This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT 2015 Met season

Official release:

POLINA SEMIONOVA TO WITHDRAW FROM PERFORMANCES WITH

AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE AT METROPOLITAN OPERA HOUSE

Due to injury, Principal Dancer Polina Semionova will withdraw from her remaining performances with American Ballet Theatre at the Metropolitan Opera House. It was announced today by Artistic Director Kevin McKenzie. Semionova was scheduled for seven additional performances during the Company’s 2015 Spring season.

Guest Artist Maria Kochetkova will replace Semionova in an excerpt from

Act II of Giselle in this evening’s 75th Anniversary Gala performance. Soloist Stella Abrera will replace Semionova in the title role of Giselle on Saturday evening, May 23. Principal Dancer Hee Seo will replace Semionova as Nikiya in La Bayadère on Monday evening, June 1 and at the matinee on Saturday, June 6, and as Juliet on Monday evening, June 15. Seo will also replace Semionova as Odette/Odile on Monday evening, June 15 and Saturday evening, June 27.

Tickets for American Ballet Theatre’s 2015 Metropolitan Opera House season, beginning at $20, are available online, at the Met box office or by phone at 212-362-6000. The Metropolitan Opera House is located on Broadway between 64th and 65th streets in New York City. For more information, visit ABT’s website at www.abt.org.

Official release:

Principal Dancer Hee Seo will replace Semionova as Nikiya in La Bayadère on Monday evening, June 1 and at the matinee on Saturday, June 6, and as Juliet on Monday evening, June 15. Seo will also replace Semionova as Odette/Odile on Monday evening, June 15 and Saturday evening, June 27.

Well, looking on the bright side, Hee Seo can certainly use the practice, but I wish there were more variety in the substitutions.

Well, looking on the bright side, Hee Seo can certainly use the practice.

Not even one Swan Lake for Lane? That is just petty. The very definition of the word. But then again, I'm not surprised. Lane would make all the rest of them look like turkeys.

Well, looking on the bright side, Hee Seo can certainly use the practice, but I wish there were more variety in the substitutions.

This would have been a great opportunity for KM to offer opportunities to some dancers, not more and more Hee Seo.

LOL!!

Actually, this is quite disgusting. ABT's weakest principal will now get 3 Nikiyas, 2 Juliets and 3 O/Os? Mckenzie shows no respect for his artists or his audience

LOL!!

Actually, this is quite disgusting. ABT's weakest principal will now get 3 Nikiyas, 2 Juliets and 3 O/Os? Mckenzie shows no respect for his artists or his audience

I also wonder if her body can handle all of this extra workload. Why would he risk injuring her from all of these additional shows? Spread the love!

LOL!!

The last thing ABT should do is P off their Russian contingent. Since they count on them for their box office. They will NOT be happy with Seo.

That Bayadère matinee should be very exciting for local Koreans. But yes, it is a lot of Swan Lakes, with only one day rest in between each, plus a Cinderella the following Monday. And will she really dance Juliet two days in a row with two different partners? It's asking a lot.

Does McKenzie think that forcing Hee Seo on the public repeatedly is going to increase box office. My future plan for next season is to buy fewer tickets in advance, since nothing really sells out at ABT anyway.

Does McKenzie think that forcing Hee Seo on the public repeatedly is going to increase box office. My future plan for next season is to buy fewer tickets in advance, since nothing really sells out at ABT anyway.

It would have been interesting if he tried to push Misty Copeland on the Russians. LOL. I think I would almost pay to see the fur fly on that one.

According to the mass email that Amtrak sent to customers whose emails are on file:

Effective with departures from Philadelphia at 5:53 a.m. (Train 110) and New York City at 5:30 a.m. (Train 111) on Monday, May 18, Amtrak will restore normal service on the Northeast Corridor.

Perhaps Macmillan believes that the exposure the barely identified Hee Seo got in the Ric Burns documentary will translate into box office.

That Bayadère matinee should be very exciting for local Koreans. But yes, it is a lot of Swan Lakes, with only one day rest in between each, plus a Cinderella the following Monday. And will she really dance Juliet two days in a row with two different partners? It's asking a lot.

So she's going to dance Tuesday O/O, Thursday O/O, Saturday O/O, Monday Cinderella, Wednesday Cinderella. Why on earth would they decide it's best to have a single dancer do all that? What is the urgency here? Even if you don't want to give an opportunity to a dancer who's not already doing the role (e.g. Sarah's O/O), why not have some of the other current regulars (e.g. Part, Murphy) fill in for a few of the performances?

I think McKenzie objects to Lane. Since she is so tiny, I can't imagine anyone objecting to partnering Lane. However, I bet Bolle and Gomes will not dance with Part (in SL) because she is too big. Part could have easily picked up a SL and a Bayadere. Wonder if Kimin Kim also refused a Part hook up because she is so tall.

I wonder if Vishneva was offered any of these assignments and turned them down.

Why, why would he not at least give Murphy the opening night R&J. She has danced that ballet with Cory before.

Stay tuned for the next installment of the soap opera As ABT Turns.

I bet Bolle and Gomes will not dance with Part (in SL) because she is too big.

We've gotten indications of this from Bolle before, but in the case of Gomes this would be a new development. (And it would be sad, because theirs was such a fantastic partnership!)

So far there hasn't been any official news of anyone refusing a part or partnership this season except Herrera, who turned down the reconstructed "Sleeping Beauty" as her retirement performance:

Herrera was to retire from ABT on June 9 at the Metropolitan Opera House, as Princess Aurora in Alexei Ratmansky’s new production of “The Sleeping Beauty.” But she has pulled out of that show, she announces with a wide smile that suggests relief.

“It wasn’t my choice to retire with ‘Sleeping Beauty,’ ” she says, in the lyrical rhythms of a light Argentine accent. “I don’t feel comfortable with it. . . . I wanted to do something that I’ve done a lot with ABT.

“I’ve been here for 24 years and it’s been my life, and I really wanted to retire with something that meant something special to me,” she continues. “It was not very nice that I didn’t have a choice. It was like, ‘You have to retire in this production.’ ”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/theater_dance/these-star-ballerinas-are-retiring--graceful-and-grateful-to-the-last-dance/2015/03/20/62f0ef6a-cf24-11e4-a2a7-9517a3a70506_story.html

I guess we are quite lucky that McKenzie decided to give Stella the one Giselle. We are lucky that he didn't stick Hee Seo into that Giselle, too.

I'm wondering how that happened as well. Maybe McKenzie wasn't wearing his glasses that day and mistook the two of them.

Whatever the case, someone was on Abrera's side and I'm glad. She is one of the best dancers in the company and she deserved that part.

Gomes has not partnered Part in SL for quite a number of years. I think that's intentional, not a coincidence.

It wasn't very long ago that Gomes stepped in for an injured Stearns to partner her, though I can't recall exactly when or whether it was SL or perhaps Bayadere. Anyone recall? Maybe it was 2 years ago?