This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

New York City Ballet 2022-2023 season

19 hours ago, On Pointe said:

Based on their recent ad campaigns,  NYCBallet appears to be trying to attract people who don't know much about ballet and what little they do know they don't much like.   In my opinion,  that's a mistake.  There's an old showbiz axiom that has implications in politics and other fields:  Always play to your strongest audience.  Hardcore ballet fans,  who will stick with the company for years,  want to see dancers dancing.  The Peck commercial - that's what it is - looks like a scene from a boring arthouse film.  The Sleeping Beauty spot might appeal to the visual arts crowd,  but where are the dancers?  Nobody goes to the ballet to see projections of flowers on the stage.  It's all very abstract and arty,  but it's not ballet,  it's not dancing,  it's not music.  The company needs to have more confidence in what it has to sell.  (And if they opened the fourth ring and sold those tickets for $20.00 each,   they would have sold out houses for every performance.)

Great points, On Pointe. All of us here qualify as "hardcore ballet fans." Doing a rough calculation of how often I've been to NYCB since I started attending in 2011, I come up with approximately 500-600 performances. And while I find the Sleeping Beauty ad kind of hypnotic, it doesn't at all represent what actually occurs on the stage. I wish NCYB's advertising was more ballet-forward. That is what they have to offer, and as you say they should have confidence in what they're selling. I can't help but think that if people come to see SB based on that ad, they're going to find the actual ballet to be long, slow, and horribly old-fashioned. 

Kind of off topic, but I see that Sapphire Indian restaurant has permanently closed. It was mentioned on this board occasionally as a place for pre-performance dinner. I only went there once, but I absolutely loved the food and congenial atmosphere. I happened to check the website because I was planning to go again soon. Sorry to see them closed!!

1 hour ago, cobweb said:

Kind of off topic, but I see that Sapphire Indian restaurant has permanently closed. It was mentioned on this board occasionally as a place for pre-performance dinner. I only went there once, but I absolutely loved the food and congenial atmosphere. I happened to check the website because I was planning to go again soon. Sorry to see them closed!!

Oh no.  Sorry this placed closed up.  Mr. Abatt and I were fans of this restaurant.

1 hour ago, matilda said:

Jovani Furlan posted an Instagram story of himself and Isabella LaFreniere rehearsing Sleeping Beauty Act III

Thanks for the head up. Just curious.  Was LaFreniere rehearsing Lilac or Aurora.  She seems way too tall for Aurora.

56 minutes ago, matilda said:

It's definitely the Aurora/Desiré choreography in the Act III finale. (I don't recall Lilac Fairy in Act III at all? I could be wrong though.) She looks taller than him on pointe. 

Thanks.  So it's likely that our Auroras will be Peck, Fairchild, Woodward, Phelan (based on rehearsal reports) and LaFreniere (based on rehearsal reports).  Did I leave out anyone?  Have not heard anything about Emma V.E.   She would have seemed a natural as Aurora. 

1 hour ago, abatt said:

So it's likely that our Auroras will be Peck, Fairchild, Woodward, Phelan (based on rehearsal reports) and LaFreniere (based on rehearsal reports).  Did I leave out anyone?  Have not heard anything about Emma V.E.   She would have seemed a natural as Aurora.

Can't help be disappointed by (seemingly, as of yet) no Emma von Enck. I got my heart set on that!

1 hour ago, cobweb said:

Can't help be disappointed by (seemingly, as of yet) no Emma von Enck. I got my heart set on that!

I was thinking about Emma von Enck and Sara Adams as possibilities. Are there usually 5 casts? If Von Enck and Adams don't get Aurora, my bet is they'll both get cast in blue bird pas

37 minutes ago, vipa said:

If Von Enck and Adams don't get Aurora, my bet is they'll both get cast in blue bird pas

... and I am sure they will both be lovely. I'm surprised to see LaFreniere rehearsing, and presumably performing, Aurora. Tall and not exactly teenage looking. On the other hand, she does have a youthful freshness and eagerness about her, and I can see her coming across as  charmingly innocent. Okay, I've talked myself into it and I may need to see all the casts. Only one I'm still hesitant on is Phelan. Overall, very looking forward to the run of SB!

