This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT 2018 Giselle

Thanks to all for these detailed reports! I am not seeing Giselle this year, due to lack of interest in most of the casting, unable to get to the performance I most wanted to see (Lane-Simkin), doubt that Hallberg and Osipova would actually perform, and the call of the Robbins programs across the plaza. However, I am loving reading the reports. 

49 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

Lane has posted that she's doing a last minute peasant pas at today's matinee with Gorak. Trenary must be injured, like it seemed earlier, and Brandt and Hurlin can't do all of them. 

At least Lane will get another chance to perform.  Because it looks like she will be off all of next week.  Hoping Trenary will be back in time for the debut of the McGregor piece on Monday.  Not to mention her upcoming Gamzatti in Bayadere.

1 minute ago, laurel said:

At least Lane will get another chance to perform.  Because it looks like she will be off all of next week.  Hoping Trenary will be back in time for the debut of the McGregor piece on Monday.  Not to mention her upcoming Gamzatti in Bayadere.

Yes, I agree with this completely. 

10 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

Yes, I agree with this completely. 

I agree, and it's total luxury casting for the audience. But I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing Lane has no performances next week, as she'll be preparing to take on one of the most challenging roles in the rep.

Trenary has been pulled from Wednesday's Firebird. However, she's still scheduled to perform in all of her AfterRite shows and Saturday night's Firebird. My guess is that she has a minor injury or is recovering from a minor injury.

Brandt and Hurlin both have a heavy work load next week, so they probably wanted to give them a break from the Peasant Pas (both of them) today.

I need to confess that I am EXTREMELY pleasantly surprised with Seo tonight.  Her Mad Scene was splendid. She was not the crazy lunatic a la Osipova, but more the blank minded ward patient. To be honest, I even enjoyed it more than Natasha's. Right now at intermezzo. 

One word for Bolle? The man RULES! ,😍😍😍😍

Did Bolle really do 3 performances today??? That's what it looked like from his IG story. The 11:00 Kids performance, then the 2 Giselles. Or perhaps he was just indicating his admiration of the company doing 3 performances in one day. 

49 minutes ago, Barbara said:

Did Bolle really do 3 performances today??? That's what it looked like from his IG story. The 11:00 Kids performance, then the 2 Giselles. Or perhaps he was just indicating his admiration of the company doing 3 performances in one day. 

I saw his IG story too and I took that as just his admiration for the company doing 3 shows today. 

2 hours ago, cubanmiamiboy said:

I need to confess that I am EXTREMELY pleasantly surprised with Seo tonight.  Her Mad Scene was splendid. She was not the crazy lunatic a la Osipova, but more the blank minded ward patient. To be honest, I even enjoyed it more than Natasha's. Right now at intermezzo. 

I agree- Hee Seo and Bolle were absolutely wonderful tonight.   I don't recall when I last saw Hee do Giselle, but this Romantic role suited her.  And I'm so glad I got to see Bolle in this. Excellent acting, beautiful lines, strong partnering, and technique that other guys at ABT half his age can't begin to approach.  

7 hours ago, Fleurfairy said:

According to Lane’s Instagram stories, she’s got another surprise Peasant Pas this evening. I wonder who she is filling in for... 

Nice that Lane's performing more (I guess, I don't know how she feels about her schedule). However, it seems to me this would have been a great opportunity to put a promising corps member out there. P. Pas is not really super hard, and the partnering is very straight forward. Surely a lot of corps members are capable and know it. I'm just thinking about the way ABT develops or doesn't develop talent.

2 hours ago, cubanmiamiboy said:

I agree! I went to this performance for Bolle only, and was shocked by how much Seo has blossomed. Her act I Giselle was so lovely, I absolutely bought that Albrecht would fall in love with her. And their second act was achingly romantic. Bolle must be some kind of vampire to still be able to turn out performances like that. I reminded my guests beforehand that he was 43, expecting some degradation of technique, but those lines! Those lifts! Those entrechats! 

My only disappointment was Devon Teuscher's underpowered Myrtha. Her arabesques were surprisingly low, and she lacked the wild eyes and convincing intimidation of Schevchenko's rendition last year. She was just sort of...there. 

