This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Affects the Ballet World

Covent Garden remains open as do all theatres in London though there is some evidence that ticket sales are declining in the West End.  ROH has very elderly audiences compared with other European houses, especially for ballet and I think they should consider closing the House during the day when all and sundry wander in and should open an hour before performances, strictly for ticket holders only.

1 hour ago, volcanohunter said:

St. Petersburg has banned gatherings of more than 1,000 people from March 16 to 30. The order specifically cites theatrical, cultural, entertainment and sporting events.

https://www.gov.spb.ru/press/governor/184881/

And the French government has reduced permissible crowd size to 100.

So there goes this year's Mariinsky Ballet Festival unless they are somehow exempt from this rule, which would make no sense.

5 hours ago, Mashinka said:

Covent Garden remains open as do all theatres in London though there is some evidence that ticket sales are declining in the West End.  ROH has very elderly audiences compared with other European houses, especially for ballet and I think they should consider closing the House during the day when all and sundry wander in and should open an hour before performances, strictly for ticket holders only.

Is it something about the English stiff upper lip - Keep Calm and Carry On? Related somehow to this, the Sarasota Ballet has not cancelled its upcoming revival of Ashton's Romeo & Juliet, set for next weekend (25 March). Sarasota definitely has a senior population. They should reconsider keep the theatre open.

Mariinsky Theater:

Due to the introduction of a ruling by the Government of St Petersburg, No 121, “On measures to prevent the spreading in St Petersburg of the new coronavirus infection (COVID-19)” dated 13 March please note the following:
The Mariinsky Theatre will continue to function, taking into account the restrictions introduced by the aforementioned ruling. The theatre’s repertoire is subject to change. We would like to ask for your understanding in view of the current situation.
Additional information will be published on the Mariinsky Theatre’s official website.

Mikhailovsky Theater:

Dear patrons,
We receive a lot of questions relating to the work of the theatre in the conditions of the imposed restriction on holding mass events. Mikhailovsky Theatre is, in the first place, a city theatre, where most of the visitors are citizens of Petersburg. Our theatre is open as usual and all the performances are going ahead as scheduled.

(*The Mikhailovsky seats around 900.)

Edited by volcanohunter

There is a skating show in Russia that broke the show into two sessions, so that they could get under the restricted amount of people per show.  The Mariinsky may go to a similar scheme. 

When San Francisco Ballet was out of a home when War Memorial went through a seismic upgrade, they played in smaller theaters, I think about 1000 seats each.  Movie theaters around here are limiting ticket sales to 50% capacity, even though the theaters seat less than 250, the current limit in Washington State.  They're saying that they want people to be able to have room between each other, since 6 feet is considered a safe enough sneeze/cough zone. 

1 hour ago, Roberta said:

Is it something about the English stiff upper lip - Keep Calm and Carry On?

No, the government wants the population to catch the virus to develop 'herd immunity'.   Worrying if like me you're over seventy with asthma.

The Astana Ballet in Kazakhstan plans to perform as usual without an audience and live stream the performance.  Good idea.

The Denver Performing Arts Center (home of the Ellie Caulkins Opera House, where the Colorado Ballet performs) has cancelled all events through Sunday, April 13. Unfortunately, that includes the Ballet's final program of the season (Theme and Variations, Petite Mort, In the Upper Room). As per an Instagram story from Yosvani Ramos, the dancers are now all on lay-off.

I am devastated -- but I am truly heartbroken for the dancers. 

https://www.coloradoballet.org/covid19

https://www.denvercenter.org/response/

Edited by California

Les Grands Ballets Canadiens de Montreal has postponed performances of Luna scheduled for March 19th-28th. 

The National Ballet of Canada has cancelled the remaining peformances of Romeo and Juliet.