7 minutes ago, bellawood said:

On Mira Nadon’s insta stories, surprise debut in aria I violin concerto — replacing Mearns — on Jan 17, 19 and 25, anyone going?

I hope Mearns is okay.  She missed the entire run of Nuts.  I will certainly check out Nadon in SVC.  Who will replace Mearns in WALPURGISNACHT BALLET?

2 hours ago, abatt said:

Who will replace Mearns in WALPURGISNACHT BALLET?

Great question. Is there anyone else currently on the roster who has done this role? in NYC or on tour?

Edited by cobweb
ETA: Gerrity seems like an obvious choice. Not sure if she's done it before.

Phelan danced Walpurgisnacht last winter season and is likely in the ballet's second cast for this season. But if you look at the cast sheet for week one of that program, she's supposed to dance Liturgy directly before Walpurgisnacht goes on (with no intermission in between), and it may not work for her to sub for Mearns in those shows, unless they put the second cast of Liturgy in week one (according to Instagram, that's Furlan and Adams). There's probably some casting shuffling happening, and, depending on the extent to which Mearns is out, we could even get a Walpurgisnacht debut.

3 hours ago, BalanchineFan said:

Phelan has been dancing the lead in Walpurghisnacht in NYC, I believe. Or at least rehearsing it. I can't remember where I saw that. Maybe I saw her debut last winter...

If Phelan can't do it because of Liturgy I think Kikta would be a great choice, or LaFreniere. I would guess Tess Reichlen used to dance it? I remember Lauren Lovette doing the soloist role. There are no other current principals that would seem to be ideal casting for Walphurgishnacht. 

I have tickets to the Jan 27th show and I was counting on seeing Sara Mearns in Walpurgisnacht. She is unexcelled in the role I think. I am sad to hear she is out for the first week of shows. She is a rare talent and I am so grateful to have seen her perform so much. But I'd hate to think that her body is starting to give out for good. That would be very sad!

Even though I no longer live in NY, I would come in for sure to see her retirement show. But hopefully that's a long way off!

1 minute ago, nanran3 said:

I have tickets to the Jan 27th show and I was counting on seeing Sara Mearns in Walpurgisnacht. She is unexcelled in the role I think. I am sad to hear she is out for the first week of shows. She is a rare talent and I am so grateful to have seen her perform so much. But I'd hate to think that her body is starting to give out for good. That would be very sad!

Even though I no longer live in NY, I would come in for sure to see her retirement show. But hopefully that's a long way off!

This is my favorite role for Sara in all of her many (more famous/more important) roles that she has danced. She dances this like a fury and that long diagonal towards the end is always astonishing. 

1 hour ago, bellawood said:

If Phelan can't do it because of Liturgy I think Kikta would be a great choice, or LaFreniere. I would guess Tess Reichlen used to dance it? I remember Lauren Lovette doing the soloist role. There are no other current principals that would seem to be ideal casting for Walphurgishnacht. 

I thought of Kikta too, but I think she might be too tall for Tyler Angle.  

1 hour ago, nanran3 said:

Yes, Mearns is  great in this role, so it will be disappointing if she is  replaced. I'm pretty sure I saw Unity in the role, and that she was unremarkable in comparison to Mearns (and Kyra Nichols, going back in time!(.  The lead role has to be danced with abandon, which is why Mearns is so good in it.  I've never seen Phelan dance with abandon.

Edited by abatt
2 hours ago, bellawood said:

Yes, Tess Reichlen used to dance it as well.

I think I may have seen Jared Angle live once, perhaps in a Liam Scarlett piece that had a big cast and dark lighting, but every time I've seen him on video, I've loved him, and that includes his most recent performances.

Royal Danish Ballet shoudl thank its lucky stars.