This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

American Ballet Theatre 2021-2022 season

Something tells me tickets for the ABT Met season aren't selling well. Just got an email with a 25% discount if purchased by June 1:

Memorial Day Weekend Special Offer

Get 25% Off Tickets to ABT's Summer Season

01749157-903d-9fcf-b229-d08c3cfa4296.jpg
Don't miss this special offer for 25% off tickets to America's National Ballet Company® at the Metropolitan Opera House! Join us for ABT's Summer Season to experience unforgettable stories, triumphant love, and audience favorites. 

Use code ABTSUMMER for the discount.
*Discount valid until Wednesday, June 1. Subject to availability.

ABT's Summer Season
June 13 – July 16
Metropolitan Opera House
Get 25% Off Tickets

Also the discount only seems to apply to seats in the $120 range? If they're going to push a discount at least make it a good one, and be clear about the restrictions!

On a separate note I can't believe ABT's arguably best current Odette/Odile, Shevchenko, is only cast for the the weekday matinee Swan Lakes, including on the 4th of July when most people are not looking to sit inside a theater all afternoon. 

4 hours ago, JuliaJ said:

On a separate note I can't believe ABT's arguably best current Odette/Odile, Shevchenko, is only cast for the the weekday matinee Swan Lakes, including on the 4th of July when most people are not looking to sit inside a theater all afternoon. 

Shevchenko/Royal have two shows - Wednesday matinee and the July 4th matinee. But, I wish she would have been given at least one evening performance. Also, I agree that she is arguably their best O/O. I really thought she'd be a star by this point, but alas she is clearly not a favorite of management's.

*Edited to add: JuliaJ, I just realized that you did write Shev has two shows, both matinees. The rest of my point remains the same i.e. I agree with you.

https://www.abt.org/performances/master-calendar/

Edited by ABT Fan

I love Ternary, despite the 2 strikes against her: (1) She poorly executed the hops on pointe during her Giselle performance last Fall at the Koch, and (2) she seems to have many gigs that she arranges outside the auspices of ABT that allow her to do contemporary work, unlike Shevchanko and Brandt, who are, currently, at the top of my own personal roster. Speaking of which, if you're willing to do a double header, on July 29th Shevchenko is dancing O/O at the matinee and Brandt is dancing the same role in the evening. How can anyone pass up that opportunity?

On 5/28/2022 at 12:46 PM, angelica said:

Speaking of which, if you're willing to do a double header, on July 29th Shevchenko is dancing O/O at the matinee and Brandt is dancing the same role in the evening. How can anyone pass up that opportunity?

I definitely would, except the performances fall on my brother's birthday.

I love Ternary, despite the 2 strikes against her: (1) She poorly executed the hops on pointe during her Giselle performance last Fall at the Koch, and (2) she seems to have many gigs that she arranges outside the auspices of ABT that allow her to do contemporary work, unlike Shevchanko and Brandt, who are, currently, at the top of my own personal roster. Speaking of which, if you're willing to do a double header, on July 29th Shevchenko is dancing O/O at the matinee and Brandt is dancing the same role in the evening. How can anyone pass up that opportunity?

Trenary has a recent IG story showing her working on a new contemporary piece with Jenn Freeman. I've been wondering if she'll decide to leave ballet and immerse herself fully in  contemporary. Of course, having outside contemporary (or other) pursuits doesn't mean she will, but it's certainly a passion of hers that she's been exploring for years now.

The double-hitter you mention is actually June 29, which unfortunately is a Wednesday, a week day and work day, otherwise I could not pass that up.

45 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

The double-hitter you mention is actually June 29, which unfortunately is a Wednesday, a week day and work day, otherwise I could not pass that up.

Thank you for the correction. How careless of me!

22 hours ago, DPell said:

On 5/26/2022 at 10:58 PM, abatt said:

No it is not for all performances.  If you click on the link it shows you which performances it applies to.

Thank you.

Did anyone happen to notice the shows that are mostly listed? Nearly all of Seo's: one of her SL's, both of her R&J's, both of her Love/Rage. Yikes.

...she [Trenary] seems to have many gigs that she arranges outside the auspices of ABT that allow her to do contemporary work, unlike Shevchanko and Brandt, who are, currently, at the top of my own personal roster.

I don't know what goes on behind the scenes at ABT but there may be a chicken-egg question to ask about any dancer's extra curricular activities. If Trenary was being cast in more principal parts, then maybe she would not be arranging as many other gigs. And, yes, maybe she would.  But I don't know how one can be sure, especially in the context of the pandemic which has probably made many dancers hungrier. And I believe ABT in normal times still dances less than some of the other major companies.

4 hours ago, Drew said:

I don't know what goes on behind the scenes at ABT but there may be a chicken-egg question to ask about any dancer's extra curricular activities. If Trenary was being cast in more principal parts, then maybe she would not be arranging as many other gigs. And, yes, maybe she would.  But I don't know how one can be sure, especially in the context of the pandemic which has probably made many dancers hungrier. And I believe ABT in normal times still dances less than some of the other major companies.

I don't think it has to be an either/or situation. ABT has a lot of weeks of non-employment. NYCB has more work weeks than ABT but a number of their dancers have other projects, both choreographically and as performers. 

Yet another discount offer for the ABT Met season: 6 performances in the first two weeks. Looks like it's mainly orchestra seats on the far sides or rear.

PAS DE TIX | $30 Under 30 ✨🎟
If you’re under the age of 30, enjoy $30 tickets to ABT’s Summer Season for select performances! Join us at the Metropolitan Opera House for iconic story ballets, vibrant masterpieces, and New York premieres. Use code ABT30 for the discount. #ABTMet22

I thought that I could drop this in here.

Chloe Misseldine

I just finished watching two performances of The Sleeping Beauty, broadcast live on the internet by the Boca Ballet Theatre. They were supposed to feature Devon Teuscher, but because of an injury she asked ABT’s Chloe Misseldine to take her place at the last minute. I thought that she gave two excellent performances.

I assumed that she was a Soloist until I checked ABT’s site and found out that she’s still in the Corps de Ballet. She has a very fine stage presence and seems particularly good at demanding (and high energy) spins and balances, which are the highlight of Act II. She seemed totally confident and proficient in very difficult looking lifts with partners that she’s never danced with before. Above all, she’s a very fine and beautiful dancer.

I hope that she gets much recognition and I wish her much success.

Misseldine, who was hired as an apprentice in 2019 and then into the corps in 2021, was just promoted to Soloist.  I'm not sure if the promotion won't take effect until the beginning of the 2022-23 season, but, even if effective already, ABT wouldn't be the first company to lag in website updates over the summer, even if their website isn't exactly a lead in the field.