This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Affects the Ballet World

@The Traveling Ballerina, at this point you may actually be better off compiling a list of performances that have not yet been canceled. It would be shorter.

The people I really feel for now are dancers in Japan, because if I understand correctly, most companies don't pay them for rehearsal time. They are paid per performance. Even their shoe allowances are only for performance footwear. So presumably if shows aren't taking place, they're getting nothing. Perhaps @naomikage can clarify this.

1 hour ago, volcanohunter said:

The people I really feel for now are dancers in Japan, because if I understand correctly, most companies don't pay them for rehearsal time. They are paid per performance. Even their shoe allowances are only for performance footwear. So presumably if shows aren't taking place, they're getting nothing. Perhaps @naomikage can clarify this.

Yes you are right. It is especially a difficult time for artists in Japan especially ballet dancers. The only two companies that pay dancers regular salary is National Ballet of Japan and K-Ballet Company, and even the dancers from the 2 companies have low pay if they are not participating in performances. There are many ballet companies that are private and some don't receive public funding at all so they have to pay huge cancellation fee for the venues they have rented, they staff they employed and so on. So I am afraid some companies might have to disband.  The government are NOT going to offer any help for art sectors affected by the coronavirus situation, or the people who work there, many are freelance artists/staff. 

It was just announced that the NYC schools will close until Monday, April 20. NYCB is scheduled to open its spring season Tuesday, April 21. Of course, this could all be "over" by then, but who knows!

I wonder if the delay in ABT ticketing has something to do with concerns about people standing in long lines at the ticket office, as well as uncertainty about the spring schedule.

The Metropolitan Opera has announced that it will stream operas for free  on its website:

From the linked Gothamist article: All “Nightly Met Opera Streams” will begin at 7:30 p.m. and will remain available via the homepage of metopera.org for 20 hours.Gothamis

Here's the schedule:

Monday, March 16 – Bizet’s Carmen (Conducted by Yannick Nézet-Séguin, starring Elīna Garanča and Roberto Alagna. Transmitted live on January 16, 2010.)

Tuesday, March 17 – Puccini’s La Bohème (Conducted by Nicola Luisotti, starring Angela Gheorghiu and Ramón Vargas. Transmitted live on April 5, 2008.)

Wednesday, March 18 – Verdi’s Il Trovatore (Conducted by Marco Armiliato, starring Anna Netrebko, Dolora Zajick, Yonghoon Lee, and Dmitri Hvorostovsky. Transmitted live on October 3, 2015.)

Thursday, March 19 – Verdi’s La Traviata (Conducted by Yannick Nézet-Séguin, starring Diana Damrau, Juan Diego Flórez, and Quinn Kelsey. Transmitted live on December 15, 2018.)

Friday, March 20 – Donizetti’s La Fille du Régiment (Conducted by Marco Armiliato, starring Natalie Dessay and Juan Diego Flórez. Transmitted live on April 26, 2008.)

Saturday, March 21 – Donizetti’s Lucia di Lammermoor (Conducted by Marco Armiliato, starring Anna Netrebko, Piotr Beczała, and Mariusz Kwiecien. Transmitted live on February 7, 2009.)

Sunday, March 22 – Tchaikovsky’s Eugene Onegin (Conducted by Valery Gergiev, starring Renée Fleming, Ramón Vargas, and Dmitri Hvorostovsky. Transmitted live on February 24, 2007.)

PS: I'm not sure there's enough worldwide bandwidth to accommodate everything that's going to have to happen on line! Lots of schools plan to use online distance learning; there's going to be an uptick in telemedicine; more people will be streaming entertainment in general, be it movies, TV, or online video games, etc etc etc!

Edited by Kathleen O'Connell

1 hour ago, Kathleen O'Connell said:

The Metropolitan Opera has announced that it will stream operas for free  on its website:

From the linked Gothamist article: All “Nightly Met Opera Streams” will begin at 7:30 p.m. and will remain available via the homepage of metopera.org for 20 hours.Gothamis

Here's the schedule:

Monday, March 16 – Bizet’s Carmen (Conducted by Yannick Nézet-Séguin, starring Elīna Garanča and Roberto Alagna. Transmitted live on January 16, 2010.)

Tuesday, March 17 – Puccini’s La Bohème (Conducted by Nicola Luisotti, starring Angela Gheorghiu and Ramón Vargas. Transmitted live on April 5, 2008.)

Wednesday, March 18 – Verdi’s Il Trovatore (Conducted by Marco Armiliato, starring Anna Netrebko, Dolora Zajick, Yonghoon Lee, and Dmitri Hvorostovsky. Transmitted live on October 3, 2015.)

Thursday, March 19 – Verdi’s La Traviata (Conducted by Yannick Nézet-Séguin, starring Diana Damrau, Juan Diego Flórez, and Quinn Kelsey. Transmitted live on December 15, 2018.)

Friday, March 20 – Donizetti’s La Fille du Régiment (Conducted by Marco Armiliato, starring Natalie Dessay and Juan Diego Flórez. Transmitted live on April 26, 2008.)

Saturday, March 21 – Donizetti’s Lucia di Lammermoor (Conducted by Marco Armiliato, starring Anna Netrebko, Piotr Beczała, and Mariusz Kwiecien. Transmitted live on February 7, 2009.)

Sunday, March 22 – Tchaikovsky’s Eugene Onegin (Conducted by Valery Gergiev, starring Renée Fleming, Ramón Vargas, and Dmitri Hvorostovsky. Transmitted live on February 24, 2007.)

