This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT 2016 Met Season

Looks like they are charging more for the subscription which contains the Ferri Cornejo R&J than for other weeknight subscriptions containing the same number of performances.

This is a new pricing dynamic. They have charged more in the past for the farewell performances, but they have never automatically charged a higher price at the outset for a guest artist appearance before any dynamic pricing went into effect. This is a disturbing trend.

Looks like they are charging more for the subscription which contains the Ferri Cornejo R&J than for other weeknight subscriptions containing the same number of performances.

This is a new pricing dynamic. They have charged more in the past for the farewell performances, but they have never automatically charged a higher price at the outset for a guest artist appearance before any dynamic pricing went into effect. This is a disturbing trend.

The partnership of the inimitable Ferri and The Great Cornejo is in a class by itself, and isn't what I would call "guest artists." This evening will sell out the house, even at the higher price. I will help it along.

The partnership of the inimitable Ferri and The Great Cornejo is in a class by itself, and isn't what I would call "guest artists." This evening will sell out the house, even at the higher price. I will help it along.

You may not think of Ferri as a guest artist, but ABT does. She is classified as a guest artist in the ABT press release that announced her Juliet performance. How about alumna guest artist.

Ms. Ferri's special status with ABT suggests that the pricing for this event may not be a trend that will be followed for all guest artists. (...And so far, they have not scheduled other guest artists.)

Ms. Ferri's special status with ABT suggests that the pricing for this event may not be a trend that will be followed for all guest artists. (...And so far, they have not scheduled other guest artists.)

Since they're not doing La Bayadere that helps cut down on the "need" for guest artists. But, of course there's plenty of time for an announcement (or two, or three). At this point, a Met season without guest artists (and I'm not including Ferri) is like a Met season without a full length ballet. I'm wondering if they're waiting for Hallberg to commit. I can't find any Bolshoi events that conflict w/ ABT's Met season, but maybe Hallberg thinks he still won't be healed by then. There are many male TBA's on the calendar. They could be waiting for Hallberg, commitment from other guest artists, and perhaps holding out hope Hammoudi will improve by then. It'll be interesting to see how it all comes together.

I noticed that the press release lists Hallberg as one of the company members for the 2016 Met Season. He has had so many cancellations due to injury over the past few years, that they probably are very hesitant to now list him for any role. I suspect that they are, indeed, using the wait and see approach as to whether he can come back.

Persoally, I find the lack of guest artists for the season disappointing. Many on ABT's own roster are just not interesting to me. More time for NYCB, I guess.

I'm thrilled with the lack of guest artists. Don't get me wrong, I loved Shyklarov and Nunez last year. But I'm super excited to see Cassandra Trenary get an Aurora! I wish they'd give more opportunities for the up and comers. I know NYCB performs more repertoire pieces (hence more opportunities for the young folks) but they gave an apprentice the lead in Midsummer last year. That is the way to develop the future!!! Though i get that it is harder for ABT with all of the full lengths and so many principal dancers to keep busy. I will be at Trenary's performance though, cheering on the future of ABT, happy to see them giving a chance to one of their own!

I'm having a rough time with ABT right now. I won't go to see their production of Sleeping Beauty again. I don't care who is doing it. It was interesting as a historical experience but has too many flaws to sit through again. So much of Ratmansky leaves me unsatisfied. Seven Sonatas and Firebird are out of the question for me. I'll go see Golden Cockerel. I was hoping Lane would get La Fille. She didn't so I think Murphy is the best bet.

I don't see ABT filling the Met with what they are offering. More and more I am going to NYCB.

I agree with Kaysta.

While I don't think the Spring season will be reliably enjoyable, I'm interested in it for that very reason. While I've enjoyed returning to see the same (now-retired) senior dancers and guest artists for a few years, I'm pretty ready to see some new works (as long as they're dramatic and balletic) and quite excited to scope out their younger dancers.

