This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Nutcracker 2023

11 hours ago, vipa said:

Wendy Whelan gave quite a shout out to India Bradley on instagram after her dewdrop performance. "the Nutcracker just birthed an exciting new #dewdrop"

https://www.instagram.com/p/C0r8a8hpLcW/?img_index=1

Since Wendy is management, I think she should refrain from commenting on the quality of employee performances on social media, even if the comments are in praise.  

2 hours ago, abatt said:

Since Wendy is management, I think she should refrain from commenting on the quality of employee performances on social media, even if the comments are in praise.  

I tend to agree.  It’s possible to mark and celebrate a historic occasion without commenting on the quality of the performance.

That said, I would have just loved to see Bradley’s Dewdrop — have thought for years she’d be wonderful in the role.  Any reports?  

15 minutes ago, tutu said:

I tend to agree.  It’s possible to mark and celebrate a historic occasion without commenting on the quality of the performance.

That said, I would have just loved to see Bradley’s Dewdrop — have thought for years she’d be wonderful in the role.  Any reports?  

Whelan, Craig Hall, and others have described the debut as historic. Is Bradley the first Black dancer at NYCB to dance Dewdrop? 

Whelan often posts positive comments about NYCB dancers' performances on social, and it's given me pause, as well. They seem more like the posts of a fellow dancer rather than someone who's in a management position. Part of me likes that she seems very warm and encouraging toward the dancers, but I could see how it could easily be perceived as favoritism. She seems to spread the love pretty broadly, but still... 

Edited by fondoffouettes

I think key to this Wendy posting discussion is that we don't really understand the role she plays in the company -- in particular, what are her responsibilities and does Jon Stafford have final say over everything? Is she coaching? Teaching? Casting? Scheduling rep? For instance, I seem to remember that she was the one who reinforced Ratmansky's casting decision not to have Abi Stafford dance her Russian Seasons role except at her retirement. That could be because Jon Stafford recused himself, or it could be that it's her job to liaise between choreographers and dancers. Is she commenting on dancers about whom she has a major say in promoting or minimizing?

As to her posting, I think it gives clues about who is on the rise, which is probably indiscreet -- her post about lending her gig SPF tutu to Emma Von Enck was similar to the India Bradley post in tone. (I don't think it takes a post from WW to understand that EVE will soon be a principal, however!)

Edited by bellawood
4 hours ago, tutu said:

I bought my tickets right after the casting was posted, and I'm so glad I did!

Seeing her emerge in the costume was such a breathtaking moment that was made even more special by the knowledge that she is the first Black dancer to dance the role in the company's 75-year history. She truly sparkles in the role. At first, there was a hint of tentativeness on her face that melted away with each entrance and was gradually replaced by a radiant confidence. Her dancing was crisp, clean, and expansive, with buoyant jumps and some playfulness with the footwork. Though I don't consider her a natural turner, the fouette sequence was technically secure, with her opting for a pretty fast double pirouette instead of the usual attitude turn at the end. The audience was eating it up and went wild at the end. I'm excited that she gets another go at it as the nerves will have likely subsided, and she can take a few more risks with her dancing.

Mira Nadon was an enchanting SPF, full of warmth and at times mystery. Lauren Collett was a lovely Marzipan, sailing through the gargouillades and turns with ease.

17 hours ago, 27dinnerplates said:

I bought my tickets right after the casting was posted, and I'm so glad I did!

Seeing her emerge in the costume was such a breathtaking moment that was made even more special by the knowledge that she is the first Black dancer to dance the role in the company's 75-year history. She truly sparkles in the role. At first, there was a hint of tentativeness on her face that melted away with each entrance and was gradually replaced by a radiant confidence. Her dancing was crisp, clean, and expansive, with buoyant jumps and some playfulness with the footwork. Though I don't consider her a natural turner, the fouette sequence was technically secure, with her opting for a pretty fast double pirouette instead of the usual attitude turn at the end. The audience was eating it up and went wild at the end. I'm excited that she gets another go at it as the nerves will have likely subsided, and she can take a few more risks with her dancing.

Mira Nadon was an enchanting SPF, full of warmth and at times mystery. Lauren Collett was a lovely Marzipan, sailing through the gargouillades and turns with ease.

Oh, that sounds just wonderful.  I think that Bradley is just such a special dancer — such presence! — and with Nadon as SPF?  Utterly dreamy.  

If we can manage to get tickets without breaking the bank, we’ll try to see this cast.

