This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT Fall 2019 NY season

59 minutes ago, Lena C. said:

Yes I agree. Very disappointing, especially since Cornejo has said that Lane is one of his favored, long time partners. We don't know the full story or decisions that went into this casting but still rather strange. Regarding Apollo, I don't see why Lane isn't included. She's certainly been Cornejo's partner longer than Brandt or Trenary. 

Perhaps Herman's sister, Erica, is dancing the female roles? Still, the casting should show this.

1 hour ago, Lena C. said:

Yes I agree. Very disappointing, especially since Cornejo has said that Lane is one of his favored, long time partners. We don't know the full story or decisions that went into this casting but still rather strange. Regarding Apollo, I don't see why Lane isn't included. She's certainly been Cornejo's partner longer than Brandt or Trenary. 

Feels like another season of snub 😞 very disappointing indeed, their chemistry is by far the best in the leads these days, I almost feel they are the last of the best. IMHO there maybe up and comers but they need time to get there, and I am not talking about technique! Sarah has it and yet sadly through the years I have watched her be continuously snubbed for others less worthy. They seem to have more dancers easily handling the modern choreography, but I am not quite sure of any when it comes to the classics. All aside I just spent my limited income at NYCB and got me fill pleasantly, so will continue to read everyone else's thoughts for this fall and hoping the best for Sarah.

Shocked that Sarah Lane is not dancing with Cornejo at his 20th anniversary. How lucky I was last spring to see them partnered in Manon and Sleeping Beauty—a magical partnering in both ballets that took my breath away. Because I no longer take an ABT subscription, it was just lucky that I was able to glory in their performances. My question: why, on his special evening, is his favorite partner shunted aside? If only for his many fans, they should have danced together. And ABT wonders why it loses money and has to cut back its spring NYC season! 

6 hours ago, Lena C. said:

In the past, Cornejo has referred to Lane as "a great artist."  They first performed together in T&V during the spring of 2005 (it was a debut for both; he was a new principal, she was still in the corps).  Yet despite his opinion of her artistry, either he preferred, or acceded to the wishes of management, to cast two soloists and a principal with limited skills and emotional range in his "Apollo" performance, rather than her.  Cornejo is one of the greatest dancers I've ever seen, anywhere; I used to refer to him as a modern-day Nijinsky.  Yet this decision has caused me to lose a large amount of respect for him, especially since I don't see how this situation could be justified in any way.  There are simply too many excuses for poor judgment.  Which is why I prefer to think that it was management's decision.  The AD's bizarre attitude towards Lane has cost her far too much, including her own Swan Lake performance and her dream role, Juliet.  I hope the spring season holds good things for her, but for now, I'm pretty bummed.  

10 minutes ago, laurel said:

There are simply too many excuses for poor judgment.  Which is why I prefer to think that it was management's decision.  The AD's bizarre attitude towards Lane has cost her far too much, including her own Swan Lake performance and her dream role, Juliet.  I hope the spring season holds good things for her, but for now, I'm pretty bummed.  

I think it was definitely management aka the AD's decision. I'm sure Cornejo had a large amount of control over the pieces he wanted to perform. In his choice of partners, I wouldn't be surprised if management allowed the casting of Cornejo's sister as an understood concession over complete control of his other partners. Cornejo and Lane have had such a long and special partnership. I refuse to believe that it was his decision to completely shut Lane out. He just isn't that kind of person. I lay Lane's absence at the feet of the AD, whom we all know doesn't care a fig for her career. 

1 hour ago, Lena C. said:

I refuse to believe that it was his decision to completely shut Lane out. He just isn't that kind of person. I lay Lane's absence at the feet of the AD, whom we all know doesn't care a fig for her career. 

Lena, of course you are right.  Management never fails to disappoint me.  And of course, Erica Cornejo is Herman Cornejo's all-time favorite partner, so it will make the anniversary even more of a special event for him.  Their duet is what I'm most looking forward to that evening.

22 minutes ago, laurel said:

Lena, of course you are right.  Management never fails to disappoint me.  And of course, Erica Cornejo is Herman Cornejo's all-time favorite partner, so it will make the anniversary even more of a special event for him.  Their duet is what I'm most looking forward to that evening.

Agreed Laurel. Management will continue to not prioritize Lane and stall her career. Would not surprise me at all this spring if she's denied her Juliet debut as well as her own Swan Lake. Will probably only get one show of whatever she's cast in, as well as matinee casting. 

I thought the AD would back off Lane on Herman's anniversary but oh well. Of course this is all speculation but hard to come up with a logical reason for Lane's absence. 

Yes, Lane is sadly shut out but Erica Cornejo more than makes up for it. Definitely makes the occasion more special.

1 hour ago, Marta said:

canbelto said:  I am NOT a fan of these dresses for the muses. Way too summer sundress.

Agree! Those tunics  are hideous. Are they new? i don't remember the pleated look when I saw Apollo at ABT about 6-7 years ago.