I don't expect ABT's mid-career dancers to change much--and as I like most of them, I'm happy with that--but I think some of the younger dancers are going to be major artists. There's the same pressure cooker that was in play at NYCB when Bouder, Mearns, and Peck were developing a few years ago (even though the company overall was in the doldrums): a small clutch of young allegro technicians competing for the same rep (and driving up technical expectations company-wide in the process) + an unusually large dose of stagecraft (the Robbins season and full-lengths) + a mess of new choreography (good or bad). I love knowing that I saw Bouder, Mearns, and Peck from their earliest days...I fully expect to feel the same about the new crop at ABT.

I don't see ABT filling the Met with what they are offering.

Agree. The only performances that will sell out are the Ferri Cornejo R&J and any show in which Copeland appears. The Vishneva R&J's will sell well.

Perhaps ABT has concluded that they don't need to hire guest artists because Copeland will fill the house on enough nights to boost ticket sales.

Well opinions differ, but I do remember a lot of outcry on here about too many guest artists and not enough opportunities for the home team. Now folks are disappointed there aren't enough guest artists. It seems that McKenzie can't win.

I am more excited about ABT's upcoming Spring season than I think I have ever been. I just don't know how I will afford my interest! The only ballet I plan to skip entirely is Corsaire. (I agree with Alastair on that one.)

In my opinion Alexi Ratmansky is without doubt the most significant choreographer in ballet today. Isn't it great that ABT has a serious resident choreographer. Let's celebrate! I applaud him for maintaining the relevance of narrative ballet with revivals (some looser than others) and new works. So I'm looking forward to all the Ratmansky evenings and the premiere, but especially the Golden Cockrel. When I received my brochure with Skylar Brandt pictured in the titular role, my excitement grew. I echo Kaysta's sentiments about the importance of providing opportunities to young folks. (Trenary is dancing this role too.) The season brochure also reminded me how fantastic Seminova and Gomes were in Symphony #9. That was a memorable performance for me. I'm glad they're bringing the Trilogy back, and I plan to see each cast. Firebird was a complete no-brainer, since Copeland missed her chance to dance it in NYC due to injury, and her promotion has brought new audiences and attention to ABT.

Sleeping Beauty is a wonderful vehicle for the company, and an exceptional tribute to Petipa and Bakst. In this revival he did what the Marinsky couldn't or wouldn't do. It's daring in its restraint and gorgeous in its excess. Moreover, no matter what type of work he is presenting, Ratmansky brings out the best in the dancers. The commitment and effort he derives from them is noticeable onstage, but also evident in their comments in interviews and social media. I saw three performances of Sleeping Beauty last year, and each seemed to sell very well. (I couldn't even get a standing room spot for Isabella Boylston's Aurora)

Speaking of Boylston, I'm very excited for her Sylvia debut (correct me if she has danced this role before). I remember seeing Paloma Herrera as Sylvia a few years back, and it was so sad and noticeable how Boylston and Messmer out-danced her. I wish I could have seen Simone Messmer get this chance, but I'm glad Boylston gets to do it twice this season. I think she will provide the attack, exuberance, and jumping power this ballet demands. I don't, however, think it will suit Hee Seo at all. I believe Veronika Part danced Sylvia in the past, but I did not see her performance. She is not cast this season. I found this curious.

I can't even imagine Hee Seo as Sylvia. She does not have the technique for this role. This was definitely odd casting. The only way I would see that performance would be if her TBA partner is someone absolutely amazing.

Having gotten more Hee Seo last season than I ever wanted or expected, I doubt I will go to any of her performances this season.

For me, the highlights of last season included Kimin Kim, Shkylarov, Obratsova, Nunez and the Osipova Giselle. While I support giving opportunities to the home team, most of the home ABT team players are not in the same league as the world class artists that are invited to the ABT Spring season every season. Over an 8 week season, there is room for both the home team players and a few amazing guest artists.

As the NY Times points out on a regular basis, every Spring ABT has been the envy of the ballet world due to the stunning guest artists who appear here. I don't think that's the case this season.

