This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT 2016 Met Season

McKenzie was in Washington DC at the Mariinsky's Raymonda. Perhaps scouting some talent?

If he's looking for leading men, who'd he select from among the three who appeared here (Askerov, Ivanchenko or Korsuntsev)? Not so sure...hmmm.

I really think Shyklyarov or Kimin Kim are better choice than Askerov, Ivanchenko, and Korsuntsev... at least ticket sale wise. Maybe some of the TBA will go to Gorak or Hammoudi.

It's really unfortunate because I was looking forward to seeing Lendorf's Colas.

For me, Lendorf's appearances would have been a highlight. I hope he can dance again soon.

I really hope that the Sarah Lane performance of SB is restored, and that this is just some sort of a clerical error. Although McKenzie deserves praise for finally promoting some people from within, it is very bad form to pull Lane out of one of her few lead roles.

That will definitely stink if Lane doesn't get a NY Aurora. I saw her most recent Aurora in DC and I thought that despite a few minor bobbles, she was the best ABT has to offer.

I'm too lazy to look, does anyone know if Abrera has a partner for her Memorial Day Lise yet?

For me, Lendorf's appearances would have been a highlight. I hope he can dance again soon.

I really hope that the Sarah Lane performance of SB is restored, and that this is just some sort of a clerical error. Although McKenzie deserves praise for finally promoting some people from within, it is very bad form to pull Lane out of one of her few lead roles.

I agree on both fronts abatt. Re Sarah Lane, IMO McKenzie has always cast her when a short male dancer needed a partner. It never had anything to do with her. She was cast in roles that didn't suit her because of this. Aurora does suit her but if Cornejo isn't there to do the prince Lane isn't cast as Aurora. It is as simple as that. McKenzie wouldn't understand that Lane has a following. Hee Seo all the way, a dancer I will never buy a ticket to see.

The question a lot of people are asking is "why is it always Seo?"

Okay so my aunt loves ABT, she has for decades now, and always tries to attend as many ballets as she can, especially during the MET season. Last year at least 4 of the performances she attended, for which she had bought tickets in advance, ended up with Seo as a replacement. She used to like her a little bit a few years ago, but after last year she says she is "done" watching her and isn't buying any tickets whatsoever until she is 100% sure of who will be dancing (I told her she may have to wait until the night of the show and may end up with nosebleed seats, but she doesn't care). Needless to say she was pretty pissed when I told her about Lane's Aurora getting pulled.

Lane/Cornejo are still listed on the ABT site, but they're gone on the MET site (which tends to show casting updates before the ABT site). That really sucks. I'm guessing Cornejo has other commitments in July and cancelled the last week of performances (ala Gomes last season with Cinderella).

It's a shame they couldn't find another partner for Lane. I don't see how Copeland was allowed to dance Swan Lake with Whiteside (a guy who is a foot taller than her) but they won't let Lane dance with anyone not named Cornejo, Simkin, or Gorak.

ETA: before some people jump on me for using Copeland as an example, I didn't use it as a personal attack on her. I did it because both Copeland and Lane are of similar height (maybe Copeland an inch or half an inch taller) so I don't see why they couldn't have the same partners (both short AND tall). Yeah. I know it looks awkward when you partner is that much taller than you. But if I were a dancer I'll take awkwardness any day if it means I get one chance at a leading role on a big stage this year.

Lane is still listed for July 1st so maybe we still have hope? It did take me a while to locate the Met listing but finally see what everyone is talking about ... Side note: This may just be my old self with the new technology moving faster than me :) I don't like the new Met site as it gets confusing to locate lists compared to the old site!

I also did notice that Copeland is not on the list for the SB listing for the season, so perhaps after Detroit they will see ticket sales to make that decision for NYC? I too am not saying this in a good or bad way, just sad to see Lane replaced as she is and always has been a beautiful dancer IMO, my family and I loved her last in Spectra! I am not one for tricks and instead I love the emotions a dancer can bring out in me, and honestly not many has been able to do that after the retired trio :( I, too, hope they change their minds about Lane!