Yeah, I think they're the same ones as a before. Here are some pics of previous casts. They may look better after they are fitted and get a good steam. The (silver?) embellishments along the top sides of the bodice make no sense to me, though. In theory, I don't mind the idea of pleated tunics for the muses.

julie-kent-in-apollo-abt.jpg?ssl=1

tumblr_pltjceHQ8z1w5bpkdo1_1280.jpg?w=6013219732f6668b24b7c88b78851c8fc1.jpg

Edited by fondoffouettes

I kind of like the pleated dresses. There was a fascinating presentation at the Performing Arts Library last night, on the history of Apollo including various productions and costumes. These dresses are very sedate compared to some of the old productions. Last night's presentation got me interested to see the ABT production (which otherwise I hadn't been planning to see), in order to see the prologue and apotheosis. Off topic from ABT, but at last night's presentation I was most impressed with the old footage of Ib Andersen's Apollo. So intensely human and musical. Really compelling. 

I agree, Cobweb. I also like the pleated skirts and I am also looking forward to the prologue and apotheosis which I feel add so much interest to the ballet. 

I’ve always found Apollo to be reliant on a group of intriguing individuals, rather than its success being the product of this company or that.

23 hours ago, cobweb said:

I kind of like the pleated dresses. There was a fascinating presentation at the Performing Arts Library last night, on the history of Apollo including various productions and costumes. These dresses are very sedate compared to some of the old productions. Last night's presentation got me interested to see the ABT production (which otherwise I hadn't been planning to see), in order to see the prologue and apotheosis. Off topic from ABT, but at last night's presentation I was most impressed with the old footage of Ib Andersen's Apollo. So intensely human and musical. Really compelling. 

Oh that sounds like a really interesting presentation! Do they have a mailing list or something? How does one find out about such things?

Regarding the dresses, I like them much more than NYCB's which appear to be plain white leotards with simple dance skirts. Nothing Greek about them at all.

That said neither look is offensive and I care much more about the dancing.

26 minutes ago, aurora said:

Oh that sounds like a really interesting presentation! Do they have a mailing list or something? How does one find out about such things?

See the NYPL Performing Arts library website, where there is an "events" link. I think you can filter it by subject (such as dance), time of day (lots of them occur during the workday, which is another reason to look forward to retirement!). I recently sent the Performing Arts Library a donation, which probably is why I got a flyer with early notice of the presentations, however, you can easily find them online. 

2 minutes ago, cobweb said:

See the NYPL Performing Arts library website, where there is an "events" link. I think you can filter it by subject (such as dance), time of day (lots of them occur during the workday, which is another reason to look forward to retirement!). I recently sent the Performing Arts Library a donation, which probably is why I got a flyer with early notice of the presentations, however, you can easily find them online. 

Thank you!

Folks, I'm sorry to say that it has happened again...Sarah Lane has once again been demoted to Copeland's understudy. According to Shevchenko's Pointe Magazine takeover on Instagram stories, today (or yesterday rather) Copeland, Cornejo and Lane all had a rehearsal together for Apollo. Clearly Lane is understudying Copeland's part. 

Many of us thought it strange that Lane was not included in Cornejo's anniversary celebration. This reveal that Lane is once again being made to understudy Copeland indicates a strong possibility that management is behind Lane's absence from the anniversary. Management forced Lane to be Copeland's personal understudy last season and now it is happening again...clearly Lane can dance this role in Apollo. She is being kept from it deliberately for some strange reason. The argument that she is already dancing other roles doesn't hold up, because I'm sure she would rather be a part of Cornejo's anniversary. Despite Cornejo's fondness for Brandt and Trenary, I can't see him choosing them over his long partnership with Lane. 

Okay, rant over. I just get so frustrated when I see that Lane is still being held back. Perhaps all of this rant is completely off the mark, I don't have all the facts, but it rankles me when I see that Lane is again assigned Copeland's understudy. Why not another dancer? Why not give Lane the role herself? 

The link for a screenshot is below. https://mobile.twitter.com/bwayfangurl/status/1184701508627156992?s=21

Am I correct that the only other role Copeland is scheduled for during the Koch season besides Terpsichore is Deuce Coupe - a non-ballet role?  I would be thrilled if Lane replaced Copeland in Apollo.  Unfortunately, we won't know if there will actually be a replacement until shortly before showtime.

Edited by abatt
20 minutes ago, abatt said:

I would be thrilled if Lane replaced Copeland in Apollo.  Unfortunately, we won't know if there will actually be a replacement until shortly before showtime.

I had the same thought (as I suspect many others have as well). I count on my fellow BA members to post the news ASAP if there is a replacement, so that I can get a ticket. 

12 minutes ago, cobweb said:

I had the same thought (as I suspect many others have as well). I count on my fellow BA members to post the news ASAP if there is a replacement, so that I can get a ticket. 

Since this is for Cornejo’s anniversary, there aren’t a lot of seats left as it is (I just checked). I’d be thrilled if Lane was put in. She should have been cast all along. Duh. I’m really tired of seeing her being relegated to a second class principal aka understudy to Copeland.

34 minutes ago, abatt said:

Am I correct that the only other role Copeland is scheduled for during the Koch season besides Terpsichore is Deuce Coupe - a non-ballet role? 

Yep. She was just in Fall for Dance at City Center in a piece by Kyle Abraham. I didn’t see it so I don’t know how demanding it was.