This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT 2015 Met season

What would have made sense would have been to move Hee Seo from the opening night "Giselle" to the Wednesday matinee. Then Herrera's farewell would have been on the Friday opening night.

Agreed. Is it possible they will still move it? I feel bad for Herrera going out on a Wednesday matinee. But it seems Herrera got pretty decent reviews from her OC SB, so I'm thinking this has to be her decision to not dance SB at the Met.

Well, I'm bummed as it looked as if I was going to be able to catch Herrera's farewell in Sleeping Beauty (and was looking forward to it). I won't be coming up to NY for Giselle at all. And, having seen her dance it just a couple of years ago, tend to agree that it's not her greatest role. But likely it will be a moving performance.

(Sidenote: I think Sleeping Beauty calls for as much "artistry" as Giselle; it's a different kind sure. But it's not as if it's a role in which "artistry" makes no difference. I suspect that wasn't exactly intended by what was written above.)

If she must be replaced in Sleeping Beauty, then I hope it's Murphy!

What would have made sense would have been to move Hee Seo from the opening night "Giselle" to the Wednesday matinee. Then Herrera's farewell would have been on the Friday opening night.

Absolutely agree.

And in the perfect world, that might have been what they would do. But there are all kinds of interlocking elements in this kind of schedule, and it may be, at this point in the process, the only option they had was the one they took.

Every so often, my sister and I try to teach ourselves mahjong. Like chess, it's a game where you have to think several moves ahead of the one you're currently making. I am not very good at it, and I would not be very good at scheduling performances.

Absolutely agree.

But there are all kinds of interlocking elements in this kind of schedule, and it may be, at this point in the process, the only option they had was the one they took.

Maybe. And I'm sure we'll never know the reason why this is playing out this way. But these two casts (Seo/Stearns and Herrera/Whiteside) are all full-time principals who are dancing the entire Met season, not part-timers or guest artists who have other engagements that need to be taken into consideration in regards to scheduling. So in this instance I don't see the difficulty in swapping them out of respect to Herrera.

Outrageous. How insulting for Paloma and her fans. She learned the new SB role, so why did she suddenly have a change of heart now. No adequate partner for her?

This may be her choice. She might want to finish in a work she knows well.

After Cosa Mesa, I wonder whether she decided to retire in a more familiar ballet, especially given all the nerves and emotions of a farewell. But a Wednesday matinee is outrageous. And on the same day as Xiomara? What is Kevin thinking (or is he punishing her for changing her plans). Also, as abatt mentioned, the farewells are more expensive (a first for ABT and not a good precedent). Those who bought tickets for June 9 should get refunds.

BTW, has anyone who ordered a Trios subscription gotten their tickets? My credit was charged but still no tickets received.

I could not believe it when I read about Paloma’s farewell performance being changed to a Wednesday matinee. It breaks my heart to see her treated so callously.

Amour - I still haven't received my create your own series/subscription tickets yet. I called the MET on Friday, and they said they were mailed and we should be getting them soon.

I had a ticket for the previously announced farewell (cast now TBA), and now will have to miss her, as it's her only performance at the Met this summer. Odd that the rescheduling also causes there to be a farewell at both that day's matinee and evening perfs. That's going to take a lot of confetti!

Amour - I received my trio/create your own series tickets a little while ago.

Has anyone received the exchange ticket instructions with their trios/create your own tickets? The MET only included a form to mail exchange tickets back to the box office, but nothing else. Does anyone have the priority exchange dates, and know if box office exchanges are still possible 24 hours before a performance? Thanks.

As close relative to a professional dancer and surrogate mom to dozens of others over the last 25+ years, I can attest to the fact that dancers regard matinee casting as inferior unless it's a ballet for children. Critics and balletomanes come out at night. Most of the dancers I know crave their attention (even while they sometimes dread it from the former).

I feel sorry for Reyes because I think it affects her too, although not as much. I wonder how many people who had planned to attend both farewells will be forced to choose one or the other.

Absolutely agree.

And in the perfect world, that might have been what they would do. But there are all kinds of interlocking elements in this kind of schedule, and it may be, at this point in the process, the only option they had was the one they took.

Every so often, my sister and I try to teach ourselves mahjong. Like chess, it's a game where you have to think several moves ahead of the one you're currently making. I am not very good at it, and I would not be very good at scheduling performances.

