This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Cinderella

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#16 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:37 PM

The 7 bus, which goes right by Penn Station, is also full of ballet goers.

#17 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:37 PM

The 7 bus, which goes right by Penn Station, is also full of ballet goers.

#18 Kaysta

Kaysta

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:00 PM

Thanks, ya'll. I just got my tickets for tomorrow night!

#19 cobweb

cobweb

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:22 PM

Kaysta - totally safe! Good luck squeezing into the subway car.

#20 ord7916

ord7916

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:24 PM

Here is my review of tonight's Reyes / Gorak.  I enjoyed it much more than expected, particularly considering the lukewarm reviews.  The music was beautiful, probably the best of what I've heard this year.

It does takes a while to get going and there is really no excitement until the end of act one.  In the pas de quatre, none of the variations stood out, though I liked Misty Copeland and the four of them together in the finale.  

This is really a great role for Reyes.  She had a terrific scene where she did two loops around the stage (I don't know the official name for that move, so if anyone can enlighten me...)  That was the highlight of the evening.  Gorak's solo immediately following was fine, but shorter.  I was really hoping for some fireworks from him  and he had some good jumps (were they jetes, double tours?) but I don't think the choreography gave him the chance.   Reyes really shined in the pas-de-deux and Gorak partnered her well.  There was some nice and perhaps unexpected chemistry between them.

The other standout was Arron Scott as the jester.  Hope to see some more of him.  The two stepsisters worked hard and I know it's supposed to be silly, but it was a bit too silly for me.  The corps was in superb form.  

During the extended curtain calls, Reyes got four bouquets thrown up to her - three of which landed on stage and one in the orchestra pit.  For a moment, it seemed Gorak didn't realize he was supposed to scoop them up for her, prompting one person behind me to remark that's he still young - he's learning.   

#21 Colleen Boresta

Colleen Boresta

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 03:30 AM

As I recall the Prince doesn't get to do very much in Ashton's Cinderella. He basically has to be an
excellent partner. That's just the way the choreography is.

#22 Mazurka

Mazurka

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:24 AM

I found the performance yesterday delightful. The music was wonderful (Barker conducted) the choreography and music and dancing all came together! The waltz too! Youth served Gorak well, I love how weightless his jumps are and his elegance - I am not going to miss his performances in future. It would be interesting to see him Saturday without the pressure of a debut. Xiomara was charming and i concur with Ord's review on the loops, i think this role suits her well and they made a convincing pair together.
I saw Aaron Scott as Golden Idol in Bayadere and liked him enormously, no I did not see Corella nor Cornejos in the role but would be happy to see Scott again. He has the ability to make his characters very appealing.
I found the same appeal in the jester - light on his feet, lovely jumps, witty, good natured, connected to others on scene .
I found Teutscher melliflous.
The scenography was lovely after the initial obligatory kitchen, costumes and the color palette beautiful.
The sisters reminded me of 19th century illustrations to Thackeray's The Rose and the Ring a fable set in the 18th century.
It felt as if Ashton brought to life his favorite characters from a childhood book. I am beginning to understand his delicate choreography and am now going to see the Dream.
Iin all it was a light sweet and poetic evening.

#23 Mazurka

Mazurka

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:25 AM

Yes in too wish the part would give the Prince and Cinderella more dancing.

#24 its the mom

its the mom

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:28 AM

ord7916 - the loop around the stage is a menage.  Also, the prince's choreography is limited, but, having said that, it's difficult because the first thing he does is come out and start jumping, then straight into a double tour, a la seconde turns and pirouettes.  There is no warm up.  There are some nice double cabrioles and the double tour, double pirouette sequence.   I don't know if everyone does it that way - I was told by a Boston Ballet dancer that Somes taught it as double tour, single pirouette, but allowed them the double/double sequence if they could do it.  I do feel the Prince can shine in this if he is an attentive partner and good actor.  Every time I watch this version, I hold my breath as Cinderella comes down the stairs on pointe and then when the Prince lifts her and carries her down the stairs once again.  Glad the shows are going well.  Every show in Boston was sold out.

#25 ord7916

ord7916

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:52 AM

Menage!   Thank you.  I've been trying to figure that out for ages.   That is usually my favorite part of any ballet.

When the prince holds his leg out 90 degrees and spins around, is that considered a fouetté?  Whatever it was, Gorak did it well.   

Reyes was fabulous coming down the stairs and then upstage on point.  

#26 ksk04

ksk04

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:21 AM

Menage!   Thank you.  I've been trying to figure that out for ages.   That is usually my favorite part of any ballet.

When the prince holds his leg out 90 degrees and spins around, is that considered a fouetté?  Whatever it was, Gorak did it well.  

Fouette means to whip, so there needs to be an in-and-out movement of the working (or extended) leg. Holding a leg to the side and turning (without bringing it to the front and back of the knee in retire--the whipped part) is just a turn a la seconde.

Thanks for all the reviews and comments, everyone. I read them all! flowers.gif

#27 kbarber

kbarber

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:21 AM

The circular leaping around the stage is not a menage ("household"), it's a manège, pronounced man EZH, originally a horseriding term (and still is in dressage I believe). It comes from an Italian word meaning "to handle".

#28 its the mom

its the mom

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:27 PM

Thanks for the spelling correction!  

#29 Barbara

Barbara

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:02 PM

Faux pas, your description of Julie Kent as a very English ballerina I think is spot on! I studied the RAD syllabus and there was never any extraneous movement coming from the hands and wrists. It's still a look I appreciate but at the same time have grown to like the Russian expansiveness.

#30 Barbara

Barbara

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:04 PM

....to a point, and then too much yucky.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):