This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Nutcracker 2022

2 hours ago, vagansmom said:

Her gorgeous dancing, her professionalism no matter what her disappointments are, her graciousness, her warmth and sunnyness place her as the perfect mentor to young dancers.

This is something I love about ballet - gorgeous dancing and professionalism no matter what else is going on in your life. You may have a cold, be frustrated at your casting and jealous of others, have just gotten news that a loved one is ill, or have to dance alongside an ex and his/her new paramour -- no matter, you have to show up and dance beautifully no matter what. I admire that a lot. 

1 hour ago, MarzipanShepherdess said:

Cainan Weber stood out in the first act as I dare I say militaristically polished Solider.

Agree! He was militaristic and impressively "wooden," suiting the character, of course! Cainan Weber continues to make a great impression. 

2 hours ago, Jacqueline said:

Just checked this week's casting and Kikta will debut Sugarplum Saturday evening (replacing Sara Mearns)!  

That cast change sounded very appealing, until I checked the casting sheet and realized that LeCrone is Dewdrop.

15 hours ago, canbelto said:

I was there. I wrote up an appreciation of her:

https://humbledandoverwhelmed.blogspot.com/2022/12/farewell-sterling.html

You wrote, "I just kept thinking how incredibly blessed I was that I got to follow her career for so many years."

I agree. Sometimes when a dancer announces a retirement, I feel sorry that I hadn't seen them as much as I could have over the years. Sometimes, people praise a particular dancer for years, but it takes a while for me to see what others have seen; the dancer has to grow on me. Other times, I'm sorry they weren't cast to my liking over the years.

Not the case here. It didn't take me long to love Sterling's dancing and I feel very grateful to have appreciated her talents before it was too late. She was very much in her element yesterday and I'm glad she's retired on her own terms.

11 hours ago, abatt said:

Interesting how Amar Ramasar has unleashed a freedom in other dancers to invite Peter Martins to be in the audience for their farewells.  

Yes, I was wondering how many more of them might do this. Maybe not too many. Also, note that Sterling didn’t just invite him and climb off the stage to greet him, she honored him with a bouquet of flowers. Obviously very thankful. 

9 minutes ago, cobweb said:

Yes, I was wondering how many more of them might do this. Maybe not too many. Also, note that Sterling didn’t just invite him and climb off the stage to greet him, she honored him with a bouquet of flowers. Obviously very thankful. 

Sterling and Megan Fairchild are dancers who speak fondly of Martins. Kathryn Morgan in interviews has said he was nothing but supportive of her during her struggles. I do not want to re-open the whole Peter Martins debate; it's complicated and always has been. Personally, I'm glad that, Martins as a 76 year old man, is able to receive public acknowledgement from dancers who are grateful to him.

I loved this symposium on Balanchine's Nutcracker. Alistair Macaulay moderates, Suki Schorer, Indiana Woodward and Unity Phelan talk and show excerpts from Nutcracker with a focus on SPF and Dewdrop. It starts about 3 min in. The dancing is JUST GLORIOUS!! Macaulay is his usual self.

Edited by BalanchineFan
1 hour ago, abatt said:

Sara Adams appeared on The View today and danced Marzipan variation  with 4  ladies from the corps.  It was a very brief appearance, which focused primarily on the sponsor, Pandora, and their lab created diamond jewelry.

Thank you for naming the soloist,  because,  as per usual,  The View didn't.  NYCB should make identifying its dancers by name a requirement for their appearance on television to shill for Pandora.  They didn't even give that basic respect to Megan Fairchild when she appeared a few weeks ago.

The good news is that the dancers looked beautiful and danced well on the studio floor,  which was probably concrete.

8 hours ago, BalanchineFan said:

I loved this symposium on Balanchine's Nutcracker. Alistair MacCauley moderates, Suki Schorer, Indiana Woodward and Unity Phelan talk and show excerpts from Nutcracker with a focus on SPF and Dewdrop. It starts about 3 min in. The dancing is JUST GLORIOUS!!

