This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT SS Met Season - casting?

Hi all! Longtime reader, first time poster.

I am hoping to book tickets for the ABT full-length offerings this Spring/Summer season at the Met. Being a Londoner who is less familiar with ABT dancers, I am curious to know who you'll all be choosing to see?

I know casting preferences are so subjective, but am eager to hear your recommendations if any dancer(s) would be your 'go-to' in these roles. (And in return, if anyone ever wants Royal Ballet advice I'd be happy to reciprocate!).

Ballets I am hoping to see are:

Swan Lake

R&J

Of Love & Rage

Don Q

Thanks in advance for your perspectives!

Hello and Welcome! I'll plunge in...but most of my ABT going is rather from years past, not recently, so take it for what it's worth! In fact, ABT has a lot of new principals right now--and that combined with the pandemic and all the lost performing experience means it's a bit of a transitional time. The results may be super exciting (watching young talent explode) but ... as I look over the casting I think there are a lot of question marks over the season. I'm still sure you will see some good dancing whatever casts you see!

With all those caveats:

In Don Q I'd go for Brandt and Cornejo--he is well past his sensational prime but a great dancer is still a great dancer (and I do consider him a "great")--and she is coming into her sensational prime. For Love and Rage, I suppose it makes sense to see Ratmansky's first cast which is Catherine Hurlin and Aran Bell --both early in their career and neither a principal just yet. (Edited to add: California corrected me on this; Bell has been promoted.) But this is a "best  guess" -- and I'm sure the Shevchenko-Foster cast will be very good in the Ratmansky too. Shevchenko was recently promoted to principal as was Forster. I have always found him a very beautiful dancer (British too) though I'm not as sure how he rates on the bravura/excitement scale. (I'm actually hoping to see all three casts in this: Seo and Calvin Royale too.)

I've never seen Trenary in a major classical role or a full length one other than a Ratmansky work but if I were picking a Juliet from the current crop she is the one I'd try to see and her Romeo is Cornejo (it will be a debut for her but he is very experienced). Trenary is a genuinely interesting dancer and I would love to see that performance. I'm not sure ABT's ensemble will compare well dramatically with the Royal's in the Macmillan (assuming you have that as a standard) but in the leading roles I think Trenary/Cornejo could be terrific.

Murphy is coming towards the end of her career -- I have always considered her one of the best American ballerinas (and best ballerinas) around. At ABT certainly one of the most consistent and the one that I would, in the past, have been most confident recommending.  I simply don't know how she is dancing now and, therefore, am less confident recommending her than I would have been in the past. But she is, at any rate, the "real deal"--I see her partner in R&J and in Swan Lake is Foster.  (Even if she can no longer turn like a demon or balance into the night, I would be tempted by her Swan Lake. She was never one of those 'Russian' style Swan Lakes with super high extensions.)

Seo doesn't have a lot of vocal fans on this site. I've seen her "off" (dull)  and "on" (luminous)  but if you like lovely classical lines and lyricism, I believe she is worth seeing and a bit undervalued. I infer from reviews I've read she may not be as consistent with the bravura as, say, Boylston. Personally I might still prefer her in a classical role to the latter though Boylston is probably more exciting. There are other terrific dancers dancing--I wish I could say more about them in these ballets, but as my opinions would just get more and more speculative, I think I had better stop!

Hope you have a great trip--please do report your impressions of whatever you see.

Edited by Drew
27 minutes ago, Drew said:

In Don Q I'd go for Brandt and Cornejo--he is well past his sensational prime but a great dancer is still a great dancer (and I do consider him a "great")--and she is coming into her sensational prime. For Love and Rage, I suppose it makes sense to see Ratmansky's first cast which is Catherine Hurlin and Aran Bell --both early in their career and neither a principal just yet. But this is a "best  guess" -- and I'm sure the Shevchenko-Foster cast will be very good in the Ratmansky too. Shevchenko was recently promoted to principal as was Forster. I have always found him a very beautiful dancer (British too) though I'm not as sure how he rates on the bravura/excitement scale.

Just a few additional suggestions: Aran Bell was promoted to principal during COVID (I think) and he is tearing through the rep. Very exciting  young dancer and apparently one of Ratmansky's favorites. I'd also watch for Brandt and Shevchenko in anything they do. Cornejo is near the end of his career, so anything he does will be worth seeing this year.

15 hours ago, cobweb said:

Generally in agreement with the comments above. The dancers I would want to see are Shevchenko, Trenary, Brandt, Hurlin, Cornejo, and Bell. 

Agree. I'd also add Forster to that list.

