This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

New York City Ballet 2022-2023 season

12 minutes ago, vipa said:

OK I'm often behind the curve in some things. Would someone explain this to me. When I look at the 21st century choreographer's program it seems that Feb. 9 only has 4th ring tickets available, but for the other dates of that program they haven't even opened the 3rd ring. Of course I could be wrong, but that's what I think I'm seeing. 

Feb. 9 may be Art Series all $38 show

7 hours ago, vipa said:

OK I'm often behind the curve in some things. Would someone explain this to me. When I look at the 21st century choreographer's program it seems that Feb. 9 only has 4th ring tickets available, but for the other dates of that program they haven't even opened the 3rd ring. Of course I could be wrong, but that's what I think I'm seeing. 

I've been to a few performances this winter and I don't think the 4th Ring is always open. Maybe they keep it closed until the other rings are nearly full?

11 minutes ago, Balletwannabe said:

Funny, I would have preferred 2nd or 3rd, all that was available (for $38) was 4th ring.  I'm going to Copeland Episodes and then SB later in February.  Hoping the top view is ok for these shows, I've never actually sat in 4th.

I have only ever sat in 4th ring (usually any center POV) and it's still been great - especially for large scale ballets like Copeland and SB I prefer a more birds eye view, so hopefully you enjoy it!!

Looking down from the 4th ring single-file side seats was like reading the dance notations or blueprints – or looking into a doll house. But there was something thrilling about the direct view.

The side seats cost $8.00 each in the 1990s, which enabled me to go a couple of times of week. Rows A and B at $18, later $28, were the orchestra seats of the 4th, with more orthodox views of the stage. Good for times when you were taking someone else to see the ballet.

Edited by Quiggin
2 hours ago, Quiggin said:

Looking down from the 4th ring single-file side seats was like reading the dance notations or blueprints – or looking into a doll house. But there was something thrilling about the direct view.

Quiggin, you might also enjoy this.

New York City Ballet to Display Visual Art Installation, That Resembles Ballerinas

https://playbill.com/article/new-york-city-ballet-to-display-visual-art-installation-that-resembles-ballerinas

….which might segue to this.

Dancing with The Stairs

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2023/01/20/arts/dance/stair-dancing.html

34 minutes ago, Buddy said:

Dancing with The Stairs

Thanks for those! You did have to budget some time for the 4th/5th ring stairs –  not always as elegantly taken as the ones in the Times compilation.

Stairs are interesting – not only for the l'esprit de l'escalier moments going down but the way you focus yourself, change your emotional weather, as you make your way up (thinking of the staired Apollo perhaps).

Copeland Dances 1/28/23, Liked the front curtain's brilliant colors, the costumes (a nice change from black and white) and the lighting.  The company danced beatifuilly.  Rodeo was wonderful. Liked it even more than when I first saw it.  However, the work as a whole goes on way too long and becomes boring.  Agree with Gia Kourlas that the pas de deux get tedious.  And I don't like or understand Peck's constant repetition of poses.  Not steps but poses.

I had a problem with the use of Copeland's music which has nothing to do with Peck's work.  I've seen Graham's Appalachian Spring and Lorings's Billy the Kid many times and too often found that I was drifting away thinking about how the music was used in these narrative works.  Didn't happen with Rodeo I suspect because while DeMille's work tells a story it is less heaviily narrative.

Without undervaluing the essential contribution of either the male lead (Roman Mejia this season) or the participating eight corps dancers in the slightest, one can only marvel at how ideally suited the combination of Tchaikovsky's music, Balanchine's choreography and Tiler Peck's dancing in Allegro Brillante is to thrill and impress. Nevertheless, this ballet sparkles with such quality that I thoroughly enjoyed it with the second cast also (Megan Fairchild and Tyler Angle).

An audience's reaction to a performance of a ballet should, of course, not affect or alter our opinion of it. For the record, however, its response to the performances by both casts of Liturgy this season (Unity Phelan and Chun Wai Chan; Sara Adams and Jovani Furlan) was enthusiastic. Christopher Wheeldon's modernistic pas de deux to Arvo Pärt's spiritual music, for me, was not misplaced in this wonderful program. Unlike the three excellent principal dancers, Adams appears less often on the stage in critical roles, but the ethos implied in her interpretation was deeply moving and brought to mind her earlier work in Year of the Rabbit.

