This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT 2020 Giselle D.C.

Casting is up!

Hurlin debuts as Myrtha opposite Lane/Simkin. Hurlin should be incredible.

Bell debuts as Albrecht opposite Boylston.

Murphy is scheduled as Giselle with her Albrecht as TBA.

The last performance on Sunday is TBA for all 3 principal roles. Brandt has recently posted on her Instagram rehearsal footage of her rehearsing Giselle w/ Irina/Max. Will she get a debut? However, she frequently posts rehearsal footage of her in principal roles that she isn't currently cast in, like during the Met season (maybe she was an understudy, or just working on it for herself). Honestly, I'd rather see Trenary in Giselle at this point.

https://www.abt.org/performances/master-calendar/

Well... casting Brandt or Trenary opposite Cornejo would make more sense than what they have now. I might have to give the Simkin/Lane performance a go - I haven't seen Hurlin enough to gauge how she would fare as Myrta.

I'm very curious who will get the TBA opposite Murphy for her return - Stearns and Whiteside are both already dancing, so I guess a guest artist. Unless they're keeping the slot warm for Hallberg?

2 minutes ago, lacdescygnes said:

I'm very curious who will get the TBA opposite Murphy for her return - Stearns and Whiteside are both already dancing, so I guess a guest artist. Unless they're keeping the slot warm for Hallberg?

I really hope no guest artists, which would be unusual on a tour anyway.

Never considered Hallberg, but when was the last time he joined the company on a tour?

I am still praying to the ballet gods that Forster is given a debut. I don't see him with Murphy, though. He'd be better with Boylston. It's early though, so casting can certainly shuffle.

Brooklyn Mack maybe?  He's on the roster as a guest artist and He's Local to the DC area.    Regarding Brandt as Giselle, I saw some footage of her dancing the roll during a Russian ballet-competition-type-TV-show.    I think she has the potential to pull it off.    

I might hop on a train to DC just to see Lane/Sinkin again. Pure heaven. Lane is without a doubt the perfect interpreter of Giselle. 

Maybe the tba with Murphy is for Lendorf? 

I think Brandt could pull off Giselle. More likely that Trenary would get her debut first though. Just like I think Brandt would get her Don Q first. 

1 hour ago, Lena C. said:

I might hop on a train to DC just to see Lane/Sinkin again. Pure heaven. Lane is without a doubt the perfect interpreter of Giselle. 

Maybe the tba with Murphy is for Lendorf? 

I think Brandt could pull off Giselle. More likely that Trenary would get her debut first though. Just like I think Brandt would get her Don Q first. 

Lendorf is no longer listed with the company. 

Would love to have seen Hoven or Whiteside in Apollo. Both have danced Balanchine. 

1 hour ago, its the mom said:

Lendorf is no longer listed with the company. 

Would love to have seen Hoven or Whiteside in Apollo. Both have danced Balanchine. 

Oh wow. That's too bad. When I saw Lendorf at a performance this past spring season, he had said he was working to come back asap. At least some more homegrown dancers will get more opportunities.

On 8/15/2019 at 10:33 PM, Lena C. said:

Oh wow. That's too bad. When I saw Lendorf at a performance this past spring season, he had said he was working to come back asap. At least some more homegrown dancers will get more opportunities.

It looks like he's as least dancing again, in this Danish Design program back in Denmark. 

https://www.bellevueteatret.dk/en/forestillinger/danish-design/

Brandt has been looking stunning in the Giselle rehearsal videos she's been posting. I agree with @ABT Fan, though, that Trenary would be at the top of my wish list for the role. I'm glad she got to dance Aurora again this spring season, but I feel as if she's more than ready to take on another leading role in full-length. 

18 minutes ago, fondoffouettes said:

Yes, and make sure you check out her Instagram stories; she has a bunch of clips there right now, as well. (You need to sign into Instagram to access them, though.)

I follow a lot of dancers on Instagram and she is making the best possible use of the medium, in my opinion -- educational, captivating; she makes you want to see her in performance. I love the detail in the coaching -- there's always more to learn, even for us long-time balletomanes.  I know others (apparently) enjoy pictures of food, pets, friends, parties, gala costumes, whatever...pretty boring very quickly...

I find the timing of Brandt's posts, corresponding with the announcement of casting for D.C. and the remaining TBA, to be very interesting. Does she know she's being considered for that slot? Is she publicly demonstrating her capacity for the role with the hopes of being cast? Or is it just a coincidence that she's working on the role with her coaches at this particular time?

