This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Nutcracker 2023

Just watching the old video of Ashley Bouder as Dewdrop, and wow does she look amazing! Not sure when that video was taken, but the Flowers look like Rebecca Krohn and Lauren King, and I think I see a young Emily Kikta and Emilie Gerrity in the corps. I hope to see, or had hoped to see, a performance or two this week, but it looks totally sold!! Do they ever open standing room for Nut, does anyone know?

7 hours ago, cobweb said:

Just watching the old video of Ashley Bouder as Dewdrop, and wow does she look amazing! Not sure when that video was taken, but the Flowers look like Rebecca Krohn and Lauren King, and I think I see a young Emily Kikta and Emilie Gerrity in the corps. I hope to see, or had hoped to see, a performance or two this week, but it looks totally sold!! Do they ever open standing room for Nut, does anyone know?

They used to. Standing room is at the back (or, one might say, the TOP) of the fourth ring. Just last night I got tickets to a matinee on Friday Dec 20th. We couldn't find three seats together anywhere. It looks like it's selling quite well. Bring your binoculars, folks.

I love that film. I saw Rebecca Krohn and Lauren King leading the Flowers, too. There's another on Youtube with Megan Fairchild as Dewdrop.

14 hours ago, Rose said:

Bouder DID look amazing. She thinks she is still just as amazing now. She has plenty of blind eyes to back her up.

At some point, she needs to see the writing on the wall. She has been guesting in Pennsylvania Regional Ballet's Nutcracker this week and her partner, Sean Rollofson, posted some rehearsal footage: https://www.instagram.com/p/C0SW_EIPDZV/.

I suppose she may still be cast as Sugarplum in the final two weeks of NYCB's run, though I think Dewdrop is out of the question. 

1 hour ago, Helene said:

Sean Rollofson!  He used to dance with Pacific Northwest Ballet and was a terrific dancer.

I had no idea he used to be a PNB dancer. Kathryn Morgan dances with him a lot for gigs; you can probably find footage of them dancing together on her YouTube account if you're curious. 

Edited by fondoffouettes

Rollofson grew up here -- across the Lake -- and went to the PNB school.  I first noticed him when he was a tween or teen, and he danced Chinese Tiger in the Stowell/Sendak Nutcracker.

He left PNB and danced on Broadway before returning to ballet.  In 2017 he joined BalletMet, but I'm not sure if that was straight from Broadway.

Thanks for sharing the City Center Nutcracker program, BalanchineFan. It was so enjoyable to watch. Suki Schorer is a treasure. I thought Ashley Hod looked quite good. Last season, according to her instagram, she didn't do any new roles because she was recovering from foot surgery. I expect to see more of her in the winter and spring.

Edited by vipa
2 minutes ago, Jacqueline said:

Ava Sautter posted footage of herself rehearsing the Sugarplum solo on Instagram a few hours ago.  I don't know what that portends for the final week of Nutcracker but hope they give her a chance!  

Ava Sautter seems like an obvious choice for Sugarplum! I would love to see a whole slew of debuts for the final week.  

9 minutes ago, matilda said:

Nice footage of Ava but since that's not the Balanchine choreography, I wouldn't assume she's in the running for an SPF debut any time soon. Alexa Maxwell and Olivia MacKinnon have to be next in line. 

Interesting, matilda, I did not notice that.  Could she be rehearsing for a gig?  Are corps members even able to do gigs with their heavy Nutcracker workload?

2 hours ago, cobweb said:

Nothing for Alexa Maxwell this season except for Coffee and Flowers? Baffling. 

I agree that this is strange. Maybe she'll get something else in the final week. She seems so ready for Dewdrop and Sugar Plum. 

I'm happy to see Miriam Miller being cast in SP . I saw her perform the pad a couple of times in Vail this summer, and Heather Watts coached her quite a bit. I'm sure she'll be lovely and fill the music to the utmost.

3 hours ago, matilda said:

Nice footage of Ava but since that's not the Balanchine choreography, I wouldn't assume she's in the running for an SPF debut any time soon. Alexa Maxwell and Olivia MacKinnon have to be next in line. 

I’m sure Olivia McKinnon will be dancing SPF the final week. (Surprised she was not cast for week 5.) She has danced before, and it is a great role for her.

Love to see Alex and Maxwell as well.

I thought Ashley Hod looked lovely at City Center Studio 5. She and Chan looked marvelous together.

Edited by Fernie M
So
11 hours ago, Jacqueline said:

Ava Sautter posted footage of herself rehearsing the Sugarplum solo on Instagram a few hours ago.  I don't know what that portends for the final week of Nutcracker but hope they give her a chance!  

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C0e1UaxgJwv/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Ooh, Bolden and Kikta as SPF and Cavalier! I wish I had tickets to that! I don't particularly like the casting I ended up with, but I'm sure it will be fine.

17 hours ago, fondoffouettes said:

At some point, she needs to see the writing on the wall. She has been guesting in Pennsylvania Regional Ballet's Nutcracker this week and her partner, Sean Rollofson, posted some rehearsal footage: https://www.instagram.com/p/C0SW_EIPDZV/.

I suppose she may still be cast as Sugarplum in the final two weeks of NYCB's run, though I think Dewdrop is out of the question. 

He must be a strong one. 

3 hours ago, BalanchineFan said:

Ooh, Bolden and Kikta as SPF and Cavalier! I wish I had tickets to that! I don't particularly like the casting I ended up with, but I'm sure it will be fine.

You could create a posting on Cash or Trade (App). It’s very easy to use. Not only could you see if someone wants to trade, but you could see if somebody was selling their tickets. We had tickets to PNB Nutcracker and ended up not going to Seattle. I put tickets on the day of and got rid of them very easily.

Curious for any reports! I'm glad it's selling so well, but for me, the ticket prices are forbidding, and I suspect for many of us here as well. I see Olivia MacKinnon did Dewdrop tonight. Not a debut, but I am curious to hear how she does in this role, as I've had my doubts about her promotion to soloist but occasionally have gotten a glimmer of why she was promoted. Also, how about Ashley Hod last night?