Edited to Add:  Just called the box office — they confirmed that Nutcracker is completely sold out besides standing room for the run.  Bad news for us, but great news for the company!

Edited by tutu
2 hours ago, tutu said:

Oh, that sounds just wonderful.  I think that Bradley is just such a special dancer — such presence! — and with Nadon as SPF?  Utterly dreamy.  

If we can manage to get tickets without breaking the bank, we’ll try to see this cast.

Edited to Add:  Just called the box office — they confirmed that Nutcracker is completely sold out besides standing room for the run.  Bad news for us, but great news for the company!

Look online.  It is not sold out for the entire run.  I just looked at a date during the final week of the run and there were seats.

I would love to see Nadon's Sugarplum, and there are a few seats left but those prices are too much for me. I paid way too much to see the Von Enck/Mejia/Peck cast last week and can't justify $155 for a decent seat to see the Nadon cast. Even seats in the back of the 4th ring are $125. Good for NYCB, but bad for me!

Edited by nysusan
fixed typos

I am astonished they are selling out, especially at those ticket prices! I do wonder where this high demand is coming from, since I've heard performing arts ticket sales are down generally post-pandemic... but good for them!

Looking ahead to the Winter season. I see that Ashley Bouder was not cast at all in Nutcracker. I wonder if we will see a retirement from her. The program I'm most looking forward to for Winter is Four Temperaments/Liebeslieder Walzer. She has roles in both of those, but obviously Liebeslieder would be more likely for Bouder. While I hope she gets a great send-off (whenever that may be, Winter or otherwise), I would rather see some fresh casting in Liebeslider. I'm trying to recall who did which roles last time around, does anyone recall or have old programs handy? Lovette, Hyltin, and Reichlen all had roles. 

I love Liebeslieder and I believe I already have tickets. I think it's great that they're showing it with 4T. Unity Phelan was wonderful in Liebeslieder last time I saw it. She and Lauren Lovette may have shared a role. Maria Kowrowski, Rebecca Krohn, and Tiler Peck also danced Liebeslieder. I seem to remember Megan Fairchild and Sterling Hyltin dancing the same role; the hostess (there's one couple that seems to be hosting to me. I think they linger at the end, or come in last when the couples are listening to the music). 

Here's a picture of one Liebeslieder cast from Maria Kowroski's IG, March 2019. I don't think this is the most recent time NYCB performed it, but... that pandemic changed my sense of time.

Sterling Hyltin-Jared Angle,

Ashley Laracey-Justin Peck,

Ashley Bouder-Tyler Angle,

Maria Kowroski-Ask LaCour.

They'll need a bunch of new men, too. They had two casts that year. I think I saw the other cast, but I may have seen both. Alexa Maxwell would be great in this.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuhMUyYn8dY/

Edited by BalanchineFan
On 12/11/2023 at 12:15 PM, tutu said:

Given the NYC Ballet IG posts on Bradley's debut, it's not like management support or enthusiasm is a secret. This must have been in the works for some time. The dancers can see who is getting roles and who has support and press well before Wendy posts anything. Should they hide the fact that she's the first person of color to dance the role? Or pretend like she wasn't good and deserving?  75 years is a long time! No Black women except a handful in the corps in corps roles.

I can name the Black women I've seen on that stage over the past 44 years from memory. Five of them are young and recent enough to still be there. I may not have seen them all but I only get to ten corps members. 

Debra Austin

Andrea Long Naidu

Cynthia Lochard

Aesha Ashe

Olivia Boisson

India Bradley

Savannah Durham

Rachel Hutsell

Olivia Bell

Mia Williams

Edited by BalanchineFan
Correction
47 minutes ago, BalanchineFan said:

Here's a picture of one Liebeslieder cast from Maria Kowroski's IG, March 2019. I don't think this is the most recent time NYCB performed it, but... that pandemic changed my sense of time.

Sterling Hyltin-Jared Angle,

Ashley Laracey-Justin Peck,

Ashley Bouder-Tyler Angle,

Maria Kowroski-Ask LaCour.

They'll need a bunch of new men, too. They had two casts that year. I think I saw the other cast, but I may have seen both. Alexa Maxwell would be great in this.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuhMUyYn8dY/

I saw this cast. Pretty sure this was the last time it was performed. Indiana Woodward recently posted a photo or footage of her rehearsing the ballet (must have been in stories, so I can't share link), so she's one likely cast member. 

46 minutes ago, BalanchineFan said:

I can name the Black women I've seen on that stage over the past 44 years from memory. Five of them are young and recent enough to still be there. I may not have seen them all but I only get to ten corps members. 

