This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Fall Season

On 9/10/2019 at 4:52 PM, bellawood said:

On Jovani Furlan's Instagram stories he says, due to a casting change, he will be debuting in DGV on the 18th with Ashley Bouder — I guess Harrison Ball is out? I hope it’s nothing serious as he had an incredible spring.

I am very excited about the addition of Jovani - I saw him perform at the Nantucket Dance festival a few years back and he was lovely.  I hope NYCB finds more tall men to fill the roster soon, as well.  

2 hours ago, bellawood said:

For those who might have missed it, there's a few hours left to watch part of the rehearsal for DGV on NYCB's instagram that was aired live yesterday afternoon. Lots of goodies, including Lovette/Veyette, Walker/Pollack and the truly-DGV coda. Wheeldon is there to stage it. 

Just watched it! I always love watching the behind the scenes rehearsals - I hope they keep doing more of them.  

Lauren Lovette looked beautiful and I thought Megan Fairchild looked in very good form as well! Obviously all are so talented.

Edited by GB1216
Added sentence
On 9/13/2019 at 11:55 AM, bellawood said:

For those who might have missed it, there's a few hours left to watch part of the rehearsal for DGV on NYCB's instagram that was aired live yesterday afternoon. Lots of goodies, including Lovette/Veyette, Walker/Pollack and the truly-DGV coda. Wheeldon is there to stage it. 

The FB rehearsal video is great. Thank you to whoever posted about it first.

Peter Walker looks transformed. Was that him with the beard? Who's the woman in the pink tights and burgundy leo who groans at the end?

5 hours ago, BalanchineFan said:

Peter Walker looks transformed. Was that him with the beard? Who's the woman in the pink tights and burgundy leo who groans at the end?

I believe it's Megan Fairchild. 

I am also pretty sure it's Peter Walker with the beard and long hair tied in a bun. It looks like he's dancing with Pollack? It took me a while to make sure it was him as well.

Edited by sohalia
15 hours ago, sohalia said:

I believe it's Megan Fairchild. 

I am also pretty sure it's Peter Walker with the beard and long hair tied in a bun. It looks like he's dancing with Pollack? It took me a while to make sure it was him as well.

I think you're right about Megan Fairchild. I heard she has blonde highlights now (or maybe it's just sun).  I'm so excited that I get to see this cast! (though the other cast also looks good on paper). I can't wait for the opening tomorrow.

Woodward could have had an injury that kept her out for a few weeks. I wouldn’t assume they didn’t cast her for no reason. Good to see new casting in the Costermonger pdd, I can envision Lovette and Ulbricht being really charming. Better than seeing Fairchild and Veyette when half the audience knows the back story. 

1 hour ago, Leah said:

Week Three: https://www.nycballet.com/NYCB/media/NYCBMediaLibrary/PDFs/Press/Casting/NYCB-Casting_October-1-6-2019_lobby.pdf

Woodward's back. So they just didn't cast her for the first two weeks, which doesn't make her promotion chances look good. Mejia debuts in Valse Fantaisie, and I think Unity Phelan does Macdonald of Sleat.

She mentioned being in the ICU a few weeks ago so they might have let her rest for the first two weeks of the season.

I don’t imagine a two-week absence as having a major impact on Woodward’s promotion potential, after years of brilliant dancing from her (whatever the reason for the absence).

She certainly would have been a welcome addition to tonight’s Emeralds, ideally in place of the absolutely lackluster Stafford, who brought nothing to the role. 

Edited by fondoffouettes

Overall it was a pretty satisfying opening night of Jewels. I felt the weak link was Emeralds, which just didn't fully come to life for me. As I've noted above, Stafford is woefully ill-suited to the first ballerina role. Her back is stiff, her port de bras clunky, and she brings no lyricism -- let alone any sort of rapturous qualities -- to the role. It makes NO SENSE to me that she was cast again in this role. Phelan had all that Stafford was lacking and gave a very strong performance, if perhaps less transporting than Laracey last season. I was so impressed with Villarini-Velez; gorgeous jumps and spins and such stage presence. I'd love to see more of him. It was nice to see Ramasar in Emeralds again, and he looked in good form. And la Cour's role, consisting mostly of partnering, suited him well at this stage of this career.

