This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT 2019 Met Season

I once thought Gorak was going to be big. But I don't think the story is quite as simple as mere waste or neglect by ABT management. (And they've certainly been guilty of that in numerous cases, in my opinion.) There was some of that, I think, but there was also a lack of real growth on Gorak's part as an all-around artist. Over the years, I didn't see evidence that he was really working hard to develop in those areas where he needed it most (especially partnering and stage presence). He's a beautiful dancer (and those feet!), but it just didn't seem like he had the necessary drive or was putting in the necessary work. I can only base this judgment on what I saw onstage, though, so it's hard to be sure — and certainly the lack of sufficient support and investment from ABT management could itself have contributed to that lack of drive. A stagnating career can be a self-perpetuating phenomenon. But something important has been missing from his performances over the past 3 years or so, and I'm not convinced that his having been given too few opportunities is the sole cause of that.

10 minutes ago, nanushka said:

I once thought Gorak was going to be big. But I don't think the story is quite as simple as mere waste or neglect by ABT management. (And they've certainly been guilty of that in numerous cases, in my opinion.) There was some of that, I think, but there was also a lack of real growth on Gorak's part as an all-around artist. Over the years, I didn't see evidence that he was really working hard to develop in those areas where he needed it most (especially partnering and stage presence). He's a beautiful dancer (and those feet!), but it just didn't seem like he had the necessary drive or was putting in the necessary work. I can only base this judgment on what I saw onstage, though, so it's hard to be sure — and certainly the lack of sufficient support and investment from ABT management could itself have contributed to that lack of drive. A stagnating career can be a self-perpetuating phenomenon. But something important has been missing from his performances over the past 3 years or so, and I'm not convinced that his having been given too few opportunities is the sole cause of that.

I totally agree.

And, he HAS been given opportunities (Romeo, Nutcracker Prince, The Poet in Les Sylphides, Prince Desire - which he doing again this season - and others). Romeo he has never done again. And, last time they did Sleeping Beauty he wasn't cast as the Prince, but this year he is (out of necessity or has he improved since last time?). Last year his Bronze Idol was extraordinary, but that is a role that requires no partnering or acting and is very short. I always look forward to seeing him dance, but I agree that there appears to be a lack of growth.

2 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

I totally agree.

And, he HAS been given opportunities (Romeo, Nutcracker Prince, The Poet in Les Sylphides, Prince Desire - which he doing again this season - and others). Romeo he has never done again. And, last time they did Sleeping Beauty he wasn't cast as the Prince, but this year he is (out of necessity or has he improved since last time?). Last year his Bronze Idol was extraordinary, but that is a role that requires no partnering or acting and is very short. I always look forward to seeing him dance, but I agree that there appears to be a lack of growth.

I agree with ABT Fan and Nanushka.

Additionally he has done the Prince in Cinderella if I remember correctly.

His lack of progress seems largely due to not taking those opportunities when they were presented.

That said, he was eye catching as prince cocoa in Whipped Cream--dancing with more authority and vigor than I have seen him have in that role in the past.

Hopefully this bodes well for his future. He is not the only person to stagnate for some time at soloist level before getting their act together. Jared Matthews had a similar falling off for several years after he made soloist, but then looked for his last season or so a sure thing for promotion before decamping to Houston.  This was due not, I think, to his own lack of opportunities at ABT but the fact that he and his long term partner Yuriko Kajiya wanted to be somewhere where both were principals.

2 minutes ago, aurora said:

Additionally he has done the Prince in Cinderella if I remember correctly.

Yes, that's at least one of the times when he partnered Reyes. He got the role late, due to an injury and some reshuffling. He spoke to Gia Kourlas about it in Time Out:

How did you find out about Cinderella
Oh my gosh. That was a dream too. That was really exciting, because I wasn’t cast. I had two weeks before the shows to learn it. Cory Stearns got injured, so James Whiteside had to go in for him, which meant that Xiomara Reyes needed a partner. The two women setting Cinderellawanted me. It was Saturday night, and I got the call from Kevin McKenzie. He said, “We’re going to send you the video. Could you learn the ballet?” I learned it on Sunday in my tiny apartment. 

A few quick comments (there is a separate thread on In the Upper Room)

• Cornejo was out with an injury. No word on his return.
  • Deuce Coupe: I had never seen this before. It seemed like something out of a time capsule with the 60s music and dated costumes. I wondered how 20-somethings respond to this. The recorded sound was hideous -- they need to work on volume and get rid of the relentless raspiness/feedback/whatever that was so annoying for most of this. Whiteside has a speeded-up bit that brought the house down. The dancers seemed to loved doing this.
  • Brahms-Haydn: This is a nice demonstration of Tharp's versatility in working in the classical vocabulary and showed off the dancers. Not one of her most memorable works, but worth seeing.
Edited by California

Too bad about Gonzalez, I was looking forward to seeing him as Lankendem; I also hope it's not serious. He was replaced last minute in Deuce Coupe on Friday (an announcement was made).

I'm glad I'll get to see Hoven though, and Bell who replaced Hoven in the Sat eve. (They're both looking better than ever this season.)

I'm cautiously optimistic regarding Cornejo, for Corsaire and his subsequent assignments....🤞

I was just browsing the ABT calendar for this season, looking for another ballet to attend in addition to the Lane/Cornejo performance of Manon, for which I have a ticket. Checking seats available for the remaining ballets, I conclude that most performances, with minor exceptions, have many orchestra seats left to fill. But then I came upon Misty Copeland’s performances of Swan Lake and two of them are completely sold out at all levels of the theater! All that’s left are partial view seats. Is this because of her tremendous following, or bulk purchases, or some combination of the two? I was feeling sorry for ABT management at the so-far lackluster sales until I came upon this phenomenon.     

