This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

American Ballet Theatre 2021-2022 season

I think the prolonged recovery period for James Whiteside may have prompted Simkin's return to ABT.  Not wishing anything bad on Whiteside, but I hope Simkin also appears at the Met this Spring.  Also, Covid international travel restrictions appear to be less onerous, so that may also influence the situation for Simkin's motivation to come to the US..

Announced: 

Daniil Simkin, a Principal Dancer with American Ballet Theatre from 2012 to 2020, will return to ABT as a Guest Artist for select performances during the Company’s touring engagements and 2022 Summer season at the Metropolitan Opera House, it was announced today by Artistic Director Kevin McKenzie.

Simkin will dance the role of Basilio in Don Quixote at the Metropolitan Opera House, opposite ABT Principal Dancer Isabella Boylston as Kitri, at the matinee on Wednesday, June 15 and the evening of Saturday, June 18. He will also dance the role of Basilio with ABT at the Virginia Arts Festival in Norfolk, Virginia at the matinee on Sunday, March 27 and at The Kennedy Center in Washington, D.C. on the evening of Thursday, March 31.
Daniel Camargo, a former principal dancer with the Stuttgart Ballet and Dutch National

Ballet, will dance the role of Prince Siegfried in Swan Lake opposite Boylston as Odette-Odile on the evening of Tuesday, June 28 and at the matinee on Saturday, July 2 at the Metropolitan Opera House. He will also perform the title role in Romeo and Juliet alongside Boylston on the evening of Wednesday, July 13. The performances mark Camargo’s first appearances with American Ballet Theatre.

Daniil Simkin first joined American Ballet Theatre as a Soloist in October 2008 and was promoted to Principal Dancer in November 2012. With ABT, he has danced most major classical and neoclassical roles in the Company’s repertoire. Currently, he is a principal dancer with Staatsballett Berlin. He has performed worldwide over the course of his professional career, including in Europe, North and South America, Asia, and the Middle East. His awards include the Senior Gold Medal at the USA International Ballet Competition in 2006 and the Grand Prix at the International Ballet Competition in Helsinki in 2005, among others. Simkin is also a producer focused on productions that evolve classical dance onto digital platforms using technology, new approaches, and venues that actively engage the audience in immersive and interactive ways. He has established Studio Simkin to work in partnership with artistic talent and institutions. His works to date include INTENSIO presented by The Joyce Theater and Jacob’s Pillow in 2015, Falls the Shadow at the Guggenheim Museum in 2017, and Diorama with Staatsballett in 2020. His next work is an immersive dance experience with Martha Graham Dance Company and the choreographer Hofesh Shechter to premiere at New York City Center in April 2022.

Born in Sorocaba, Brazil, Daniel Camargo joined the John Cranko School in Stuttgart, Germany. After graduating in 2009, he joined the Stuttgart Ballet as a member of the corps de ballet and was promoted to soloist in 2012. He was appointed principal dancer with that company in 2013. In 2016, Camargo joined Dutch National Ballet as a principal dancer. In 2011, he received the Audience Choice Award at The Erik Bruhn Prize competition, and in 2017, he was awarded the Premio Positano in Italy. He was also nominated for the Benois de la Danse in 2018 and 2019. He has performed with several international ballet companies, including the Stuttgart Ballet, The Australian Ballet, Dutch National Ballet, Opera di Roma, the Czech National Ballet, the Finnish National Ballet, Hong Kong Ballet, The Tokyo Ballet, The Kremlin Ballet, the Mariinsky Theatre, and The Royal Ballet.

Subscriptions for American Ballet Theatre’s 2022 Summer season at the Metropolitan Opera House are available by phone at 212-362-6000, or online at ABT’s website, www.abt.org.

About American Ballet Theatre

AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE is one of the greatest dance companies in the world.
Revered as a national treasure since its founding season in 1940, its mission is to create, present, preserve, and extend the great repertoire of classical dancing for the widest possible audience. Headquartered in New York City, ABT is the only cultural institution of its size and stature to extensively tour, enchanting audiences for eight decades in 50 U.S. states, 45 countries, and over 
480 cities worldwide. ABT’s repertoire includes full-length classics from the nineteenth century, the finest works from the early twentieth century, and acclaimed contemporary masterpieces. In 2006, by an act of Congress, ABT was designated America’s National Ballet Company®.