Shevchenko was promoted in 2017, so she is a more seasoned principal. Definitely see Cornejo in whatever you can, as his days are really numbered and his talent is incomparable (despite being past his prime).

In addition, since principal James Whiteside is recovering from a serious knee injury (check out his IG), it's doubtful he'll make it to the Met Season, so his roles will have to be recast (and he's usually heavily cast - 5 principal roles so far but casting wasn't completed for all ballets before he was injured). That shuffling could very easily impact other performances/couples (least likely Cornejo/Brandt and Cornejo/Trenary due to height differences, but dates can always be moved). Casting is always shuffled around for the Met season, but, an in-demand principal out with a major injury could cause more than usual - so if you have your heart set on a particular couple/ballet, perhaps wait as long as possible to buy those tickets, if you can. It could be months before they announce any casting changes.

Teuscher is a special dancer too. I don't love her Swan Lake (not enough flexibility) but she was stunning as Myrta in Giselle. She has both lyricism and crisp technique with allegro and especially turns. Looking forward to her Juliet with Bell. 

While I'm sure Brandt & Cornejo will be great in DQ, I'd be even more inclined to see them in Swan Lake. I always thought of Brandt as a soubrette but her recent Giselle with Cornejo really blew me away. It was the most magical performance I've seen from an ABT principal ballerina in a long time. Based on that alone I would want to see their Swan Lake, which will be her NY debut. IMO currently ABT's best swan queen is Shevchenko so that would be another good choice.

I would recommend Hurlin/Bell in DQ. This will be Hurlin's debut in the role. She is a fierce dancer (nicknamed Hurricane Hurlin) and Bell is fantastic. Hurlin is a soloist who is destined to be a principal soon.

For "Of Love and Rage" I agree with other posters that either Hurlin/Bell or Shevchenko/Forster would be good. I love all 4 dancers.

If I go see R&J it will be the Trenary/Cornejo cast. Not sure about Trenary - I go hot and cold with her but she is an interesting dancer and I have no desire to see any of the other casts.

I would also try to see Murphy before she retires but she's just not my #1 in any role anymore and I don't really think of her as a Juliet. Although if I decide to see more than 1 R&J I may get Murphy/Forster for Forster's Romeo.

I saw Hee Seo in In Love and Rage in early March of 2020 in Orange County at its premiere weekend.  She danced with Aran Bell because Calvin Royal III was injured/indisposed (I don't recall which).  She gave a performance of great depth and understanding of what the woman had gone through, and beauty, and I was tremendously moved by what felt to me to be the performance of a lifetime.  I am not an unqualified fan of hers, so I was taken by surprise. 

On 2/19/2022 at 2:04 PM, Josette said:

I saw Hee Seo in In Love and Rage in early March of 2020 in Orange County at its premiere weekend.  She danced with Aran Bell because Calvin Royal III was injured/indisposed (I don't recall which).  She gave a performance of great depth and understanding of what the woman had gone through, and beauty, and I was tremendously moved by what felt to me to be the performance of a lifetime.  I am not an unqualified fan of hers, so I was taken by surprise. 

My experience with Hee Seo has been that she really responds to the energy from her partner - so the few times I saw her with Roberto Bolle she was marvelous and luminous as Giselle. With Cory Stearns, on the other hand, I found her much duller. I would expect Bell to bring out her best quality in Swan Lake or R&J, but still can't quite see her as a Kitri...

I didn't want to start a new thread, but wanted to quickly report back on seeing Brandt/Cornejo in Don Q in NOLA last night. What a return to this city after almost half a century! They brought the house down multiple times last night and there were several audible gasps in the audience. She is a star! Cornejo doesn't have as clean technique as he once did...but he is such a reliable partner and together her and Brandt are going to sell tickets. Brandt not only can deliver the dance from a technical side, but she approaches it all with just enough to be on the edge of reigned-in/reckless abandon and she can back it up with the acting/artistry. While diminutive, she dances "big." Cornejo, at his age and with his injury history is still dancing very well (his only nemesis likely being his past success and our knowledge of "the dancer he once was") -- but I want to make it very clear that he is definitely still one of the best, complete male principals from his dancing & acting to his partnering. So glad I got to see him in a true leading male principal role (previously I'd only seen him in featured/soloist roles). Trenary scheduled to dance Mercedes/Queen of the Dryads (and I was really looking forward to it) but she had a minor injury and subbed out (Luciana Paris - Mercedes/Katie Williams - Queen of Dryads)...the injury doesn't sounds major so I think she should be back for the Met. Some other standouts, lead gypsy couple was danced by Elwince Magbitang (current apprentice in his debut in the role) & Zimmi Coker. OH MY GOODNESS. Magbitang is 100% one to watch - if he had other featured role opportunities during the Met season, 1) the audience is in for a treat, 2) I fully expect him to be joining the main company (and based on his bio, we might have Stella Abrera to thank for getting him on the ABT radar!). As other have mentioned previously, Coker is a firecracker and I hope she continues her progression to promotion one day soon. Also, Kanon Kimura as Amour...LOVED her! -- I found that she stole the show during the dream act. 