Agreed with sandik. This isn't just a matter of finding a "switchable" performance...it's also a matter of finding when a partner with whom she wants to dance can be open...and Hallberg's departure has left ABT with no slack. (Osipova still doesn't have a partner for the following night.)

Too, while we in the audience may have received more pleasure from seeing her in a gruelling role like Aurora, it wouldn't be surprising if Herrera (after last week's SB) decided that she actually wanted to savor her last performance, rather than exit the stage feeling dead.

Has anyone received the exchange ticket instructions with their trios/create your own tickets? The MET only included a form to mail exchange tickets back to the box office, but nothing else. Does anyone have the priority exchange dates, and know if box office exchanges are still possible 24 hours before a performance? Thanks.

I finally got my tickets and,no, no info about the priority week or box office exchanges or any other benefits. I know tickets go on sale to the general public March 22. Generally, the priority week is the week just before. But I will call and ask to make sure. I'd suggest doing the same. The telephone number is 212-362-6000.

I finally got my tickets and,no, no info about the priority week or box office exchanges or any other benefits. I know tickets go on sale to the general public March 22. Generally, the priority week is the week just before. But I will call and ask to make sure. I'd suggest doing the same. The telephone number is 212-362-6000.

Priority sales happen beginning this Sunday, March 15th at the Met Box Office. I think the windows open at Noon.

Thanks Amour and mimsyb.

mimsyb - Do you also have the information with regard to exchanges once the season has started? I just called the Box Office to make sure I can still exchange tickets 24 hours before my scheduled performance, but the agent didn’t seem to know what I was talking about. I said I still had the 2014 instructions that came with last year’s ABT tickets and the policy was 24 hours. Then she said yes, 24 hours. I just wanted to make sure nothing has changed since the agent seemed confused. Thanks.

Thanks Amour and mimsyb.

mimsyb - Do you also have the information with regard to exchanges once the season has started? I just called the Box Office to make sure I can still exchange tickets 24 hours before my scheduled performance, but the agent didn’t seem to know what I was talking about. I said I still had the 2014 instructions that came with last year’s ABT tickets and the policy was 24 hours. Then she said yes, 24 hours. I just wanted to make sure nothing has changed since the agent seemed confused. Thanks.

Yes, last year you could exchange tickets 24 hours in advance for the same seating area without dynamic pricing taking effect. Let's hope that is true this year..

Not sure if people on the board read all the other threads, but in the April La Scala Giselles, Hallberg is replaced by Sergei Polunin as Osipova's partner. I hope McKenzie does not choose him for the ABT season as Osipova's Giselle partner, which is currently that old stalwart TBA. He was out of shape and sloppy when I saw him about 2 years ago. I can only imagine that he has gone downhill even further in more recent times.

Oooh, that's a loaded idea considering Golding's own background with ABT and the company's conspicuous failure to develop his talent. I'm not sure McKenzie could bear to showcase a dancer he allowed to get away.

Another dancer that KM allowed to get away is Sae Eun Park who was in the Studio Co . Now she is a soloist at the Paris Opera Ballet but has danced the lead in La Source( to great acclaim) and is scheduled to dance O/O in Swan Lake at the POB. She is also dancing Nikiya (La Bayadere) at the Kirov during this years International Ballet festival.

What about Thomas Forster? .... Surely he could make a fine fist of an Albrecht; one which would honour Osipova's efforts. Oh, and isn't Osipova enough of a name/draw herself for the performance????? ... especially in that role????? If they needed to - if they REALLY MUST - bring someone from outside then perhaps McKenzie could give a break to the young Italian dancer who has twice stepped in to partner Osipova at La Scala, Claudio Coviello. Why not turn some tables. I saw him dance with Rojo in DQ too and felt he had potential. What about pairing Osipova with someone from NYCB ... ???? .... (Well, they brought Veyette in for T&V didn't they? I realise that IS Balanchine and all ... but still ....) In the day, I would have given anything to see Boal dance Albrecht .... and I personally think Tyler Angle might well be very special in that assignment ... plus I have a feeling he would respond well to Osipova. Just a hunch ... Or what about De Luz???? There's a bevy experience in those feet :)