This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT Met Season 2023

Another tidbit on the fall ABT season: Gillian Murphy will be doing "Other Dances." She's standing in front of a poster "two weeks only." It's in her Instagram stories, so no way to link. Not clear who will partner in this, but names of Boylston, Bell, and Ahn are shown near the bottom of her image.

Time to start a new chain for fall?

Edited by California
14 hours ago, matilda said:

Myrta, Von Rothbart, and Mercutio casting has been posted. https://www.abt.org/performances/summer-season/

Katherine Williams appears to be out this season (replaced in LWFC by Claire Davison, no Myrtas)

Fanqui Li gets a Myrta debut. 

Jarod Curley and Corey Stearns are both listed as Dr. John Brown for the same LWFC shows (3rd cast), must be an error. 

The Met website is listing J Curley for John Brown; Cory's name does not appear on the Met website anymore for Dr. John Brown.  Is this a minor role?  The chance to see Curley might motivate me to see this cast.

The bigger question is whether Stearns will make his other scheduled appearances during the Met season.

15 hours ago, matilda said:

Myrta, Von Rothbart, and Mercutio casting has been posted. https://www.abt.org/performances/summer-season/

Katherine Williams appears to be out this season (replaced in LWFC by Claire Davison, no Myrtas)

Fanqui Li gets a Myrta debut. 

Jarod Curley and Corey Stearns are both listed as Dr. John Brown for the same LWFC shows (3rd cast), must be an error. 

Interesting Myrtha casting as Chloe has 3 including opening night, Ziggy has 2, and Teuscher 1 but none for Hurlin or Katherine Williams even though they both did Myrtha on tour. And then Fangqi is just debuting Myrtha at the met? I’m confused haha but happy that she’s getting the opportunity. 

3 minutes ago, balletlover08 said:

Interesting Myrtha casting as Chloe has 3 including opening night, Ziggy has 2, and Teuscher 1 but none for Hurlin or Katherine Williams even though they both did Myrtha on tour. And then Fangqi is just debuting Myrtha at the met? I’m confused haha but happy that she’s getting the opportunity. 

Hurlin is debuting Giselle at the Met, so assuming she’s not doing Myrtha so she can focus on that (she’s also doing Juliet and O/O and LWFC, so she has a lot.) I’m guessing Williams may be injured since she’s now out of Myrtha and LWFC. Happy to see Li get a debut as Myrtha (and that may be happening at the Met only because Williams is now out) and also Roxander debuting as Mercutio.

38 minutes ago, balletlover08 said:

A curious observation here: all three have China connections, wonder if there are plans to tour in China and to have these dancers ready for their audience?! Especially since there are other newly minted soloists not given the chance for this vs Fangqi?

On 6/2/2023 at 12:35 PM, abatt said:

Since we just had the Dream last season,..Camargo did all performances...Give Aran Bell a shot at Oberon.

Yes to Bell, Camargo,Curley in anything.

On 6/2/2023 at 11:02 AM, abatt said:

The Met website is listing J Curley for John Brown; Cory's name does not appear on the Met website anymore for Dr. John Brown.  Is this a minor role? ...

ABT should list Juan casting.  Also Giselle peasant pdd, R&J Tybalt/Paris/Benvolio.  No male soloists on Met casting.

Edited by maps
2 hours ago, stuben said:

A curious observation here: all three have China connections, wonder if there are plans to tour in China and to have these dancers ready for their audience?! Especially since there are other newly minted soloists not given the chance for this vs Fangqi?

The other newly minted female soloists (Granlund, McBride, Park) do not have the personality or carriage necessary for Myrtha, in my opinion. That’s not a criticism. Not everyone can portray a steely and dominating character.

On 6/2/2023 at 2:40 PM, ABT Fan said:

The other newly minted female soloists (Granlund, McBride, Park) do not have the personality or carriage necessary for Myrtha, in my opinion. 

I'm agreeing with ABT Fan. Lovely and talented dancers all, but from what I've seen so far they don't put me in mind of Myrtha. Fangqi Li has already impressed several of us as a dancer of exceptional promise. It looks like management has faith that Li already has the stage quality to be a successful Myrtha (and at the minimum, her jetes are remarkable).  It's possible she is getting the chance because of Williams being out but still it's an enormous vote of confidence to give her two Myrthas at the Met. 

I also think it's a wise publicity move to feature Misseldine and Li to generate more excitement for Giselle performances with Giselles we've seen before.  And it's Zhong-Jing Fang's first Myrtha, isn't it? At least at the Met, I think. I'm happy to see her getting this role after so many years battling back from devastating injury. I'd love to see all three of them! I also wanted to see Hurlin's Giselle, but the all-star cast on Saturday that Gillian Murphy is leading (Murphy, Forster, and Teuscher all best-fits for those roles) - surely Gillian can't go on forever? Maybe I shouldn't miss it, just in case there doesn't end up being another opportunity. Hard choices!

This short video probably should be on a new thread, I came across this from our beloved David's interview with Sylvie Guillem and thought it relates to exactly my thoughts about some of the newly minted principals and soloists, and what is going on at ABT: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CtSmawisLxg/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

I just love what she said about the fouettés and the need for feelings vs techniques, something that is sorely lacking IMHO. Watching a dancer do amazing jetés and fouettés is always wonderful however I have to agree with Sylvie that it doesn't draw you into the character, that is what made "the greats" great.

Just took a look at the calendar and it looks like Stearns has been removed from all performances of LWFC - Forster, Royal and Curley now alternate as Dr.John Brown. Stearns is still listed as Albrecht in the first performance of Giselle on 7/3.

Cory has a Prince Siegfried with partner Devon Teuscher on July 14 ("A Special Evening for Susan Jaffe") and a Romeo with Hee Seo on July 20th in addition to the opening night "Giselle" with Seo on July 3rd.

Jaffe must like him and Teuscher to choose their SL for her personal gala.

28 minutes ago, California said:

This does not bode well for the Met season: ABT just sent email to Friends with an offer of 50% off for orchestra prime and sides for June 23-30 -- looks like everything except opening night. 

Is anyone surprised? Its insane for them to think they could sell 12 performances of a brand new ballet. Especially in a shortened 5 week season!