Rubies was superb. I've mostly seen Bouder in the ballerina role, so I was delighted to get the chance to see Hyltin. She was fantastic! Sometimes with Bouder I feel as if I'm just watching a series of striking images and tricky moves, milked for effect; but with Hyltin, the steps felt so fresh and in service of the music, not just a means for the dancer to simply show off. Veyette's hiatus last winter season seems to have done wonders for him. No, it wasn't whiz-bang bravura dancing, but he looked fresher than I've seen him in years; he didn't have that unfocused, worn-out quality that's characterized his dancing for the past few years. It was very buoyant, focused dancing. Lastly, Kikta is a superb tall girl, perhaps even better now than in her debut last year. 

Kowroski and Angle delivered one of the most exquisite pas de deux in Diamonds I've ever seen. I do think Kowroski has more depth now than before her coaching by Farrell; what stuck me was the more intense connection with her partner, and the increased interaction (even if just with their eyes) between the two dancers. Like last year, Kowroski's dancing wasn't really fast or incisive enough in the scherzo, and there were some turns that didn't look super secure.  But overall, there's still much to appreciate about Kowroski in this role, and not just in the pas de deux. 

Edited by fondoffouettes

My thoughts on tonight’s performance of Jewels:

Emeralds was the weak link, primarily because Abi Stafford did not bring the role to life. Except for fluttery arms, the rest of her performance did not come to life. She was stiff, lacked fluidity, had limited extension, and generally seemed to me to be doing a class exercise. On the other hand, Unity Phelan had it all: lyricism, musicality, beautiful movement, extension, and a certain ethereal quality. I loved her dancing. Ramasar and La Cour were competent. 

For me the highlight of the evening was Sterling Hyltin in Rubies. The quintessential ballerina, from her interpretation of the role to her musicality, playfulness, quick and perfect movements—I was in awe, as I usually am when I see her dance. She ate up the stage and thrilled the audience. Andrew  Veyette worked hard at his role but he was not in Hyltin’s league. I thoroughly enjoyed Kikta as the tall girl, a wonderful dancer who dances “big” and can command the stage. She was a lovely counterpoint to Hyltin.

I saw Kowroski and Tyler Angle in Diamonds last year and their pdd was just as good this year, with Angle acquitting himself better tonight. More energy, higher jumps, and more commitment to his solos. Just as last year, however, Kowroski’s energy flagged a bit in the finale, but still a fine performance. 

The corps in all three movements gave fine performances with flair and energy. A pleasure to watch them.

What will linger with me is Rubies, one of the great NYCB ballets, for its music, movement, modern choreography, and verve—and Sterling Hyltin, no better interpreter of the role. Seeing her in this was worth all the trouble and expense I had to go through to be there.

As I walked onto the Lincoln Center Plaza last night, it suddenly felt like a long, long time since I'd seen any ballet. I was glad to be there, and very glad to see my "old friends," the dancers, not to mention Balanchine. I left the show energized to see a ton of performances!

Emeralds - Unity Phelan was magical, somehow all at once pensive, febrile, and otherworldly. The pas de trois was wonderful, with a musical and lovely Sara Adams and an ardent Georgina Pazcoguin. I'd love to see more of these two sometimes-overlooked soloists. 

Rubies - Emily Kikta again blazed through the Tall Girl role with commitment and ferocity. Kikta Kikta Kikta. Sterling Hyltin was on fire, but I'm having trouble warming up to Andrew Veyette lately.  

Diamonds - Aside from Emily Kikta, the highlight of the evening for me was the communication and eye contact between Kowroski and Tyler Angle, which adds a whole extra dimension. Tyler Angle's facial expression, eyes, and nobility are second to none. A beautiful performance. 