I don't mean to imply any sort of criticism here — if she's putting in a bid for the role, she's doing so on her (considerable) merits, which is to be lauded IMO.

5 minutes ago, nanushka said:

I find the timing of Brandt's posts, corresponding with the announcement of casting for D.C. and the remaining TBA, to be very interesting. Does she know she's being considered for that slot? Is she publicly demonstrating her capacity for the role with the hopes of being cast? Or is it just a coincidence that she's working on the role with her coaches at this particular time?

I don't mean to imply any sort of criticism here — if she's putting in a bid for the role, she's doing so on her (considerable) merits, which is to be lauded IMO.

It's not just DC. The Met schedule for 2020 will be announced in late October, with a lot of casting (although, as we know all too well, much of that will be shuffled around later). As they skipped Giselle last season, the educated guessing is they'll do it in 2020. But this is the best kind of lobbying for a role -- showing what you'd do with it. She also has rehearsal clips from Bayadere. If they're doing Act II in Chicago on tour, that might be in the plans for Met 2020, as well. 

4 hours ago, fondoffouettes said:

Brandt has been looking stunning in the Giselle rehearsal videos she's been posting.

Thanks for the heads' up! I"m someone who does not follow the dancers on instagram, so I would have missed this. She looks great... and it's good to see Irina and Max too! I'd love to see both her and Trenary do Giselle (unlikely that both would get it, but I'd be glad to see either or both). After seeing Sarah Lamb at the Joyce over the past week and pondering her career trajectory, I can't help but wonder if Brandt could be wooed elsewhere. I'd hate for ABT to lose these gifted dancers, the way they lost Kajiya, Messmer, Riccetto, and I'm probably leaving someone out. The principal ranks are pretty full right now, but I would much rather see Brandt and Trenary than some of the current principals. 

5 minutes ago, cobweb said:

After seeing Sarah Lamb at the Joyce over the past week and pondering her career trajectory, I can't help but wonder if Brandt could be wooed elsewhere. I'd hate for ABT to lose these gifted dancers, the way they lost Kajiya, Messmer, Riccetto, and I'm probably leaving someone out. The principal ranks are pretty full right now, but I would much rather see Brandt and Trenary than some of the current principals. 

I've had the same thoughts about other companies perhaps wanting to woo Brandt, especially after she gained visibility on that Russian dancing competition. But I'm encouraged by the fact that ABT seems far more inclined to promote in-house talent than it did several years ago. Brandt may also wish to stay in the New York area to be close to family (her parents are at virtually every one of her performances) and to Hammoudi, whom she's dating (per their Instagram accounts). At least that's what I tell myself, in the hopes Brandt will stay put at ABT! 

1 hour ago, ECat said:

Speaking of Hammoudi, I do not see him cast in any of the fall ballets.

His casting has been more irregular in the past few years, I think, than in the few years before that. I’m not particularly surprised he doesn’t show up in the limited casting that’s listed on the calendar. The work with the longest list, The Seasons, is one that I don’t think he danced at the Met this spring. I wouldn’t read anything more into his absence from the lists than that his opportunities for advancement have indeed largely passed.

On 8/18/2019 at 8:04 PM, nanushka said:

His casting has been more irregular in the past few years, I think, than in the few years before that. I’m not particularly surprised he doesn’t show up in the limited casting that’s listed on the calendar. The work with the longest list, The Seasons, is one that I don’t think he danced at the Met this spring. I wouldn’t read anything more into his absence from the lists than that his opportunities for advancement have indeed largely passed.

Thank you @nanushka for the clarification.  For a minute I thought maybe he was either injured or performing elsewhere for the fall season.

On a different note, I wish they'd bring back Rodeo.  I love that ballet.

On 8/18/2019 at 11:04 PM, nanushka said:

I agree but I do think he did have an injury in the spring. If I recall he had been cast for some Purple Rothbarts and had to pull out?

1 hour ago, aurora said:

I agree but I do think he did have an injury in the spring. If I recall he had been cast for some Purple Rothbarts and had to pull out?

That's my recollection too.  I think the fact that he is not listed for any roles in the fall may be related to that  issue. 

On a separate note, I'm glad to see that Giselle remains in Stella Abrera's rep, but I have my doubts about the level of her performance going forward in this role.  The Giselle she did with Gomes at his 20th Anniversary was shaky.  I  thought she might return to  the role of Myrtha at this point.

Edited by abatt