This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

New York City Ballet 2022-2023 season

On 8/11/2022 at 10:28 PM, cobweb said:

On another note, I wish they would provide photos of all the dancers alongside their bios. They have always been slow to get pics up, but it's gotten ridiculous. Lauren Collet joined the corps in November 2019, and there is still no pic of her, nor of anyone who's joined since then. I like to be able to identify the new ones, and it's almost impossible without the pics. 

Yes, they are slow with the dancer headshots. There are a few interim places to look for photos, however. Newer dancers are often featured in NYCBallet's Instagram. They also have interviews (short 5 question articles) on their website, from time to time.

I know you didn't ask about these particular dancers, but this is an example of what's on NYCB's Instagram

Quinn Starner  https://www.instagram.com/p/CcqhJzFsDI5/

Rommie Tommasini https://www.instagram.com/p/CcqhR0phTRy/

LAUREN COLLETT https://www.instagram.com/p/CBv5VnuHwEU/  (FOUND IT!)

Edited by BalanchineFan
clarity

Speaking of photos,  the new poster for NYCB's fall and winter season keeps popping up in my browser,  and I seriously don't get it.  It's a swirl of yellow and blue with a few body parts visible,  but no clear representation of a ballet dancer.  The most discernible human image appears to be a balding man in a strapless sheath dress.  Everything is heavily blurred.  What's up with that?  Ballet fans do like to see photos of dancers.  Or has NYCB decided that's not hip enough?  I wonder who they think finds this campaign appealing.

7 hours ago, On Pointe said:

Speaking of photos,  the new poster for NYCB's fall and winter season keeps popping up in my browser,  and I seriously don't get it.  It's a swirl of yellow and blue with a few body parts visible,  but no clear representation of a ballet dancer.  The most discernible human image appears to be a balding man in a strapless sheath dress.  Everything is heavily blurred.  What's up with that?  Ballet fans do like to see photos of dancers.  Or has NYCB decided that's not hip enough?  I wonder who they think finds this campaign appealing.

I agree. This campaign is a miss, IMO, and I usually like the NYCB advertising. 

On 8/15/2022 at 11:27 AM, abatt said:

Solange Enters New Territory: Ballet Composer - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Solange Knowles will compose the music for Reisin's new ballet.

Verrrry interesting. It sounds like a fascinating Fall Fashion Gala: Solange and Gianna Reisen, Kyle Abraham and Giles Deacon, Justin Peck and Raf Simons and SYMPHONY IN C! Maybe I'll try to get a ticket to the gala itself.

Looking forward to Week 1 casting going up. I wish the website were a little easier to navigate. I can't find a straightforward, night-by-night listing of the specific programming (as opposed to, say, "Classic NYCB" with no specifics). Am I missing something? Also like others said up-thread, I don't understand the video background/ advertising. I kind of enjoy the flowing colors, but I don't see anything at all that has to do with ballet there. Just hinting at youthful, generic modern dancing, that's what I get. Bring on the ballet!!

8 hours ago, cobweb said:

Looking forward to Week 1 casting going up. I wish the website were a little easier to navigate. I can't find a straightforward, night-by-night listing of the specific programming (as opposed to, say, "Classic NYCB" with no specifics). Am I missing something? Also like others said up-thread, I don't understand the video background/ advertising. I kind of enjoy the flowing colors, but I don't see anything at all that has to do with ballet there. Just hinting at youthful, generic modern dancing, that's what I get. Bring on the ballet!!

Funny you should mention it cobweb. I was just making similar observations about the website. I've found it easiest to click on "view full calendar"  and then the date I'm interested in. A list of the ballets being performed pops up. Awkward, at best. The overall look and layout of the site makes we wonder who it is aimed at.

59 minutes ago, vipa said:

Funny you should mention it cobweb. I was just making similar observations about the website. I've found it easiest to click on "view full calendar"  and then the date I'm interested in. A list of the ballets being performed pops up. Awkward, at best. The overall look and layout of the site makes we wonder who it is aimed at.