As pointed out previously, neither Emilie Gerrity nor Unity Phelan dances the leading female role in Walpurgisnacht Ballet with the force and authority summoned by Sara Mearns. Nonetheless, loveliness was characteristically hardly missing from the performance of either. Additionally, it is virtually impossible for the concluding section of the work —with the stage filled by members of the female corps dancing with loosened hair to resounding music— to be unexciting.

As during last spring, Isabella LaFreniere was again spectacular in her performances as the Firebird. Although similarly tall, Ashley Hod's build is frailer —which upon further consideration also proved suitable for a portrayal of the mythical bird, along with the individual features of her physiognomy. Despite a few glitches in her dancing, Hod's enactment manifested care and craftsmanship. Recognized especially for his excellent partnering during the later years of his career with New York City Ballet, Jared Angle as Prince Ivan fittingly danced with both women in his final role with the company.

Truthfully, there are vague recollections in my memory of Firebird feeling overlong. Today this thought puzzles me since in every way (music, choreography, costumes, set design and lighting), and for its entire duration, this ballet is one of the most exquisite in New York City Ballet’s repertory. For certain, however, my appreciation both of old tales that have survived the relentless passage of time, and of the way artists have used metaphor and fantasy to communicate the deepest feelings and thoughts about the human condition meanwhile has skyrocketed.

43 minutes ago, vipa said:

Tiler Peck posted on IG her Auroras - 2/16, 2/19 at 1 and 2/24. I wonder who is opening, and if all casts get 3

Casting is up and Megan is opening the SB run with Joseph Gordon! Mira's debuting in Lilac that night, really excited to see her in that role. And Maria Kowroski's coming back to do Carabosse!! Very cool. Emilie Gerrity is also, as expected, getting a Lilac debut.

Unity, Tiler, and Indiana are the other Auroras in week 1. 

Cainan Weber, Roman Meija, and Villarini-Velez all have bluebird debuts, and Baily Jones and Emma von Enck get Princess Florine debuts. Hod and LeCrone debuting as Carabosse.

Edited to add: Chan, as expected, is debuting as Prince Desiré dancing with Tiler Peck. He's the only new Prince week 1 (Anthony Huxley is dancing with Indiana and Andy Vedette with Unity)

Edited by MarzipanShepherdess
adding a detail

A famous piece of Americana, Fancy Free is often presented at Lincoln Center by both major companies. Both for its evocation of a critical era in American history, and its significance as a milestone in the nation's culture, it is a vital work. Nevertheless, this is a ballet I personally am willing to watch again only in the context of an enticing program. The other three works with which it is offered this season —Rondo; Solo; and Episodes— all interest me greatly.

Rondo may be a small-scaled, minor work by Robbins, but it is lovely, and I am delighted that New York City Ballet programmed it. The casting bears promise, and offers a particularly important opportunity for Olivia MacKinnon to shine.

Although women should unquestionably dance Solo also, it is unlikely that anyone (besides Ashley Laracey) can currently match the gravitas Sara Mearns brings to it.

In addition to Rondo, Mira Nadon has an important debut upcoming this week in Episodes. As do Isabella LaFreniere, Indiana Woodward and Olivia MacKinnon in the former ballet, and Alec Knight and Ashley Hod in the latter.

I'm a little surprised to see Veyette's name as Desire.  

I guess Furlan and LaFreniere are saved for week 2.  

Also, Kikta is only listed right now for Diamond.

Peter Walker did Desire during the last run, but so far he is only doing Gold. 

As expected, Harrison Ball is not reprising  Desire or any role.

Edited by abatt

I saw Indiana during the last run.  She was terrific.   Great technical ability and sparkling presence.  I'm pretty sure Huxley was her partner during the last run too.

I'm most skeptical about Phelan, but we'll see.

