This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

New York City Ballet 2022-2023 season

Wow, I watched the video and I really hope that Sara is okay. She looks tired, worn, and older. I will miss her. But I guess this means we will also have a new Lilac Fairy. We on BA have spent a lot of time hashing out the Aurora situation, but what about Lilac? On the current roster, I believe that previous Lilacs have been Laracey, LeCrone, and Miller. Anyone else? One or two more will presumably be needed. 

Oh, and I would really love to see Davidsbundlertanze too. 

1 hour ago, cobweb said:

Wow, I watched the video and I really hope that Sara is okay. She looks tired, worn, and older. I will miss her. But I guess this means we will also have a new Lilac Fairy. We on BA have spent a lot of time hashing out the Aurora situation, but what about Lilac? On the current roster, I believe that previous Lilacs have been Laracey, LeCrone, and Miller. Anyone else? One or two more will presumably be needed. 

My heart is breaking for Sara. I really hope she will be well soon.

Lilac fairy, of course Mira Nadon. I was surprised she was not cast as Firebird. Miriam Miller is  probably a possibility. 

Aurora casting has been addressed on BA, but I’m still hoping for Emma Von Enck.

1 hour ago, Fernie M said:

Miriam Miller is  probably a possibility. 

Per the website, Lilac is listed as already being in Miller's rep. She must have done it last time they did SB, but I guess I didn't see her, or just don't remember. 

Edited by cobweb
2 hours ago, cobweb said:

Per the website, Lilac is listed as already being in Miller's rep. She must have done it last time they did SB, but I guess I didn't see her, or just don't remember. 

You are 100% correct, my mistake. I truly did not remember that. She’s  in the pictures of “Sleeping Beauty” (small slideshow) as the Lilac Fairy.

5 hours ago, cobweb said:

I'm fairly sure that Mearns retired Lilac from her rep. At least I think I remember her saying that. I wonder if LeCrone will be given the role even though she's done it. Laracey was wonderful as Lilac, so I would think she and Miller are definites. Maybe Kikta or even Hod. What about Caraboose? They often go for glam/evil in that role and it takes authority and stage craft.

Not that the powers that be listen to us, but I'd love to see Davidsbundlertanze too. I saw it back when it was first done, and I'm sure I didn't wrap my head around it the way I would now.

I'm impressed by the maturity and  self awareness of Mearns in reaching  this decision.  She realized that she was not ready to return and that she could not dance at her best at this juncture.  Contrast that with the behavior of her colleague Bouder.

On 1/14/2023 at 7:47 PM, vipa said:

Laracey was wonderful as Lilac, so I would think she and Miller are definites. Maybe Kikta or even Hod. What about Caraboose? They often go for glam/evil in that role and it takes authority and stage craft.

Not that the powers that be listen to us, but I'd love to see Davidsbundlertanze too. I saw it back when it was first done, and I'm sure I didn't wrap my head around it the way I would now.

I'd love to see Kikta and LaFreniere as Lilac. I realize they may each be working on the SB herself, it never rains but pours.  Ashley Hod would be interesting, too.

It's nice to see that others remember Davidsbundlertanze fondly. My guess, sadly, is that they'll bring Liebeslieder back before they do Davidsbundlertanze again, but I hope they don't wait too long. They should do the Schuman while Farrell and/or Watts can coach it.

Edited by BalanchineFan
1 hour ago, BalanchineFan said:

It's nice to see that others remember Davidsbundlertanze fondly. My guess, sadly, is that they'll bring Liebeslieder back before they do Davidsbundlertanze again, but I hoe they don't wait too long. They should do the Schuman while Farrell and/or Watts can coach it.

Another vote for Davidsbündlertänze -- a beautiful, very moving ballet. I actually find it flawed too -- flawed because it almost seems overly personal or lachrymose at times. The shadowy "critics" are kind of kitschy as theater (and Schumann went mad from syphilis not mean reviews). But still a masterpiece --  with nothing else like it in the Balanchine repertory notwithstanding some similarities to Liebeslieder. Its complexity and even its rather peculiar (for Balanchine) tone seem to me very much reasons for NYCB to keep doing it. And yes, please, while Farrell and Watts and others are still around to coach it or otherwise offer advice.

brokenwing said:

I would kill to see Mira in the Farrell role, but you're right that it's a tricky work to cast. Mearns is fantastic in Karin's part, Russell had a major breakthrough in the Luders role. Perhaps Miller would be good in Karin with some coaching? Laracey has done Kay's role before and I think many of the men (Chun, Gordon, Furlan, Sanz, Walker) would be elegant in it. 

Davidsbundertanze sadly has become a neglected masterpiece. NYCB hasn't done it for at least a decade.  

I looked up when I had seen Davidsbundlertanze and was shocked to find it was in 2003.  Maybe there has been  another performance since then.  The dancers were Kistler, Somogyi, Kyra Nichols, Miranda Weese, Askegard, Nilas Martins, Nikolai Hubbe and Jock Soto.  I made a note next to Nichols, Weese and Hubbe: "fantastic!".  I agree  that this ballet is a neglected masterpiece and should come back!  It is flawed and melodramatic but unique in Balanchine.  I can't think of any other "Balanchine short story" [Prodigal] or "Balanchine Gothic" [La Sonnambula, La Valse] that it resembles. Nadon in the Farrell role would be fascinating; Gordon and Furlan also sound great.  

