This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Nutcracker 2022

58 minutes ago, cobweb said:

If anyone sees tonight’s performance, I would be interested to hear how Gilbert Bolden does in his Cavalier debut. 

Planning to be there tonight and will report back!  Looks like there was a relatively last-minute sub of Phelan for Mearns, so fingers crossed that all the tricky partnering goes off without a hitch. 

Edited by tutu
5 hours ago, cobweb said:

If anyone sees tonight’s performance, I would be interested to hear how Gilbert Bolden does in his Cavalier debut. 

Reporting that this was a really nice debut for Bolden!  Didn’t notice any bobbles in the pas, and a seriously gorgeous series of coupe-jetes in the coda.  And perfect demeanor for the role, as Bolden seemed the picture of devotion to Phelan as his SPF, in a way that was almost reminiscent of Jock Soto back in the day.  All in all, Bolden was a steady and noble Cavalier.

Killer cast all round:  Roman Meijia as Candy Cane, Emma Von Enck as Marzipan (if you’ve seen the latest Anatomy of a Dance video featuring her Marzipan — which was nothing to sneeze at — she’s much better live), Tiler Peck sailing through Dewdrop.  I’ll be keeping an eye out for David Gabriel after his excellent Tea, with jumps and lines that hinted at a future danseur noble.

And it was so, so great to have the little ones back this year.  The energy (and bit of chaos) that they bring to the Parlor Scene, Angels, the Battle Scene just can’t be beat.  

I was there for Bolden's debut as well. I thought it was great!

Gerrity was like a chameleon, in the best way, as coffee. She brought a wonderful mysteriousness to the role. David Gabriel's jumps were wonderful in tea.

Roman Mejia burst out of the wings at the start of Candy Canes—his elevation felt about 50% higher than I expected. He made Candy Canes so much more exciting than I've seen it in awhile. I wish I could see him as Cavalier again this year but the ticket prices are just so expensive (and I already have a ticket for Mira Nadon's Sugar debut 🙈).

Tiler Peck was radiant, as always, in Dew. The way she does that combination of fouettés and attitude turns makes my heart soar, and the energy she projects is just pure joy.

I thought Bolden's Cavalier was pretty much the full package. His partnering looked secure, and his demeanor when interacting with Phelan was attentive and gentle. His solos were strong, especially the series of coupés jetés that @tutu mentioned. I also just love his smile and energy on stage. I was smiling from ear to ear during their Pas.

All in all, Saturday night was a lovely performance. Looking forward to (also kind of dreading 😭) reports of Sterling's retirement. 

6 minutes ago, abatt said:

No reports or videos of Hyltin's farewell?

I'm eagerly awaiting reports. Sara Mearns posted front of curtain bows on her IG feed.

It's been touching and lovely to see so many tributes to Hyltin, from her colleagues, on social media. I hope her final performance was everything she hoped for. I'll miss seeing her on stage. 

Sterling had a lovely sendoff; she has to be happy with it. She and Veyette danced beautifully (with a few very minor quibbles on his end) to a raucous approving audience. Like Amar Ramasar before her, her first move was to head off the lip of the stage to greet Peter Martins with an affectionate hug and a bouquet of flowers. After that a whole army of dancers and well-wishers poured onstage to honor her. I was seated in a partial view seat way way house left, so it was hard to see the faces of everyone who came; canbelto's video probably has a better view. Conductor Andrew Litton came, also I believe Clotilde Otranto (?) in a glamorous sequined dress and several musicians; I don't remember previously seeing so many musicians making an appearance at a dancer's retirement, or did I just not notice? Unsure. Hyltin has been dancing beautifully and will be missed. 

This was my second, and probably final, Nut of the season. I will try to post a few comments about the rest of the performance tomorrow. 

Edited by cobweb
wrong conductor
On 12/3/2022 at 11:27 PM, cobweb said:

Thank you for this report, @tutu! Glad to hear Bolden did well. I'm sure management is hoping this big guy, with a big presence, is ready for bigger things. I'm hoping too!

I love Gilbert Bolden! What an unquenchable spirit! And so handsome in his Cavalier costume!

9 hours ago, canbelto said:

I was there. I wrote up an appreciation of her:

https://humbledandoverwhelmed.blogspot.com/2022/12/farewell-sterling.html

Videos of her curtain calls:

Thanks so much for this lovely video. What a treat to be able to see this. I wonder if a certain aging principal noticed what it's like to retire at the top of your game, surrounded by colleagues who love you. Was she there?

It was a brilliant choice for Sterling to go out with Sugarplum - a role that perfectly suits her sweetness, delicacy, and precision. 

A few other thoughts about the performance. I liked this cast of child leads better than the other cast that I saw. Titus Landegger especially, as the Nutcracker prince, has a face that caught the light and projected beautifully out into the house, and he danced with elegance and a confident command of the stage. In both performances I saw this year, Victor Abreu did Hot Chocolate. He brings tremendous energy to everything and really draws your attention. He's not the most elegant guy in the world, and if he could improve his line he would really be charismatic. Also in both performances Harrison Coll did Candy Cane, and boy was he tremendous!!! Olivia MacKinnon didn't look very joyful leading Marzipan; I wish she could lighten up in her facial expression. 

