This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT 2016 Met Season

Does ABT do a choose your own subscription like NYCB? In the past, I've never subscribed and only ordered single tickets so I could pick out my seat, but it would be nice to have the ability to exchange, should it become Hee Seo Ballet Theatre again this year (even though I really do like Seo in some things!) Right now, they are only offering by day, but it would be easier if I could just pick and choose the casts I'd like to see instead of exchanging a bunch of performances.

Does ABT do a choose your own subscription like NYCB? In the past, I've never subscribed and only ordered single tickets so I could pick out my seat, but it would be nice to have the ability to exchange, should it become Hee Seo Ballet Theatre again this year (even though I really do like Seo in some things!) Right now, they are only offering by day, but it would be easier if I could just pick and choose the casts I'd like to see instead of exchanging a bunch of performances.

Two years ago, I did a select-your-own series. This was made available I believe after the close of the standard series sales and before tickets for individual performances were open to the public. But check with the box office.

I bought a create-your-own series of 3 performances subscription two years ago and I will never do it again. ABT's exchange policy is awful. When I wanted to exchange my tickets and called the box office I was told I could only do so in person. Don't they realize they have subscribers who live on the opposite coast and for whom a trip to the box office is not a feasible option? When I finally got a manager on the line he agreed to acommodate my request but I was subjected to a new dynamic pricing on a couple of tickets. The price of the third one happened to be less than that of the original ticket and this difference was turned into a donation. I was not allowed to apply it towards the higher priced tickets. So, I personally don't see any benefits of becoming a subscriber. Not until ABT changes its outrageous exchange policy.

I bought a create-your-own series of 3 performances subscription two years ago and I will never do it again. ABT's exchange policy is awful. When I wanted to exchange my tickets and called the box office I was told I could only do so in person. Don't they realize they have subscribers who live on the opposite coast and for whom a trip to the box office is not a feasible option? When I finally got a manager on the line he agreed to acommodate my request but I was subjected to a new dynamic pricing on a couple of tickets. The price of the third one happened to be less than that of the original ticket and this difference was turned into a donation. I was not allowed to apply it towards the higher priced tickets. So, I personally don't see any benefits of becoming a subscriber. Not until ABT changes its outrageous exchange policy.

I agree completely. I posted about this a year or two ago. I had the same reaction when I tried an ABT create-your-own subscription. Even for the most popular events, I have never had trouble picking my own seats in April when single tickets go on sale. If ABT is aiming to improve cash flow and audience loyalty through subscriptions, they need to take a serious look at how other companies handle subscriptions.

I agree completely. I posted about this a year or two ago. I had the same reaction when I tried an ABT create-your-own subscription. Even for the most popular events, I have never had trouble picking my own seats in April when single tickets go on sale. If ABT is aiming to improve cash flow and audience loyalty through subscriptions, they need to take a serious look at how other companies handle subscriptions.

I agree with California, I learned my lesson a few years ago with having a subscription, picked all my shows and seats but when the week of show came up I saw all the seats that were "sold" opened up, what a pain it was to have to go to the theatre and exchange them. I take my chances now and wait, it seems the past two years I have had luck getting good seats the week before each show, but then again you do take chances of them selling out. The create your own idea is a good start but they do need to do better. I have a feeling many of the seats are blocked for whatever reason, then they are opened up last minute.

The only benefit to the select-your-own series, other than to see only the performances you want, is to lock in the price per ticket. If you don't expect to have to exchange your ticket, then it's a good deal. They begin to hike the prices for the most popular performances when single tickets go on sale and keep hiking them as the season progresses and tickets to the most coveted performances become fewer.

The dynamic pricing game can backfire for ABT. A few years ago I wanted to buy a balcony ticket for The Dream, but I resented the dynamic price increase and decided not to buy the ticket. The date I wanted came up on tdf about a week before the show, so I paid less for an incredible tdf orchestra seat than I would have paid for a dynamically priced balcony seat.

