This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Nutcracker 2022

1 hour ago, cobweb said:

.. and since we're dreaming about casting, I know this will never happen, but Ashley Laracey in 2nd movement, Symphony in C.

If we're talking about upcoming casting, Sleeping Beauty is the big one and I hope Laracey does Lilac. I'm wondering about Donizetti Variations. It was a big Bouder role, so I wonder what will happen there. Woodward seems a natural and maybe Emma Von Enck. On IG Unity Phelan posted a rehearsal of herself doing the principal role in Walpurgisnacht, so she'll be one cast. That was a big Mearns role, and she was wonderful in it. Hope she's in the mix for winter casting. 

Went to my last Nutcracker last night. I don't usually go after Christmas, so this felt a little different but still wonderful. The cast was strong and it was a very good performance. It was a pleasure to see Villarini-Velez and Ulbricht again in Tea & Candy Canes, and Miriam Miller was a beautiful Coffee.

The one bit of casting that gave me pause was Pazcoguin as Dewdrop. And true - she won't go down as one of my favorites - she didn't have the speed to really play with the music or the clarity in her footwork that I've come to expect (Bouder & Peck have always been my favorites). She almost came to grief with a series of pirouettes but then did a beautiful multiple before her exit in one of the later passages. However despite that one bobble her technique, turns & leaps were solid and she was very expressive and musical. I enjoyed her.

Laracey and Janzen were our Sugarplum and Cavalier. Janzen was good, Laracey was exceptional. Oh, those arms! That upper body was just so supple and expressive. In my mind she was a cross between the warm graciousness of a Kowroski or Mearns and the sprightly fairy of Hyltin. I was enchanted.
14 hours ago, BalanchineFan said:

Did you see her when she danced Concerto Barocco?

Yes, I did, the first performance. Beautiful. Laracey has had a great career no doubt, as a favored soloist at one of the world's leading ballet companies. So I try not to dwell on the things that didn't happen, but it's hard not to wish we could see her in Symphony in C, Diamonds, and Vienna Waltzes. 

Roles I'd love to give to City Ballet dancers if I could:

Isabella LaFreniere as Tall Girl in Rubies and Choleric in 4Ts (maybe she's done them already), and as Odette/Odile.  Chun Wai Chan as Puck, and as Bluebird. After shining as the Soldier and Tea this Nutcracker run, I'd like to see Caian Weber get a Bluebird too. Peter Walker as all the Princes (Siegfried, Désiré, etc). Ashley Laracey in Diamonds and as Waltz Girl in Serenade. Mira Nadon in Walpurgisnacht!

I attended the final Nutcracker yesterday.  My main motivation was to see Roman Mejia.  He was dazzling.  We frequently talk about promotions for the ladies, but in my opinion Mejia has proven himself as deserving of elevation.  His technical brilliance is undeniable.  His partnering has improved a great deal.  I hope to see him as a new Prince Desire this season.   

I had never seen Tiler Peck as Sugarplum before.  Her musicality, stage presence and technique remain magical.  However, this role exposes  to a high degree that she can no longer raise her leg into a full arabesque position.  

Phelan was Dewdrop.  A terrific performance except for when she had to spin.   Turning is her kryptonite.  I've seen her also come to grief because of fouettes  in other roles like Symphony in C.   She got through the few fouettes required in Dewdrop, but they were sloppy and traveling.  

Emma Von Enck was a treasure as Marzipan.  I can't wait to see what other roles she will be assigned going forward.  

Happy New Year to all!  May 2023 be filled with health, happiness and lots of ballet.

Edited by abatt

Woodward is a more brilliant technician, and Phelan is a lyrical dancer with weaker technical abilities.  Woodward has been excellent in creating characters.  I thought her performances in La Sylphide and Sleeping Beauty were very good.  I hope they give  Woodward  Coppelia during the next cycle when it is revived.    

6 hours ago, Balletwannabe said:

I've seen Phelan as SPF & Indiana Woodward as Dewdrop (not an NYCB performance).  They are very different dancers and I think they are suited to those; Dewdrop requires a different energy and I think Woodward nails it. 

In the recent City Center program on youtube with Suki Schorer, Phelan and Woodward agreed with you about their favorites of the two roles: Phelan chose SPF and Woodward chose Dewdrop. Their opinions may have changed by now, of course.

On 12/31/2022 at 12:46 PM, cobweb said:

Yes, I did, the first performance. Beautiful. Laracey has had a great career no doubt, as a favored soloist at one of the world's leading ballet companies. So I try not to dwell on the things that didn't happen, but it's hard not to wish we could see her in Symphony in C, Diamonds, and Vienna Waltzes. 

I thought you, of all the people I've come in contact with, would have really enjoyed it.

5 minutes ago, BalanchineFan said:

I thought you, of all the people I've come in contact with, would have really enjoyed it.

Thank you, BalanchineFan! I certainly am a huge fan of Laracey, I consider her one of the most beautiful and poetic dancers I have ever seen.