This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2023-2024 Season

11 hours ago, Papagena said:

I suppose there are no shortage of musicians in NYC able to fill in any empty spots - does anyone know how that works at nycb? 

I feel a bit shallow saying 'oh, phew' but I cannot imagine Jewels without a live orchestra. 

The orchestra is not on strike. They are playing for all performances.  The orchestra reached an agreement with management that lasts through the end of this fall season. They were demonstrating in front of the theater and a crew from Eyewitness News was there to cover it. 

The evening was really magnificent. Fabulous debits from Indiana Woodward and Tyler Angle in  Emeralds. Wendy said there were 250 alums there and they all came onstage for the final bow. In the front Suzanne Farrell was in a white jacket, next to Lourdes Lopez in a long red dress. Heather Watts in black with sensible shoes. 
Merrill Ashley led Patricia McBride who was helping Edward Villella. Suki Schorer and Kay Mazzo were also among those in the front. I saw Amar Ramasar, Nikolai Hubbe, Alexei Ratmansky , Darla Hoover and Christopher Wheeldon in the audience but I couldn’t name all 250!

If you pass by the theater before Oct 1, the slow motion films run beginning at 7 pm each night. 

9 hours ago, FPF said:

David Michael (Wendy Whelan's husband) did an installation a while back (maybe 10 years ago?) called "Slow Dancing," which showed dancers from a variety of dance genres in extremely slow motion--I would guess that this could be his work.

The lead photo in this article includes the following caption:

To open the season, the company is projecting a rotating array of slow-motion dance videos by David Michalek outside the theater.

9 hours ago, FPF said:

David Michael (Wendy Whelan's husband) did an installation a while back (maybe 10 years ago?) called "Slow Dancing," which showed dancers from a variety of dance genres in extremely slow motion--I would guess that this could be his work.

You are correct; this is the work of Wendy Whelan's husband, but his name is David Michalek.

A lovely article by Russell Janzen in the Times, reflecting on his retirement. (Share link should work for non-subscribers without subtracting from your monthly limit.)

I love his description of the moment near the end of Diamonds that always gives me goosebumps, even just when listening to the music and imagining the dance:

“Diamonds” ends in an epic display of grandiosity and classicism. Thirty-six dancers move in shifting patterns — turning, jumping, and polonaising around the stage. In one of the last moments the entire cast moves in unison. All the dancers unfurl a leg into an extended line in front of them, foot pointed and rotated, displayed for the audience: Look at our feet and our legs, look at these bodies of ours. Watch us dance and see how this life, our dedication, and our passion has shaped us.

Edited by nanushka

I find it disconcerting that a great number of former NYCB dancers who were very outspoken about the various problems that they have with NYCB as an institution and its negative impact on their life, gushed on Instagram about how proud they are to have been part of such an amazing legacy. I can imagine that its thrilling (and frankly, ego-boosting) to be honored as an alumnus of such a select group. That (and a deep reverence for Balanchine) was likely the draw to attend such a momentous occasion. However, this behavior is the epitome of talking out of both sides of your mouth. 

I'm not on IG generally, but I don't think that sounds disconcerting at all. Life is complex. Feelings are complex. Institutions are complex. I would find it strange if the criticisms they'd expressed in the past completely drained all pride and love from their decades of experience.

Maybe I haven't followed closely enough how statements made the past contrast with those made now, but it seems completely, understandably human to me.

3 hours ago, Rose said:

I find it disconcerting that a great number of former NYCB dancers who were very outspoken about the various problems that they have with NYCB as an institution and its negative impact on their life, gushed on Instagram about how proud they are to have been part of such an amazing legacy. I can imagine that its thrilling (and frankly, ego-boosting) to be honored as an alumnus of such a select group. That (and a deep reverence for Balanchine) was likely the draw to attend such a momentous occasion. However, this behavior is the epitome of talking out of both sides of your mouth. 

Are you implying that their criticisms were falsely made?

On a more negative note about last night, I could do without the speeches, no matter the occasion. I find these self-serving and cringey. Also, the company seems to be loosening the standards for weight, and in some cases technique as well. I for one don't like it. 

2 hours ago, Novice123 said:

Are you implying that their criticisms were falsely made?

No, I think their criticisms are true. They gave their heart and soul to that institution and it was their entire existence for a time. But many dancers were treated like cans of paint that were drying up and needed to be tossed or colors that weren't ever wanted at all. If, after everything that's said and done, and the years have rolled by, the final outcome is great joy and happiness for a memorable life-lived, then your experience wasn't that bad. It was mostly good. Just because you feel a certain way at a certain time doesn't mean you need to share it with the world and disparage an institution whose very existence is amazing in the first place. Maybe wait a few years, let the dust settle, and then decide how you really feel.

