This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT 2015 Met season

Not happening. Kochetkova is now listed for the gala Giselle assignment, replacing Semionova. Abrera still listed in the the Myrta role for the gala.

Makes total sense to have a non-ABT dancer perform in ABT's 75th Anniversary Gala.

Well, maybe only if you're Kevin McKenzie.

For all the Stella fans out there, since ticket sales seem to play a role in how McKenzie decides casting, please spread the word to any ballet fans to purchase tickets to Stella's Giselle.

Alas, it looked like the Saturday evening performance had already sold well -- slim pickings in remaining seats. I have no idea why -- Saturday night? Semionova? Shklyarov? So even if it sells out, will Stella get the credit? But we can hope that the ecstatic fans and good reviews will help convince management she deserved this. I wonder if the Russian audience that expected to see Semionova will be upset at the substitution.

Not happening. Kochetkova is now listed for the gala Giselle assignment, replacing Semionova. Abrera still listed in the the Myrta role for the gala.

So when will they enlighten us about the remainder of Semionova's assignments this season?

That's 2 Nikiyas, 2 O/Os and one Juliet. Maybe Gillian will get to dance Nikiya at the Met this year? I loved her interpretation in Sydney and was baffled that ABT was casting her only as Gamzatti.

Maybe O/O for Stella and Sarah? I wonder either of them have rehearsed (or performed) O/O in SL with other troupes?

Alas, it looked like the Saturday evening performance had already sold well -- slim pickings in remaining seats. I have no idea why -- Saturday night? Semionova? Shklyarov? So even if it sells out, will Stella get the credit? But we can hope that the ecstatic fans and good reviews will help convince management she deserved this. I wonder if the Russian audience that expected to see Semionova will be upset at the substitution.

They probably won't be happy that Semionova dropped out. But they still have Shklyarov.

They probably won't be happy that Semionova dropped out. But they still have Shklyarov.

And Part. Everyone seems to forget that she's Russian too! I often think a truly Russian-sounding name would have made a huge difference for her career at ABT.

That's 2 Nikiyas, 2 O/Os and one Juliet. Maybe Gillian will get to dance Nikiya at the Met this year? I loved her interpretation in Sydney and was baffled that ABT was casting her only as Gamzatti.

Maybe O/O for Stella and Sarah? I wonder either of them have rehearsed (or performed) O/O in SL with other troupes?

I can't imagine Lane would get O/O but maybe Juliet if Semionove is still out. Lane said in an interview that she learned it on tour but never got to perform it.

Kochetkova brought in for Giselle? People have stopped wondering about Julie Kent's cancellations. Could MK do her Giselle with Bolle on 5/25? Has she done Giselle with ABT?

PNB's 50% off tickets -- aside from student and senior rush -- tend to be sold on Goldstar. The four people I know who've used Goldstar have been happy with their tickets.

Seattle Opera had a great offer: if a subscriber bought tickets to another performance, they could get one at the standard subscriber discount (10%) or two for the price of one. A variation I've seen on the "bring a friend" offer is one at the subscriber discount and other(s) at 50% off.

Speight Jenkins always said that ticket sales for Seattle Opera were dependent on word-of-mouth -- their runs are spread over 15 days instead of PNB's 10 -- and he always encouraged people to spread the word at his post-performance Q&A's. Occasionally Peter Boal does the same, as word-of-mouth is critical to second weekend sales, and often discounts generally are available weekend one and only on weaker-selling weekend two days (usually Thursday and sometimes Friday) and the occasional non-subscription performances.

I don't know how many subscribers would scalp their tickets, but I suspect plenty would buy two discounted tickets and give them to non-subscribers. I read a report of a survey that said that many first-time ticket buyers (aside from Nutcracker) went on the recommendation of someone they know, and it's hard to imagine that this isn't a win-win situation for the company, with the price of testing the waters much lower than deciding to pay at least $150 for two tickets.

I don't see why it should be a problem for ABT if those tickets were scalped: if they have a bunch of empty seats, especially for mixed rep, that's incremental revenue and audience. No one's saying to do this for Vishneva's "Beauty" or Osipova's "Don Q."

Well at least Bolle wouldn't have any worries about lifting Maria Kochetkova. They would look a little silly together. Apart from their vast differences in size, he might look more like her dad than her love interest. But I guess if you have a dad that looks like Roberto, life can't be too bad...

Oh my god! I'm getting tickets right NOW! I'm so excited! I don't even care that I'm going to be DEAD at work the next day.

Oh crap, I just realized it's a Saturday night, and I don't have to be at work the next day. This is absolutely amazing!

Sarah Lane performed O/O with Angel Corella at Barcelona Ballet a few years ago. I would love, love, love to see her as Juliet.

I still can't believe this is finally happening. Stella finally getting to dance Giselle in NYC on a Saturday night, no less! No Wednesday or Saturday matinee! I might actually stop ignoring all of those ABT calls and renew my membership now.