On 3/12/2020 at 2:13 PM, Helene said:

The Met Opera had two more March performances of La Traviata on their schedule, both of which have been cancelled.  This production does have ballet in it.   In the last one they broadcast, Mearns was announced during the curtain calls, but they don't list the dancers among the casting on their website, so we can't tell whether or not she was scheduled to dance in the two cancelled performances from it.

In an IG story, Mearns writes that she would have been performing her final show at the Met tonight.

I just received this email from ABT:

Following the advice of public health officials and the Center for Disease Control, we will be delaying the on sale dates for single performance tickets for the 2020 ABT Season at the Metropolitan Opera House. We will announce the new dates for Members Advance Sale, Subscriber Exchange Week, and Single Ticket On Sale soon.

At this time, there are no changes to the performance schedule for our 80th Anniversary Season at the Metropolitan Opera House, May 11 to July 4, including ABT’s 80th Anniversary Gala on May 18. 

5 hours ago, Roberta said:

the Sarasota Ballet has not cancelled its upcoming revival of Ashton's Romeo & Juliet, set for next weekend (25 March). Sarasota definitely has a senior population. They should reconsider keep the theatre open.

They've cancelled. I received an e-mail to that effect this afternoon.

5 hours ago, Mashinka said:

No, the government wants the population to catch the virus to develop 'herd immunity'.   Worrying if like me you're over seventy with asthma.

I confess I thought perhaps you were making a sarcastic remark about the UK's slowness to act, so I googled "herd immunity...UK...Coronavirus" and and OMG!!! -- you were not being sarcastic!!! That seems like the government is gambling with the entire national health system and a lot of lives.  We will see what happens....

(Mr. Drew is approaching 70 and has asthma and I'm not exactly young...so...uh...solidarity.)

Edited by Drew

18 minutes ago, Drew said:

I confess I thought perhaps you were making a sarcastic remark about the UK's slowness to act, so I googled "herd immunity...UK...Coronavirus" and and OMG!!! -- you were not being sarcastic!!!

I did exactly the same thing!

On March 12, the Israeli government prohibited all gatherings of over 100 people.

That includes 99.9% of all performing arts events, and most venues have announced complete closure until at least the end of the month.

On March 12, the Israeli government prohibited all gatherings of over 100 people.

That includes 99.9% of all performing arts events, and most venues have announced complete closure until at least the end of the month.

Many symphonies and operas are live-streaming performances (Berlin, Jacksonville, Met). I'm wondering if ballet companies have dress rehearsals that are being live-streamed for free on Facebook. This could be a dramatic change in the way we access the arts on-line! Of course, Amazon Prime has a lot  of great ballet in its collection, but not everybody can afford that. 

A lot of companies have canceled all classes and rehearsals. You can see dancers on Instagram doing barre work in their apartments. Unless they release prerecorded video, I don’t know that there would be much to see. 

I'm seeing Facebook and Instagram postings from Vail and Kochetkova, e.g., of morning exercises. Of course, dancers know how to do their own classes, but it seems to me that this use of social media might help in reassuring people that they're not alone in this crisis. 

I'm sad about the Swan Lake postponement but grateful that Kent was able to rescheduled for June.  Donating back to a favorite company is different than a donate back to a venue presenting a company.  ABT is wise to suspend sales .  ABT, the production company, allowed the refunds of tickets and fees on that Giselle cast change, not the KC.   That show started at the same price as other weekdays but rose in dynamic pricing after casting was announced.  We received notice of the SL postponement before the KC closure through 3/31.  

Edited by maps

14 hours ago, California said:

Many symphonies and operas are live-streaming performances (Berlin, Jacksonville, Met). I'm wondering if ballet companies have dress rehearsals that are being live-streamed for free on Facebook. This could be a dramatic change in the way we access the arts on-line! Of course, Amazon Prime has a lot  of great ballet in its collection, but not everybody can afford that. 

Pacific Northwest Ballet is trying to pull something like this together for its ticket holders, but like many organizations, they don't have a lot of resources to turn on a dime.