Find out more at ABT.org and follow ABT dancers at @abtofficial on Instagram, on Twitter at @ABTBallet, and on Facebook at @AmericanBalletTheatre.

1 hour ago, Dale said:

Daniil Simkin, a Principal Dancer with American Ballet Theatre from 2012 to 2020, will return to ABT as a Guest Artist for select performances during the Company’s touring engagements and 2022 Summer season at the Metropolitan Opera House, it was announced today by Artistic Director Kevin McKenzie.

Simkin will dance the role of Basilio in Don Quixote at the Metropolitan Opera House, opposite ABT Principal Dancer Isabella Boylston as Kitri, at the matinee on Wednesday, June 15 and the evening of Saturday, June 18. He will also dance the role of Basilio with ABT at the Virginia Arts Festival in Norfolk, Virginia at the matinee on Sunday, March 27 and at The Kennedy Center in Washington, D.C. on the evening of Thursday, March 31.

Wow -- such great news! I'm a big Simkin fan, as I know many of you are, too.

1 hour ago, ABT Fan said:

Great news that Simkin will also join them on tour.

Im not familiar with Camargo. Has anyone seen him dance?

Daniel Camargo is fabulous, he has a very strong classical technique (a medalist at YAGP) and also excels in dramatic roles which he has been performing at Stuttgart Ballet.

He is still young (in his 20's), very good looking and is currently a freelancer. 

Espada/Mercedes casting is up. Gabe Stone Shayer and Cassandra June 13, 14, 15 (M), 18 (M). Calvin Royal III and Katherine Williams June 13 and 16. Thomas Forster and Devon Teuscher June 13 and 18 (E). Blaine Hoven and Zhong-Jing Fang June 15 (E). and Andrii Ishchuk and Luciana Paris June 17.

They posted some casting for the new Alonzo King piece at the Kennedy Center:

March 29th: Isabella Boylston, Thomas Forster,
Calvin Royal III, Skylar Brandt, 

March 30th: Christine Shevchenko, 
Cory Stearns, Calvin Royal III, 
Devon Teuscher

I know I'm in the minority here, as I rather liked seeing guest artists in ABT performances (though they really overdid it some seasons back, which created some bad morale within the company and among fans), but the recent resignation of Xander Parish from the Mariinsky makes me hope ABT might acquire his talents for a performance or two. It may be too late for the upcoming summer season, but if a cancellation opens up... 

And thank you for the info on Camargo, whom I'd love to see if he weren't partnering Boylston.

On 3/7/2022 at 12:55 PM, Becki Lee said:

They posted some casting for the new Alonzo King piece at the Kennedy Center:

March 29th: Isabella Boylston, Thomas Forster,
Calvin Royal III, Skylar Brandt, 

March 30th: Christine Shevchenko, 
Cory Stearns, Calvin Royal III, 
Devon Teuscher

I thoroughly enjoyed the performance last night, watching from the front row. Everyone was dancing well, and I was happy to see Forster on stage dancing beautifully and with expression in the Alonzo King premiere.   I would have  preferred to see Shevchenko and Teuscher.  Boylston was clean but pedestrian, she has no stretch or line in her upper back and neck; Brandt was small-scale but genuine.  I also found Cassie Trenary compelling  in the other ballets (Zig Zag and Bernstein in a Bubble)  dancing and projecting with  authority and beauty. I always enjoy watching Cory Stearns with Devon Teuscher because of the way he looks at her. 

On 2/23/2022 at 2:20 AM, naomikage said:

He is still young (in his 20's), very good looking and is currently a freelancer. 