Abatt, I do believe that guest artists are hired in somewhat later in the game. Last year all the Russians that went into "La Bayadere" were announced only a few months before the season started. Also, guest artists have been brought in to replace injured principals. The casting for the Met 2015 season changed a lot late in the game and throughout the season due to guest artist additions/subtractions and the injuries effecting Hallberg, Semionova and Osipova. Plus this season ABT has acquired two new international principals taken from other companies - Kochetkova and Lendorf - who need to be given new assignments which might otherwise have gone to guests. I agree that the male TBA spots in the Shostakovich Trilogy Chamber Symphony section, R&J, Sylvia, Firebird and Sleeping Beauty are being kept open for a projected Hallberg return.

What I do notice is that this season with all the Ratmansky there is less reliance on so many classical full-lengths. (This in my book is not a bad thing - ABT didn't revive the complete Shostakovich Trilogy after premiering it to critical raves) The classical full-lengths in standard international versions are the most practical spot for the foreign guest artists to be squeezed in. Since there is no "Bayadere" or "Giselle" or "Don Quixote" during the Met season and more "Golden Cockerel", the non-standard Ratmansky "Sleeping Beauty", the Shostakovich Trilogy and the Ratmansky mixed bill - not so many spots for a Shklyarov, Nunez, Kimin Kim or Obraztsova. Like the stylistically and choreographically unique Ratmansky "Beauty", the McKenzie "Swan Lake" isn't exactly guest artist friendly either because of the non-standard fourth act. "Le Corsaire", "Romeo and Juliet" and to a more limited extent "La Fille Mal Gardée" or "Sylvia" (RB dancers like Nunez or Steven McCrae could guest in the Ashton full-lengths for example) are the most likely candidates for a guest artist jump in especially if Hallberg does not feel ready to dance classical full-lengths by the Spring of next year.

BTW DeCoster: Part did dance a Wednesday matinee of "Sylvia" with Gomes who replaced an injured Cory Stearns at the last minute. Veronika was ravishing in the role - it is a great shame she is not being given an opportunity to dance it again. She would be infinitely better than Hee Seo who doesn't have the strong feet and ankles for all the multiple pirouettes and turning required in the part. Boylston is strong in those areas and if she gets some good coaching in her port de bras she will do well. Vishneva also danced a lovely Sylvia with ABT and created a role in the Piano Concerto #1 section of the Shostakovich Trilogy but hasn't been invited to repeat either.

There is a little less of the "Hee Seo Ballet Theatre" syndrome this year - Seo isn't getting a disproportional number of opening nights (only R&J) and is no more prominent than Boylston, Copeland or Murphy. The casting in general seems more balanced with equal work loads being given to all the principals. Also with Vishneva only dancing Juliet and nothing else, no Osipova or other guest artists and more reliance on the home team, it is a lot less starry.

This season is actually the answer to many BT posters' prayers regarding their complaints about the previous two seasons - too many guest artists, more Ratmansky, not enough Ashton - bring back "La Fille", Part only being given matinees and no new roles, Abrera being neglected and slighted as an underused soloist who is overdue for promotion, too much Hee Seo in everything and not enough opportunities being given to talented soloist and corps dancers. Now we are being given what we asked for and we are complaining. This season may be a necessary corrective to McKenzie's previous policies and predilections.

This season is actually the answer to many posters prayers regarding their complaints about the previous two seasons - too many guest artists, not enough Ashton especially "La Fille", Part only being given matinees and no new roles, Abrera being neglected and slighted as an underused soloist who is overdue for promotion, too much Hee Seo in everything and not enough opportunities being given to talented soloist and corps dancers. Now we are being given what we asked for and we are complaining. This season may be a necessary corrective to McKenzie's previous policies and predilections.

Well, I'm not complaining. :)

Hopefully, we won't see a plethora of injuries like last season, and heaven forbid that happens again, I also hope that Hee Seo isn't the replacement for nearly everyone.