Thanks BalanchineFan. I'd forgotten this was happening. It was delightful. I could have watched for another hour!. Suki Schorer is irresistible and the dancers lovely both in their dancing and as people.

Week 5 of casting is up. I don't see any debuts there. So far, of the new soloists, Nadon, von Enck, and Kikta are debuting Sugarplum. If this is any indicator of who's in line for principal, no complaints about that! (although I LOVE La Freniere too...). Weeks 3 and 4 have been updated also with some casting shuffling. Looks like Megan LeCrone and Tyler Angle are out. 

I’ve been wondering about Megan lecrone lately.  Is it it me or she doesn’t seem to be cast much under Stafford/Whelan? I remember listening to her conversations on dance podcast, and she identified very strongly as a Peter martins dancer - more so than Balanchine.

5 hours ago, GB1216 said:

I’ve been wondering about Megan lecrone lately.  Is it it me or she doesn’t seem to be cast much under Stafford/Whelan? I remember listening to her conversations on dance podcast, and she identified very strongly as a Peter martins dancer - more so than Balanchine.

Seems like LeCrone, Pereira and particularly Pazcoguin haven't been cast much in Nutcracker this year. Although Pereira did get a a few SPF's. And when was the last time Brittany Pollock performed? Pollack, Pazcoguin and LeCrone became soloists in 2013, Pereira in 2009. None of them are on principal track (so it seems to me). I have to wonder how much longer they'll be there. Also, from looking at Nutcracker casting it seems Olivia MacKinnon is being given a lot of opportunities, as a corps member. I haven't seen her in Nutcracker, any have impressions of her? I feel like management might be testing her.

Edited by vipa
13 minutes ago, vipa said:

Also, from looking at Nutcracker casting it seems Olivia MacKinnon is being given a lot of opportunities, as a corp member. I haven't seen her in Nutcracker, any have impressions of her? I feel like management might be testing her.

I saw her in Marzipan on Sunday and found her facial expression distracting; she looked worried and effortful. This has often been the case with her. Management must see something in her because she has gotten lots of opportunities, but I wish she could project more joyfulness or just good cheer. 

I think you are right, Cobweb, that the company sees something in her.  And when she was featured on Megan Fairchild's "Conversations with Megan" (which I loved) during the pandemic, Megan said to her "I think it is going to happen for you."  Link below because I can't re-listen to the whole thing right now to support this (moderators, please delete if I'm inappropriate.). But, there are many other corps members that seem to be ripe for promotion, including Alexa Maxwell.  And India Bradley, Christina Clark, Mimi Staker and I am sure I am leaving some out!

12 hours ago, vipa said:

Seems like LeCrone, Pereira and particularly Pazcoguin haven't been cast much in Nutcracker this year. Although Pereira did get a a few SPF's. And when was the last time Brittany Pollock performed? Pollack, Pazcoguin and LeCrone became soloists in 2013, Pereira in 2009. None of them are on principal track (so it seems to me). I have to wonder how much longer they'll be there. Also, from looking at Nutcracker casting it seems Olivia MacKinnon is being given a lot of opportunities, as a corps member. I haven't seen her in Nutcracker, any have impressions of her? I feel like management might be testing her.

I think Brittany Pollack is/was out on maternity leave?  -- SORRY just checked her insta, https://www.instagram.com/p/Cl1jIJogJws/?hl=en 

She has achilles tendinitis.

10 hours ago, abatt said:

Mearns has not danced in Nutcracker in a long time. She withdrew last season due to stress and mental health issues.  This season she has been replaced.  

She's been pretty quiet on Insta too. Also, Emilie Gerrity has Covid (per insta stories) so is out of her shows this week, Tiler Peck danced with Chan last night. 

Sorry, just checked the instagram: Brittany Pollack has achilles tendinitis:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cl1jIJogJws/?hl=en

Edited by bellawood
incorrect information

Thanks for the update on the matinee, @wonders! I’m heading out of town for the holidays and sitting at JFK as my flight is delayed… couldn’t help but think well, if it’s cancelled I can always get the first flight tomorrow and make it to see Kikta tonight…