This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT 2015 Met season

The casting switcheroo games have begun. They have moved the Lane-Cornejo T&V from Wed May 13 to Tues May 12. The Semionova Stearns T7V has been moved from Tues May 12 to Wed May 13.

Thank you abatt. I was going to buy a ticket based on Lane-Cornejo. Glad I waited. I think I'll wait a while longer. They are not going to sell out.

Yes, it is, Abatt. I am confident I'll be delighted with Gillian, ABT Fan, and I've heard good things about Kim. I don't know much about Semionova and couldn't find much on BA. Any thoughts?:

I'm seeing this same Bayadere cast on Monday June 1 because of Kim. When I saw him in London last August, I was just wowed. I saw him do the PDT in Act 1 of SL as well as the PDT in Concerto DSCH twice. He is a superb virtuosic dancer and has oodles of charisma. When he came flying out downstage with rapid fire chainee turns it was all I could do not to cheer (Londoners are very restrained). But I found him miscast in January, in DC, in Spectre de la Rose, because he was not androgynous enough. I've never seen him dance a full length ballet so we'll get to see how good his acting skills are. I'm excited to see what he'll dance at this YAGP final, on the 16th. Somehow, though, I'm sure he won't disappoint as Solor.

I'm sure Gillian as Gamzatti will be terrific. I'm a bit on the fence about Semionova. She can be beautifully lyrical in slow adagio roles (much of which Bayadere is) or she can be so boring she puts you to sleep. This has happened since she joined ABT with much (appropriate) fanfare but, either because of bad coaching or some other thing I have been finding her progressively less interesting over the course of the last few years (the exception being if she's dancing Ratmansky).

Thanks so much, Amour, for your thoughts. I procured my tickets to Bayadere last night for June 6! My husband is joining me and we'll make a great day of it, visiting the New York Historical Society, too, to see Le Tricorne (see the thread in Heads Up), the Taddeo Gaddi Maesta and lots of other wonderful things. Can't wait. We're in the first row of the dress circle. I chose different sections for the three performances I'm attending to see what I like best. For Giselle, I splurged and bought a ticket in side parterre and for R&J, we're in the orchestra balance. I've decided a fourth performance, for Sleeping Beauty, is just too much; I'd be traveling from Albany to NYC 4 times in a little over 3 weeks, so I'll just have to wait and see it next year, which I must guess they'll perform it. No matter, it's a rare privilege for me to see this much ballet in such a short time. And seeing NYCB May 2, too, the finale of my subscription this year. And, as I've mentioned, after June is NYCB at SPAC. What riches! I'm blessed and grateful.

Albany Girl, I hope you bought tickets in the first row of the side parterre(seats 1,2 or 3). It's ok if you have 1&4 but it's very hard to see from any other seats.

Hi nysusan, thank you for the heads up - my ticket cost $115!! How can one not be able to see for that price? My seat is row 4 seat 4. Please let me know what you think - I didn't notice anything about these seats being partial vision. Thank you innocent.gif

Seat 4 is not great, but it's probably ok if you're tall. It's on the side, so you'll either be looking over the people in 1,2&3 or leaning over to try to look around them. My husband & I had 1&4 one season (4 is behind and to the side of 1) I moved my chair a bit and he is tall so he had no problem seeing. However if you're not tall and the people in 1.2&3 aren't willing to move their seats (and they rarely are because it impacts their comfort & view) you may have a problem

Seat 4 is not great, but it's probably ok if you're tall. It's on the side, so you'll either be looking over the people in 1,2&3 or leaning over to try to look around them. My husband & I had 1&4 one season (4 is behind and to the side of 1) I moved my chair a bit and he is tall so he had no problem seeing. However if you're not tall and the people in 1.2&3 aren't willing to move their seats (and they rarely are because it impacts their comfort & view) you may have a problem

Well, there's nothing I can do about it. I called the box office and they said they don't get complaints about the issue you mention, nysusan, but I can see your point and I am NOt tall, I'm 5'1! I hope it will be okay.

Well, there's nothing I can do about it. I called the box office and they said they don't get complaints about the issue you mention, nysusan, but I can see your point and I am NOt tall, I'm 5'1! I hope it will be okay.

Sometimes people on the phone give you a hard time, but dealing directly with someone in person might yield a different result. If you want to maike an exchange, next time you are at Lincoln Center bring the tickets to the box office window and see what they say. It's worth a shot. The worst they can do is say no.

Personally speaking, I used to sit in side boxes in the Parterre or Grand Tier, but I just found too many problems with those seats. Either my view was obstructed or, when I had a good first row seat in a good box, the other people in the box were so intent on getting a better view that I felt like they were practically seated in my lap. Ruined my experience and I vowed never to sit in the boxes for ballet again. It's one thing to have someone practically in my lap or up in my face on the subway. It's completely another matter for that to occur at a ballet performance where I'm paying good money and looking for an enjoyable experience.