Vishneva also danced a lovely Sylvia with ABT and created a role in the Piano Concerto #1 section of the Shostakovich Trilogy but hasn't been invited to repeat either.

I wouldn't assume she wasn't invited to perform the roles. Vishneva seems to be winding down her involvement in classical ballet, including even the long skirt ballets. I think McKenzie would cast her in any role she wanted. She sells tickets. She gave up Sylvia after one season, just like she is giving up the Ratmansky SB after one season. She must feel that they are too difficult for her.

Or she feels that the prep needed for them is not where she wants to expend her energy. Dancers speak about how modern/contemporary work uses different muscles and mixing classical ballet with contemporary rep can make them more prone to injury.

She's at a point in her career where she can pick and choose and do what interests and fulfills her.

I do believe that guest artists are hired in somewhat later in the game. Last year all the Russians that went into "La Bayadere" were announced only a few months before the season started. Also, guest artists have been brought in to replace injured principals. The casting for the Met 2015 season changed a lot late in the game and throughout the season due to guest artist additions/subtractions and the injuries effecting Hallberg, Semionova and Osipova.

The October 16, 2014, announcement of the 2015 spring season for ABT included the following: Guest Artists for the season include Semyon Chudin, principal dancer with the Bolshoi Ballet, Maria Kochetkova, principal dancer with San Francisco Ballet, Denys Nedak, soloist with the National Ballet of Ukraine, Marianela Nuñez, principal dancer with The Royal Ballet, Evgenia Obraztsova, principal dancer with the Bolshoi Ballet, Natalia Osipova, principal dancer with The Royal Ballet and Olga Smirnova, leading soloist with the Bolshoi Ballet.

So having Ms. Ferri as the only guest artist on the schedule at this point is a big change from last year, even if the situation is subject to change.

This season is actually the answer to many BT posters' prayers regarding their complaints about the previous two seasons - too many guest artists, more Ratmansky, not enough Ashton - bring back "La Fille", Part only being given matinees and no new roles, Abrera being neglected and slighted as an underused soloist who is overdue for promotion, too much Hee Seo in everything and not enough opportunities being given to talented soloist and corps dancers. Now we are being given what we asked for and we are complaining. This season may be a necessary corrective to McKenzie's previous policies and predilections.

I totally agree, Faux Pas. I have been one of the complainers and was thrilled the see the casting for the spring season. Stella Abrera's promotion to Principal Dancer is a dream come true for me, and I'd been waiting with bated breath to see which ballets she'd be cast in. I'm glad that she's been given two Filles, two Golden Cockerels, in addition to Seven Sonatas and second lead in Corsaire, a role I believe she has danced before.The icing on the cake is her Sleeping Beauty with Gomes, which for me will be the highlight of the season, in addition to the Ferri/Cornejo R&J. I'm glad that Part has some evening performances, although I wish she had a better partner for her signature Swan Lake.

In future seasons I would love to see Stella in R&J, at least two Giselles per season, Bayadere, maybe Swan Lake. After all she's been through, I believe that woman can do anything.

The only "international guest artist" I will miss is Evgenia Obraztsova, whose Juliet last season with Cornejo was deeply moving and utterly divine.

Angelica I am not hating on Whiteside as much as some other posters - previously he has done well as Veronika's partner in "La Bayadere" and in "Don Quixote". Frankly, anyone would be better than Cory as her Siegfried. Whiteside at least seems another adult with just enough personality and force to match hers. Yes, Bolle would be the ideal partner but Hee Seo seems to have an exclusive lock on him in "Swan Lake". Ratmansky has always looked after Veronika at ABT and I notice she is cast in all his programs and even gets the opening night cast of "Golden Cockerel". So with all that Ratmansky (Shostakovich/Golden Cockerel/Seven Sonatas) she will be busier than usual though she doesn't get to repeat "Sylvia" which as I said is really a loss.

