This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

New York City Ballet 2022-2023 season

I would have preferred to see Carabosse performed by a man, like Russell Janzen.  I get the feeling they wanted to throw an extra little paycheck Maria's way.

There was no way they would deprive Phelan of Aurora.  She is cast in everything. 

Edited by abatt
18 minutes ago, abatt said:

I would have preferred to see Carabosse performed by a man, like Russell Janzen.

Martins' Carabosse has always been danced by one of the company's ballerina's, no? (And usually one of the senior principals, although there have been exceptions like Marika Anderson, who was terrific.) I think it's important to the spirit of the production that Carabosse be as glamorous as she is scary. (Not that a man in drag can't be glamorous, I hasten to add, but in ballet men are usually cast as women to drain as much glamour out of the role as possible.) One of the big surprises of the production's premiere was just how fabulous Merrill Ashley's Carabosse turned out to be. And as much as I love Janzen, I'm not sure he's got the "I just LOVE being a villain" dramatic chops to pull it off. 

Now Gilbert Bolden might be another matter ... 😉

ETA: Why would you want to see Carabosse performed by a man? For contrast with the Lilac Fairy?

Edited by Kathleen O'Connell

I agree that Von Enck was robbed although ABT and European companies have been casting taller Auroras for years. Has NYCB ever had a tall Aurora? The only dancer I remember seeing in the role back in the 2000s was Yvonne Borrée (very petite). I have tickets for a LaFreniere show and will try to reserve judgement until I see how she does. If anything, she and Phelan are more in the mold of the Disney Aurora than the short brunettes! :)

30 minutes ago, Kathleen O'Connell said:

Martins' Carabosse has always been danced by one of the company's ballerina's, no? (And usually one of the senior principals, although there have been exceptions like Marika Anderson, who was terrific.) I think it's important to the spirit of the production that Carabosse be as glamorous as she is scary. (Not that a man in drag can't be glamorous, I hasten to add, but in ballet men are usually cast as women to drain as much glamour out of the role as possible.) One of the big surprises of the production's premiere was just how fabulous Merrill Ashley's Carabosse turned out to be. And as much as I love Janzen, I'm not sure he's got the "I just LOVE being a villain" dramatic chops to pull it off. 

ETA: Why would you want to see Carabosse performed by a man? For contrast with the Lilac Fairy?

For a different perspective.  Some companies cast a man.

Just now, FPF said:

I think Wendy was around 5'4" and Darci was around 5'6".  The other original Auroras that I can remember were Judith Fugate and Margaret Tracey. Not sure about their heights.

Agree, I would have guessed the same, and for Fugate about 5'4".  The only Auroras I saw at NYCB were Kathryn Morgan and Hyltin both of whom were probably 5'5.  Sarah Lane in Ratmansky's production at ABT is also a short dancer.

2 hours ago, nanushka said:

I loved Marcelo Gomes' Carabosse in Ratmansky's production at ABT.

Ratmansky's version of Carabosse is completely devoid of glamour, though. It's not difficult to understand why no one would invite her to a christening, she's more witch than fairy. I think the shift to a Carabosse played by a young, glamorous woman has underscored her almost membership in the sorority of fairy godmothers and why she is so bitter about being excluded.

15 hours ago, matilda said:

I agree that Von Enck was robbed although ABT and European companies have been casting taller Auroras for years. Has NYCB ever had a tall Aurora? The only dancer I remember seeing in the role back in the 2000s was Yvonne Borrée (very petite). I have tickets for a LaFreniere show and will try to reserve judgement until I see how she does. If anything, she and Phelan are more in the mold of the Disney Aurora than the short brunettes! :)

NYCB usually casts shorter dancers in full lengths like SB and Coppelia and taller dancers in Swan Lake although they changed that a few years ago with casting Tiler and Megan as Odette/Odile

18 hours ago, Kathleen O'Connell said:

In my mind's eye, Phelan's Lilac is the distilled essence of benevolence while LaFreniere's is power and grandeur all the way down. 

Yes--this is how I see LaFreniere's strengths as well, so she doesn't seem like the most natural Aurora to me either. That being said, one of the most memorable Sleeping Beauty's I ever saw was with Veronika Part at ABT, definitely cast against type there. What struck me the most was how she danced the birthday party scene. In her interpretation, Aurora was not having a good time AT ALL, being pressured to make a choice she didn't feel ready to make between suitors she didn't like. It created a beautiful, moving emotional arc in the performance seeing her then blossom into this luminous, assured young woman in the later Acts with her Prince. 

On 2/8/2023 at 10:41 AM, Balletwannabe said:

I'm seeing Woodward but I have the opportunity to pick from the following for a second performance: Lafreniere, Fairchild, Peck.  Who would you go for?

Fairchild! She’s really dancing so wonderfully right now. Top of her performing game. Like others upthread, I’m not really convinced regarding Phelan and LaFreniere. Much would’ve preferred Emma, a natural  for Aurora.

I think that Emma is still learning and hasn't got much experience in lead roles.  Aurora has to hold your interest for the entire ballet, and it is a huge role.  Emma has been cast mostly in soloist, secondary roles.  I guess they feel she needs more seasoning. Still, it pains me to see her cast as White Cat.  At least she's getting Florine, which has real substance.  