Perhaps they're saving the "Lane slot" for Kochetkova as Aurora? That's more likely than saving it for Copeland. The entire situation with Lane is bizarre and sad. I also would have expected her to have a possible Juliet debut at Wolf Trap in July but that isn't happening.

About the TBD for Hee Seo's partner in SB, I have a secret wish for that to be Kim Kimin. All-Korean power pair, oh yeah! :)

For now Seo is scheduled for two Auroras opposite Hammoudi. She hasn't yet been assigned a partner for the final performance. At least she's due to get one day off between her first and second performances, but asking her to do three Auroras over four days at the tail end of the season is asking an awful lot.

These are the differences in casting between the ABT and Met sites. Six TBAs have been filled, four new TBAs have appeared, three previous TBAs remain unfilled, and apparently one cast has been changed entirely.

May 11m (Aminta) - Lendorf → TBA

May 11e (Aminta) - TBA → Hoven

May 14e (Aminta) - Lendorf → TBA

May 24 (Colas) - Lendorf → Cirio

May 26 (Colas) - TBA → Whiteside

May 27 (Colas) - Lendorf → Cirio

May 30 (Colas) - TBA → Whiteside

June 1e (Conrad) - Lendorf → TBA

June 3 (Lankendem) - Lendorf → Cirio; (Ali) - still TBA

June 4m (Conrad) - Lendorf → TBA

June 22m (Romeo) - TBA → Whiteside

June 22e (Romeo) - TBA → Hammoudi

June 25m (Romeo) - still TBA (w/Copeland)

June 29e (Désiré) -TBA → Hammoudi

July 1 (Aurora) - Lane → Seo; (Désiré) - Cornejo → Hammoudi

July 2e (Désiré) - still TBA (w/Seo)

OK. So I'm disappointed that Whiteside has inherited the Lendorf Colas performances. Why not someone like Aaron Scott for that role? I think he would be quite splendid. MO

The question a lot of people are asking is "why is it always Seo?"

Okay so my aunt loves ABT, she has for decades now, and always tries to attend as many ballets as she can, especially during the MET season. Last year at least 4 of the performances she attended, for which she had bought tickets in advance, ended up with Seo as a replacement. She used to like her a little bit a few years ago, but after last year she says she is "done" watching her and isn't buying any tickets whatsoever until she is 100% sure of who will be dancing (I told her she may have to wait until the night of the show and may end up with nosebleed seats, but she doesn't care). Needless to say she was pretty pissed when I told her about Lane's Aurora getting pulled.

Yes, I feel the same way about Seo....still cannot believe she did three R&J's in one week last season :happy: Unusual for me, I do not have tickets yet for this coming NY season...once bitten, twice shy!

OK. So I'm disappointed that Whiteside has inherited the Lendorf Colas performances. Why not someone like Aaron Scott for that role? I think he would be quite splendid. MO

I was wondering the exact same thing. Why not Scott? Or Forster?

Lane has also danced with Gorak, and quite successfully (Nutcracker, The Tempest....). If Cornejo has other commitments that now prevent him from dancing SB, why not pair Lane w/ Gorak, and partner Boylston with Forster. I think Forster may be a bit too tall for Lane and I think he'd make a wonderful Prince.

Lane has also danced with Gorak, and quite successfully (Nutcracker, The Tempest....). If Cornejo has other commitments that now prevent him from dancing SB, why not pair Lane w/ Gorak, and partner Boylston with Forster. I think Forster may be a bit too tall for Lane and I think he'd make a wonderful Prince.

I second this and also curious about the comment on Cornejo with other commitments here?! Sorry if I sound ignorant here but isn't that what contracts govern for the season? Or do principals have a different set of rules?

