This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

New York City Ballet 2022-2023 season

On 2/2/2023 at 3:15 PM, matilda said:

That is DEVASTATING. He's been one of my absolute favorite dancers. What a talent. His Puck in Midsummer is extraordinary, and he showed such, such promise in Mozartiana just a year ago.

I totally agree. I'm speechless. He is so talented and so beautiful. I can just picture him in that violet Mozartiana vest, looking a little remote, mysterious, sultry, and noble all at once. Are you sure, Harrison? You have a rare gift -- shouldn't you take the time you have, at least a few more years of it, to share your gifts with those who get joy from seeing you?

Copeland Episodes:

Justin Peck had some weird dance dreams and put it on the stage and I'm here for it.  Choices were made.  Some strange ones, but made with confidence.

I loved it.  

Joking aside (but I did love it): putting that many male dancers on the stage comes with pitfalls.  I've never seen so many male dancers for that length of time; I felt like they lacked chemistry.  Timing could have been much improved and for that reason I found those sections a bit distracting.  I wasn't sure if they were supposed to be in unison or not.  I think I also just didn't love the choreography for them.  

I'm not sure if T.Peck typically has better extensions, or if I'm just comparing directly after seeing Nadon's gorgeous long lines.

I believe tonight may have been sold out, the energy in the audience was wonderful.

I had to add- Megan Fairchild was delightful, I could watch her all day.  The yellow was also so flattering on her.

Edited by Balletwannabe
17 hours ago, cobweb said:

I totally agree. I'm speechless. He is so talented and so beautiful. I can just picture him in that violet Mozartiana vest, looking a little remote, mysterious, sultry, and noble all at once. Are you sure, Harrison? You have a rare gift -- shouldn't you take the time you have, at least a few more years of it, to share your gifts with those who get joy from seeing you?

Completely agree. For health reasons I haven't been able to attend much in the last few years and had never seen him dance until this past fall, when I saw him as the Poet in La Sonambula. He was beautiful: magnificent technique, wonderful acting, musical sensitivity, and what a physique! To me, the "total package," and I resolved to see more of him. Gone too soon for sure.

17 hours ago, Balletwannabe said:

Copeland Episodes:

Justin Peck had some weird dance dreams and put it on the stage and I'm here for it.  Choices were made.  Some strange ones, but made with confidence.

I loved it.  

Joking aside (but I did love it): putting that many male dancers on the stage comes with pitfalls.  I've never seen so many male dancers for that length of time; I felt like they lacked chemistry.  Timing could have been much improved and for that reason I found those sections a bit distracting.  I wasn't sure if they were supposed to be in unison or not.  I think I also just didn't love the choreography for them.  

I'm not sure if T.Peck typically has better extensions, or if I'm just comparing directly after seeing Nadon's gorgeous long lines.

I believe tonight may have been sold out, the energy in the audience was wonderful.

I had to add- Megan Fairchild was delightful, I could watch her all day.  The yellow was also so flattering on her.

I was there last night too—I agree with all of this!

I've admired Mira pretty much since she first joined the corps, but I thought she looked extra-gorgeous last night. 🤩 I'm contemplating going to see it again on Tuesday with Mr. mille-feuille.

On 2/2/2023 at 3:05 PM, bellawood said:

So sad to hear this. His dancing and aura are so special.

What an eloquent statement.

Edited by mille-feuille
17 hours ago, Balletwannabe said:

Peck has lost a lot of her extension and back flexibility in the past few years (though it was never her primary asset). I believe this is in part due to her severe neck injury. I approach her performances now with a different level of expectation, but she still shines brightly in other areas. 

And I agree about Megan Fairchild - 6 years ago I didn't seek her out often, now she is one of my favorite performers in the company!

Edited by Papagena

Fun afternoon at the Jared Angle farewell.  This was my first time seeing this Firebird -what a spectacle!  The corps seemed to be luxuriously cast including soloists.  I wonder if this was just to get more longer-term colleagues on the stage for Jared.  His ovation was warm and joyful, with the principal men and women coming out as groups.  He gave a “thank you” speech encouraging support for the educational program.  I was happy yo be there - like many here, I feel like I grew up loving NYCB with him in it.  Royal Danish is lucky to be getting him.

Allegro Brillante was just beautiful.  The corps was ON FIRE, and Megan and Tyler looked great.  Like the comment above on the other Tiler, his extensions are wanting, but I thought he danced very well.  

Unity looks like she will grow in Gounod.  I saw a lot that looked mature, and some that looked comparatively restrained (but Sara is my only comparison).  She took a spill at the beginning of her solo, which probably didn’t help her feel super-secure.  I was thrilled there were 3 Black women in the supporting casts with fabulous braids and natural locks when the hair came down at the end.  