Looking at the current roster, there are soooo many new faces. The last time I saw ABT live was at least 6 years ago, so the company I "know" is not the one we see today. However, based on what was presented last night, ABT is looking to be on very solid foundation for many years to come. There are fewer "big names" -- but I feel the dancing and artistry is on par with and in some ways better than what I'd seen previously. There seems to be more energy and spark among the company. Obviously there are still the departures in the next few years we'd expect due to retirement, but wow I'm looking forward to getting back to watching ABT (I usually try to make it to NYC every other summer). Was really tempted to to snag a ticket to today's cast as well (Hurlin/Ahn/Fang/Hoven), especially after hearing Hurlin's successful debut in the role earlier this year. But my schedule couldn't make that happen & personally, I think I'd prefer to see Hurlin/Bell as they will be cast at the Met. I'm personally excited to see how Ahn develops as a partner in the next few years. Hurlin is 100% being principal-tracked. The urgency to see today's cast definitely was tempered by knowing that Hurlin & Ahn should be around for a while. I've seen Fang and Hoven many times in other performances. 

Personally, I'd try to catch Murphy if you can while you can. I don't know where her technique is these days, but she's such a secure technician that even if she has "toned down" the crazy turns/technical tricks (I still laugh at the absurdity of watching her turns as Medora in Le Corsaire for Ethan's retirement). In all the times that I have seen her, she delivers clean, pure dancing. She has had injuries and a tough pregnancy/recovery in recent years, but I think she is a dancer who benefitted from the pandemic to heal and relearn how to dance with her new body. She's not a dancer I can see coming back in roles that she is not comfortable performing -- and what I have caught on social media/videos the past year, she is still a dancer who can deliver (I would have said it's been a while since she's done a full-length like SL, but I always remind myself that these dancers put in so many more hours in class/rehearsals that stamina shouldn't be an issue).

Side Note: post-performance ran into Kevin McKenzie between the door and the company bus. Stopped him to congratulate him on his retirement and wished him and the company the best for the Met run. Didn't chat long, but definitely thanked him for for what he has done for ABT. I like many have criticized him on some of the choices that he has made in years past (an over-reliance on big names/guest artists and promotions that didn't always make sense...which led to dancers leaving, etc), but the ABT I saw on stage last night is also a byproduct of his work. ABT is feeling like a homegrown company again (likely as past company members are teachers and integrated in the development programs for ABT/coaching current dancers in their development) -- there's a "continuing to learn" approach in the current roster that I think will payoff in the coming years.

Edited by spinning2night

I join those here who haven't seen ABT for quite awhile, even before the virus. I don't live near NYC so I can't see the company often like many here. But -- I've just bought tickets to a bunch of Swan Lakes. I'm one who considers the Mariinsky and Bolshoi to be perhaps the best in the world. ABT is the company that I like most along with these two.  Also, Miami City Ballet, quite different from all these, has, at least during the Edward Villella days when I saw it the most, captivated me.  So for what it's worth from someone who usually has to travel great distances, no complaints, to see the company....

Ballerinawise....

I used to go to ABT performances anywhere, NYC, London, Washington DC, Detroit and California, primarily to see Veronika Part, perhaps my favorite ballerina in the world. The one other ABT ballerina who held her own alongside Veronika Part, for me, was Gillian Murphy. I saw them both about six times in Swan Lake and often compared their performances in almost a score card manner. Gillian was more than bravura at these, she was convincingly on top of the role. If she's slowed down technically she could still be compelling, as she was as Gamzatti (La Bayadere) a few years ago in Los Angeles.

Other ballerinas that I hope to see in Swan Lake are.... 

Isabella Boylston, whom I've seen do an excellent Swan Lake. 
Christine Shevchenko, who can be wonderful, both as a beautifully refined dancer and excellent dramatist.  
Skylar Brandt, whom I've not seen, but seems to leave little doubt about excellence based on what I'm reading here.
Devon Teuscher, whom I've seen do just fine.

I was definitely hoping to see Hee Seo, whom I've watched doing wonderfully at the Mariinsky Festival (twice), as did Isabella Boylston, but she's scheduled too late. 

