This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Promotions

10 minutes ago, bingham said:

When did ABT announce last years promotions? There are a lot deserving a promotion especially T Forster. 

Last year it was on June 29, or at least that's when the press release is dated. The previous year it was July 7. 

Edited by fondoffouettes

Funny, I was just looking that up myself.

It's usually at the end of the Met season. Last year it was the end of June.

I expect Bell to be promoted. Would be shocked if he's not. I wonder if Shayer will finally get it, although coming off of a major injury he hasn't been cast in a large number of roles this season (which may or may not affect that).

I would love to see Forster move up, but since he wasn't given a lead in a full-length I don't think management deems him worthy. (Discounting Jane Eyre. He'd need to be given a Siegfried, Prince Desire, etc). Would love to be wrong.

I don't foresee any women being promoted to principal.

I think it'll be a very short list this year.

Added: I think when the promotions are announced, there will be at least one man joining as a principal (Mack?). With Bolle leaving, and it's super safe to say Lendorf is too, (and we all know the deal with the rest of the guys) they desperately need another leading man.

Edited by ABT Fan
26 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

I expect Bell to be promoted. Would be shocked if he's not. I wonder if Shayer will finally get it, although coming off of a major injury he hasn't been cast in a large number of roles this season (which may or may not affect that).

I would love to see Forster move up, but since he wasn't given a lead in a full-length I don't think management deems him worthy. (Discounting Jane Eyre. He'd need to be given a Siegfried, Albrecht, etc). Would love to be wrong.

Yeah, my gut feeling is that it will be a short list this year. I think Brandt is very deserving of a promotion, but I'm doubtful it will happen until there is a retirement. I do really hope Forster is promoted, though, as you say, it would be unprecedented (at least in recent memory) for a male dancer to be promoted to that rank without having danced the lead in one of the full-length warhorses. 

I agree that Bell and Shayer seem to be the most likely candidates. And perhaps Mack's guest appearances are an audition. However, I didn't realize until recently that he is 32 or 33 years old (according to Wikipedia), and when ABT has hired from the outside (Cirio, Whiteside, Simkin), they've tended to go with dancers who are younger. But who knows?

Edited by fondoffouettes

Usually they're announced at the end of the MET season. Normally shortly before July. Two years ago there was a delay, allegedly due to Part "retiring" from ABT.

I fully expect Bell to be promoted to soloist this year, and maybe another corps male too. The female soloist rank is nicely packed with great talent. I don't expect any female corps dancers to be promoted this year based on last year's promotions and Paris's successful return.

Promotions to principal: I agree that it's very likely that they'll poach a veteran dancer. They should promote a male soloist, but I'm not too optimistic about it.

As for the women, if they promote to principal, I'd expect either just Trenary or both Brandt and Trenary. This is based on their casting decisions. Management seems to prefer Trenary, although I personally prefer Brandt. However, if they do promote, that'd be a lot of women in the principal rank. I expect some retirements in the not so distant future, so it's possible they'll wait until then.

1 hour ago, ABT Fan said:

I would love to see Forster move up, but since he wasn't given a lead in a full-length I don't think management deems him worthy. (Discounting Jane Eyre. He'd need to be given a Siegfried, Prince Desire, etc). Would love to be wrong.

Added: I think when the promotions are announced, there will be at least one man joining as a principal (Mack?). With Bolle leaving, and it's super safe to say Lendorf is too, (and we all know the deal with the rest of the guys) they desperately need another leading man.

Too bad if Lendorf leaves. He had too many recent injuries though. Vladimir Shklyarov would be a good principal addition but then they would probably have to hire his wife too.

1 hour ago, bingham said:

Vladimir Shklyarov would be a good principal addition but then they would probably have to hire his wife too.

Shklyarov was the very fine Albrecht to Abrera's sublime Giselle at ABT's 75th Anniversary reunion/performance. And since I studied Russian in college, I can even pronounce it (it's quite phonetic, actually).