Daniel Camargo is 31. He has a fine technique, quite impressive at times, but far from spectacular. He is a wonderful, natural actor, that's where his real talent lies. And he is a very handsome dancer, who looks more beautiful on stage than up close, a rather bewildering phenomenon...  His latest performances as a freelancer were at Hongkong Ballet and at the Czech National Ballet where he is permanent guest artist. 

42 minutes ago, DPell said:

Daniil shared a segment of him in Don Q on his Instagram. Was anyone at the Norfolk Don Q performances, and will anyone be at the Kennedy Center Don Q performances?https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cbp7XkKD7XE/?utm_medium=copy_link

I'm seeing the KenCen performances. The ballet is a real "upper" for me and I get to see five different casts -- all quite wonderful. Trying to make up for lost time during COVID!

12 minutes ago, California said:

I'm seeing the KenCen performances. The ballet is a real "upper" for me and I get to see five different casts -- all quite wonderful. Trying to make up for lost time during COVID!

Wow, 5! Please share your reports after, especially for any debuts like Hurlin and Brandt.

1 minute ago, ABT Fan said:

Wow, 5! Please share your reports after, especially for any debuts like Hurlin and Brandt.

Life is short and it's a long trip for me. I can't think of anything I'd rather do in DC right now.

Also looking forward to Bell, Simkin, Ahn, and Shevchenko. I have a sad feeling this will be the last season of Don Q for Cornejo. 

3 hours ago, California said:

Life is short and it's a long trip for me. I can't think of anything I'd rather do in DC right now.

Also looking forward to Bell, Simkin, Ahn, and Shevchenko. I have a sad feeling this will be the last season of Don Q for Cornejo. 

I can’t wait to hear what you think! I’m seeing 3 Don Q’s at the Met.

Some more news for the 2022 season:

ABT INCUBATOR, APRIL 11-22, 2022
To Feature Works by Claire Davison, Raymond Pinto, Courtney Shealy, and Quinn Wharton

NEW YORK, NY (April 6, 2022)  American Ballet Theatre’s in-house choreographic program, ABT Incubator, is scheduled for April 11-22, 2022, with new works to be created on ABT dancers by four choreographers. The workshop was announced today by ABT Artistic Director Kevin McKenzie.

Directed by American Ballet Theatre dancer Jose Sebastian, the 2022 ABT Incubator, held at the Company’s New York studios, will feature new works by ABT dancers Claire Davison and Courtney Shealy, and choreographers Raymond Pinto and Quinn Wharton. Participating choreographers were chosen in November 2021 through an audition process, with selections made by McKenzie, Sebastian, ABT Associate Artistic Director Clinton Luckett, choreographer Gemma Bond, and ABT Studio Company Artistic Director Sascha Radetsky.

Choreographers for ABT Incubator will be provided resources to create new work on dancers from American Ballet Theatre, including studio space, a stipend, collaborators, panel discussions, and mentors.

One of the interesting things about this year's group of talented creators is their spectrum of experience,” said Sebastian. “For some, this will be their first time, for others a second venture, and some are more seasoned. This alone guarantees an exciting ABT Incubator season.”

Claire Davison (she/her) began her ballet training at the Boulder Ballet School and attended Boston Ballet School, Pacific Northwest Ballet School, School of American Ballet, and San Francisco Ballet School summer programs. She was a finalist at the 2009 Youth America Grand Prix competition. Davison joined the American Ballet Theatre Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis School in 2010, was named an apprentice with the main Company in 2012, and appointed to the corps de ballet in June 2013. Her repertoire with ABT includes Berthe in Giselle, Good Fairy in Harlequinade, Madame in Manon, Nanny and Sugar Plum Fairy in The Nutcracker, the Queen Mother in Swan Lake, and a featured role in Deuce Coupe. Davison participated in ABT’s Innovation Initiative in 2014 and ABT Incubator in 2019.

Her choreographic credits include One of Us (2019) for Boulder Ballet and Por Ti for Kaatsbaan Cultural Park’s 2021 Summer Festival. In 2021, Davison was a selected choreographer for New York Theatre Ballet’s Lift Lab. This year, she will choreograph a ballet on American Repertory Ballet, set to Fleetwood Mac music, and create a one-woman show, “Crash Test Dummy.