I'm not a huge Lane fan (although she could carry Lise). And Gorak just isn't much of an actor.....yet. But now that you mention Forster, I'd like to see him dance Alain (he IS a good actor) and see Scott paired with Skylar Brandt for the Lise/Colas roles. Also, hoping that Roman Zhurbin gets a crack at Alain. But obviously, Craig will do Alain and probably over act it! MO

At the first announcement of casting for the 2016 Met season, I was cheered by the fact that McKenzie seemed to be more egalitarian. All the of the ballerina roles were equitably shared by all the principals. (Of course there are always some shattering disappointments - no Stella Abrera "Swan Lake", no Veronika Part "Sylvia", no Kochetkova Lise in "Fille") Now this rearrangement has reverted everything back to the old "Hee Seo Ballet Theater" model. Why give Hee Seo three Auroras when Abrera, Trenary and Murphy (a bigger box office attraction) are only getting one performance each? Why was Sarah Lane being dropped from her one performance of Aurora instead of assigning Gorak or even Simkin as her partner? Why is Seo the only possible replacement for that show even if it means having her dance three performances in four days? WHY???

Update - the current Metropolitan Opera website page for "Sleeping Beauty" shows Lane still dancing Aurora on July 1st with Cornejo.

http://www.metopera.org/Season/2016-ABT/The-Sleeping-Beauty/

Lendorf's La Fille performances were reassigned to Cirio. Whiteside is dancing with Abrera, is he not? Those were TBA for awhile.

So I guess this means that McKenzie has determined that Gorak isn't getting another crack at Romeo this season.

Given that Lendorf hasn't returned yet, perhaps McKenzie's keeping Gorak's schedule open in case a replacement becomes necessary late in the season for Swan Lake, etc.? (Although I do hope that Lendorf returns...I really want to see him live.)

I'm curious about how the new Ratmansky work is affecting casting, too: each of the five movements of the Bernstein piece is named after a (male) speaker in the Symposium. If the dance was originally intended as a showpiece for the older and younger male dancers of the company--which wouldn't have been a bad idea before Lendorf and Hallberg got injured--some of the up-and-comers may be building that. (He's already serving the company's women in Firebird and The Golden Cockerel.)

I bet Hoven will be good in Sylvia: Aminta suits his strengths like a glove.

Given that Lendorf hasn't returned yet, perhaps McKenzie's keeping Gorak's schedule open in case a replacement becomes necessary late in the season for Swan Lake, etc.? (Although I do hope that Lendorf returns...I really want to see him live.)

I'm curious about how the new Ratmansky work is affecting casting, too: each of the five movements of the Bernstein piece is named after a (male) speaker in the Symposium. If the dance was originally intended as a showpiece for the older and younger male dancers of the company--which wouldn't have been a bad idea before Lendorf and Hallberg got injured--some of the up-and-comers may be building that. (He's already serving the company's women in Firebird and The Golden Cockerel.)

I bet Hoven will be good in Sylvia: Aminta suits his strengths like a glove.

Yes. I think Hoven is due for a push upward. He's made much progress in recent months. Plus, he's a good "mid-height" choice for more leading roles.

Does anyone know when single tickets go on sale for non-subscribers?

I agree with others that Hoven has been looking great in recent seasons and I think he's perfectly suited to Aminta.

I worry about Hammoudi as Prince Desire. He hasn't really risen to the challenge in recent principal roles, and I can't imagine him pulling off the fiendishly difficult variation in the last act. But he's always a dancer that I've rooted for, so I wish him the best.

Does anyone know when single tickets go on sale for non-subscribers?

I agree with others that Hoven has been looking great in recent seasons and I think he's perfectly suited to Aminta.

I worry about Hammoudi as Prince Desire. He hasn't really risen to the challenge in recent principal roles, and I can't imagine him pulling off the fiendishly difficult variation in the last act. But he's always a dancer that I've rooted for, so I wish him the best.

ABT's "Pointe of View" eNewsletter says that the box office opens on March 20th at 12 noon. This makes sense since the subscriber exchange week runs from 3/13 - 3/19.