However, I don't know who his wife is. Anybody?

As others have mentioned, it doesn’t seem likely that there are going to be female Principal promotions this year though if there were/are, I’d say Trenary is hands down next up (Brandt as close 2nd). For principal male promotions this year, Forster and Hoven get my vote. Clearly Bell is on the Principal track though I think a year (at least) as soloist first, seems appropriate. Corps to soloist promotions, I predict only male this year as well. Bell is a shoe in and Shayer is certainly deserving, even with the injuries. Perhaps Ahn?

Soloist to Principal -

Boy, it had better be Forster among the men, perhaps also Royal. Hoven a bit bland for my taste but he's definitely capable and has paid his dues. All three have paid their dues - Forster, Hoven, Royal. As much as I've loved Mack for a long time, here in DC, I'm not so sure that he'd be taken into the company permanently. I'd squeal with joy, if so...but if they do that and keep my guy Forster out of Principal level, I will unleash the full force of my Italian temperament.

For women, Cassandra Trenary for sure. Brandt maybe, although I find her use of the "saucer eyes" a bit annoying...not so aesthetically pleasing...but she is technically capable.

Corps to Soloist -

Aran Bell - no ifs, ands, or buts! Maybe also Klein and Sebastian, if more than one or even two Soloist spots become available? Maloney and/or Shayer, if the administration wants to promote "demi-caractere" types of dancers?

Women? McBride is very impressive.

I don't see any reason Forster and Hoven shouldn't/couldn't be promoted to principal this year with the departure of Bolle and Gomes plus the limited appearances by Hallberg. And Lendorf is a puzzle, he really never got off the ground due to injury. So to me there looks to be room. I'm not in favor of bringing someone from outside when there are dancers in house that have all the goods and thensome (Forster). 

I definitely think Bell to Soloist. I hadn't thought much about the Soloist men to Principal but based on all the chatter, I think Forster, though I haven't seen him in action so I can't really form an opinion, same with Hoven. 

I definitely think Trenary and Brandt are up there to get promoted, but I hadn't even thought of the already larger number of Principal women-- though LadyBubbles is correct about retirements likely looming-- Abrera is 41 and Gillian Murphy is 40. 

Agree with the general sentiment of the men; Bolle leaving this year certainly makes way for others to leave, and therefore more to follow. I think Shklyarov would be wonderful, but unlikely, in my opinion. And yes, his wife is Maria Shirinkina, a Second Soloist at Mariinsky. 

On 6/12/2019 at 7:52 PM, AB'sMom said:

Forster and Hoven to Principals, Shayer and Bell to Soloists? I know Shayer is injured, but it seems like he put in the work in previous years. I think it would sting if Bell was promoted before him. 

I feel like Shayer would understand that his injury would set him back. Companies don't usually promote dancers who've only just come back from serious, long-term injuries. Unless they had some serious star-power. Plus (not to seem rude) where would we be if companies casted and promoted based on hurt feelings? It's just not really how management functions. 

Edited by annaewgn

Plus, I don't think there is any comparison between Bell and Shayer. Bell promises to become a principal dancer and to dance the entire repertoire of leading male roles; whereas Shayer, as someone said above, is likely to remain a demi-charactere dancer. I doubt he will ever become a principal. And lord knows, the company desperately needs principal men. 

1 hour ago, annaewgn said:

I feel like Shayer would understand that his injury would set him back. Companies don't usually promote dancers who've only just come back from serious, long-term injuries. Unless they had some serious star-power. Plus (not to seem rude) where would we be if companies casted and promoted based on hurt feelings? It's just not really how management functions. 

I think, given the needs of the company, and their respective range, plus Shayer's long injury period, that not only Bell but also Ahn, are likely to be promoted before him. Both certainly deserve soloist status (as, I believe, does Shayer)

14 minutes ago, canbelto said:

I feel like Trenary and Brandt are dancing principal workloads, so it's only fair to give them principal status. I would say the same for Thomas Forster.

