This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT SS Met Season - casting?

12 minutes ago, nanushka said:

The Times is reporting that Roman Zhurbin has also been promoted to principal:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/12/arts/dance/ballet-theater-promotions-daniel-camargo-catherine-hurlin.html

"The title role in Don Quixote." Well, yes, I suppose, but...

This flabbergasts me. I love Zhurbin - he is a remarkable and invaluable actor. But, to principal? Have they ever promoted someone to principal before who only does character roles and rarely ever actually dances?

1 minute ago, FauxPas said:

Also, I wonder how much planning was done for the Fall season at the Koch and if Jaffe is making changes to that.

When is Jaffe taking over? Although there was an event for McKenzie's "farewell" on Saturday, I thought he was actually continuing on through the fall season. (That may have changed, or I may have misunderstood whatever I read that gave me that impression.)

I knew Cat Hurlin would make principal after 2 successful debuts in Don Q and Swan lake! Very well deserved. 

I'm surprised about Roman Zhurbin, doesn't he do mostly character roles? Maybe more of a thank you for your service promotion? Confused about this one. 

Now the soloists rank is lopsided towards the females. Though perhaps Luciana Paris intends to retire soon? But I totally called Chloe Misseldine to soloist this season. She was given lots of demi soloists roles and she knocked them out of the park. Sunmi I was not shocked about but I didn't guess it thinking they would go Coker instead. I feel like Misseldine and Park are two that are on the principal track getting promoted basically after their first Met season. Betsy may end up being a forever soloist and Breanne I think still has a chance. 

I'm bummed about Zimmi Coker as I thought she would be soloist now. 

Sungwoo Han was great in the pas de trios so I figured he may be promoted but I was also expecting Curley, Frenette to be promoted also. 

Edited by balletlover08
11 minutes ago, nanushka said:

When is Jaffe taking over? Although there was an event for McKenzie's "farewell" on Saturday, I thought he was actually continuing on through the fall season. (That may have changed, or I may have misunderstood whatever I read that gave me that impression.)

McKenzie departs in December 2022. 

No disrespect to Zhurbin but what is the point of promoting a 37-year old who only performs character roles to principal while leaving promising princely types (e.g. Curley, Frenette) in the corps?? The mysteries of ABT! So surprised about Coker; I thought she more than earned a soloist promotion between last fall and this spring. 

Perhaps they will promote a lump of male soloists together at some point. The new Mercutios from the corps haven't even made their debuts yet as of today. 

12 minutes ago, balletlover08 said:

I knew Cat Hurlin would make principal after 2 successful debuts in Don Q and Swan lake! Very well deserved. 

I'm surprised about Roman Zhurbin, doesn't he do mostly character roles? Maybe more of a thank you for your service promotion? Confused about this one. 

Now the soloists rank is lopsided towards the females. Though perhaps Luciana Paris intends to retire soon? But I totally called Chloe Misseldine to soloist this season. She was given lots of demi soloists roles and she knocked them out of the park. Sunmi I was not shocked about but I didn't guess it thinking they would go Coker instead. I feel like Misseldine and Park are two that are on the principal track getting promoted basically after their first Met season. Betsy may end up being a forever soloist and Breanne I think still has a chance. 

I'm bummed about Zimmi Coker as I thought she would be soloist now. 

Sungwoo Han was great in the pas de trios so I figured he may be promoted but I was also expecting Curley, Frenette to be promoted also. 

I was also expecting Coker. As for the men, I was also expecting Curley and Frenette. They have done outstanding work and received excellent notices, especially in Of Love and Rage, and Swan Lake. 

Zhurbin is a great character dancer, one of the best in the world.  I think it's a sign of respect for his body of work as McKenzie departs.  Zhurbin can keep dancing for much longer than others because  he only does character roles.

12 minutes ago, balletlover08 said:

15 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

This flabbergasts me. I love Zhurbin - he is a remarkable and invaluable actor. But, to principal? Have they ever promoted someone to principal before who only does character roles and rarely ever actually dances?

Jarod Curley has time to be promoted to soloist.  Ditto Zimmi Coker.

As for a principal who is primarily a character dancer/mime artist, in the late 80's to the early 90's Michael Owen was a principal dancer with ABT, he danced roles like the Rajah and High Brahmin in "La Bayadere", Don Quixote, etc.

