This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

New York City Ballet 2021 Season

1 hour ago, Helene said:

It very well may:  Speight Jenkins often said that new technologies were met with fear and trepidation that it would mean the end of opera, and no one would come to the theater, and, in each case, this was wrong, including the fear that Met in HD would put local companies out of business because for under $30, you could hear Netrebko and Kaufmann.  Similarly with VHS/DVD and film. 

Remember the lawsuits by the movie industry against VHS/Beta, Blockbuster, etc. in the 70s? They were afraid those technologies would destroy their business. Only later did they realize that they themselves owned valuable product that could actually be sold on those cassette tapes! 

https://techcrunch.com/2013/12/27/how-the-content-industry-almost-killed-blockbuster-and-netflix/

Performances by European and Russian companies are often available on DVD, yet we flock to see those companies when they tour the US.

Edited by California
2 hours ago, California said:

Performances by European and Russian companies are often available on DVD, yet we flock to see those companies when they tour the US.

But it often depends on the vehicle. During the Bolshoi's last visit to the U.S., Lincoln Center was forced to offer a 25% discount on tickets to The Taming of the Shrew. Three years ago in London there was a discount on the Mariinsky's Don Quixote and a year later on the Bolshoi's Bright Stream.

I have to say again that I'm enjoying very much the digital presentation of Vienna Waltzes' DER ROSENKAVALIER: ERSTE WALZERFOLGE. I have focused primarily on Maria Kowroski and she's elegant lovely. I also went immediately to the video of Suzanne Farrell. For me, she's as committed and encompassing as I've ever seen her. I debate somewhat all the deep backbends until she does her final one disappearing behind the curtain and I'm hooked.

The ensemble dancing is spellbinding. I could spend a lot more time watching both of these.

Added: I think that with Maria Kowroski it's more a story and with Suzanne Farrell it's more about the performance. Both are very effective. 

Edited by Buddy
On 5/14/2021 at 3:41 PM, Quiggin said:

To me Justin Peck uses space, and combinations of dancers, in a constantly refreshing and non-hierarchial way. As did Ratmansky in his recent ABT Bernstein Divertimento and Trisha Brown in her 2002 Geometry of Quiet, just streamed in the Joyce spring series. With some of these works it's as if each section of the stage – like an Excel grid – has a different operational value assigned to it. This is what distinguishes Cubism and modernism from the work of the 19th century and can make contemporary dance so thrilling......

Better to see works like these rather than the self-assignments Balanchine did to pay the bills?

Peck is at least a classically trained choreographer who can surprise, but I'm happy to see Mr. B's crowd pleasers and I-had-to-do-this-because-Maria-needs-something-new ballets just as I'm pleased to hear Mozart's "the archduchess wants this one by Saturday" pieces.

1 hour ago, dirac said:

Peck is at least a classically trained choreographer who can surprise, but I'm happy to see Mr. B's crowd pleasers and I-had-to-do-this-because-Maria-needs-something-new ballets just as I'm pleased to hear Mozart's "the archduchess wants this one by Saturday" pieces.

I agree! An apt comparison.

Anyone know who is likely to be in the company as "NYCB MOVES" to Vail International Dance Festival?  I just got tix and am so excited to break the ballet performance fast!  DAAG, Sonatine, In the Night, Pictures at an Exhibition.

Has anyone heard anything about the continuation of Society NYCB? I believe that last summer they sent out a notice saying it was of course suspended for the year but that we would hear from them at some point about renewals. I have been away from NYC for months and having serious problems with USPS forwarding my mail, so I'm wondering if I missed anything about this. 

On the NYCB website, in the fall season, Ratmansky's Namouna has been swapped with Concerto DSCH. It's on the program with Robbins' Opus 19/the Dreamer, and nothing else. That's a total of around 40 minutes of dancing for the evening... they have to be adding something else to the program, right? 

And Slaughter on 10th Ave has been swapped out for La Valse

56 minutes ago, JuliaJ said:

On the NYCB website, in the fall season, Ratmansky's Namouna has been swapped with Concerto DSCH. It's on the program with Robbins' Opus 19/the Dreamer, and nothing else. That's a total of around 40 minutes of dancing for the evening... they have to be adding something else to the program, right? 

And Slaughter on 10th Ave has been swapped out for La Valse

Also note that there are no intermissions in the fall: 

Fall 2021 performances will be seated with no social distancing but will be performed without an intermission to maximize audience safety. Additional safety measures will include an upgraded auditorium ventilation system, rigorous cleaning and sanitation protocols, and a contactless entrance experience. https://www.nycballet.com/your-visit/your-safety

I haven't seen any information on open rehearsals for friends and wonder if those are gone, at least for now.

Interesting. Not sure how not letting people get up to stretch their legs and use the restroom helps "maximize audience safety," but ok. I won't miss having two intermissions in one program, that's for sure. 

Another update to the calendar: the last show of the spring season, a Midsummer Night's Dream, is Ramasar's farewell: https://www.nycballet.com/season-and-tickets/spring-2022/a-midsummer-nights-dream/. I wonder what role he'll be dancing? Doesn't he normally just dance the Divertissement? 

I've seen Ramasar as Demetrius.

25 minutes ago, JuliaJ said:

Not sure how not letting people get up to stretch their legs and use the restroom helps "maximize audience safety,"

I suspect they're afraid of the queues for the women's toilets. Lots of people bunched up together sharing air, stalls and fixtures. 

FYI, the NY Philharmonic also announced that there will be no intermissions.  I hope people have strong bladders.  The end of the show will see unprecedented bathroom lines. I wonder if they will continue their prior policy of opening the theater an hour before curtain time at the Koch Theater.

I didn't really care about the social aspect for the Philharmonic because I usually don't know anyone there except my husband.  In contrast, at NYCB I usually know many people and speaking to friends at intermission is part of the joy of attending the show.  I will certainly miss seeing friends at intermission on the Promenade, especially since I have not seen most of these friends since  February 2020.

The only plus here is that everyone will get home early, and we  will not be forced to sit through any more See the Music lectures.

Please note if you're subscribed to the Oct 14th or 15th performances that they need to sort out their error (I just spoke with the box office today); it's swapped on the calendar (vs. what you see when you purchase online).  They're looking into it.  I hope it was an error on the calendar..for everyone who assumes what they saw when they checked-out was correct (me!!)

I suspect there will be pauses of about 5 minutes between each piece. We'll see

I think this will cause a lot of parading in and out of the auditorium during the performance, and problems for the ushers.   People who  must use the restroom are going to leave and expect to be let back into the auditorium.

If they are worried about long lines and crowds in the restrooms, I wonder what they have planned for before and after the actual performance. We are used to seeing signs on the floor for distancing and attendants at the door to regulate access. But, of course, that could also be done at a genuine intermission.

On 7/12/2021 at 1:17 PM, California said:

I haven't seen any information on open rehearsals for friends and wonder if those are gone, at least for now.

I wrote to the membership office about Friends rehearsals in the fall: "We are still working on the logistics of open Friends rehearsals for the fall season. So sorry I don’t have a definitive answer for you at the moment. We will be in touch with members as soon as we have more information."

3 hours ago, California said:

If they are worried about long lines and crowds in the restrooms, I wonder what they have planned for before and after the actual performance. We are used to seeing signs on the floor for distancing and attendants at the door to regulate access. But, of course, that could also be done at a genuine intermission.

Seriously, how are they planning for the rush to the restrooms when the performance is over?