Edited by abatt

I'm noticing lots of debuts for some corps members, notably India Bradley, Mary Thomas MacKinnon, and Ruby Lister, who is doing one of the fairies and....Ruby!  Wish I could be there and looking forward to all of your reports.  I would love to see Chan as Desire just for starters.  

It's great to see so many corps members getting opportunities in SB, especially those who are newer/lesser known, like Afanasenkov, Collett, and Lister. It does seem like India Bradley and Baily Jones are having breakout seasons. I certainly hope and expect to see some ladies promoted to principal at the end of the season, and based on casting it seems likely to be Nadon, LaFreniere, and possibly Gerrity. I am very disappointed at the lack of opportunities this season for what is in my mind the most interesting tall dancer they currently have, Emily Kikta. Maybe she will do Lilac in the second week. 

Based on casting throughout the season, it seems like certain people may be on the way out.  LeCrone is stripped of her role as Lilac, and has not appeared in any significant roles.  Georgina Pazcoguin's only role for the Winter is in Ratmansky's Voices.  

3 hours ago, cobweb said:

It's great to see so many corps members getting opportunities in SB, especially those who are newer/lesser known, like Afanasenkov, Collett, and Lister. It does seem like India Bradley and Baily Jones are having breakout seasons. I certainly hope and expect to see some ladies promoted to principal at the end of the season, and based on casting it seems likely to be Nadon, LaFreniere, and possibly Gerrity. I am very disappointed at the lack of opportunities this season for what is in my mind the most interesting tall dancer they currently have, Emily Kikta. Maybe she will do Lilac in the second week. 

I saw Emily Kikta tonight in Episodes, and she was wonderful. I'll give more of a review tomorrow when I have more time. I think she would be wonderful as Lilac, but in general height might be limiting her casting (just a guess). I believe she's the tallest woman in the company at 5 ft. 10. Being on pointe adds inches.

I agree with Abatt that some people may be on their way out. LeCrone was very good in the first section of Episodes tonight but in general isn't cast much. Pazcoguin isn't seen much at all. I'm fiercely rooting for Alexa Maxwell to be promoted to soloist.

8 hours ago, vipa said:

I saw Emily Kikta tonight in Episodes, and she was wonderful. I'll give more of a review tomorrow when I have more time. I think she would be wonderful as Lilac, but in general height might be limiting her casting (just a guess). I believe she's the tallest woman in the company at 5 ft. 10. Being on pointe adds inches.

Just based on my impression, I’d say the tallest woman in the company is Christina Clark, and the second is Miller. Kikta is close behind. I know they are tall, but since they promoted a batch of tall ladies to soloist, I assume/hope that means they can envision at least one of them as principal. 

I also saw Emily and Megan LeCrone in Episodes last night and they were giving fierce balanchine technique!!! I was also very impressed by Unity in Episodes - I haven't been a big fan of hers, obv she's talented but she hasn't stuck out to me and I thought she's overused, but her performance really convinced me. I was hoping Episodes would do the same for Miller but it wasn't the case...

Jovani was also living his best life in Fancy Free debut last night! It was very fun to watch him be goofy.

I've always really liked LeCrone but she does seem on the older side (I believe she got into the company with Megan Fairchild) and has had many injuries, so I wouldn't be surprised if she's leaving soon. Kikta is a big favorite of mine so I hope she gets more casting.

I've been making like a fantasy football-ish prediction list for promotions in my free time, which is fun - hopefully they'll announce soon!

15 hours ago, abatt said:

Why is it expected that Ball won't be reprising Desire?? I feel like I missed something!

15 hours ago, abatt said:

Walker and Ball did not dance Desiré last run (2019)... they both debuted Siegfried in the Martins Swan Lake in 2020, however. 

I thought Walker would be a more likely Desiré this run than Veyette. It's clear from his casting since fall that Ball is not able to dance allegro-heavy or jumping roles right now. Too bad; he's a perfect prince! 

Also: I'm hoping they announce the full Aurora/Desiré casting this week, given that the dancers apparently know their dates for the second week of Sleeping Beauty already (Peck and Chan both posted that they are dancing on the 24th).

Edited by matilda