2 hours ago, Marta said:

bro

I looked up when I had seen Davidsbundlertanze and was shocked to find it was in 2003.  Maybe there has been  another performance since then.  The dancers were Kistler, Somogyi, Kyra Nichols, Miranda Weese, Askegard, Nilas Martins, Nikolai Hubbe and Jock Soto.  I made a note next to Nichols, Weese and Hubbe: "fantastic!".  I agree  that this ballet is a neglected masterpiece and should come back!  It is flawed and melodramatic but unique in Balanchine.  I can't think of any other "Balanchine short story" [Prodigal] or "Balanchine Gothic" [La Sonnambula, La Valse] that it resembles. Nadon in the Farrell role would be fascinating; Gordon and Furlan also sound great.  

This ballet was last performed in 2008 at NYCB. Mearns performed S. Farrell's role, I think. .

correction - last performed in 2014.

Edited by abatt

The cast for the 2014 performance of Davidsbundlertanze that I saw was cast as follows:

• Farrell's role: Rebecca Krohn
  • von Aroldingen's role: Reichlen
  • Mazzo's role: Laracey
  • Watts' role: T. Peck

The men were T. Angle, Catazaro, Janzen, and Suozzi. Janzen danced the Lüders role.

I'll admit that while I won't go out of my way to avoid it, it's not among my favorites. The shadowy critics with the giant pens are a real buzzkill for me—right up there with the miming of flapping angel's wings in Serenade. Cringe.

5 minutes ago, abatt said:

Since the 75th anniversary of the company is coming up I hope they revive certain ballets that have been MIA for quite some time, including Union Jack, In the Night and Davidsbundertanze.  

All 3 are ballets I would love to see again soon - especially Union Jack!

I'm always up for Union Jack. Last time they did it was Fall 2019. The only time I ever saw Davidsbundlertanze was during the run in 2014, and I remember being entranced. My tastes may have changed somewhat since then, so not sure how I would react now, but I would love the chance to see it again and develop more of an informed opinion. I especially remember a moment when three women enter together (I remember Reichlen, Krohn, and not sure who was the third), and how it caught my heart. 

Mira absolutely KILLED IT in her Stravinsky Violin Concerto debut. Élan is the word that comes to mind. So much passion, verve, intensity. Really thrilling. Big audience reaction, which was lovely to see. Everyone kept applauding after she and Adrian went into the wings after their big pas de deux, so much so that they came back out for mid-performance bows. 

57 minutes ago, MarzipanShepherdess said:

Mira absolutely KILLED IT in her Stravinsky Violin Concerto debut. Élan is the word that comes to mind. So much passion, verve, intensity. Really thrilling. Big audience reaction, which was lovely to see. Everyone kept applauding after she and Adrian went into the wings after their big pas de deux, so much so that they came back out for mid-performance bows. 

Completely agree!  Nadon was electrifying.  It was  a thrilling debut.   

KJ Takahashi was awarded the Janice Levin award.  He gave a moving speech.  He dedicated it to his brother, who suffers from cerebral palsy and epilepsy. He also mentioned that he has known Roman Mejia since he was 9 yrs old, and he attended the dance school run by Mejia's parents.   He credited the Mejia family with his success.  A class act in addition to being a fabulous dancer. 

Edited by abatt
18 hours ago, abatt said:

Since the 75th anniversary of the company is coming up I hope they revive certain ballets that have been MIA for quite some time, including Union Jack, In the Night and Davidsbundertanze.  

Davidsbundlertanze was paired with Union Jack in Spring 2014, so repeating that program would kill two birds with one stone!

week 3 casting is up, notable to me are:

LaFreniere/Nadon in Rondo (which I don't think I've ever seen)

Maxwell in the main girl role in Fancy Free

Mira Nadon in the final movement of Episodes (I always loved Jennie Somogyi in this movement)

Olivia MacKinnon featured in 2nd cast Rondo w/Indiana Woodward

19 hours ago, bellawood said:

LaFreniere/Nadon in Rondo (which I don't think I've ever seen)

Rondo is newly revived and hasn't been performed since 1980.

https://www.nycballet.com/discover/stories/christine-redpath-on-reconstucting-rondo/

Christine Redpath is responsible for reconstructing it. She was at the rehearsal I saw yesterday working with Christina Clark and Peter Walker on the Haieff. Perhaps she does all of their long-lost ballet revivals. Christina Clark looked amazing in rehearsal. She is so deliciously long limbed. Has anyone seen her perform the Haieff? I'm not sure I have tickets for her performances yet.

The Redpath interview is quite interesting, not long. Does anyone remember her dancing? I remember her name from photos, and I must have seen her in those days (1979 was when I first saw NYCB live) but I don't particularly remember her performing.

Edited by BalanchineFan

I saw the Haieff last night with Peter Walker and Christina Clark - I like the ballet a lot.  Christina Clark is indeed long-limbed and radiated a lot of joy - especially when dancing with Walker and the corps.  However, I saw some tentativeness in her solo which lacked authority.  There were a lot of slow arabesques and turning in arabesque where she displayed effort.  I chalk that up to nerves and expect she will improve mightily.

I like this "All Balanchine" program which has some rarities and oddities.  The "Valse Fantaisie" with Glinka music is windswept and charming - Indiana Woodward and Roman Mejia flew through it with élan.  Tiler Peck was enchanting in "Donizetti Variations" though she isn't the risk taker she was before her injuries.  Andie Veyette looked in good form though when doing tours a la seconde his arabesque is lower than it was.  

"Stravinsky Violin Concerto" had strong stylish men in Taylor Stanley and Russell Janzen (nice to see him back).  I felt that Emilie Gerrity and Unity Phelan didn't quite have the necessary attack and sharpness of movement.  Gerrity was somehow girlish and too soft and Phelan lacked definition in her movement and style.  The movements need a little bit of weight which was lacking.  Neither screwed up or were bad but it just wasn't fully there.  Both ladies are covering a lot of new material and I feel this was a work in progress - I often feel that way about Phelan who I like basically - ditto Gerrity.

Edited by FauxPas
Typos