Also Myrna Kamara,  who went on to have a big career in Europe.  I saw her perform many times.  While I never saw her with NYCB,  long ago Mary Hinkson from the Martha Graham Company was a guest artist,  dancing a pas de deux with Arthur Mitchell.

Edited by On Pointe
Typo
3 hours ago, cobweb said:

I just love Debra Austin in that video (on youtube) of Ballo della Regina!

She’s beautiful. A Black woman actually had a solo choreographed on her by George Balanchine. When I saw it I acted like the story Oprah tells from her childhood, running down the street yelling, “Black folks on TV!” 

I don't think Wendy is wrong to post about Bradley being the first African American woman to dance Dewdrop at the company.  But it is not appropriate for a manager to publicly comment on the quality of any employee's performance.  Does Wendy's silence on the debuts of other people in various roles this season mean that management was not happy with the work of those employees in their debuts?  Employee review and performance by management is a very sensitive topic best left to conversations in private, not in public social media posts by your managers. 

On 12/15/2023 at 8:42 PM, cobweb said:

I just love Debra Austin in that video (on youtube) of Ballo della Regina!

Debra Austin was a wonderful dancer. It's not Balanchine but I love her performance of La Sylphide at Pennsylvania Ballet. Here's one short example. There are other longer excerpts on youtube.

22 hours ago, abatt said:

I don't think Wendy is wrong to post about Bradley being the first African American woman to dance Dewdrop at the company.  But it is not appropriate for a manager to publicly comment on the quality of any employee's performance.  Does Wendy's silence on the debuts of other people in various roles this season mean that management was not happy with the work of those employees in their debuts?  Employee review and performance by management is a very sensitive topic best left to conversations in private, not in public social media posts by your managers. 

That’s the distinction I’m feeling here as well.  Bradley’s debut can and should be individually celebrated.  I just am uncomfortable with a review of the quality of the performance being included in comments from management.

I may be splitting hairs here — the only piece of Whelan’s post that makes me cock my head is the use of the words “exciting” and “Bravo,” which to me imply judgment on quality of performance.  Otherwise the separate post, language, press coverage, etc. seems entirely appropriate. 

Edited by tutu

Nutcracker is about so much more than Ballet. I was at the 1 o’clock matinee today. It was the perfect time to take a young child for the first time, as at least half the audience had done. I stood in the fourth Ring next to a parent whose daughter was a soldier in the first half. They would be leaving at intermission. She has a 5 pm show, too. 

The audience laughed at Fritz’s antics and several children gasped audibly when he broke the Nutcracker.  During intermission many children did their own dances inspired by what they had just seen. 

Alexandra Hutchinson was a lovely Dewdrop, athletic with strong balances and exceptional attitude turns. There are stylistic differences evident to those accustomed to seeing NYCB dancers in the role, she is less mannered in the arms and fingers, for example, but with her buoyant jump and graceful presence she had fans up to the 4th Ring. 

I was happy to see a new Marzipan, Lauren Collett. Dark haired and long limbed, her footwork was fleet and she seemed to take risks  stepping into pointe in a wide 2nd position. Shelby Mann and Zoe Bliss Magnusen were charming, well matched and secure as the Dolls

Unity Phelan and Joseph Gordon as SPF and Cavalier brought more glamour and  pyrotechnics. Phelan is more assured than last year, playing with the music and responding to the young prince, eating up space in her manege of turns. There’s a spectacular finish to her dancing. Gordon is a lovely prince, it’s amazing that such powerful jumps and turns can land so softly, silently. 

A different conductor was announced and at times a few dancers seemed to be at odds with the music. Candy Cane missed his last hoop jumps but finished nobly, making up for it in the coda. Mackenzie Soares’ Mother Ginger is the most strict and sober I’ve seen, the Polichinelles as delightful as ever. Coffee had to contend with a wailing child. Jenelle Manzi danced ably, but doesn’t quite reach the seamless, languid heights of other Coffees. She doesn’t have Kikta’s height or length on her side.  Remembering Whelan in the role you had a sense of fires burning down below, some great engine stoking her along, whatever rhythm the choreography called for. 

As I left, a father was complimenting his child, carrying her in his arms, “Your first show. You were great!” I thought he, too, was parent to a young cast member, but no, he was just commending his toddler for behaving throughout her first live performance in the audience. Somehow, on this rainy Sunday, that seemed just as appropriate a Nutcracker moment as anything related to ballet. 

Edited by BalanchineFan