This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

American Ballet Theatre 2021-2022 season

Trenary posted on her instagram that she has been working with Lynn Seymour on Juliet. That caught my attention --especially after reading about Trenary's Giselle. Wish I could see that debut...

On 5/13/2022 at 7:52 AM, FauxPas said:

Patrick Frenette, Cameron McCune, Jonathan Klein and Luigi Crispino are overdue for soloist opportunities.

With the female corps ladies, I would include Betsy McBride, Erica Lall, Zimmi C. , amongst others. 

On 5/13/2022 at 10:52 AM, FauxPas said:

Patrick Frenette, Cameron McCune, Jonathan Klein and Luigi Crispino are overdue for soloist opportunities.

13 hours ago, MoMo said:

With the female corps ladies, I would include Betsy McBride, Erica Lall, Zimmi C. , amongst others. 

I’d imagine we’ll see some of these dancers being promoted this year. There are eight soloists at the moment. Is the number of soloists normally low?

17 minutes ago, DPell said:

I’d imagine we’ll see some of these dancers being promoted this year. There are eight soloists at the moment. Is the number of soloists normally low?

There are always less soloists than any other group, but 4 men/4 women is unusually low.

Moreover while there were just a lot of promotions to principal, none of the current crop of soloists seem likely to become principals with the notable exception of Hurlin who I would expect to be promoted quite soon.

Fang, Paris and Hoven were all quite late career promotions, seemingly in recognition of the years of solid work at the soloist level they'd put in. Zhurbin does almost exclusively character roles. I don't see any of them moving up further and I wouldn't be surprised to see some retirements soon.

Gorak had huge potential, but never realized it (and never seemingly worked on his ability as a partner) and hardly ever seems to be cast these days.

Williams and Shayer (relatively newly promoted to soloist) are the relative wildcards.

I'd also expect some promotions to the Soloist level at the end of the Met season--but I don't know if they will hold off because of the new director.

38 minutes ago, MoMo said:

I agree with your thoughts. I do think they will promote, as they had promotions in 2020 during the pandemic, even though the dancers weren’t performing. It will be Kevin’s last hurrah. 

I’ll expect Hurlin to be promoted after the Met season. She’s debuting Kitri now on tour and O/O at the Met - unless something catastrophic happens, I think it would look odd if she’s not promoted after that. And, I think McKenzie would want to promote her before he leaves - an up and comer, and arguably next future star, who trained at the JKO school since she was little and came up through the ranks. It would look good for him. She’s destined to become a principal regardless from what I’ve seen.

1 hour ago, MoMo said:

I agree with your thoughts. I do think they will promote, as they had promotions in 2020 during the pandemic, even though the dancers weren’t performing. It will be Kevin’s last hurrah. 

Yes, but the new director might expect to have some say in that, as it will have an impact on how the company looks going forward.

I do, however, agree with ABT Fan that Hurlin will be promoted this season, for all the same reasons (and hope we're right!).

I was watching TV yesterday (PBS) and an advertisement for ABT's summer season came on before the program.   Lots of snippets of dancers performing in costume, but Kevin McKenzie kept popping up  in the commercial, coaching or wandering around.  I've seen many ads for ballet and opera performances on TV, but I've never seen the director of the company insert himself into the commercial.  I laughed initially, but then felt it was pretty sad that McKenzie is so desperate for attention.

56 minutes ago, abatt said:

I was watching TV yesterday (PBS) and an advertisement for ABT's summer season came on before the program.   Lots of snippets of dancers performing in costume, but Kevin McKenzie kept popping up  in the commercial, coaching or wandering around.  I've seen many ads for ballet and opera performances on TV, but I've never seen the director of the company insert himself into the commercial.  I laughed initially, but then felt it was pretty sad that McKenzie is so desperate for attention.

It is his final season as director and they are making a big deal of it. He was the director, after all, for 30 years. And for all the complaining about him on here, he took on a company that was on the verge of collapse and has it on healthy footing. Your reading of this is very particular.

Sooooo….potential big news. Trenary has just posted clips of herself rehearsing SL with Irina on her IG. No mention of any casting dates and I see nothing on ABT’s site. Do understudies usually get 1:1 time with Irina? I’d think not as she’s stretched pretty thin. SL is a month out and there are no TBA’s. Perhaps someone is already injured and they’re getting her ready. Hmmmm….

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cd_tz6NJ1hC/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Edited by ABT Fan
Typo
4 hours ago, ABT Fan said:

Sooooo….potential big news. Trenary has just posted clips of herself rehearsing SL with Irina on her IG. No mention of any casting dates and I see nothing on ABT’s site. Do understudies usually get 1:1 time with Irina? I’d think not as she’s stretched pretty thin. SL is a month out and there are no TBA’s. Perhaps someone is already injured and they’re getting her ready. Hmmmm….

Isn't Irina an "off the books" coach not affiliated w. ABT?  Maybe Trenary is going the same route as Brandt - if I learn it independently I might get the role sometime.

13 minutes ago, abatt said:

Isn't Irina an "off the books" coach not affiliated w. ABT?  Maybe Trenary is going the same route as Brandt - if I learn it independently I might get the role sometime.

Irina Koplakova not Dvorovenko

Skylar Brandt said in an interview with Megan Fairchild that Kevin McKenzie gives you a heads up to be ready for a certain role, with the high likelihood that you'll get a performance because of either an injury or other reasons. You can either learn the role on your own volition, or you can actually wait to be cast.

5 hours ago, ABT Fan said:

She posted snippets of dryad queen in the same leotard/tutu which we know she has performances for. I think we may see her bc of an injury or some other reason, 

10 hours ago, canbelto said:

Skylar Brandt said in an interview with Megan Fairchild that Kevin McKenzie gives you a heads up to be ready for a certain role, with the high likelihood that you'll get a performance because of either an injury or other reasons. You can either learn the role on your own volition, or you can actually wait to be cast.

Yes, but to have a coaching session with Irina means just more than a heads up as I highly doubt Irina has time for extra coaching. We’ll just have to wait and see. Maybe McKenzie paid attention to what recently happened at NYCB with all of the injuries and illnesses wrecking havoc on casting and is prepping Trenary now. Though she certainly deserves her own show in her own right….