This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT Met Season 2023

ABT suffers HUGELY from the lack of top level coaching. 90 year old Irina can't be expected to coach every principal and soloist the way they need to be coached. That should be Jaffe's #1 priority, getting excellent, knowledgeable coaches on the payroll.

22 minutes ago, Fleurfairy said:

ABT suffers HUGELY from the lack of top level coaching. 90 year old Irina can't be expected to coach every principal and soloist the way they need to be coached. That should be Jaffe's #1 priority, getting excellent, knowledgeable coaches on the payroll.

That may be true, but I think at least part of their current issues  relate to their decision that the vast majority of their company will  now come from their own school only. They do not have a school of stellar reputation (like SAB), so their pool of potential dancers is not as strong as it needs to be.

1 hour ago, abatt said:

That may be true, but I think at least part of their current issues  relate to their decision that the vast majority of their company will  now come from their own school only. They do not have a school of stellar reputation (like SAB), so their pool of potential dancers is not as strong as it needs to be.

Recruiting the vast majority from JKO only might be an aspiration, but it is not what is happening in practice.  Studio Company members are sourced primarily from competitions (Prix de Lausanne, YAGP) and other leading schools (some on current roster from Royal, Vaganova, Canada's National Ballet School, Houston Ballet...).  A few of these recruits have attended JKO for a period of time, but many never trained there at all.  They are all very talented though, and perhaps the 1-2 year stint in the studio company helps unify their style and ethos. 

6 hours ago, Fleurfairy said:

I agree but the rep itself has certain challenges. I haven't seen Water for Chocolate, but I hope there is a lot of solid and difficult dancing for the men in the corps. The other ballets at the Met are Giselle, Swan Lake and R&J.  With rep like that it's hard to develop as a dancer

59 minutes ago, ba11et0mane said:

does anyone know what ballet the costumes that ABT is having a photoshoot for belong to? it can be seen on cate hurlin’s instagram and zimmi cokers as well. white tutus and black as well. not swan lake or bayadere from the detailing. any thoughts ? 

I'm very curious, so I'm pasting the pics here for anyone who may not be on Instagram. They don't look familiar to me.

hurlin.png

coker-1.png

coker-2.png

trenary posted a photo of gillian murphy in the studio in full titania costume for the dream. praying to god that it’s a throwback from last years shoot but based off the similar met season  programming we got this year compared to last year you never know!

1 hour ago, ba11et0mane said:

trenary posted a photo of gillian murphy in the studio in full titania costume for the dream. praying to god that it’s a throwback from last years shoot but based off the similar met season  programming we got this year compared to last year you never know!

Gillian just posted the titania shot on her own Instagram: "today at work"

https://www.instagram.com/p/CsE9Y8QPMVe/

For some reason, the Met Opera website is listing Brandt and Gonzalez as Tita and Pedro for Monday June 26, but the ABT website lists Teucher and Ahn.  Any thoughts on which source is correct?  

I would check out Brandt as Tita, but passing on Teuscher/Ahn.

17 minutes ago, abatt said:

For some reason, the Met Opera website is listing Brandt and Gonzalez as Tita and Pedro for Monday June 26, but the ABT website lists Teucher and Ahn.  Any thoughts on which source is correct?  

Just a guess, but it’s probably an error on the MET site as I only see Brandt listed as Gertrudis for the entire run of LWFC.  But of course she may have learned both roles, so you never know…..

18 minutes ago, abatt said:

ABT website has been updated. Its Brandt/Gonzalez on the 26th and I am buying a ticket!

7 hours ago, nysusan said:

ABT website has been updated. Its Brandt/Gonzalez on the 26th and I am buying a ticket!

I saw LWFC on April 1st, with Tuescher and Ahn. I  am very excited for Carlos and Skylar. Carlos was excellent as the “Revolutionary “ in the production I saw. Good for Susan Jaffe for casting them. 

15 minutes ago, MoMo said:

I saw LWFC on April 1st, with Tuescher and Ahn. I  am very excited for Carlos and Skylar. Carlos was excellent as the “Revolutionary “ in the production I saw. Good for Susan Jaffe for casting them. 

How were Tuescher and Ahn?

8 hours ago, MoMo said:

Devon was excellent. Ahn is a good dancer but not a good actor. This part requires Pedro to be passionate. He did not convey that, imo. 

And yet he is a principal, sadly this is when I miss those golden years 😒 why don't they give them the proper coaching before they promote so many who just don't have the all-around makings of a principal? In recent years the promotions of soloists and principals are technically good but IMHO I find them with a lack of acting/emotions. As far as I am concerned this isn't the "world-class" ballet company it used to be, especially with so many companies nationally and internationally doing such wonderful work. I would love to see Australian Ballet here with David whom I miss on this stage.

I think Ahn was promoted prematurely. It happened in 2020 during the pandemic shutdown when the company decided to promote several dancers. Neither Ahn nor Bell had danced a single full season as soloists when they were promoted to principal. Bell had already proven himself in several full-length dramatic and classical ballets, including Swan Lake and Romeo and Juliet, however. 

Given the shortage of leading-man types in the company, I can see why they promoted Ahn (he has strong classical technique and partnering abilities and is tall/handsome), but the acting chops are sadly not there... at least not yet, and without adequate coaching they're unlikely to emerge. 

Overall I'm pleased with Jaffe's casting decisions so far. She seems less concerned with seniority and past conventions from the McKenzie era (like giving preference to Seo and Boylston in pretty much every role). It's about time that corps dancers like Zimmi Coker and Carlos Gonzalez get opportunities to shine. 

13 minutes ago, stuben said:

As far as I am concerned this isn't the "world-class" ballet company it used to be, especially with so many companies nationally and internationally doing such wonderful work. 

Yes.  That's why I doubt they will ever resume an 8 week season at the Met. They don't have an impressive roster anymore.