Edited by KikiRVA
Typo
On 2/4/2023 at 3:39 PM, Papagena said:

And I agree about Megan Fairchild - 6 years ago I didn't seek her out often, now she is one of my favorite performers in the company!

Same! So beautiful to see how she has continued to bloom as an artist relatively late into her career.

Saw Copeland Dance Episodes last night, with the Miriam Miller/Russell Janzen cast. For me, this is a ballet that rewarded a second viewing. I thought Miriam Miller was really lovely, bringing softer, more vulnerable shadings to the lead ballerina role than Mira Nadon did in the premiere. And Alexa Maxwell, though a very different dancer than Tiler Peck, was excellent in the other big ballerina part. She's so emotive and engaging to watch.  I'll be shocked if she's not promoted in the spring. I really preferred Megan Fairchild to Unity Phelan in the "yellow leotard" role; last night Unity was kind of blurry in her phrasing, where Megan made every step so clear. And KJ Takahashi, though obviously a very promising talent, doesn't yet have the authority that Roman Meija is already projecting despite his young age, so the early movements felt a little less exciting than in the premiere. I know Emma Von Enck has lots of fans on this forum and she really stood out to me in her relatively small role: lots of speed, lots of attack, dancing big. I'd like to see her in the Tiler/Alexa role!

Today I was back for the Classic NYCB II matinee. Wasn't sure I'd see this program because I've seen Fancy Free so many times and I didn't love Episodes when I saw it in the fall, but the casting won me over. In Fancy Free, Roman was the standout: this is such a great role for him with all his bravado and charisma, but all the guys were good. Alexa Maxwell and Mary Thomas McKinnon were both great in their debuts. Alexa continues to impress me in dramatic roles, she is a great dancer-actress who can do a lot with her face and small gestures and brings characters to life. 

Rondo was new to me and I really enjoyed it! It's like a chamber piece, very intimate, and it felt like a rich work to me even though it's short and quite pared back. I loved all the nuances Olivia McKinnon and Indiana brought out in how their roles related to each other: there's mirroring, playful competition, admiration, tenderness. And I loved the ending where the two ballerinas do a reverence to one another first and then turn to do one in unison to the audience. Lovely.

Solo: always great to see Anthony Huxley but this has been programmed a lot lately, more so than I think it deserves...I still feel as I did when I first saw it that it gets lost on stage. 

Episodes: I enjoyed this ballet more on my second viewing. Some of the choreography, particularly in the second section, is so interesting and arresting (I'm thinking especially of the sequence where the ballerina is upside down with her arms around her partner's waist, her legs making horns, or wings, behind him). But the last two sections, especially the final one, feel repetitive to me and start losing my interest. I preferred this cast to the cast I saw in the fall. Isabella was wonderful in the first section with Chun Wai Chan, she can summon such authority, with a shade of menace, and that was very much in evidence here. Ashley Hod was the highlight of the whole piece for me in her debut in the second section. Really, really strong as was Gilbert through all that tricky partnering. Mira also had a strong debut in the fourth movement. It didn't feel as fully realized and out-of-the-gate WOW as her SVC debut earlier this season (then again, Episodes isn't as WOW of a ballet as SVC), but she brought her characteristic vividness and it felt like she made a lot out of all the small, controlled steps. Emilie didn't make much of an impression on me in the third movement, though Taylor Stanley did. I found myself watching him the most in the third section.

On 2/4/2023 at 5:18 PM, KikiRVA said:

Allegro Brillante was just beautiful.  The corps was ON FIRE, and Megan and Tyler looked great.  Like the comment above on the other Tiler, his extensions are wanting, but I thought he danced very well.  
Unity looks like she will grow in Gounod.  I saw a lot that looked mature, and some that looked comparatively restrained (but Sara is my only comparison).  She took a spill at the beginning of her solo, which probably didn’t help her feel super-secure.  I was thrilled there were 3 Black women in the supporting casts with fabulous braids and natural locks when the hair came down at the end.  

I saw these two ballets  two weeks ago and loved Fairchild in Allegro.  As others have said, in the past I didn't seek her out. But in recent years her dancing, always technically impeccable, has become much more expressive.  Based on some comments here about Tyler Angle, I had low expectations.  He danced well although is clearly not in his prime.  I enjoyed seeing Liturgy, in which I had previously seen Kowroski.  Sara Adams, new to me, was excellent.  All the dancers in Walpurgisnacht were great.  Phelan did seem restrained. Maybe this is not her role. I was so happy to finally see Emma Von Enck in a featured role.  She's ready for promotion along with Nadon and Gerrity. I wonder though if Nadon would be promoted this soon to Principal after only 4 or 5 years at City Ballet.  I don't love Firebird but am still always glad to see it,  The Firebird has some exquisite moments.  The total work is such a masterpiece: dance, music, sets, costumes together create  another world.  