April Giangeruso's Zulma, on the other hand, was a standout. Her tragic expression and powerful dancing wove a complete story of its own. 

18 minutes ago, vipa said:

Nice that Lane's performing more (I guess, I don't know how she feels about her schedule). However, it seems to me this would have been a great opportunity to put a promising corps member out there. P. Pas is not really super hard, and the partnering is very straight forward. Surely a lot of corps members are capable and know it. I'm just thinking about the way ABT develops or doesn't develop talent.

It's almost insulting, to be honest. They give the totally untested Aran Bell a Romeo but make a principal dancer dance the Peasant Pas? There are so many talented women in the corps. Any of last year's successful Odalisques could have done it. 

6 minutes ago, Inge said:

It's almost insulting, to be honest. They give the totally untested Aran Bell a Romeo but make a principal dancer dance the Peasant Pas? There are so many talented women in the corps. Any of last year's successful Odalisques could have done it. 

I agree.  Having Lane dance the peasant pas is just insulting.  If memory serves, during the recent  ABT tour, didn't McKenzie also give Lane the peasant pas in Swan Lake?   Misty danced only one Giselle this week too.  Why not giver her one of the peasant pas?  Lane did two today.

Edited by abatt

You see...you see Big Bolle coming out on those mustard tights and the first thing you think of is..."Gluteus Maximus".

Last night really made me believe that Bolle is quite a wonder. Either he sucked vampire's blood or something...because he doesn't seem to slow down. Was anybody able to count his complete series of entrechats...? I stopped around 33 and couldn't keep counting. I was too in awe of his beautiful self-( who isn't, right..?😈)

Seo, whom I usually destroy on this forum, has all my praise and respect as Giselle. She was wonderful, lyric and technically proficient. Her balloon is beautiful, and her jetes equal any other of the current Principal, with the exception of , of course, Osipova. 

The night didn't go completely smoothly for her though. Right after coming off Bolle's arms in the section where Giselle appears running the stage as a ghost in front of him for the first time and he takes her up and puts her down quickly for her to keep running into the wings, something happened. They were both very close to the props on the downstage wings, and either he stood on her way in or she took the wrong entrance around the folliage scenery, but she took a nasty fall. People gasped, and she disappeared from view very quickly. I was expecting even for her no to show again, but she did and she completed the ballet with no other bumps.

Bolle is at this point like Osipova. They relax at knowing the ballet so well to the point of being able to play with their characters, adding little mimes and subtleties...not worries about steps any longer. 

I am VERY happy I went to see this.

Edited by cubanmiamiboy
14 minutes ago, cubanmiamiboy said:

The night didn't go completely smoothly for her though. Right after coming off Bolle's arms in the section where Giselle appears running the stage as a ghost in front of him for the first time and he takes her up and puts her down quickly for her to keep running into the wings, something happened. They were both very close to the props on the downstage wings, and either he stood on her way in or she took the wrong entrance around the folliage scenery, but she took a nasty fall. People gasped, and she disappeared from view very quickly. I was expecting even for her no to show again, but she did and she completed the ballet with no other bumps.

It looked like her foot caught the set. I think we were all holding our breath to see if she would come out again. 

And she delivered an absolute beauty of a performance! 

Cuban I counted 34-38 and the woman next to me said 42 but she is incorrect. Faux pas they added music this time which someone confirmed  

After the trip seen onstage in act two, someone saw from the side her fall on her face when she was backstage.  The thud was enormous and worrisome.  He continued without interruption. 

In act 1 she didn't jump the second time in the vertical lift so he didn't lift her at all. 

She also did not bump hard into bathilde and act startled but rather ran to her mother after a tap of the nobles and seemed almost unaware of them rather than frazzled as usual.

he varied the interpretation in act one too being less worried about nobles and being caught , and more involved with her mad scene and remembrance, moving upstage with her. That conveyed more regret or compassion.

hee said goodbye to him on media and many said he is not returning. I feared that but it was not the impression I got.

nothing special marked his anniversary but he took a longer solo bow

and why are you abandoning us canbelto?

by the way, where can I get a pair of borzoi?

Edited by Vs1