This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT 2015 Met season

Re poor writing, yes yes I agree! I score the national teacher exams for prison time teachers......and I'm shocked at what I see!

Not only poor writing, but errors. [....]

Oh dear....autocorrect. Did that say prison time? What a slip....or maybe not. Prospective teachers.

rofl.GIF

The Guggenheim has just posted all three Works and Process Programs from Sunday and Monday to YouTube. Best of all: no commercials!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJ08rQmWB63RWbFoFHRPv5zs1OdSTX7hL&utm_source=hootsuite&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=wp

I know this has been said so many times before, but the fact that Stella hasn't been able to dance a Giselle at the Met has to be one of the greatest injustices in modern ballet! While I've always thought she would be an excellent Giselle, the clip from Works and Process shows that she is light years ahead of the majority of the women getting the opportunity to add Giselle to their repertory. I imagine she would make a great Juliet as well. Such a shame that ABT hasn't allowed her to blossom. If she can dance that well at a works and process, I can only imagine how well she would do on the Met stage, with lights, live orchestra, and an entire corp de ballet around her.

I know this has been said so many times before, but the fact that Stella hasn't been able to dance a Giselle at the Met has to be one of the greatest injustices in modern ballet! While I've always thought she would be an excellent Giselle, the clip from Works and Process shows that she is light years ahead of the majority of the women getting the opportunity to add Giselle to their repertory. I imagine she would make a great Juliet as well. Such a shame that ABT hasn't allowed her to blossom. If she can dance that well at a works and process, I can only imagine how well she would do on the Met stage, with lights, live orchestra, and an entire corp de ballet around her.

Dancerboy90210, I couldn't agree more. I have been saying the same thing for years, like a broken record. In fact, Stella was cast in the Wednesday matinee of Giselle several years ago, but then she got injured, as dancers do, and had to be replaced. She was cast again the following year, but apparently she wasn't completely healed, because she was replaced again. But then her injury healed and she was fine. As fine as fine could be. In fact, she was well enough to dance 10 Auroras in 30 days with the Royal New Zealand Ballet a couple of years ago. And recently danced a Giselle in the Philippines with James Whiteside, her partner at the W&P event. And recently with someone else in the Australian Ballet. Why hasn't ABT's artistic management given her another chance at the role? It boggles the mind.

it's puzzling that Hallberg wouldn't help with sales

Interesting how all the blame or glory is placed on the ballerina in the interview. Does Taylor assume that the danseur has no impact on ticket sales?

Based on my own experience of re-selling Bolshoi tickets, I can tell you that a Zakharova-Hallberg Swan Lake re-sold immediately, but a ShipulinaKrysanova-Hallberg Swan Lake took quite a bit longer, even though the seats in question were practically identical and my asking price was the same.

ABT has just published (at www.abt.org) details on the big 75th Anniv gala on May 18. Lots of surprises, including BILLY THE KID excerpt to open...T&V final movement to close , starring Lane/Gorak. I'll get to give Herrera a final cheer as she'll dance the brief TCHAIKOVSKY PDD solo...Boylston gets Kitri...Semionova and Abrera up for a GISELLE excerpt so I guess that means that Stella will be Myrta? Part only in a Jiri Kilian group number, it seems. Vishneva/Gomes MANON pdd. SWAN LAKE goes to Copeland & Whitehead, as I've noted in Copeland's thread. Lots of other goodies, including archival films and guest speakers, not yet named. Maybe someone can easily post the link to the full list of details? I found it by going to the May calendar and clicking on May 18.

ABT has just published (at www.abt.org) details on the big 75th Anniv gala on May 18. Lots of surprises, including BILLY THE KID excerpt to open...T&V final movement to close , starring Lane/Gorak. I'll get to give Herrera a final cheer as she'll dance the brief TCHAIKOVSKY PDD solo...Boylston gets Kitri...Semionova and Abrera up for a GISELLE excerpt so I guess that means that Stella will be Myrta? Part only in a Jiri Kilian group number, it seems. Vishneva/Gomes MANON pdd. SWAN LAKE goes to Copeland & Whitehead, as I've noted in Copeland's thread. Lots of other goodies, including archival films and guest speakers, not yet named. Maybe someone can easily post the link to the full list of details? I found it by going to the May calendar and clicking on May 18.

See http://metopera.org/metopera/season/abt/opening-night-gala

I was also intrigued to see Billy the Kid listed, but pleased--it's a part of the historical rep that I've always heard about but never seen. EDIT: And the more I read about Robbins' Les Noces, the more interested I get: I didn't know that he'd originally done it for ABT or that it was the last ballet he restaged at NYCB.

A little bit of trivia:

AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE’S 75TH ANNIVERSARY

TO BE FEATURED ON TV’s JEOPARDY!, TUESDAY, MAY 5, 2015

American Ballet Theatre’s 75th Anniversary will be the subject of a category on the television quiz show JEOPARDY! on Tuesday, May 5, 2015. The featured ABT category will include performance footage from several of the upcoming Spring season’s iconic ballets, with clues read by ABT dancers.

The JEOPARDY! crew traveled to ABT’s New York City rehearsal studios in February to film the category’s clues with ABT Principal Dancers Hee Seo and James Whiteside and Soloists Misty Copeland, Sarah Lane and Craig Salstein.

JEOPARDY!, America’s Favorite Quiz Show® and its host, Alex Trebek, are celebrating their 31st season. The top-ranked quiz show, with 25 million viewers each week, JEOPARDY! holds the Guinness World Records® title for the most Emmy® Awards won by a TV game show (32 Emmys), including the 2015 Emmy® for Outstanding Game Show. JEOPARDY! is produced by Sony Pictures Television, a Sony Pictures Entertainment Company; it is distributed domestically by CBS Television Distribution and internationally by CBS Television International, both units of CBS Corp. For more information, please visit Jeopardy.com.

JEOPARDY! is syndicated nationally; check your local listings.

American Ballet Theatre celebrates its 75th Anniversary season at the Metropolitan Opera House, May 11-July 4, 2015. For more information, please visit www.abt.org.

On Sunday, when I first looked, Jeopardy! and all other shows that follow it until 11pm said something like College championship week. Today I saw that individual shows are still listed but the description is College championship week. I'm still going to record the show (I'll be at NYCB) and see what happens.

It's true but there's nobody left alive who saw Nijinsky,not many who saw Nureyev in his prime.

Baryshnikov - that's a totally different story.I've seen him in everything at the then Kirov and many times here in the States at the Kennedy center with ABT,

then with White Oak and now in dramatic roles(I don't mean Sex and the City though he was very good).

Baryshnikov is the greatest male dancer I've ever seen and probably ever will.

A lot of ballets were created for these legends and in my opinion the list of great male dancers is much shorter than that of female but there are quite a few female dancers that have become legends during their lifetime like Pavlova,Ulanova,Fonteyn and the one that we just lost and possibly the greatest of them all Maya Plisetskaya.