I agree with this, but is there money and room for two more women in the principal ranks? I don't think Kevin M. would promote one of these ladies and not the other. IMO much depends Murphy's plans  post child birth, and Stella's plans (if any) re retirement. 

18 minutes ago, vipa said:

IMO much depends Murphy's plans  post child birth, and Stella's plans (if any) re retirement. 

While it's clear that Murphy and Abrera have to retire sooner rather than later, it could possibly still be a couple of years. See: Maria Kowroski. 

ETA: Also, vipa, what makes you think Brandt and Trenary would necessarily be promoted at the same time? If there is funding for one but not two, don't you think one would get the promotion rather than wait for funding for two?

Edited by cobweb
question
25 minutes ago, cobweb said:

While it's clear that Murphy and Abrera have to retire sooner rather than later, it could possibly still be a couple of years. See: Maria Kowroski. 

ETA: Also, vipa, what makes you think Brandt and Trenary would necessarily be promoted at the same time? If there is funding for one but not two, don't you think one would get the promotion rather than wait for funding for two?

Maybe he would promote one, but I don't think so. Their principal role workload is similar except Brandt doesn't do Aurora (correct if I'm wrong). I'm not sure how he'd justify promoting one and leaving other a soloist. Not that he has to justify anything. Personally, if I had to promote one, it would be Brandt. 

48 minutes ago, vipa said:

I don't think Kevin M. would promote one of these ladies and not the other.

Really? I have little doubt he would if it came to that.

ETA: I don’t think he’s constrained by what’s justifiable.

Edited by nanushka
2 hours ago, angelica said:

Plus, I don't think there is any comparison between Bell and Shayer. Bell promises to become a principal dancer and to dance the entire repertoire of leading male roles; whereas Shayer, as someone said above, is likely to remain a demi-charactere dancer. I doubt he will ever become a principal. And lord knows, the company desperately needs principal men. 

I agree with this. Once Bell is promoted I don’t expect him to remain a soloist for long, as long as he continues to meet every challenge and debut thrown at him which I’d expect. It say two years tops before he’s made a principal. I’d also add that what I’ve seen of Bell so far this season (I will get to see his Lankendem tomorrow) he has shown great advancement in maturity and command since last year and is a natural and confident partner. He never looks out of his element or like he’s in over his head. Unfortunately, I cannot say the same for Shayer. And, I’m not just talking about this season. He has been dancing soloist and principal roles for a few years now and to me he still carries himself like a kid. He has not developed beyond doing tricks, and though I thought he was robbed last year in not being promoted, in retrospect I think that was a wise decision.

I also agree that Ahn is on track to be promoted soon as well.

As for the women, I think it’s complicated. I don’t think there’s room at the top right now. How would Brandt and Trenary feel (and her fans) to be promoted but then NOT be given a Kitri, Giselle, O/O, etc. I don’t see how their current repertoire could be increased with the number of current female principals, especially once Murphy returns. They may be dancing a number of principal roles now but they are still carrying a soloist load as well. How many of us complained when Lane and Cirio were still doing peasant pas de trois as principals? (Though they were being underutilized for different reasons.)  Would we want to see the same happen to Brandt and Trenary? Also, there aren’t enough leading men to partner the current roster let alone more. I may feel differently tomorrow after I’ve see them both in leading roles, as so far this season I’ve only seen them in secondary or soloist parts, but I think they need another year at least before they’re promoted. Brandt needs to develop her artistic side (as with Shayer, it’s can’t be all about the tricks) and drop her self-conscious demeanor. Trenary needs more self confidence and both of them, esp Trenary, must learn to command the stage. However, I would hate for them to sit in soloist purgatory for several more years waiting for Murphy and Abrera to retire. Those ladies may be 40+ but as others have mentioned they could stick around for another 4 or 5 years.