34 minutes ago, abatt said:

Zhurbin is a great character dancer, one of the best in the world.  I think it's a sign of respect for his body of work as McKenzie departs.  Zhurbin can keep dancing for much longer than others because  he only does character roles.

San Francisco Ballet actually has a category "Principal Character" dancer, with three people. That might serve ABT well for situations like this.

https://www.sfballet.org/the-company/artists/dancers/principal-characters/

I'll throw William Carter and Marcos Paredes into the discussion to represent the Lucia Chase era.  And lets not forget Norah Kay, the original dramatic ballerina. And Sallie Wilson who I think is considered the last of that breed. There was a time when being a principle dancer didn't mean that you were guaranteed a shot at the leading role in the classics, but more that you were performing your specialties at an exceptionally high level.

Edited by lmspear
Finishing thought.
20 minutes ago, lacdescygnes said:

Perhaps Zhurbin's promotion means ABT will show more ballets like The Green Table where character artists have more of a leading role? Zhurbin was terrific (and terrifying) last time ABT staged The Green Table, which seems like far too long ago

Interesting idea, I hope they bring back Green Table. Agree, Roman was both terrific and terrifying in that.

I see everyone’s point on Roman. He has always been a favorite of mine and I was over the moon when he was made a soloist years ago in recognition of his exceptional dramatic abilities. I found his promotion to principal so shocking because one it’s rare (now) at ABT to honor an actor and two I always consider how few principals there are (this isn’t NYCB) so I immediately think of a spot that could have gone to someone else (now or in the near future). But, my later point shouldn’t matter in terms of Roman and there isn’t a current male soloist waiting in the wings to be promoted imo. The one thing about Roman is that he makes the “smallest” role one of the most important. And, when you’re able to see multiple casts in a given ballet, like I did in DQ for example, even though there are other very good actors in the company, when you’re able to compare one role from one night to the next with Roman and other casts you can really see how exceptional he is.

32 minutes ago, lacdescygnes said:

Perhaps Zhurbin's promotion means ABT will show more ballets like The Green Table where character artists have more of a leading role? Zhurbin was terrific (and terrifying) last time ABT staged The Green Table, which seems like far too long ago

Speaking of...hope they announce the fall schedule soon. Green Table and T&V would make for nice mixed bills, perhaps with Ratmansky's Seasons? 

2 minutes ago, ECat said:

Most of Victor Barbee's roles with ABT as a principal were lead character roles. I may be incorrect, but I think Kathleen Moore was also more of a character dancer.

They both still danced lead roles. Moore did Myrtha, Other Dances, I think Lilac Fairy, but never an O/O, Kitri etc. 

3 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

The one thing about Roman is that he makes the “smallest” role one of the most important.

Oh yes! I posted about Zhurbin on a different thread discussing the promotions...I will repeat what I said there, though others have been making similar points here:

...let me voice a big thrill at Zhurbin's promotion.  The Royal Ballet has a category called "principal character artist" -- ABT doesn't have that specifically, but character dancers at the highest level deserve the recognition that comes with the title "principal"  (and the raise that I trust comes with that recognition). At ABT Zhurbin has filled that role, bringing added dimension and depth to numerous ballets. Having artists like that is part of what makes a ballet company great. Bravo!

(And Congratulations to all of the promoted dancers. There are a few I have never seen  and I'm eager to do so...)

Oh no!! Cornejo has been replaced by Royal at Saturday’s matinee. I mean no offense to Royal, but I was so looking forward to seeing Cornejo with Trenary! (And, I was thinking this was probably the first Met season in recent years that Cornejo wasn’t injured; although I don’t know the reason for the substitution.) Ugh.

2 hours ago, lmspear said:

I'll throw William Carter and Marcos Paredes into the discussion to represent the Lucia Chase era.  And lets not forget Norah Kay, the original dramatic ballerina. And Sallie Wilson who I think is considered the last of that breed. There was a time when being a principle dancer didn't mean that you were guaranteed a shot at the leading role in the classics, but more that you were performing your specialties at an exceptionally high level.

So true, but at that time, ballets that required dramatic ballerinas, and male principals who could act, were a bigger and more regular part of the ABT rep - Fall River Legend, Lilac Garden, 3 Virgins and a Devil, Dark Elegies, Green Table etc. are examples. Sallie Wilson was known as a strong interpreter of Tudor works.