I tried the select-your-own method last year for the first time specifically to choose who/when but also to lock in the price. The only reason it worked for me is because I had the tickets mailed to my daughter in NYC who in turn went to the box office to exchange the seats for ones a little more agreeable to us. (She goes with me to many performances so this is something she's happy to do.) I grew tired of my usual Sat matinee series not being anything or anyone I wanted to see and then needing to make the trip into the city (1.5hrs) to wait in line to exchange them. I'll do the select-your-own again this year but I certainly understand how it would not work for those of you out of town and it's ridiculous that ABT makes the process so difficult.

Does ABT do a choose your own subscription like NYCB? .

Yes, it is called a Trios subscription because you have to select at least 3 performances (but can choose many more). They go on sale just after the regular series subscriptions have ended. You still get all the benefits of being a subscriber (free exchanges). This year because I REALLY wanted to see Ferri do R&J, I just decided to subscribe to that series and figure out whether I want to see the other 3 performances in that series later.

I was hoping that David Hallberg might at least return to do the Ratmansky Chamber Symphony, but that's not in the cards. ABT website updated- Whiteside is first cast in Chamber Symphony, and Cirio is listed for the second cast.

Bolshoi lists Hallberg in its London tour: http://www.roh.org.uk/about/bolshoi

May be there's hope that he'll make it to the Met season unless it's Bolshoi wishful thinking.

Puzzling information about ticket sales for the Met season: The Met Opera site for ABT says subscribers get:

• Advance Access to Individual Tickets

This is the page you get when you click "subscribe" from the calendar on the ABT site.

http://www.metopera.org/Season/Tickets/ABT-Subscription/

I don't recall a perk like that in previous years and sent an e-mail to the ABT contact listing to ask if those advance individual tickets would be available on-line or only in person at the box office. The reply: individual tickets go on sale March 20. But I thought that was the date for individual tickets sold to the general public and would be both on-line and at the box office. So I tried again -- no answer yet -- if you buy a subscription, do you get on-line access prior to March 20 to additional individual tickets and can you buy those individual tickets on-line?

This perk is not so uncommon with other American dance companies. It would be very nice if ABT would add it and I might even get a Trio package to qualify.

Has anybody else figured this out?

Puzzling information about ticket sales for the Met season: The Met Opera site for ABT says subscribers get:

This is the page you get when you click "subscribe" from the calendar on the ABT site.

I don't recall a perk like that in previous years and sent an e-mail to the ABT contact listing to ask if those advance individual tickets would be available on-line or only in person at the box office. The reply: individual tickets go on sale March 20. But I thought that was the date for individual tickets sold to the general public and would be both on-line and at the box office. So I tried again -- no answer yet -- if you buy a subscription, do you get on-line access prior to March 20 to additional individual tickets and can you buy those individual tickets on-line?

This perk is not so uncommon with other American dance companies. It would be very nice if ABT would add it and I might even get a Trio package to qualify.

I was able to order single tickets when I renewed my susbscription. I think it was by mail. Don't know if that also applies to Trios but it is definitely a perk for full subscriptions

I just received this e-mail reply from ABT - doesn't sound like you can pick your own seats, unless you have a helpful person on the phone who lets you know what's available:

"If you have already subscribed to the 2016 ABT season at the Met Opera House, you may place an additional order for individual tickets by calling the Met subscriber services at 212-362-6000. You would kindly advise the Met representative that you have placed your 2016 subscription, and once confirmed, you would be able to place the individual ticket order before the box office opens."

The last two years I have bought individual seats when I renewed because I was paranoid specific shows would sell out or prices ramp up once available to the public. You could only specify the section, no online access to choose specific seats. I'm curious if you can choose your seat if you call as in your latest post.

I only have a Monday-4 subscription and had the option to buy individual tickets. If you exchange your ticket for a more expensive seat another subscriber benefit is you pay the subscriber price, not the going market price. I saved $45 on a front row seat to the 2014 Swan Lake where Murphy had to be replaced by Seo.

Last season I only had time for three shows and the box office let me apply two subscription tickets in an exchange for one expensive seat. Not sure if that was a lucky fluke or if they will always allow it. That was an in person exchange.

One caution about subscribing is that if you donate with your subscription, you don't get on the list for the neat benefits you told me about like the dress rehearsals and company classes. Maybe because it goes through Met Opera? I dis write to the ABT development office and they fixed it the first year but ever since then I donate separately to play it safe.