In contrast, LaFreniere has done lead roles in various one-act ballets, and has done well.  She has been in the company for longer than Emma, so I guess there is a sense that LaFreniere should be given this opportunity at this time.  I suspect this will be the last SB run for Megan Fairchild and Tiler Peck, so I guess Emma will have to wait it out a few more years. 

LaFreniere has been on Stafford's radar for years as someone who was going to get to principal eventually, so if she does well in this role I think the promotion is inevitable.  

Just saw the 21st Century Choreography program tonight, for the second time (first time was with the other cast). All seats in the house were $38 for this performance, and from conversations I overheard, it seems a good number of the audience members tonight were not frequent ballet-goers. I hope NYCB continues to do this $38 promo pricing to draw in curious new audiences! 

Voices is such an interesting piece that I did not expect to enjoy this much! I think it is best viewed from the Orchestra however.. I sat in the Second Ring tonight and it did not have the same effect as when I sat in the Orchestra. The last movement with the entire cast is beautiful and captivating, drawing some audible wow's from the audience tonight. As for the cast, I have to say I preferred the Kikta, Fairchild, Phelan Pazcoguin, Maxwell cast. 

Fortuitous Ash did not get any more interesting the second time viewing it. I found my mind wandering off many times and I am not really interested in seeing it again, unfortunately. 

Everywhere We Go continues to be one of my favorites, especially from Peck. I love the music and wish they had it up online for streaming somewhere! Kikta was great and really shone in the role that was originally danced by Tess Reichlen I believe. I'm not sure about Ashley Hod in the role she debuted in tonight (originally danced by Sterling Hyltin), but perhaps she'll grow into it! 

Also side note.. I attended the onstage working rehearsal earlier today and it was Indiana Woodward and Anthony Huxley rehearsing Sleeping Beauty, mainly coached by Gonzalo Garcia. They were terrific and convinced me to snatch tickets for their performance on Feb 17. 

9 hours ago, abatt said:

I think that Emma is still learning and hasn't got much experience in lead roles.  Aurora has to hold your interest for the entire ballet, and it is a huge role.  Emma has been cast mostly in soloist, secondary roles.

Hmm I did wonder about this and you're probably right! Still, I wish she was given more opportunities like the other new soloists seem to be getting. I was bored and charted how many featured roles each dancer got this season based on principal casting sheets.. if anyone is interested in seeing that lol 

11 hours ago, pirouette said:

Hmm I did wonder about this and you're probably right! Still, I wish she was given more opportunities like the other new soloists seem to be getting. I was bored and charted how many featured roles each dancer got this season based on principal casting sheets.. if anyone is interested in seeing that lol 

Hahahaha pirouette! I think you'll fit right in. I think we are all hungry for promotions to principal and are trying to read the tea leaves.

I think casting Emma VE would have been a big risk but NYCB casting used to take risks like that -- Sara doing SL at 19, for instance, and any number before. My biggest question about LaFreniere is not that she can't do the role (she's obviously very strong technically) but why she's not partnered with Peter Walker or similar? Jovani Furlan seems a bit short for her.  She also looked great with Chan in Episodes last Sunday, but who doesn't look great next to Chan? He makes all his ballerinas look wonderful (and of course Tiler has snapped him up for her SB). 

With poor Harrison Ball retiring (he's only dancing one more time, at his farewell, and debuting Afternoon of a Faun then, I mean it breaks your heart), I wonder if they will move Roman up sooner? I have to say I have also been very favorably impressed by Harrison Coll in his shows this winter, particularly Copland Dance Episodes (which I saw on Tuesday and unabashedly loved, by the way).

On 2/8/2023 at 5:27 PM, Kathleen O'Connell said:

One of the big surprises of the production's premiere was just how fabulous Merrill Ashley's Carabosse turned out to be. And as much as I love Janzen, I'm not sure he's got the "I just LOVE being a villain" dramatic chops to pull it off. 

I could see Gilbert Bolden as Carabosse! And I have no doubt he would bring the glamour and the LOVE of villainy.

They need a tall danseur.  Not sure why Peter Walker is not doing Desire.   Coll used to get major roles under Martins (Romeo for example), but  then he was out with injury for a long time.  His career has stalled.

Davide Riccardo seems to be a major talent .

What happened to Aaron Sanz.  They were testing him out in bigger roles, but he has fallen off the radar.

11 hours ago, pirouette said:

Welcome to the board, pirouette and YES! I would love to see your chart of soloists in principal roles.

Just now, abatt said:

What happened to Aaron Sanz.  They were testing him out in bigger roles, but he has fallen off the radar.

I thought Aaron Sanz looked great in Copland Dance Episodes. It wasn't one of the six principal roles, but IIRC he was in that men's quintet from Rodeo. 

21 hours ago, abatt said:

LaFreniere has been on Stafford's radar for years as someone who was going to get to principal eventually, so if she does well in this role I think the promotion is inevitable.  

Not that I disagree with the assessment, but how could one possibly know what is going on in Jonathan Stafford's head?