27 minutes ago, CTballetfan said:

I was just browsing the ABT calendar for this season, looking for another ballet to attend in addition to the Lane/Cornejo performance of Manon, for which I have a ticket. Checking seats available for the remaining ballets, I conclude that most performances, with minor exceptions, have many orchestra seats left to fill. But then I came upon Misty Copeland’s performances of Swan Lake and two of them are completely sold out at all levels of the theater! All that’s left are partial view seats. Is this because of her tremendous following, or bulk purchases, or some combination of the two? I was feeling sorry for ABT management at the so-far lackluster sales until I came upon this phenomenon.     

It's also the only Swan Lake that Hallberg is dancing—and he is only performing three times this season. That performance has been quite well sold since single tickets went on sale. (I purchased a bunch of single tickets in addition to my subscription before they were released to the public, and was surprised to find how far back in the orchestra my seats were for this particular performance, despite ordering early and being an ABT member.)

Edited by vendangeuse
2 minutes ago, vendangeuse said:

It's also the only Swan Lake that Hallberg is dancing—and he is only performing three times this season. That performance has been quite well sold since single tickets went on sale. (I purchased a bunch of single tickets in addition to my subscription before they were released to the public, and was surprised to find how far back in the orchestra my seats were for this particular performance, despite ordering early and being an ABT member.)

Her other SL w/ Cornejo on 6/26 is also virtually sold out, except for few remaining seats in Family Circle and some of the partial view seats.

30 minutes ago, abatt said:

I think Misty put a warning somewhere on her social media that Manon may not be appropriate for kids to attend.  That is an admirable warning.

Yes I remember watching Manon with a mom and little girl (maybe 6 or 7?) who were big fans of Diana and Marcelo. The mom in some scenes was like "Uh, honey, this is ... adult stuff." 

5 hours ago, ABT Fan said:

Her other SL w/ Cornejo on 6/26 is also virtually sold out, except for few remaining seats in Family Circle and some of the partial view seats.

...who is also (if this board is any indication) one of the few male principals that can reliably draw certain audiences to the theater. (I also have tickets for Cornejo/Copeland; I really hope he will be back by then.)

I’m sure the fact that it’s SL has quite a lot to do with it, and Copeland’s star power is undeniably a big draw for some audiences. These performances would sell well on those merits alone. But I also think Cornejo and Hallberg draw bigger crowds than say, Stearns, who seems to be partnered with Copeland a lot this season. 

Gonzalez has an Instagram story (public facing) showing him in costume and ballet slippers for Jane Eyre last night. Maybe it's a part that has very little dancing (and/or little or no partnering)? If anyone was there and and can comment, (and on the ballet itself, in the Jane Eyre thread...). At least he's not dealing with something serious, it seems.

8 minutes ago, NinaFan said:

ABT's site has been updated and now shows Cornejo replaced in both Corsaires.  Mack replaces him as Conrad on Tuesday night, and Whiteside replaces him on Saturday matinee.

Crap. But, I (and I'm sure others) had a feeling that would happen.

Who is going to replace him in Manon? That is only next week, so that may be inevitable.....darn.

Just now, ABT Fan said:

Crap. But, I (and I'm sure others) had a feeling that would happen.

Who is going to replace him in Manon? That is only next week, so that may be inevitable.....darn.

They are still showing him in Manon, so maybe he'll be well enough to dance by then?

3 minutes ago, NinaFan said:

They are still showing him in Manon, so maybe he'll be well enough to dance by then?

Hopefully, but since there are only 3 days between what was supposed to be his last Corsaire and his first Manon, I'm wondering out loud. This is his Des Grieux debut, too. Really hope he is well enough by next week.

Edited by ABT Fan

After seeing the devoid-of-ballet Jane Eyre last night, I'm feeling a little scarred. I had planned on seeing Manon for the first time next week, but now I feel the need to confirm--is there enough dancing in it? (All I've seen of it is the bedroom pas de deux, pretzel-like partnering I consider "ballet-lite" or "in the style of ballet.") How much meaty classical dancing is in this ballet?

2 minutes ago, mille-feuille said:

After seeing the devoid-of-ballet Jane Eyre last night, I'm feeling a little scarred. I had planned on seeing Manon for the first time next week, but now I feel the need to confirm--is there enough dancing in it? (All I've seen of it is the bedroom pas de deux, pretzel-like partnering I consider "ballet-lite" or "in the style of ballet.") How much meaty classical dancing is in this ballet?

Personally I don't much like the ballet so I haven't gone in years. But in terms of style it is similar to Romeo & Juliet (just not as good in terms of plot and with more "adult" content)

24 minutes ago, mille-feuille said:

IMO, this is a gorgeous ballet, with lots of great dancing.  I've seen MacMillan's Manon many times with The Royal Ballet and ABT and have never been able to get enough of it.  But like any ballet, it is important to get a good cast as that can make or break a performance.  It's is a very dramatic ballet with a bit of comedy as well.   The story line is completely different than Romeo and Juliet, however there are some gorgeous lifts reminiscent of MacMillan's lifts in Romeo and Juliet which fit and add to the drama.    The final scene leaves me thoroughly drained.  Don't miss it. 

I agree it's worth seeing. There are a good number of highlight sequences. None are quite so great as the R&J balcony scene, for instance, but I find that Manon doesn't have as many portions that drag quite so much. In other words, R&J has higher highs but also lower lows. Definitely don't go in expecting classical ballet — but it is recognizably ballet, which it sounds like Jane Eyre really isn't quite so much.

Edited by nanushka