Courtney Shealy (she/her) trained with Northwest Florida Ballet for nine years. She also trained at Boston Ballet, Next Generation Ballet, Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre, and American Ballet Theatre summer intensives. She received third place at the 2014 Youth America Grand Prix semi-final for both senior classical and contemporary. Shealy joined ABT Studio Company in September 2015, became an apprentice with the main Company in August 2016, and joined the corps de ballet in January 2017. Her repertoire includes Aya and Lead D’Jampe in La Bayadère, the Canteen Keeper and Spanish Dance in The Nutcracker, Lead Czardas in Swan Lake, and a featured role in Deuce Coupe. She created Plangon in Of Love and Rage and a featured role in A Time There Was.

Quinn Wharton (he/him) is a professional choreographer, photographer, and filmmaker. He received his early training with Pacific Northwest Ballet School, West Hawaii Dance Theater, and North Carolina School of the Arts. He joined San Francisco Ballet (SFB) in 2005. With SFB, he performed leading roles and created roles in works by William Forsythe, Mark Morris, Christopher Wheeldon, Paul Taylor, Wayne McGregor, Val Caniparoli, and Helgi Tomasson. Wharton also launched a photo and film business for dance and tech companies in the Bay area, including LINES Ballet, Airbnb, Square, Inc, Google, and San Jose Ballet. In 2012, he joined Hubbard Street Dance Chicago, working with Mats Ek, Glen Edgerton, Robyn Mineko Williams, Penny Saunders, and Alonzo King. After leaving Hubbard Street, Wharton created films for the Rolex Arts Initiative and Bolshoi Ballet. He has lectured at Stanford and the Booth School of Business on human movement and its potential for leadership.

For more information, please visit: www.abt.org/abtincubator

ABOUT AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE

American Ballet Theatre is one of the greatest dance companies in the world. Revered as a national treasure since its founding season in 1940, its mission is to create, present, preserve, and extend the great repertoire of classical dancing for the widest possible audience. Headquartered in New York City, ABT is the only cultural institution of its size and stature to extensively tour, enchanting audiences for eight decades in 50 U.S. states, 45 countries, and over 480 cities worldwide. ABT’s repertoire includes full- length classics from the nineteenth century, the finest works from the early twentieth century, and acclaimed contemporary masterpieces. In 2006, by an act of Congress, ABT was designated America's National Ballet Company®.

(more)

Raymond Pinto (he/they) is an artist and choreographer based in the tri-state area. They graduated from the Juilliard School with a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Dance and danced professionally for companies in North America and Europe. They are a YoungArts awardee and Princess Grace Award recipient. They

hold a masters degree in Performance Studies from NYU. Their work has been presented at the Royal Ballet of Flanders, Amsterdam Fringe Festival, Cue Art Foundation, MoMA PS1, the Venice Biennale, and Judson Memorial Church. In an ever-changing world, they look forward to continuing to create work that resonates with social and political values of our contemporary times. 

Find out more at ABT.org and follow ABT dancers at @abtofficial on Instagram, on Twitter at

@ABTBallet, and on Facebook at @AmericanBalletTheatre

ABT Incubator is presented thanks to support from American Express.

Commissions and presentations of new work by women choreographers are supported by the ABT Women’s Movement. Champion support for the ABT Women’s Movement is provided by Jenna Segal. Additional leadership support is provided by the Virginia B. Toulmin Foundation.

ABT’s Choreographic Innovation and Inspiration and Inclusion programs are generously supported by the Blavatnik Family Foundation. Additional major support of ABT’s Innovation and Inclusion programs is provided by Mark Casey and Carrie Gaiser Casey, the Ford Foundation, The Ted and Mary Jo Shen Charitable Gift Fund and through an endowed gift from the Toni and Martin Sosnoff New Works Fund.

Special thanks to Denise Littlefield Sobel for her leadership gifts to: ABT’s Media Fund, advancing the Company’s digital endeavors; and ABT RISE, fueling the Company’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.