I also wish ABT had given Abrera a "Swan Lake" but who knows - maybe things will change before the season starts. Abrera was never supposed to dance Giselle last season but that happened - I don't know how but it did!

But really a "like" :clapping::thumbsup: on all your other comments.

most of the home ABT team players are not in the same league as the world class artists that are invited to the ABT Spring season every season. Over an 8 week season, there is room for both the home team players and a few amazing guest artists.

Not trying to be argumentative, but I don't think they'll ever get to be world class artists unless they are given the opportunity to excel on their home stage. And I don't think there are a lot of opportunities for the home team. Several of the dancers (including some of the recent retirees) have complained that it's hard to hone their artistry when only given one O/O a year. Again, I'm thrilled with the lack of guest artists. I wish that more of the younger folks were cast, such as Brandt as Lise. But compared to previous seasons, I'm really ecstatic (I also love the Ratmansky stuff, DeCoster, and can't wait to see the Golden Cockerel, Shostakovich Trilogy and more Sleeping Beauty--Stella and Cassandra as Aurora, YAY!)

Also makes me wonder how much say Rachel Moore had in the guest artist policy? We all remember that infamous YouTube video about the "star strategy."

Angelica I am not hating on Whiteside as much as some other posters - previously he has done well as Veronika's partner in "La Bayadere" and in "Don Quixote". Frankly, anyone would be better than Cory as her Siegfried. Whiteside at least seems another adult with just enough personality and force to match hers. Yes, Bolle would be the ideal partner but Hee Seo seems to have an exclusive lock on him in "Swan Lake". Ratmansky has always looked after Veronika at ABT and I notice she is cast in all his programs and even gets the opening night cast of "Golden Cockerel". So with all that Ratmansky (Shostakovich/Golden Cockerel/Seven Sonatas) she will be busier than usual though she doesn't get to repeat "Sylvia" which as I said is really a loss.

I also wish ABT had given Abrera a "Swan Lake" but who knows - maybe things will change before the season starts. Abrera was never supposed to dance Giselle last season but that happened - I don't know how but it did!

But really a "like" :clapping::thumbsup: on all your other comments.

Thanks, Faux Pas, that's sweet. I know what you mean about Veronika's partner in Swan Lake. Right now there is no one at ABT (with the exception of Bolle) who can partner her well and also dance well. I understand that Whiteside is a great partner, but as a dancer, at least for me, he falls very short. Now there would be an opportunity for an international guest artist--to partner Veronika in Swan Lake. I just think that Whiteside is not Principal material--he dances very stiffly and makes the difficult parts look difficult, which is not the idea.

I didn't expect that Stella would get a Swan Lake this season, but maybe next. As for Stella getting Giselle, my understanding is that she had danced Giselle in the Philippines, with Whiteside I believe, and then had the opportunity to dance it again in Australia, for which she was coached by ABT's Artistic Director. So when the opening came up, she was certainly a contender.

Cory is so adorable and has a beautiful ballet line. If ABT would give him major acting lessons, they might have a real principal on their hands!

I think the Copeland Mania is a game changer for ABT as far as ticket sales. Regardless of what anyone may think of her dancing, it seems clear that she sells more tickets than almost any guest artist would. Why pay someone a guest artist fee when you can make a bundle with someone already on salary at ABT? They know she is box office gold. Why do you think they published the fall Koch Theater casting so early- earlier than they ever have since they started giving fall season programs?

Did anyone else notice that ABT now lists several Sleeping Beauty performances at the Detroit Opera House on its calendar for Mar 31 through Apr 3?

It's great for the dancers--between this, DC, LA, and last year's Met, I can't remember when they've had so many opportunities to refine the same role in a single year. No casting yet, but one imagines Trenary will get one performance as a warm-up, as ABT's management doesn't usually debut new soloists in leads at the Met. (Abrera did Sleeping Beauty several times in New Zealand, so the other performances are more of a question mark.)