On another note, I think it's in extremely poor taste for Ashley Bouder to bring her daughter up on stage for the bow (and to the party on the promenade if she did that too, not sure). Just think if everyone brought their kids what a mad house it would be! I think this is another example of her narcissism -- the rules don't apply to her and her daughter is merely an extension of her own self. 

28 minutes ago, Rose said:

On another note, I think it's in extremely poor taste for Ashley Bouder to bring her daughter up on stage for the bow (and to the party on the promenade if she did that too, not sure). Just think if everyone brought their kids what a mad house it would be! I think this is another example of her narcissism -- the rules don't apply to her and her daughter is merely an extension of her own self. 

This - EXACTLY.   Little Violet did not belong on the stage at a curtain call intended to honor alumni.  This wasn't a rehearsal room.   Bouder's sense of entitlement is breathtaking. 

Edited by abatt
59 minutes ago, Rose said:

No, I think their criticisms are true. They gave their heart and soul to that institution and it was their entire existence for a time. But many dancers were treated like cans of paint that were drying up and needed to be tossed or colors that weren't ever wanted at all. If, after everything that's said and done, and the years have rolled by, the final outcome is great joy and happiness for a memorable life-lived, then your experience wasn't that bad. It was mostly good. Just because you feel a certain way at a certain time doesn't mean you need to share it with the world and disparage an institution whose very existence is amazing in the first place. Maybe wait a few years, let the dust settle, and then decide how you really feel.

My sense of the event is that it was a loving tribute to George Balanchine and his legacy. This was not the time to revisit old wounds among individuals. 

I did notice the absence of former members of the company who departed for other companies -- Stiefel, Kirkland, Baryshnikov. Perhaps they no longer feel part of the family.

1 hour ago, Rose said:

Judging from Bouder's IG account, she staged lots of pictures with the daughter and alums from the company. Awkward!!

1 hour ago, abatt said:

This - EXACTLY.   Little Violet did not belong on the stage at a curtain call intended to honor alumni.  This wasn't a rehearsal room.   Bouder's sense of entitlement is breathtaking. 

Bizarre and inappropriate. But quite frankly, is anyone surprised? Tonight will be interesting.

2 hours ago, Rose said:

So, you're saying that they shouldn't have made those criticism public?  So, if somebody did you wrongly, your advice would be to wait a few years and see how you feel?   Are you saying that those dancers who showed up and posted positive posts on social media should now publicly say that they were wrong to criticized NYCB and that they are sorry for the harm they've caused to this "great institution"?  If so, I think I would follow Trump's example, and sue all these ex-dancers for defamation and make them penniless.  

6 minutes ago, cobweb said:

Is that Suzanne Farrell in the white jacket? I notice that she alone remains impassive in the midst of the celebration. 

That's not how Gia Kourlas saw it:

Farrell, amid the cheers and waves, pressed her fingertips together and cast her eyes downward. Her solemnity was striking.

There’s a great moving panorama right now on Wendy’s Instagram.  In this, Suzanne looks quite cheerful.  There are also a lot of post-curtain images out there with a very engaged Suzanne congratulating Sarah and Russell, chatting w alums.  I was thrilled to be there and it was a banging opener for the season, but it was very special and a somewhat overwhelming for the decades of dancers.  From talking with a couple of current dancers, it was like a surreal dream having all that history in one room.

The union's real leverage comes with Nutcracker season. That's when they can ratchet up the pressure on management to the maximum extent, as Nutcracker season is the company's cash cow. If they do strike, it's almost irrelevant if the dancers honor the strike or not because the stage crew would most certainly honor it.

1 hour ago, Novice123 said:

So, you're saying that they shouldn't have made those criticism public?  So, if somebody did you wrongly, your advice would be to wait a few years and see how you feel?   Are you saying that those dancers who showed up and posted positive posts on social media should now publicly say that they were wrong to criticized NYCB and that they are sorry for the harm they've caused to this "great institution"?  If so, I think I would follow Trump's example, and sue all these ex-dancers for defamation and make them penniless.  

Yes, mostly. Many people and institutions have done me wrong and I haven't shared it with the world. If I had, it would be wrong of me to turn back around and celebrate those people or institutions so I could experience a moment of glory. Your last statement is an over-reaction and I don't agree with it. 

48 minutes ago, KikiRVA said:

There’s a great moving panorama right now on Wendy’s Instagram.  In this, Suzanne looks quite cheerful.  There are also a lot of post-curtain images out there with a very engaged Suzanne congratulating Sarah and Russell, chatting w alums.  I was thrilled to be there and it was a banging opener for the season, but it was very special and a somewhat overwhelming for the decades of dancers.  From talking with a couple of current dancers, it was like a surreal dream having all that history in one room.

I appreciate all the reports and am intrigued and grateful for all the photos and video on social media. Does anyone know if Suzi Pilarre was there, or either of the Neary sisters?