soloists, they have a lot of competition for lead parts (unlike Bell), especially assuming Murphy will be back by then. Watch the casting for the winter tours!

1 hour ago, ABT Fan said:

Since Bell has already done Romeo, Siegried and Prince Desire, I suspect he’ll debut Solor and/or Albrecht next year. Bayadere he’d be paired with Teuscher I imagine. Hmm...for Giselle, could we see a double debut with Trenary? Or, would he be paired with Seo? Regarding Hurlin and the other female soloists, they have a lot of competition for lead parts (unlike Bell), especially assuming Murphy will be back by then. Watch the casting for the winter tours!

I imagine Ahn will get a debut or two as well (and be cast in Bayadere again).

21 minutes ago, aurora said:

I imagine Ahn will get a debut or two as well (and be cast in Bayadere again).

He really stepped up to the plate this season.

Re: Murphy, she had a c-section delivery. Recovery is much longer than with a natural delvery. She may have to wait a bit longer to be back in the studio, so perhaps she'll wait until after Nutcracker to be back on the stage.

I, too, expect some debuts. Bell as Solor...wasn't the first variation he performed in first position one of Solor's variations? I'd totally go watch him. They could do side by side video of 11 year old vs 20 year old doing that variation. Excellent publicity if you ask me. They definitely need a new Solor considering they had to import one (albeit a great one) last time.

Good luck to Paulina Waski as she moves to Boston. I think her sister is out that way, so that'll be nice.

Just formally joined this forum, after following you all this past met season. Thank you so much for posting and educating me, as I am a relatively new ballet fan. My highlights of this season were definitely Sarah and Herman's Manon, their SB, Christine's Swan lake, Sarah's last minute black swan and both of Skylar's Corsaire's. By chance I saw that Sarah donated her Manon debut shoes to the dancer's emergency fund and I snatched them right up and had Sarah and Herman both sign them. Their joint debut was just one of the shows I'll never, ever forget. How I'd love to see them in R & I. Perhaps next season...alomg with a Giselle, and full length SL please. It's been discussed to death here (Sarah deserving her own SL) so I won't go into that too much. But suffice to say that she was brilliant, even better than her debut, which I got to see in 2017. Check out Haglund's Heel for some footage of Sarah's Black Swan.

1 hour ago, Lena C. said:

By chance I saw that Sarah donated her Manon debut shoes to the dancer's emergency fund and I snatched them right up and had Sarah and Herman both sign them. 

Wow - that is quite a treasure!