Totally agree with cobweb and vipa about NYCB's UN user-friendly site.  In the past it was not as counter intuitive. Why did they change it for the worse? Definitely "view full calendar" is the easiest way to find complete programming. 

48 minutes ago, Marta said:

Definitely "view full calendar" is the easiest way to find complete programming. 

... but when I click "view full calendar," I still don't see the details. I just see the date listed, say, September 23, "All Balanchine I," a pic from Divertimento No. 15... but no indication of the other ballets on the program, and clicking on the entry is blank, nothing else comes up. 

44 minutes ago, Marta said:

@cobweb:   Something must be screwy.  When I click on the date, I get the program and two options, subscribe or buy tickets.

Thanks, Marta! Yeah, that's odd - it looks like there are hyperlinks on the name of the program ("Balanchine I") and pic, but when I click on them I get nothing. No idea what's wrong. I wish they had the old PDF available, 

1 hour ago, cobweb said:

Thanks, Marta! Yeah, that's odd - it looks like there are hyperlinks on the name of the program ("Balanchine I") and pic, but when I click on them I get nothing. No idea what's wrong. I wish they had the old PDF available, 

Do you want to know the program for a specific date?  I could try it.

3 hours ago, cobweb said:

I wish they had the old PDF available, 

They've squirreled those PDFs on the subscription page: https://www.nycballet.com/season-and-tickets/subscribe/22-23-subscription-packages/

Fall 22: https://res.cloudinary.com/new-york-city-ballet/image/upload/v1660672233/Documents/Calendars/NYCB_Fall_2022_Calendar?_a=AACnOEz

Winter 23: https://res.cloudinary.com/new-york-city-ballet/image/upload/v1660672237/Documents/Calendars/NYCB_Winter_2023_Calendar?_a=AACnOEz

Spring 23: https://res.cloudinary.com/new-york-city-ballet/image/upload/v1660672235/Documents/Calendars/NYCB_Spring_2023_Calendar?_a=AACnOEz

It's very frustrating to have to go digging for the PDFs; I remember them being easier to access before. Echo others' confusion about why these are now so difficult to find.

19 minutes ago, mille-feuille said:

They've squirreled those PDFs on the subscription page:

Thank you, mille-feuille! That is what I've been looking for, to see at a glance what's on offer and when. Why do they make it so difficult??

ETA: I don't understand the "Classic NYCB II" program. If two of the pieces on the program are premieres, how can that be considered "Classic"?

Edited by cobweb

Like everyone else, I've been hunting for the PDFs NYCB used to post and keep up to date with changes.  Unfortunately these particular fall, winter and spring PDFs are from the subscription packages mailed out months ago and they are not being updated.  I wouldn’t have realized it, except that the fall pdf has the same error (TPDD vs Duo) for the fall’s Masters at Work: Balanchine and Robbins.  Duo is correct btw.  No idea if anything else is different or has changed as I haven’t checked the pdfs against the website itself.  This one just stood out to me.

I noticed an even bigger issue when I was buying additional tickets a few days ago.  When I used the drop down menu to check for seats for other dates of the same program, it brought up the dates for other seasons with the same program name but which have completely different ballets.  It does not tell you the ballets are different.  Fortunately I had my subscription material in front of me when buying additional performances and knew they didn’t match.   Classic NYCB I and II were a couple I noticed.

NYCB re-uses program names all the time, but they should not do so in the same 12 month period if it is going to pull up different ballets that just happen to have the same heading/program name.   

24 minutes ago, nanushka said:

It actually depends on the date; they're doing Tchai Pas on Sept 24m and 29e.

How right you are!  I do not see it listed under the ballets for that program on the main fall page, but I see a blurb at the top of the linked page indicating that duo is replaced by TPDD for those two dates.  Talk about confusion!  Anyway, thanks!

https://www.nycballet.com/season-and-tickets/fall-22