This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT 2015 Season, Continued

You have to wonder what is motivating KM. I'm sure he must see these problems time and again in her performances. Does he think the audience members are too dumb to notice. Well I guess the rich donor crowd probably had no idea since most of them go to the ballet only for galas, and they pay the bills.

They do it all to put their names on the building (at New York State), hobnob with one another, make business deals and get their faces in the society columns. Being interested in ballet dancing is not on their radar except that it makes them look cultured. Believe me, people like Lucia Chase and Lincoln Kirstein are very rare. Probably always were rare.

You have to wonder what is motivating KM. I'm sure he must see these problems time and again in her performances. Does he think the audience members are too dumb to notice. Well I guess the rich donor crowd probably had no idea since most of them go to the ballet only for galas, and they pay the bills.

He clearly wants to make the audience miserable and hate ABT by torturing us. There can be no other explanation for that and for dancers getting injured and then schedules changing so that we are inconvenienced.

Granted she was still a teen, but she had past puberty and her growing years.

Perhaps not. Part of Copeland's history is that her menarche was chemically induced when she was 19 years of age and already a member of ABT's corps. She says her body did change significantly as a result.

He clearly wants to make the audience miserable and hate ABT by torturing us. There can be no other explanation for that and for dancers getting injured and then schedules changing so that we are inconvenienced.

Staying on pointe is a skill that all dancers at ABT should have mastered. Let's not even focus on the fact that Seo is a principal. This has nothing to do with injuries. This is par for the course with Seo. It is inexcusable and unprofessional at this stage of the game.

Staying on pointe is a skill that all dancers at ABT should have mastered. Let's not even focus on the fact that Seo is a principal. This has nothing to do with injuries. This is par for the course with Seo. It is inexcusable and unprofessional at this stage of the game.

I cant agree more on this, its embarrasing and unprofessional...Any dancer can have a bad day, but this is really inexcusable and offensive to an audience that is paying high priced tickets to see these shows.

Well, her chutzpah worked; MC got her pic in Town & Country. This makes me wonder, although some on this site certainly aren't shy about deploring her behavior (and style and body and technique and...), what do other members in the company think of her? That is, what do other soloists and members of the corps, who are also working hard and hoping for casting opportunities and promotion, and presumably the principal danseurs who partner her, say about her when no one's listening? Wouldn't we just love to know...

That is, what do other soloists and members of the corps, who are also working hard and hoping for casting opportunities and promotion, and presumably the principal danseurs who partner her, say about her when no one's listening? Wouldn't we just love to know...

Do you mean, she allowed herself to be photographed on the red carpet? Did they have to be invited to have their picture taken? Were there a bunch of ABT dancers who were not allowed on it?

If I were given the opportunity to be the fly on a wall, I'd pick a wall where I could hear a lot more interesting things than this.

Do you mean, she allowed herself to be photographed on the red carpet? Did they have to be invited to have their picture taken? Were there a bunch of ABT dancers who were not allowed on it?

If I were given the opportunity to be the fly on a wall, I'd pick a wall where I could hear a lot more interesting things than this.

My understanding from the earlier report here (forget by whom) was that she got into her gown backstage at the Met, came out to the red carpet to get photographed, then went backstage again to get in costume to perform. If that's the case, I'm sure there were some eye rolls.

I don't know, if you look in Getty Images, Isabella Boylston also posed on the red carpet. So did Stephanie Williams, although I don't know if she performed. And Christine Shevchenko. Maybe it was something the company wanted.

As to the glitterati parading up and down the aisles, at the 4 or 5 gala performances I attended in the last few years, I agree--they are mostly interested in the gala and themselves, not the dancing. But the crowd has been getting noticeably younger. Many 20 and 30 something's all decked out and on display than in earlier years. Sorry to have had to miss it this year. It's always fun.

As to the glitterati parading up and down the aisles, at the 4 or 5 gala performances I attended in the last few years, I agree--they are mostly interested in the gala and themselves, not the dancing. But the crowd has been getting noticeably younger. Many 20 and 30 something's all decked out and on display than in earlier years. Sorry to have had to miss it this year. It's always fun.

i loved the ending, "american or not, a real ballerina is born, not made" uhmmmmmm go figure KM

To answer the question, yes, I did see several Hee Seo performances without any major mistakes. One was Month in the Country, and she was fantastic. Very lyrical and graceful and it was definitely her type of ballet. The other was last year, as Gamzatti. She didn't make any mistakes, she just wasn't exciting in any way and had no temperament as the spiteful princess.

Hee Seo's a lovely, lyrical dancer but she's definitely a dancer in the Julie Kent mode. 32 fouettes are not her thing. KM seems to want her to be that indestructible all in one type of ballerina (a bit like Paloma Herrera when she was younger, and nowadays Gillian Murphy), and that's not her.

Earlier today I was unsuccessful at getting my money back for the formerly Osipova/Sarafanov SB. I was,however, easily able to exchange my ticket for a Gillian Cinderella (I'm already seeing Nunez). The ticket agent seemed weary, like she'd already been barraged by complaints.

I was not able to exchange any of my tickets yesterday at the box office. Apparently, exchange is now only available to subscribers. The agent was very sympathetic and indicated that this was a relatively new ABT policy, and there were numerous complaints about it.

... if you look in Getty Images, Isabella Boylston also posed on the red carpet. So did Stephanie Williams, although I don't know if she performed. And Christine Shevchenko. Maybe it was something the company wanted.

I saw these circulated on Twitter. Copeland was certainly not the only dancer photographed on the red carpet.

I was not able to exchange any of my tickets yesterday at the box office. Apparently, exchange is now only available to subscribers. The agent was very sympathetic and indicated that this was a relatively new ABT policy, and there were numerous complaints about it.

I'm sorry about that Mirseng1. I guess that means next year I'll stick to the Trios subscription but I'll only buy that 3 minimum performances. After this year's fiasco in casting, I'd rather pay a few dollars more for dynamic pricing than lose all my money on the bait and switch stuff they've pulled this year.

I decided to keep my Kimin Kim Bayaderes because he's so phenomenal. It'll be interesting to see him completely dance Hee Seo off the stage.

BTW, I didn't see David Hallberg at all last night, either on stage at the end or in the audience. Did anyone else spot him?

I'm sorry about that Mirseng1. I guess that means next year I'll stick to the Trios subscription but I'll only buy that 3 minimum performances. After this year's fiasco in casting, I'd rather pay a few dollars more for dynamic pricing than lose all my money on the bait and switch stuff they've pulled this year.

I decided to keep my Kimin Kim Bayaderes because he's so phenomenal. It'll be interesting to see him completely dance Hee Seo off the stage.

BTW, I didn't see David Hallberg at all last night, either on stage at the end or in the audience. Did anyone else spot him?

I don't know but his public instagram seems to show he was there:

https://instagram.com/p/23vAYiRs88/?taken-by=davidhallberger