As for the TBA TBA Bayadere, I wouldn't be surprised if they just had Kochetkova and Cornejo fill in, giving them 2 shows instead of their scheduled one. However, Seo as Gamzatti would be too tall for Cornejo to partner. I just hope they announce the change as soon as possible so I can exchange my tickets accordingly.

What do you think about Orchestra Row F on the center aisle? Normally, I wouldn't want to be so close, but the seats the subscriptions seats I got are really crappy and Row F is one possible alternative.

And while we're on it, can anyone clarify: If I am exchanging my subscription tickets for the same performance and same section but the prices have gone up, will I have to pay additional? Last year, I made a few exchanges and expected to have to pay, but never had to.

I agree that row F center aisle orch is a great location. My subscription the last 3 years has been D, E and G center orch right off the aisle and you will see very well, every facial expression-- and their feet, which are often obscured closer than row C. So enjoy! I think this is the best section in the house.

6/5 Bayadere originally Smirnova/Chudin/Seo is now TBA/TBA/Seo, although Met site is still listing the original casts.

Oh no! I knew Smirnova would be out but I figured Chudin would still come and dance with Obraztsova (who will be rehearsing R&J). The only other cast easily slotted in is Kotchekova/Cornejo but as abatt said, Seo is too tall for him. I, too, hope they figure it out soon so I can exchange my tickets.

Not sure if anyone mentioned it previously, but there's additional casting info for the first week of performances: third role in Pilla and the two women characters in Fancy Free.

Added: Ugh. Just noticed they have switched Abrera's dates for Sylphides, and put Boylston in her place. The opening week casting shuffles are getting very annoying. Was so looking forward to seeing Abrera on opening night in Les Sylphides.

Sometimes people on the phone give you a hard time, but dealing directly with someone in person might yield a different result. If you want to maike an exchange, next time you are at Lincoln Center bring the tickets to the box office window and see what they say. It's worth a shot. The worst they can do is say no.

Personally speaking, I used to sit in side boxes in the Parterre or Grand Tier, but I just found too many problems with those seats. Either my view was obstructed or, when I had a good first row seat in a good box, the other people in the box were so intent on getting a better view that I felt like they were practically seated in my lap. Ruined my experience and I vowed never to sit in the boxes for ballet again. It's one thing to have someone practically in my lap or up in my face on the subway. It's completely another matter for that to occur at a ballet performance where I'm paying good money and looking for an enjoyable experience.

As for the TBA TBA Bayadere, I wouldn't be surprised if they just had Kochetkova and Cornejo fill in, giving them 2 shows instead of their scheduled one. However, Seo as Gamzatti would be too tall for Cornejo to partner. I just hope they announce the change as soon as possible so I can exchange my tickets accordingly.

How I wish I'd know this (or asked) before I purchased my seat! The ticket price alone made me think it had to be a good seat. Well, thank you Abatt and everyone else for your input. I do hope it works out ermm.gif.

Personally speaking, I used to sit in side boxes in the Parterre or Grand Tier, but I just found too many problems with those seats. Either my view was obstructed or, when I had a good first row seat in a good box, the other people in the box were so intent on getting a better view that I felt like they were practically seated in my lap. Ruined my experience and I vowed never to sit in the boxes for ballet again.

I'd give the same advice at the Palais Garnier. I had a ticket to one of the front seats in a side box for the opera, and the boyfriend of the woman behind me kept pushing her forward towards the very small space between me and the other front row person. It was a constant annoyance, and I would never do it again, if the seats behind me are moveable.

Sometimes people on the phone give you a hard time, but dealing directly with someone in person might yield a different result. If you want to maike an exchange, next time you are at Lincoln Center bring the tickets to the box office window and see what they say. It's worth a shot. The worst they can do is say no

Today I had no problem switching my May 13th ticket to May 12. No extra dynamic pricing charge. (Of course I totally forgot I had NYCB La Syphide tickets for May 12).

I think it's also the content of the mixed programs. Personally, given the fact that ABT has frequently performed Fancy Free in the recent past, as well as the fact that NYCB also performs it, I've had my fill of that ballet. In the battle of the T&V showdown, NYCB wins hands down.

I think it's also the content of the mixed programs.

Indeed! At one early point, a revival of Push Comes to Shove was on the mixed bill for the Kennedy Center (and, I hoped, the Met season). I would have crawled through glass to see it again - especially if they cast Cornejo in the Baryshnikov role. But once that disappeared from the rep, well, never mind.

I think it's also the content of the mixed programs. Personally, given the fact that ABT has frequently performed Fancy Free in the recent past, as well as the fact that NYCB also performs it, I've had my fill of that ballet. In the battle of the T&V showdown, NYCB wins hands down.

I'm afraid that we will not see Tudor's Pillar of Fire and Jardin aux Lilas for a while after this season.