I'd recommend any or all of these fine artists.  

Edited by Buddy

Casting update from the online calendar:

For the Don Q on June 15 (evening) Ahn is now listed as Basilio instead of Bell.  Also, the Met Opera site now has the Purple Rothbart casting.

Edited by abatt
12 minutes ago, abatt said:

For the Don Q on June 15 (evening) Ahn is now listed as Basilio instead of Bell.  Also, the Met Opera site now has the Purple Rothbart casting.

Big disappointment! Bell is still listed for Act I of the Gala program, but June 15 was his only full-length DQ at the Met. 

Such a pet peeve when the Met opera has updated casting but ABT’s own site does not. 😒

Nice to see two more corps dancers get a shot at Purple VR. I know Royal is doing two Siegfried’s but I still wish he was cast; his interpretation is so good.

I'm wondering why Bell was removed from Don Q on the Wednesday performance, but not from the Don Q gala performance on opening night.  Did he learn only one act of the ballet?  Or has the casting not been updated for the gala?  

2 hours ago, abatt said:

33 minutes ago, abatt said:

I'm wondering why Bell was removed from Don Q on the Wednesday performance, but not from the Don Q gala performance on opening night.  Did he learn only one act of the ballet?  Or has the casting not been updated for the gala?  

Ahn and Hurlin did Don Q in NOLA, I don’t know if Ahn subbed in for Bell then too. Bell did Basillo in DC, so he knows the ballet.

36 minutes ago, abatt said:

He's already performed the ballet on tour (I saw him in DC). It is certainly not that he doesn't know, or has difficulty with the part.

If Bell is injured or sick, maybe they are trying to figure out who will partner Hurlin in Act I for the gala. The other tall Basilios (Stearns, Ahn) are already dancing in the other acts. 

I seriously hope Bell's absence will be very temporary -- they really need him this season! And I'm very much looking forward to seeing him. Plus, it's his first Met season as a principal so it's an exciting time. 

20 minutes ago, JuliaJ said:

If Bell is injured or sick, maybe they are trying to figure out who will partner Hurlin in Act I for the gala. The other tall Basilios (Stearns, Ahn) are already dancing in the other acts. 

I seriously hope Bell's absence will be very temporary -- they really need him this season! And I'm very much looking forward to seeing him. Plus, it's his first Met season as a principal so it's an exciting time. 

This is exactly what I'm concerned about.  If Bell is injured, will ABT start showing the casting changes in dribs and drabs   as they figure out who is replacing him?  If he is injured, I have a lot of exchanging to do.  (For example, there is no reason for me to see Hee Seo in Swan Lake if Aran Bell is out as her partner.)  I hope he is not injured.  Wonderful dancer.  Actually, he is the most exciting male dancer at ABT in my opinion.

If anyone sees info on Bell's social media please post.

Edited by abatt

If Bell is injured, maybe it is minor enough that he believes he can get through Act I at the gala but not risk the entire ballet. 

Certainly hope he is not injured. If he needs to be replaced in several ballets, Ahn is the most likely replacement as he has the least to do. With Whiteside already out, they do not have a deep bench to pull from.

As of right now, nothing posted on Bell's IG.

32 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

Certainly hope he is not injured. If he needs to be replaced in several ballets, Ahn is the most likely replacement as he has the least to do. With Whiteside already out, they do not have a deep bench to pull from.

Right, they do not have a deep bench of talent, to put it mildly.  Maybe Roman Mejia from across the plaza has some extra time on his hands.  Now that would be a Basilio I would show up to even with Seo as Kitri!

4 hours ago, abatt said:

Right, they do not have a deep bench of talent, to put it mildly.  Maybe Roman Mejia from across the plaza has some extra time on his hands.  Now that would be a Basilio I would show up to even with Seo as Kitri!

Daniel Camargo seems like a solid choice too. He’s slated to do Dionysus in Love and Rage, on top of his other commitments.

6 hours ago, ABT Fan said:

If Bell is injured, maybe it is minor enough that he believes he can get through Act I at the gala but not risk the entire ballet. 

As of right now, nothing posted on Bell's IG.

I just watched the live stream of the opening night cast rehearsing Act II for Of Love and Rage, with Ratmansky. Bell was there and to my (untrained) eye did not seem injured or limited in any way.  So we'll hope the cast change was triggered by something else.  This is the opening night cast:

Catherine Hurlin (Callirhoe)

Aran Bell (Chaereas)

Daniel Camargo (Dionysius)

Cory Stearns (Mithridates)

Roman Zhurbin (King of Babylon)

Katherine Williams (Queen of Babylon)