This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT 2015 Met season

According to the ABT website, A Cojucaru will guest as Nikiya with H Cornejo on June 5. M Copeland will be Gamzatti.

Thanks for heads up...Barring natural or other disaster I will be there (having bought tickets some time ago)--and I am very well satisfied with this solution.

A couple of years ago Cojocaru didn't dance the most dazzling Nikiya I've seen, but one of the most beautiful and altogether the most spiritual ... Thrilled to be seeing Cornejo as well and more than intrigued to see how Copeland builds on her earlier performances of Gamzatti.

But...uh...wishing Olga Smirnova a complete recovery from all injury and a successful return to the stage very soon.

According to the ABT website, A Cojucaru will guest as Nikiya with H Cornejo on June 5. M Copeland will be Gamzatti.

Ugh, this irritates me. Hasn't she backed out on ABT due to injury the last few years? Why can't they give one of their own dancers a Nikiya.

Seriously!

I think both times Cojocaru backed out it was Swan Lake (I had tickets for both of those and was really disappointed). She did all her other roles and I think it unlikely that she'll back out of this. She is a unique and amazing artist BUT I wish they had stuck with the home team and given someone an opportunity. This a perfect chance to help someone develop. It's like KM doesn't trust the talent in the company.

I thought ABT was done with Cojocaru, so I'm surprised. I was hoping they would invite Tereshkina and Shklyarov back. I'm not a fan of Cojocaru at this stage in her career (I think she's ruined her body) and have zero interest in seeing Misty. I'll be exchanging my ticket for the second Kimin Kim/ Semionova performance.

I thought ABT was done with Cojocaru, so I'm surprised. I was hoping they would invite Tereshkina and Shklyarov back. I'm not a fan of Cojocaru at this stage in her career (I think she's ruined her body) and have zero interest in seeing Misty. I'll be exchanging my ticket for the second Kimin Kim/ Semionova performance.

Cojocaru is a principal with English National Ballet plus permanent guest in Hamburg and Bucharest National Opera. Perhaps she was invited as a guest this season but declined due to other committments? Her website indicates that she is appearing in Tokyo Ballet's La Bayadere on June 11th. Casting has not been announced for the premiere of Neumeir's Peer Gynt in Hamburg but the ballet has a large cast so there should be a good chance of Cojocaru being included.

I'm a bit puzzled by the general comments on Cojocaru's reliability. If I remember correctly, between 2010-14 Cojocaru stepped out of three ABT performances. Two were in 2013 (Swan Lake and Sleeping Beauty) when she had an ankle injury and the cast change was announced several weeks before. She and Kobborg even performed an extra Sleeping Beauty in 2011 to replace Osipova. Apart from one Swan Lake with the former Cojocaru hasn't missed any performances with ENB or Hamburg, so overall I would book to see her with confidence.

But yes, it is a shame that an ABT ballerina isn't being given that spot. I always thought Stella Abrera would be a lovely Nikiya.

cojucaru also backed out of a sleeping beauty in 2013. That was devastating because I paid a lot of pretty pennies to see her as Aurora and was v. unsatisfied with the replacement's performance.

I was at that performance. Maria Kochetkova replaced Cojocaru. I was very disappointed, too.

I'll be exchanging my ticket too. Not sure yet for which performance, but Kimin Kim is a good guess. Cojocaru is NOT a satisfactory replacement for Smirnova! i would have definitely gone to see Stella.

She comes because she's invited to dance and, I imagine (as most of the guest artists), paid very well. Do her tickets not sell well? How would she know that the part of the ABT audience thinks so little of her?

I have to disagree that abt audiences think little of Cojocaru. She is a star and a unique talent. Some of her performances are highlights of my ballet going.I was disappointed by her Swan Lake cancellations but would still like to see it. In this case I am objecting to any guest filling in, not specifically Cojocaru. It would have been a good opportunity for a home team player.

That was my point. I do not agree that the ABT audiences think too little of her. She is amazing. Perhaps there are a few on this board, but it's definitely a minority. I also agree with you, vipa, that this opening presents a good opportunity for someone inside the company.

If I'm not mistaken, the only home team player who knows the role of Nikiya already but isn't dancing it is Murphy. (Kent is too old and gave up that role years ago, and dear Paloma will already be retired by that point.) Having seen Murphy's Nikiya already in the past, I feel it is not a good fit for her and I would not return to see her in that role. It is probably now too late to start training a new Nikiya from scratch.

That was my point. I do not agree that the ABT audiences think too little of her. She is amazing. Perhaps there are a few on this board, but it's definitely a minority. I also agree with you, vipa, that this opening presents a good opportunity for someone inside the company.

But who else is prepared to step into this role within the ranks? Seo could have been given it, as her only performance on Wed. matinee would give her time to recover. Not so much the others surrounding the Friday date that Smirnova had. Has anyone else danced it from the company? I can see the reasoning behind the Cojocaru hiring. For me, this was, I think, the very first role I saw Cojocaru dance way back when and I was totally blown away by her. Over the years she has become the most amazing artist. I will gladly not trade in my ticket so I get another chance to see Cojocaru. She can still produce and astound.

Maybe at this point, there would not be enough time to train someone to do the role (although it took six weeks for the entire company to learn all of Ratmansky's Sleeping Beauty, no? So somehow I doubt that one of ABTs ballerinas couldn't pull this off).

But Smirnova pulling out due to injury has been obvious for a LONG time. She hasn't danced since 2014, and people have been complaining for at least a month that there was no way that Smirnova could dance that Bayadere. I have nothing personally against Cojocaru. I've never seen her live, but I've seen a lot of video of her and find her a gorgeous dancer. My dislike of this move is more directed at ABT management. I don't know why I keep expecting something different from them. But barring what happens promotion wise after this season, I do think I'm going to take my membership money and put it towards seeing other companies.

Yes, finally streaming but is anybody else getting undone by these ads? It was bad enough when it interrupted the interviews but it just cut in T&V with a chicken finger ad! And then I lost the streaming. They promised a taped video. I might have to watch it then.

Yes, finally streaming but is anybody else getting undone by these ads? It was bad enough when it interrupted the interviews but it just cut in T&V with a chicken finger ad! And then I lost the streaming. They promised a taped video. I might have to watch it then.

The ads were making me super angry. I missed all of Rodeo because of a yogurt ad.

T&V was Sarah Lane and Joe Gorak.