Looking forward to the final weeks of casting. Hard to believe Isabella LaFreniere, Miriam Miller, and Emily Kikta have never done Sugarplum before; surely they will be cast. 

1 hour ago, California said:

Thanks so much for this lovely video. What a treat to be able to see this. I wonder if a certain aging principal noticed what it's like to retire at the top of your game, surrounded by colleagues who love you. Was she there?

Probably not, considering she once had a one-sided issue with Sterling a few years ago. 

Thank you, canbelto, for your lovely article about Sterling Hyltin. I have treasured her the same as you. Her epaulement is absolutely beautiful. Hyltin's arms float; I don't think anyone in NYCB has arms as beautifully graceful as hers. Her musicality and artistry is superb. 

I'm so sorry I couldn't be there for her last performance. Way back last spring, I had scheduled a month with my daughter's family in North North Carolina to babysit my grandson. I wish it had been taped.

Thank you so much for posting the farewell to Hyltin. I cried through it all. Who is the woman that she bowed down on her knee to?

Hyltin has been such a treasure for this company. Her gorgeous dancing, her professionalism no matter what her disappointments are, her graciousness, her warmth and sunnyness place her as the perfect mentor to young dancers.

As to her future, any company, within and without the ballet world, would be thrilled to have her in their midst. 

16 minutes ago, sarasr said:

Probably not, considering she once had a one-sided issue with Sterling a few years ago. 

I don't understand why this happens in ballet?  Seems to be a common theme of not showing up for retirements if you're not bff's with the dancer.  How about just showing respect for their art whether or not your friends.  

Thanks for posting the video, canbelto.   

I have to admit that I thought Hyltin was promoted too early to principal.  However, she grew into her roles and after a few years I grew to like her performances very much.  

Interesting how Amar Ramasar has unleashed a freedom in other dancers to invite Peter Martins to be in the audience for their farewells.  

4 minutes ago, Balletwannabe said:

I don't understand why this happens in ballet?  Seems to be a common theme of not showing up for retirements if you're not bff's with the dancer.  How about just showing respect for their art whether or not your friends.  

I agree, but either way I was relieved, this is Sterling's night and she deserves to have the focus on her and only on her. 

21 minutes ago, vagansmom said:

Hyltin has been such a treasure for this company. Her gorgeous dancing, her professionalism no matter what her disappointments are, her graciousness, her warmth and sunnyness place her as the perfect mentor to young dancers.

As to her future, any company, within and without the ballet world, would be thrilled to have her in their midst. 

Has Hyltin stated what’s next for her?  

3 hours ago, cobweb said:

Looking forward to the final weeks of casting. Hard to believe Isabella LaFreniere, Miriam Miller, and Emily Kikta have never done Sugarplum before; surely they will be cast. 

Just checked this week's casting and Kikta will debut Sugarplum Saturday evening (replacing Sara Mearns)!  

11 hours ago, cobweb said:

Conductor Daniel Capps came, also I believe Clotilde Otranto (?) in a glamorous sequined dress and several musicians; I don't remember previously seeing so many musicians making an appearance at a dancer's retirement, or did I just not notice?

Yes, that was Clotilde in the fabulous purple sequined dress! Like you, I was struck by the number of musicians who came out to pay their respects and don't remember that from other send-offs I've been in the audience for.

What a perfect, perfect goodbye for Sterling! It's always been delightful to witness the particular joy and lightness she brings to the stage and that was radiantly in evidence yesterday. In her first solo her interactions with the children were so tender while still being regal. And her pas de deux with Andy had so much emotion, from both of them, it was beautiful to see. Her final manège into the wings was breathtaking, she went absolutely full out and her speed and precision made it abundantly clear she's going out on top. I loved seeing her exultant, megawatt smile after her last unsupported balance, it was a real "nailed it!" moment. It felt quite poignant that her last moments on stage were enacting a literal goodbye, sending Marie and the Prince off in the sleigh as we collectively bid farewell to her NYCB stage career. It felt like a symbolic passing of the baton to the next generation, what with her plans to expand her teaching career and her gracious desire to retire so as to make space for younger dancers to move up in the company (as she described in her recent NYT interview).

I sat in the first ring and it was sweet to see maybe 15 company members lined up against the back wall for the second act to watch Sterling's farewell and applaud her from the audience. Robbie Fairchild came back to give her flowers, which was also lovely to see. 

Thoughts on the rest of the performance:

Like @cobweb, I was particularly impressed by Titus Landegger as the Prince. So elegant, particularly in how he used his hands and arms, and real stage presence. There's that gesture that repeats a few times throughout the first act where Marie and the Prince shake hands slowly, and I've seen too many casts do it in a way that over-exaggerates the gesture and makes it look awkward rather than poignant. Titus and Caroline O'Hagan made it into a real moment of slowly dawning recognition, mutual fascination, and connection every time. 

It was a treat to see Sean Suozzi reappear guesting as Drosselmeier, he was excellent. Cainan Weber stood out in the first act as I dare I say militaristically polished Solider. In the second act, Indiana Woodward gave one of the best performances I've ever seen from her as Dewdrop. Just gorgeous. It was a nice reminder that even as principals I've loved since I first started seeing City Ballet, like Sterling, are retiring, the next generation of principals are very much coming into their own.