PS: I'm not sure there's enough worldwide bandwidth to accommodate everything that's going to have to happen on line! Lots of schools plan to use online distance learning; there's going to be an uptick in telemedicine; more people will be streaming entertainment in general, be it movies, TV, or online video games, etc etc etc!

The Fleming Hvorostovsky Onegin is a gem.  It's the only opera performance  that has ever brought tears to my eyes. 

I just received an email from Ballet West, which said in part:

Ballet West continues to closely monitor the ever-evolving situation regarding COVID-19 and the restrictions and recommendations public health officials are offering to contain this virus. In this light, Ballet West will postpone the Bolero & The Dream program, originally scheduled for April 17--25, to June 18-21. The Choreographic Festival will continue to be staged May 14-16, though visiting companies Singapore Dance Theater and Royal New Zealand Ballet will not present at the Festival. Ticket holders will be contacted by patron services in the coming weeks regarding their tickets.

Bayerisches Staatsoper won't be able to stream Swan Lake on March 21, but they will replay their Jewels stream from April 201, and their stream will be available for 24 hours on demand, although they start the 24 hours the noon (CET) after the live stream.:

https://www.staatsoper.de/en/stream/

They are also making Il Trovatore (with Harteros and Kaufmann) available from March 14-March 28, noon CET, and Concerto for Orchestra/Bluebeard's Castle from March 11-March 26, noon CET.  (Many thanks to Terri Stuart of the Wagner Society of Northern California for giving members a heads up through their email newsletter.)

Demand was much higher than expected for the free Met Opera screening of Carmen, and their website now encourages people to use the Met on Demand apps (Roku, Amazon, Apple, and Samsung TV), and that it will be available there on demand until 3:30pm EDT on Tuesday, March 17

I thought this was an interesting development:

Art Galleries Respond to Virus Outbreak With Online Viewing Rooms
After canceling its fair, Art Basel Hong Kong will present more than 2,000 works online with an estimated value of $270 million. That’s just the beginning as the art world goes virtual.

"...Some point to the added value that online viewing rooms can provide, namely historical context through accompanying scholarly essays; the ability to reach collectors who can’t easily travel to galleries or art fairs; and leaving much less of a carbon footprint by eliminating shipping and flights to fairs."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/16/arts/design/art-galleries-online-viewing-coronavirus.html

9 hours ago, Helene said:

Demand was much higher than expected for the free Met Opera screening of Carmen, and their website now encourages people to use the Met on Demand apps (Roku, Amazon, Apple, and Samsung TV), and that it will be available there on demand until 3:30pm EDT on Tuesday, March 17

Ah, perhaps that explains why the Met On Demand app on my Roku TV hasn't been working since yesterday evening, and the Met On Demand website seems to be having problems as well. They may not have the capacity to really make good on that invitation.

I keep thinking about Valeri Panov's book, in which he describes how he and Galina Panova tried to keep in ballet shape while under house arrest in their apartment.  He wrote that he was limited in trying to practice jumps, because of the height of the ceiling.

5 hours ago, nanushka said:

Ah, perhaps that explains why the Met On Demand app on my Roku TV hasn't been working since yesterday evening, and the Met On Demand website seems to be having problems as well. They may not have the capacity to really make good on that invitation.

We were talking about this at dinner last night -- between the folks who are working from home, and need a higher/faster level of connection than normal; the kids, from pre-K to grad school, who have been migrated to online learning without any real prep time; people who are trying to stay close to home and so are teaching themselves to use online shopping tools; and all of us who want more information about these untested times -- this is a real time stress test of our online infrastructure.  If we're lucky, nothing will collapse.  If we're smart, we'll take this as a big nudge from the gods to improve the network, and expand access.

Ballet West just sent out the following message for immediate release:

Two Ballet West dancers tested positive for the COVID-19 virus this morning. Both dancers had recently returned to Salt Lake City from an extended trip to the East Coast. Since returning to Utah, the two had no contact with Ballet West Academy students, Ballet West staff, or other dancers, and had been traveling out of state since March 1. The two dancers are currently under self-quarantine.

Executive Director Michael Scolamiero confirmed, “The two dancers who tested positive had not returned to the Ballet West campus, and had not had any contact with other coworkers or students.” The company will not be releasing more information, based on privacy concerns. 

My understanding is that the Mariinsky and the Bolshoi are closed. I'm in Moscow with a reservation to leave for LA tomorrow on Aeroflot.

Hope to be back as soon as possible.

It was great to see the folks I know even for such a short visit. I wish them the best.

51 minutes ago, Buddy said:

My understanding is that the Mariinsky and the Bolshoi are closed. I'm in Moscow with a reservation to leave for LA tomorrow on Aeroflot.

Hope to be back as soon as possible.

It was great to see the folks I know even for such a short visit. I wish them the best.

The Mariinsky is closed thru the end of month, at least for now. Mikhailovsky is the last one standing.

Have a safe trip home.

17 hours ago, Helene said:

Just noting that I only got to watch act I of Carmen last night  and started watching the rest this afternoon and finished at 4:30--it didn't just disappear at 3:30. 

I've been seeing a lot of advice on the interwebz that if you start it before it is supposed to expire, you can watch it until the end.  There was some question about whether you could access it if you opened a new browser window after the cut-off, which I just did, but I haven't played it through, and it may cut off either when a new one starts or partway through.  Or it may play until the end.