As always, it was fun to see the corps too. I enjoyed seeing new apprentice KJ Takahashi as one of the four corpsmen in Rubies. He made a big impression on me in the past two SAB workshops. It also seems like there are long-term injuries, but maybe that's always the case. As noted up-thread, the sparkling Alexa Maxwell has been out for a long, long time, and is missed. Also out for a long time are Olivia Boisson, and still it seems Isabella LaFreniere, and more. 

I'm just noticing the Sterling Hyltin-Amar Ramasar casting in upcoming Symphony in C, second movement. Hmmmmmm to that. Here's where I really miss Ashley Laracey. This should be her opportunity. 

And as to Unity Phelan upcoming debut in MacDonald of Sleat, she seems too flimsy for this role, I'd rather see someone with a more grounded and dynamic presence, like Emilie Gerrity or Georgina Pazcoguin. However, I do love Phelan, so hoping for the best.

Edited by cobweb
10 hours ago, CTballetfan said:

For me the highlight of the evening was Sterling Hyltin in Rubies. The quintessential ballerina, from her interpretation of the role to her musicality, playfulness, quick and perfect movements—I was in awe, as I usually am when I see her dance. She ate up the stage and thrilled the audience. Andrew  Veyette worked hard at his role but he was not in Hyltin’s league. I thoroughly enjoyed Kikta as the tall girl, a wonderful dancer who dances “big” and can command the stage. She was a lovely counterpoint to Hyltin.

What will linger with me is Rubies, one of the great NYCB ballets, for its music, movement, modern choreography, and verve—and Sterling Hyltin, no better interpreter of the role. Seeing her in this was worth all the trouble and expense I had to go through to be there.

3 hours ago, cobweb said:

Rubies - Emily Kikta again blazed through the Tall Girl role with commitment and ferocity. Kikta Kikta Kikta. Sterling Hyltin was on fire, but I'm having trouble warming up to Andrew Veyette lately.  

I'm just noticing the Sterling Hyltin-Amar Ramasar casting in upcoming Symphony in C, second movement. Hmmmmmm to that. Here's where I really miss Ashley Laracey. This should be her opportunity. 

And as to Unity Phelan upcoming debut in MacDonald of Sleat, she seems too flimsy for this role, I'd rather see someone with a more grounded and dynamic presence, like Emilie Gerrity or Georgina Pazcoguin. However, I do love Phelan, so hoping for the best.

I absolutely LOVED Hyltin In Rubies last night and I love her in many roles. But not Symphony in C. She hasn't been cast in the 2nd movement since she made her debut in it back in 2016. I was hoping that meant that management realized that she was totally miscast in it.

I remember at the time that although she, of course, has no problem executing the steps she didn't convey the mystery, or spirituality or transcendence that the best interpreters bring to the role. Hyltin was just pretty, she didn't really project any inner life and for me that is a killer in this role. 

I have tickets for her performance so I can only hope Whelan is spending lots of time coaching her in this.

Another 3rd week casting disappointment - it looks like Bouder is cast in Wrens. I saw her last time she did this and here is another example of a great dancer cast in a role she is totally unsuited for. She has none of the glamour or sly humor the role calls for.  I think she'd be fierce in MacDonald of Sleat, but not Wrens. I also second cobweb's vote for Georgina Pazcoguin in MoS. 
6 minutes ago, nysusan said:

Another 3rd week casting disappointment - it looks like Bouder is cast in Wrens. I saw her last time she did this and here is another example of a great dancer cast in a role she is totally unsuited for. She has none of the glamour or sly humor the role calls for.  I think she'd be fierce in MacDonald of Sleat, but not Wrens. I also second cobweb's vote for Georgina Pazcoguin in MoS. 

I was disappointed that they took Bouder out of Rubies this week (Saturday evening).  That is a role that suits her well.

3 minutes ago, abatt said:

I was disappointed that they took Bouder out of Rubies this week (Saturday evening).  That is a role that suits her well.

I agree, I was very much looking forward to seeing Bouder & Huxley in Rubies. But I can't complain too much since we're getting to see Hyltin in the role again!