On the all Balanchine program, I loved Donizetti Variations with Tiler Peck.  Some have commented that she's lost height in arabesque and back flexibility in recent years.  These are not her strengths.  I'd watch her in anything. Musicality, speed, precision, ballon, the personification of joy are what draw me to her.  Veyette danced well.  I really liked Valse Fantaisie and can't say enough positive comment about Woodward and Mejia.  They were fabulous.  For me, the highlight of the evening was Stravinsky Violin Concerto. in which there were stellar performances by everyone.  All of the principals, and  especially Nadon and Gordon, were just wonderful.  The all Balanchine program was one of the best I've seen  in terms of variety since the start of the Stafford/Whelan team.  

Casting for Week 2 of Sleeping Beauty is out! LaFreniere is debuting on Thursday, Feb 23 and dancing again on Sunday, Feb 26. I might try to go see her in this. I know she has a lot of fans on here but I'm still a little unconvinced. My fav soloists of the new bunch are Mira Nadon and Emma Von Enck, and I'm bummed the latter didn't get an Aurora debut. I currently have tickets to see Megan Fairchild on the 22nd and Tiler Peck on the 24th, and I'm also curious to see Indiana Woodward in this role.

BTW, I'm new on here so hello everyone!! 

On 2/5/2023 at 7:28 PM, Marta said:

On the all Balanchine program, I loved Donizetti Variations with Tiler Peck.  Some have commented that she's lost height in arabesque and back flexibility in recent years.  These are not her strengths.  I'd watch her in anything. Musicality, speed, precision, ballon, the personification of joy are what draw me to her.  

Agree about Tiler Peck. She is an artist of rare imagination and musicality, and has many, many technical strengths. If her back continues to lose flexibility and her arabesque is further diminished, perhaps her rep will evolve. She had a lot to bring to any role.

16 hours ago, pirouette said:

Casting for Week 2 of Sleeping Beauty is out! LaFreniere is debuting on Thursday, Feb 23 and dancing again on Sunday, Feb 26. I might try to go see her in this. I know she has a lot of fans on here but I'm still a little unconvinced. My fav soloists of the new bunch are Mira Nadon and Emma Von Enck, and I'm bummed the latter didn't get an Aurora debut. I currently have tickets to see Megan Fairchild on the 22nd and Tiler Peck on the 24th, and I'm also curious to see Indiana Woodward in this role.

BTW, I'm new on here so hello everyone!! 

Welcome pirouette! I am also disappointed that Von Enck isn't getting an Aurora. And I'm a bit doubtful about Phelan & LaFreniere. I love them both but to me, neither looks like a natural Aurora and I don't think the choreography looks great on tall dancers, especially the 1st act choreography. I am seeing them both so I will go in with an open mind and hope they prove me wrong.

7 minutes ago, Balletwannabe said:

I'm seeing Woodward but I have the opportunity to pick from the following for a second performance: Lafreniere, Fairchild, Peck.  Who would you go for?

1. Fairchild 2. Peck 3. LaFreniere

in my eyes :)

4 hours ago, nysusan said:

And I'm a bit doubtful about Phelan & LaFreniere. I love them both but to me, neither looks like a natural Aurora

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this casting as well. To me they seem like natural Lilacs. In my mind's eye, Phelan's Lilac is the distilled essence of benevolence while LaFreniere's is power and grandeur all the way down. 

And I agree with everyone else that E. Von Enck seems to have Aurora written all over her. She is a delight.

The best NYCB Aurora I've seen yet was Sterling Hyltin: she sparkled.

5 hours ago, nysusan said:

Welcome pirouette! I am also disappointed that Von Enck isn't getting an Aurora. And I'm a bit doubtful about Phelan & LaFreniere. I love them both but to me, neither looks like a natural Aurora and I don't think the choreography looks great on tall dancers, especially the 1st act choreography. I am seeing them both so I will go in with an open mind and hope they prove me wrong.

Thank you nysusan! I will be curious to hear your thoughts on their performances! 

33 minutes ago, Kathleen O'Connell said:

The best NYCB Aurora I've seen yet was Sterling Hyltin: she sparkled.

Based on video clips I've seen, I have to agree! I'm so sad I never got to see her as Aurora before she retired..

36 minutes ago, Kathleen O'Connell said:

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this casting as well. To me they seem like natural Lilacs. In my mind's eye, Phelan's Lilac is the distilled essence of benevolence while LaFreniere's is power and grandeur all the way down. 

And I agree with everyone else that E. Von Enck seems to have Aurora written all over her. She is a delight.

Totally agree. I don't understand this casting at all. Neither Phelan nor LaFreniere strikes me as right for Aurora, whereas both cry out for Lilac Fairy. Emma von Enck, on the other hand, is fearless and radiant and would be a perfect Aurora. What were they thinking?